No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Hi all.   I'm not new to BPC, but I am new to the forum.  I've been trying to figure out how to make this work for me.  Soooo glad I found this thread.  I downloaded the book tonight after reading your posts and questions. 

I'm 55 yrs old and have not been able to drop about 18 pounds that have crept on over the last 3 years.  I eat so clean, and mostly Paleo - we follow it closely but do cheat from time to time.   It feels as if I'm just stuck in chubby mode and it feels horrible. 

I'm currently on 1 hormone replacement, and have border-line low thyroid which is not being treated at all.  I feel like going to the doctore is like a crap shoot half the time anyway.  It seems that I can get myself back in balance hormone-wise and get my body burning fat again like it used to by following this diet. 

Anyway, happy to be aboard, and I'll be devouring the book.  Thank you for all of the previous questions and comments.  I already feel like I have a head start as a lot of my questions have already been answered. 

• Hi Kat.  I am new to the forum too; nice screenname.  :)  I have Hashimoto's (opposite of Grave's) and on Armour thyroid (I am currently weaning down - and possibly off). Sorry to hear they removed your thyroid to combat the Grave's.  

In Skye's book (been home sick and read it in its entirety), touches on supplements beginning on page 57; most of her suggestions tie into thyroid health AND adrenal fatigue.

Particularly for adrenals: Vitamin C, Potassium, Magnesium, Pink salt, B vitamins (especially B12, B-Complex).  For thyroid: again, magnesium is important as well as the B vitamins.  Adding to this for most of us with thyroid issues would be selenium.  

Depending on what thyroid medication you are taking - and how well you convert T4 to T3 -- could be the magic bullet in terms of feeling better.  

In addition, I have thyroid issues. When I was 14 I had my thyroid removed because of Graves' Disease- that was 9 years ago. I've been on hormone replacement ever since. Despite my hormones being in the "normal" range, I seem to still have hypothyroid symptoms. I'm hoping that cleaning up my diet will help! Does anyone know if there are supplements or anything that help with thyroid hormones or the adrenal problems that often accompany thyroid problems? 

Anyway, I really appreciate all of the great info you guys share on here! It's really helpful :)

• Good afternoon,

New-comer here.  I have spent that past week reading all 19 pages here.  I ordered you book Skye and read it all last night.  I have been on the keto diet plan since July 1st (started with a month of coaching).  I haven't lost any weight (wish to lose 5-10 lbs and tone).  I have hyperthyroid and a very messed elimination system.  (can't have a BM without high doses of magnesium citrate and Calm). I don't cheat and even spent the past 6 months logging foods and doing all the research I can.  It's been a journey and positive one at that.

Like many, I am nervous about the carb-refeeds, I thinking mainly because I don't trust myself.  I am a type A personality who loves structure, so learning to listen to my body and not throw in the towel when I add in carbs will be a learning curve for me.  One I welcome, but again, I am scared about.  

I have yet to add ANY exercising into my keto plan.  Been healing and getting myself out of chronic fatigues (mentally and physically) but I need to do something.  I was getting ready to do some ordering on-line for the kettlebell but then I got to wondering if I should...  I was DX'd about 3 months ago with moderate arthritis in my neck and a narrowing in my C4 and 5.  So, sadly I suffer daily with neck pain... This has me nervous with exercising.  Do you have any suggestions?  I know I would benefit from HIT workouts but not sure which would best for my situation.  

Anyway, good to be here.  Have a blessed New Year celebration!

• GreerGreer
    edited January 2015

I bought Skye's book 25 December here in Australia (kindle version) and it is really helpful - thanks Skye  so much for putting it together! So appreciate getting woman specific info. I also so appreciate the generosity you have show on this forum - in responding to specific questions and for you generosity in sharing your knowledge (which is awesome!)

I have a couple of questions that someone might help me with:

first my specs

do not really need to loose lot of weight but do need to get muscles healthy and get rid of exhaustion... have had ongoing muscle problems for last 10 years, yet am quite strong. I am an artist and need to be physically strong to make, move and install the work I make.

