No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Hello Skye, and fellow BP women!

I have just received your book, and have read through quite a bit of it.  Most of it is quite familiar from being here and following many of the resources you have integrated.  GREAT JOB, and I look forward to devouring each word carefully.

But for now, I have a quick question:

I didn't see you mention PROTEIN FASTING anywhere.  Forgive me if I've missed it, but I looked carefully at your sample program, and didn't see it.  What do you think about it?  Should women protein fast once in a while?  And if so, should it be on carb/work out days?  The day before?  The day after?  I'd love to know your thoughts on this, as this is one subject that is quite unclear in the BP lifestyle and among people here.

Thank you!!

• edited October 2014

Hi Skye, I am so excited to have found this page and your book, I have just finished reading the ebook and have ordered a paperback copy as I feel I need to do some "highlighting" and I can see me using it as my "nutritional" bible.  I am starting my 10 day protocol tomorrow, I am in love with BPC but I do find that when I add MCT oil I feel nauseous all morning, will I get used to this?  I am a long-distance runner and have done the Boston marathon on BPC alone, no carb loaded energy drinks.  I am looking to drop 30lbs in weight to be able to run better and to feel and look awesome.  I am 50 and 3/4 yrs old.  If I use the blood ketones to test for fat-burning mode, should I be doing this every day?  Thanks for the book, finally a woman out there who has walked the walk and can help other woman based on your own experience.  I was also excited when reading your book because I have never been a breakfast person never so I have always struggled with other diets that insisted that "breakfast is the main meal of the day".  I might start a min-blog on her to track my progress......thanks again. :cool:

Hi Soon-

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Things have been hectic! Thanks so much for your note. How is the protocol going for you so far? Would love to read about your progress. The nausea comes from a combo of your body detoxing and getting used to handling the increased healthy fats. Not to worry, you will adapt quickly and in the meantime take some Betaine HCL with your BPC and that will fix the nausea.

Blood ketones: if you can handle it, have at it. I actually use this awesome new thing called Ketonix Breath Ketone analyzer. I use the Ketonix Sport because it gives a clearer indication of how in ketosis you are. When you test, test consistently.

As you read in the book, constant steady state cardio activities are actually detrimental to the majority of women's metabolisms. The article below is by physicist Jason Kiefer (forewarning his delivery is not very PC). However, his research along with Doug MCcGuff's tends to point to chronic cardio being especially counterproductive for women. Personally, once I stopped the constant running to lose weight is when I FINALLY started losing FAT. I also realize marathon running may be your passion. If this is the case, I'd highly suggest that when you're not yet in your training phase (Boston is in March, correct? So you probably haven't begun training for it yet?). In your "off season" lift heavy, do short explosive workouts and ONLY interval sprint training for "running." Oddly enough, I don't sprint a distance longer than 400m in a given interval. I decided to test a mile time just for fun and I came in at 7:25. I could not believe it. I thought for sure I'd be around 9:00 or 10:00 as I wasn't even truly pushing myself. Doing these things on your off season will help you shed body fat, gain lean muscle and also recruit faster twitch muscles for your running times.

Thanks again for your note and please keep us posted!

From Jason Kiefer (again, his delivery is not the smoothest. Nor do I think the goal is a bikini body. My goal is wellbeing and that comes from shedding dangerous excess fat):

Science Wants You to Stop Running

Trashing steady-state cardio isn’t exactly a novel idea, and the better physique gurus figured at least a portion of this out years ago, when they started applying the no-steady-state-cardio rule to contest preparation. They failed, however, to point out the most detrimental effect of this type of training—one that applies specifically to women:

Studies—both clinical and observational—make a compelling case that too much cardio can impair the production of the thyroid hormone T3, its effectiveness and metabolism[1-11], particularly when accompanied by caloric restriction, an all too common practice. This is why many first or second-time figure and bikini competitors explode in weight when they return to their normal diets, and it’s why {women} can run for hours every week with negative results.

T3 is the body’s preeminent regulator of metabolism, by the way it throttles the efficiency of cells[12-19]. It also acts in various ways to increase heat production[20-21]. As I pointed out in previous articles, this is one reason why using static equations to perform calories-in, calories-out weight loss calculations doesn’t work.

When T3 levels are normal, the body burns enough energy to stay warm, and muscles function at moderate efficiency. When there’s too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism), the body goes into a state where weight gain is almost impossible. Too little T3 (hypothyroidism), and the body accumulates body fat with ease, almost regardless of physical activity level. Women inadvertently put themselves into a hypothyroid condition when they perform so much steady-state cardio.