I use natural hormone replacement therapy NHRT which keeps my hormones in check (it is monitored monthly) 

On reading through some of these 19 pages (!!) I ran into a post Skye made about estrogen and fat - saying if estrogen is high you will have trouble loosing fat - my NHRT keeps my estrogen level according to my bloods (and symptoms) done a month or so ago (my estrogen fluctuates and I had to reduce it for this round) Could it be on this diet that it is changing my estrogen and my NHRT are making it too high?

Early 2014 I went on law carb and being low fat diet to deal with reflux issues - it worked for that but was not really that balanced and I was lazy (too busy actually) and eat too much of the same foods day in and day out - it was not based on 'clean food'. but I suddenly lost 13 kg without even thinking was not intended ...but I took it :smile: but at the end of this weight loss I also suddenly lost a huge amount of my already somewhat small breasts - like overnight! Also started feeling unwell generally, so went to naturopath who said breast loss was about hormone change due to food change  (I was new to all that ) he put me back on carbs gluten free ones quinoa, amaranth etc...... but slowly I found myself easing back to eating (craving) bad carbs (sugar, soy...) and again not feeling so good with a bit of weight gain - alarm bells !!!   hence looking for something new and finding BP and now NFFBFW.

Does anyone know anything about using hormone replacement and IF / NFFBFW?

I think BP IF is a great way to go and want to incorporate it in my life ( love not having to think about food for most of the day) -- am really excited that there is your book and this forum to discuss how it works for women!

>> best wishes to all for a new year filled with great clean food, eating lots of fat and growing health and strength - go girls! <<

• I am in Australia and have been trying to get the ebook, it just goes to the American site instead of the Au site and wants to me to change the password which I think will mess up my other purchases.

I love this content,
  • Hi Greer

Sorry I didn't get to the end of the thread before I posted. Please let me know how you got the kindle version.
  • "Does anyone know anything about using hormone replacement and IF / NFFBFW?"   ~ Greer, I have the same question.  According to JJ Virgin, who is a BP lover, women should never IF, but Skye says yes.  So I'm lost on which way it is supposed to go.  At this point I'm doing my BP coffee around 7am, then eat a small amount about 11 when I get hungry.   Also, I was curious if any had a carb/prot/fat % per day that is good for women. 

• GreerGreer
    edited January 2015

Hi Greer

Sorry I didn't get to the end of the thread before I posted. Please let me know how you got the kindle version.

hi Kris08 I had to sign up to the Australian Kindle site - yes it was a bit round about but just follow it through and it ends up working fine and you only need to do it once... you can search on the main Amazon site but when you want to purchase a kindle book you are taken to the Australian Amazon page with your log in still active - good thing is the  price is in AUS $. That is how it worked for me - hope it works for you.

Skye's book is great and so worth having.

"Does anyone know anything about using hormone replacement and IF / NFFBFW?"   ~ Greer, I have the same question.  According to JJ Virgin, who is a BP lover, women should never IF, but Skye says yes.  So I'm lost on which way it is supposed to go.  At this point I'm doing my BP coffee around 7am, then eat a small amount about 11 when I get hungry.   Also, I was curious if any had a carb/prot/fat % per day that is good for women. 

Hi Linda My understanding is that women should never do straight IF ie no food at all in the 16 hours (men can). But by having butter coffee or tea in the morning the woman's body fairs well. I have the BulletProof book on Kindle too and Dave talks about some women's issues as well - well worth getting as it also has some good recipes even though some have foods which are not allowed on the NFFBFW but they can be adapted - but I digress...

Try not to eat before the 1pm window (ie 16 hours after you last ate) as it throws out all the good work - have more butter drinks - if you do not want to have second coffee try the vanilla-no-coffee version ( in the  BP book and on the web site somewhere I think??) I also read about sprinkling cinnamon on my BPC somewhere in this thread and it is really gorgeous - am also weakening my brew and having coconut oil as well as MCT as it tastes fuller to me. If you must eat: try TBLSP grass fed butter mixed with BP chocolate powder is amazing - as it is only fat it will not affect your fast. As Skye says do not be afraid of good fat - eat as much as you want and need.

I am still coming to grips with the detailed mechanisms of IF but among other things it does help the body stay in a fat burning mode ( all to do with insulin which I do not yet understand)  - it also keeps up the autophagy which is when the body remove toxins (see BP book). It also give the body a respite from the full on digestion process - I guess much like there is 3 days in between work outs to allow recovery - the body needs both activity and rest to become strong but as far as food is concerned so many of us have been feeding our bodies every couple of hours with only a few hours of respite -sleep- before we hit it with another load to deal with... I can hear my body thanking me for giving it some time to rest and recover :smile:

I love BP IF - I do not have to worry about food for most of the day - I feel better, I love the coffee ( and its variations) and then I love breaking the fast with healthy food - been having super simple soups lately  (steam veggies, blend with butter, fresh herbs if desired and water to desired consistency ... serve with salt)  with left over meat for protein. There is a lovely discipline in IF/NFFBFW routine which I am really relishing and hope will spill into other parts of my life which have been rather chaotic. And with the knowledge gained from the BP book about how to cook I am really enjoying that too - lowest heat possible - slow and oh so yummy - again a routine I hope will spill over :smile:

So much of this is about changing old habits - read something on the Whole30 website (Skye mentioned them in her book) and they talk about not trying to make the foods we used to eat with the allowable foods eg do not try to make pancakes out of some 'allowable' food because it just keep the headspace and body attuned to the idea of eating pancakes - only a small step to start re-eating the ones that are full of "crap". I really like that advice and am trying to make different kinds of food to suit the different kind of diet and body I want :smile:

Still would like to understand better the effect of the diet on estrogen and how do I deal with my NHRT - there is something Skye wrote in this thread buried in the 19 pages which I will have to dig up again - not specifically about NHRT  but about estrogen.

Will get back once I track it down.

Hi Greer

BTW - you can edit any post you make - just hit the edit button which comes up at the bottom right of any of your posts if your are logged in :smile:

here's to our mutual journeys to better health! 

• Greer - I have to agree about the cinnamon.  I add it to my BP coffee every time. Love it!   I know you're gonna think I'm nutso, but I am not a chocolate fan.  I ordered Dave's vanilla to use instead for when I want a treat. 

Just curious about the timing.   My day starts early and I'm in bed by 9.  So by the time 1 pm comes around, it is has been longer than 16 hours since I've eaten.  Can one follow the 8 feeding window/16 fasting window using the hours that best fit their lives. . .  or does one need to start the feeding window at 1 pm? 

BTW - I neglected to mention that I, too, am on bioidentical hormones.  I'm 55 and mine were really wonky, so working with a great dr to get things balanced out chemically.  She advocates diet first, supplement as needed which I love.

Here's to our health!!! 

• Season10Season10 Trying to survive

Linda I am up at 4am sometimes 5 depending on when I have to be at work. It fluctuates, which can be hard to get into a routine.  The 1pm rule is for the normal work day.  I'm in bed by 8 or 8;30  last meal is around 6 or 7pm  The important thing is 16-18 of fasting.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

• Season10Season10 Trying to survive

The important issue is the 16-18 window.  Whatever your schedule is.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

• I am new to this diet. I have just finished reading the BP diet book and the No Fail Fat Burning book- so much good information! However, I really need help with the supplements...

My diet has been sub-par for quite some time (I've been adhering to the low-fat stupidity for years), so I thought it would be beneficial to take the 10 supplements Dave recommends, as well as the probiotic recommended by Skye. For the last two mornings, I've taken the betaine HCl with my coffee, as well as vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, foiling acid, B12, Vitamin C Iodine, Selenium, and Copper. Both times I did this, I got sick within 10 minutes. I haven't been able to keep it down. If anyone has suggestions, that would be awesome. I got the brands recommended in the books, so they should be high quality supplements. I guess I'll just start experimenting with taking one at a time to see if there's something in particular that makes me sick. I take my thyroid meds in the morning, so I can't have those coming back up every day... 