In the quest to lose body fat, T3 levels can offer both success and miserable failure because of the way it influences other fat-regulating hormones[22-31]. Women additionally get all the other negative effects of this, which I’ll cover below. Don’t be surprised here. This is a simple, sensible adaptation of a body that’s equipped to bear the full brunt of reproduction.

We Were Not Designed For This

Think about it this way: Your body is a responsive, adaptive machine that has evolved for survival. If you’re running on a regular basis, your body senses this excessive energy expenditure, and adjusts to compensate. Remember, no matter which way we hope the body works, its endgame is always survival. If you waste energy running, your body will react by slowing your metabolism to conserve energy. Decreasing energy output is biologically savvy for your body. Your body wants to survive longer while you do what it views as a stressful, useless activity. Decreasing T3 production increases efficiency and adjusts your metabolism to preserve energy immediately.

Nothing exemplifies this increasing efficiency better than the way the body starts burning fuel. Training consistently at 65 percent or more of your max heart rate adapts your body to save as much body fat as possible. After regular training, fat cells stop releasing fat the way they once did during moderate-intensity activities[32-33]. Energy from body fat stores also decreases by 30 percent[34-35]. To this end, your body sets into motion a series of reactions that make it difficult for muscle to burn fat at all[36-41]. Instead of burning body fat, your body takes extraordinary measures to retain it.

Still believe cardio is the fast track to fat loss?

That’s not all. You can still lose muscle mass. Too much steady-state cardio actually triggers the loss of muscle[42-45]. This seems to be a twofold mechanism, with heightened and sustained cortisol levels triggering muscle loss[46-56], which upregulates myostatin, a potent destroyer of muscle tissue[57]. Say goodbye to bone density, too, because it declines with that decreasing muscle mass and strength[58-64].

And long term health? Out the window, as well. Your percentage of muscle mass is an independent indicator of health[65]. You’ll lose muscle, lose bone, and lose health. Awesome, right?

When sewn together, these phenomena coordinate a symphony of fat gain for most female competitors after figure contests. After a month—or three—of 20-plus hours of cardio per week, fat burning hits astonishing lows, and fat cells await an onslaught of calories to store[66-72]. The worst thing imaginable in this state would be to eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. The combination of elevated insulin and cortisol would make you fat, and it would also create new fat cells so you could become even fatter[73-80].

Seriously, Cut the Shit

I won’t name names, but I’ve seen amazing displays of gluttony from some small, trim women. Entire pizzas disappear, leaving only the flotsam of toppings that fell during the feeding frenzy. Appetizers, meals, cocktails and desserts—4000 calories worth—vanish at the Cheesecake Factory. There are no leftovers, and there are no crumbs. Some women catch this in time and stop the devastation, but others quickly swell, realizing that this supposed off-season look has become their every-season look.

And guess what they do to fix it? Double sessions of cardio.

This “cardio craze” is a form of insanity, and it’s on my hit list. I’m determined to kill it. There are better ways to lose fat, and there are better ways to look good. Your bikini body is not at the end of a marathon, and you won’t find it on a treadmill. In fact, it’s quite the opposite if you’re using steady-state cardio to get there. The show may be over, and the finish line crossed, but the damage to your metabolism has just begun.

Don’t want to stop running? Fine. Then stop complaining about how the fat won’t come off your hips, thighs, and ass. You’re keeping it there.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• @Skye - thank you.

I'm on day 13, and while the keto flu of days 1-8 subsided, since the first carb re-feed (which like for others - my stomach hurt after just a few baked sweet potato slices) - I feel tired again.

I'll try the pink salt in water in morning trick, and add that egg yolk to the coffee (my son loves the whites!)- thanks.

- anyone else have kids/spouse? How do you manage eating v differently from them? My family is very supportive and will eat what I do- plus carbs - but it IS odd not eating with them...

- how many carbs/day is the guideline for carb re-feed days? I recall max 30g on most days but...?

- Other recipes / ideas: #NFFBFW had some but not all options available out there; what are other good cookbooks / idea books /etc?

- exercise: I miss my early morning BarMethod classes (but am still sore from Tabata -ha!): when and how can I add this back in?

I'm a D1 lacrosse umpire - so sprint HARD for games ~ 1x/week in fall & 2-4x/week in spring. Have done 1 game since starting #NFFBFW and ate a big lamb burger afterwards. Games are 2 hours total but ~ 20 min of all-out sprints - how do I work this in with the recommended exercise? Same as any other?

Thanks in advance - Kate

How are you doing so far, Kate?

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hello Skye, and fellow BP women!

I have just received your book, and have read through quite a bit of it.  Most of it is quite familiar from being here and following many of the resources you have integrated.  GREAT JOB, and I look forward to devouring each word carefully.