Please help!! 

• I am new to this diet. I have just finished reading the BP diet book and the No Fail Fat Burning book- so much good information! However, I really need help with the supplements...

My diet has been sub-par for quite some time (I've been adhering to the low-fat stupidity for years), so I thought it would be beneficial to take the 10 supplements Dave recommends, as well as the probiotic recommended by Skye. For the last two mornings, I've taken the betaine HCl with my coffee, as well as vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, foiling acid, B12, Vitamin C Iodine, Selenium, and Copper. Both times I did this, I got sick within 10 minutes. I haven't been able to keep it down. If anyone has suggestions, that would be awesome. I got the brands recommended in the books, so they should be high quality supplements. I guess I'll just start experimenting with taking one at a time to see if there's something in particular that makes me sick. I take my thyroid meds in the morning, so I can't have those coming back up every day... 

Please help!! 

oh dear - this doesn't sound like much fun! If you've been low-fat for a while, BPC - even with the betaine - might just be a bit too much for your system (also if you're sensitive to caffeine that can exaggerate your response to the fat, i.e. if it was already making you a bit queasy, the caffeine might make it much worse). Were you already drinking coffee? If so, can you try just a tiny amount of butter in it at first? And maybe hold off on the supplements besides D and betaine HCL, or at least put the other supplements with meals later in the day unless they're specifically geared toward morning.  Another option is having your BPC with some protein in the morning. There are lots of women who just find that works better for them (temporarily or long term). 

But I'm not an expert! More experienced folks will probably give additional suggestions, and I would definitely have a look at the main part of the forum for more ideas. I think this happens to new folks sometimes and I bet there are a lot of great posts about it. 

• oh dear - this doesn't sound like much fun! If you've been low-fat for a while, BPC - even with the betaine - might just be a bit too much for your system (also if you're sensitive to caffeine that can exaggerate your response to the fat, i.e. if it was already making you a bit queasy, the caffeine might make it much worse). Were you already drinking coffee? If so, can you try just a tiny amount of butter in it at first? And maybe hold off on the supplements besides D and betaine HCL, or at least put the other supplements with meals later in the day unless they're specifically geared toward morning.  Another option is having your BPC with some protein in the morning. There are lots of women who just find that works better for them (temporarily or long term). 

But I'm not an expert! More experienced folks will probably give additional suggestions, and I would definitely have a look at the main part of the forum for more ideas. I think this happens to new folks sometimes and I bet there are a lot of great posts about it. 

Thanks for responding! I know I'm not sensitive to caffeine (at least not to the 1-2 cups I'm having) because I've been drinking coffee- and soda :( - for the last few years. I probably am a bit sensitive to the fat, but I've had BP coffee without any supplements and haven't gotten that sick (just mild GI upset- sorry if that's TMI). I will follow your advice and see how I do on just the betaine HCl and vitamin D before adding in the rest. 

• Linda I am up at 4am sometimes 5 depending on when I have to be at work. It fluctuates, which can be hard to get into a routine.  The 1pm rule is for the normal work day.  I'm in bed by 8 or 8;30  last meal is around 6 or 7pm  The important thing is 16-18 of fasting.

That's what I understood.  Yep, I'm in bed by 9 or 9:30 with my last meal by 6.  I think I'm on a good feed/fast schedule, then.  I guess I was misunderstanding what someone else was saying.  Thanks for clarifying. 

• LindaLinda
    edited January 2015

Hi Kat. Taking the majority of my supplements with my first meal helped at the beginning.  I'm able to have them with my BP coffee now without an issue.    I agree with your idea, too.   Take your thyroid with your BCP and make sure that's okay.  Then start adding one supplement at a time until you figure out which is upsetting your stomach. 

Wishing you luck on your journey.  Happy to have another friend on the path to health. 

Edit:   I wanted to add that I am not an expert either.  Just stating what worked for me. 

• Thanks Greer for answering my questions re my Kindle and I was unsure about the edit. I really want to read Skye's book.
  • We are all learning... but this thread it amazing - am leaning so much and gaining allies :-)

re when to take supps - According to Skye's program in the book she recommends taking soil based probiotic, D3 and K2 in morning only (I guess you would add Bentain HCL if you have problem with the butter coffee fat). Charcoal is taken at 11 am and other sups and around 5ish in afternoon.

Here is a the program for a regular IF day copied from the book with italics by me:

Wake take soil-based probiotic, vitamins D3 & K2, drink butter coffee(s) or butter tea(s) until 1 pm (or when you food window opens)

11 am 2-5 caps of activated charcoal with 8oz (230ml) water, away from meds & food (couple of hours before you food window opens)

1 pm – 9 pm eat fat, veggies and protein (or whatever your 8 hour eating window is)

5 pm Take other vitamins and supplements (I guess this means in the middle of the food window which might not upset the stomach so much)

Kat Throwing up sounds horrible - I hope you are able to sort it out - all those supps are expensive and seeing them go down the drain would be painful on all accounts.  I think we have all been caught up in the law fat thing - it sucks! My husband still thinks I am going to die of a heart attach as I eat all the fat off my grass fed and finished steak :-)

BTW - I neglected to mention that I, too, am on bioidentical hormones.  I'm 55 and mine were really wonky, so working with a great dr to get things balanced out chemically.  She advocates diet first, supplement as needed which I love.

I agree with that so much - be interesting to see how this diet does affect estrogen. I reckon NHRT saved my life - it took quite a while to get it really balanced but now it ticks over well with only little adjustments now and then.

Khris08 - I know you will enjoy the book - good luck with Amazon 

• OK found the bit Skye wrote about estrogen - it was in relation to alcohol but it dose seem relevant to the discussion - If I read this right if our estrogen is high for whatever reason it will affect how our bodies carry / burn fat. Does anyone know anything more about this relationship?

"I know I say it over and over in the book but this is something women really need to understand because we are more estrogen dominant. Alcohol increases estrogen levels. As women, this has a direct impact on the fat we carry and what happens with our fat cells: Drinking alcohol almost completely shuts down your body's fat burning ability (among a host of other problems on our already over taxed livers). The more estrogen dominant we are and our carb consumption habits before the protocol mean the little cheats in the beginning might have more negative impacts on your individual success."

posted by Skye St. John on 10 October 2014 - 04:56 AM 

• Greer, I know that somewhere I read that there's a link between excess estrogen and where our fat is (higher cortisol leads to more weight around the middle - we hear that all the time - but I think too much estrogen leads to heavier thighs and maybe arms?). In any case, the interplay among all the hormones is so interesting and complicated, and imbalances are reflected in many ways .... you've heard some of Dr Gottfried's work?

My diet has been sub-par for quite some time (I've been adhering to the low-fat stupidity for years), so I thought it would be beneficial to take the 10 supplements Dave recommends, as well as the probiotic recommended by Skye. For the last two mornings, I've taken the betaine HCl with my coffee, as well as vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, foiling acid, B12, Vitamin C Iodine, Selenium, and Copper. Both times I did this, I got sick within 10 minutes. ....

Hi Kat, Just one more thing that I thought of today as I was making my BPC. How quickly do you drink it? I love it and it works really well for me, but if I drink a large cup in less than 45' (ish)  it feels like too much for my system. Especially now as you're getting used to it, I would go pretty slowly.

• Hi Kat, Just one more thing that I thought of today as I was making my BPC. How quickly do you drink it? I love it and it works really well for me, but if I drink a large cup in less than 45' (ish)  it feels like too much for my system. Especially now as you're getting used to it, I would go pretty slowly.

Thanks, that's good advice. I've been drinking it slowly- I'm on winter break from grad school right now so I've had plenty of time to sit back and drink my coffee in the mornings. When my schedule goes back to being hectic I will definitely keep this in mind :) 

This morning went much better than the last couple of mornings (I was able to keep everything down :) ). I took my thyroid meds, then the betaine HCl with my coffee. I decreased the amount of fat I used- I went down to 1 tbsp of butter and about 1 tsp of MCT oil. This seemed to help with the digestive issues. I waited until I was almost done with the coffee to make sure the betaine HCl and fat were going ok, then I took my vitamin D. So far so good!! Everyone's advice was very helpful! :) This forum is definitely a life saver! 

• Does Skye actually recommend a brand for the probiotic?  Dave says the wrong one can actually do more harm than good. . .  so if in doubt, don't! 

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly, but I do feel a lot better and my continual low-grade headaches are going away.  I had a horrible issue with a sinus infection this summer.  I was traveling in Costa Rica in the rain forest, and eating local foods.  But ended up in 7 weeks in "H-E-double toothpicks" when I got home that included 2 rounds of antibiotics.  I got better, then the low grade headaches came on with mild light-headedness.  It was then discovered that it wasn't just a sinus infection, but a fungal infection in my sinuses.  I'm on a homeopathic dealing with that now.  My regular dr totally missed it and send me in for all kinds of heart check ups.  Thankfully my hormone specialist caught it.   But I KNOW that those rounds of anitbiotics destroyed my gut even with my precautions and diet.   Oh, and BTW - my heart is perfect.  I went thru with all of the heart tests just to see - NO drugs. . . just tests.  Kinda cool, and I met some fun people.

Being post-menopausal, the last 3 years I've added some pounds that I'm not comfortable with.  I look fine, but feel yucky in my clothes.  I'm hoping that incorporating the rest of the BP diet helps with those pounds, too.  Trying to fine tune it for me.  I think I need help in getting my fat/protein/carb ration correct. Any suggestions on how to do that?  I haven't found it yet in the BP blogs or videos yet. 

THANK YOU ladies.  I love this thread!

• Does Skye actually recommend a brand for the probiotic?  Dave says the wrong one can actually do more harm than good. . .  so if in doubt, don't! 

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly, but I do feel a lot better and my continual low-grade headaches are going away.  I had a horrible issue with a sinus infection this summer.  I was traveling in Costa Rica in the rain forest, and eating local foods.  But ended up in 7 weeks in "H-E-double toothpicks" when I got home that included 2 rounds of antibiotics.  I got better, then the low grade headaches came on with mild light-headedness.  It was then discovered that it wasn't just a sinus infection, but a fungal infection in my sinuses.  I'm on a homeopathic dealing with that now.  My regular dr totally missed it and send me in for all kinds of heart check ups.  Thankfully my hormone specialist caught it.   But I KNOW that those rounds of anitbiotics destroyed my gut even with my precautions and diet.   Oh, and BTW - my heart is perfect.  I went thru with all of the heart tests just to see - NO drugs. . . just tests.  Kinda cool, and I met some fun people.

Being post-menopausal, the last 3 years I've added some pounds that I'm not comfortable with.  I look fine, but feel yucky in my clothes.  I'm hoping that incorporating the rest of the BP diet helps with those pounds, too.  Trying to fine tune it for me.  I think I need help in getting my fat/protein/carb ration correct. Any suggestions on how to do that?  I haven't found it yet in the BP blogs or videos yet. 

Skye does recommend taking Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life for a probiotic. I'm not completely sold on taking it, as Dave strongly cautioned against taking a probiotic. However, I was also on antibiotics for a few months over the summer, so I have started taking it every other day in hopes that it will start to repair the damage done by the antibiotics. I read either in Dave's book or somewhere on his blog (I can't remember now, sorry) that if you do take a probiotic, it shouldn't be taken every day. So my plan is to take the one recommended by Skye every other day for a while until I feel like my gut is getting better. I am most definitely not an expert, so I'm not trying to tell you to take it. That's just what I'm doing right now. Good luck! :) 

• If I can't do HIT, short intense work outs, due to physical limitations.... should I modify the eating or schedule at all?  I don't want to create a natural disaster for myself since I can't follow things to a "T".  I would appreciate some input before I launch this program. :) 

• Skye does recommend taking Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life for a probiotic. I'm not completely sold on taking it, as Dave strongly cautioned against taking a probiotic. However, I was also on antibiotics for a few months over the summer, so I have started taking it every other day in hopes that it will start to repair the damage done by the antibiotics. I read either in Dave's book or somewhere on his blog (I can't remember now, sorry) that if you do take a probiotic, it shouldn't be taken every day. So my plan is to take the one recommended by Skye every other day for a while until I feel like my gut is getting better. I am most definitely not an expert, so I'm not trying to tell you to take it. That's just what I'm doing right now. Good luck! :)

Thank you, Kat.  I do recall that she recommended that brand.  Sheesh. . . I'm on info overload, LOL!   I've been taking notes like crazy so I can keep track of things.  LOL!   I'll figure out what is working for me eventually. 

I like your idea of every other day.   Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING before the antibiotics (I was seeing a naturopath at the time) but kept getting sicker and sicker.  My husband is a nurse, so finally just drove me to Urgent Care and by that time, I was thrilled, too.  

• If I can't do HIT, short intense work outs, due to physical limitations.... should I modify the eating or schedule at all?  I don't want to create a natural disaster for myself since I can't follow things to a "T".  I would appreciate some input before I launch this program. :)

As Dave says, even if you cannot implement all of it, parts of it are better than none.  I don't know about the food intake part, but I do know that your body will tell you when to eat after a couple of days.   Being in ketosis is good for you, so just the fact that diet puts you into that state is a big plus.

Also, even the minimal amount of exercise you can do is good.  Toe raises while brushing your teeth, isometric exercises while sitting, parking in the back of the parking lot so you are walking more, whatever you can do within your ability. . . everything adds up.

I am NOT an expert, though.  Hopefully Skye will see this and jump in with a recommendation for you.   Please keep us updated about your progress.

Agree with Linda that something is better than nothing - and as you get into balance you can listen to your hunger for guidance. If you're not doing intense exercise, you probably should go lighter on the re-feed days (and you'll want to... it's actually not easy to eat large quantities of carbs unless you're famished!) and you'll probably need less food overall.

I love the HIIT, but from everything I've read, it's the slow movement during the day - lots of walking and less sitting! - that really is foundational to our health. I find that for myself a week with lots of that walking and outdoor activity (even if no workouts) feels better to me (and looks better on my body) than a week with two intense workouts but otherwise sitting on my butt :)

Take a look at the earlier posts on this thread; there was definitely someone who asked Skye a similar question and got a reply. Skye hasn't been on as much recently but I think that you'll get a lot from her earlier answers.

• Also for all you new gals: browse the whole forum!  You won't find all of it relevant but there's a lot of great information. Take a look at this recent post: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/14042-sticking-to-the-bulletproof-diet-pro-tips/

Brief, but covers a lot of things that people wonder about in the beginning!

I was just reading the Upgraded Chef book (one of the bonuses sent to you after you buy the BP diet book) and I saw this and remembered you had mentioned needing help with your macro ratios:

"High intake of healthy fats is optimal. General ranges are 50-80 percent fat, 5-30 percent carbohydrate, and 10-30 percent protein. "

If you're not sure that you're around those percentages, you can use a tracking app on your phone (I use myfitnesspal). I enter what I eat and then it shows the percentages of macronutrients. I find that this is helpful since I'm just getting started and am not used to eating fat. I know it's really recommended that you just listen to your body, but I think my body is so messed up from eating low-fat diets for the last few years that it's not really reliable. So you could try tracking it for a few days and then making adjustments according to what works best for you. Hope this helps!