But for now, I have a quick question:

I didn't see you mention PROTEIN FASTING anywhere.  Forgive me if I've missed it, but I looked carefully at your sample program, and didn't see it.  What do you think about it?  Should women protein fast once in a while?  And if so, should it be on carb/work out days?  The day before?  The day after?  I'd love to know your thoughts on this, as this is one subject that is quite unclear in the BP lifestyle and among people here.

Thank you!!

Hi MrsFloyd:

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Been on a crazy writing deadline. Thanks again for supporting the book. Like you saw in the book, I'm all about MED theory (minimum effective dose). I really want to drive home that it's not a weight loss diet but a fat loss plan that's not based on deprivation. I used to protein fast on Sundays but honestly, it's football season now so there's no way I'm not eating chicken wings ;). Also, since I got myself to the body fat I wanted, I'm now focused on gaining more lean muscle. My diet and workouts are a little different now than what I did in the book to get to this place. As it should be. If we do the same things over and over for too long, our metabolisms will start getting one step ahead of us again.

There are some days.... especially when I am super-focused working that I basically kinda slip into the rapid fat loss protocol where I only eat/drink fat because I'm not really that hungry. I think it's a personal decision but it can't hurt to give your system a break from the protein. Hope that helps. Also, if you feel good about the book, I'd really love your honest review on Amazon. This has been a labor of love for me (aka not a profit making venture... the exact opposite) so reviews really help get the word out to other women. Thanks again, MrsFloyd! Keep us posted

• @Skye - trying not to complain but I'm not experiencing the amazing results of others- what am I doing wrong? Suspect I'm simply overeating and not exercising enough - but I'm following the protocol very closely (literally - a slip up of 1 *sip* of alcohol & 1/2- cookie on a carb-refeed day; 1 spoonful today of shredded potato; otherwise everything is on the list, on the dates, on protocol. So...

1. I'm cramping at night past 3 nights though I'm taking potassium, magnesium, pink salt, all the recommended supplements @ the recommended times. No sugar, no cheating...

2. Stats: not compelling:

- 9/19/14 start: 36.2% fat, 23.3 BMI, 156 lbs.

- 10/7/14 today: 35% fat 22.8 BMI, 152 lbs.

- less exercise; I am starting to notice saggy arms where I was doing BarMethod consistently before this.

I know I lost water-weight & most of the decline was the 1st week; why not more lately?

3. Energy level: ok at best; I'm thru the keto-flu but am not as energetic as I'd like. I am sleeping enough (more than before) and ...

Where's that magic boost I keep hearing about?

Basically I like the concept but am not seeing the results. Tweaking suggestions welcome, please!!

(& I travel for a week soon so think I can do ok there)...
  • edited October 2014

@Skye - trying not to complain but I'm not experiencing the amazing results of others- what am I doing wrong? Suspect I'm simply overeating and not exercising enough - but I'm following the protocol very closely (literally - a slip up of 1 *sip* of alcohol & 1/2- cookie on a carb-refeed day; 1 spoonful today of shredded potato; otherwise everything is on the list, on the dates, on protocol. So...

1. I'm cramping at night past 3 nights though I'm taking potassium, magnesium, pink salt, all the recommended supplements @ the recommended times. No sugar, no cheating...

2. Stats: not compelling:

- 9/19/14 start: 36.2% fat, 23.3 BMI, 156 lbs.

- 10/7/14 today: 35% fat 22.8 BMI, 152 lbs.

- less exercise; I am starting to notice saggy arms where I was doing BarMethod consistently before this.

I know I lost water-weight & most of the decline was the 1st week; why not more lately?

3. Energy level: ok at best; I'm thru the keto-flu but am not as energetic as I'd like. I am sleeping enough (more than before) and ...

Where's that magic boost I keep hearing about?

Basically I like the concept but am not seeing the results. Tweaking suggestions welcome, please!!

(& I travel for a week soon so think I can do ok there)...

Hi Kate-

Actually, a loss of 1.2% body fat is pretty great. Things like BMI and scale weight are pretty arbitrary. The mirror and the body fat measure are the go-to guides for me. Obviously, if you have a significant amount of body fat to lose, that's going to reflect in scale weight intitally.  IMHO, BMI is an antiquated formula that does not take critical factors (bone density, lean muscle, where you carry fat on your body) into account.

I don't know if you saw the previous response I wrote to you here. You had mentioned before your issue with BP coffee. Were you able to use those suggestions to either do the butter tea or tweak the coffee? I ask because it is a common and false misconception in our society that eating too much and not exercising enough is what's making us fat. It's the complete opposite. If you're eating clean, too much doesn't matter. You naturally won't overeat because your body will eventually become less metabolically deranged and heal itself into using energy (aka food) wisely. Second, overexercising screws up everything we've done to prime our hormones into triggering fat burning.

My concern isn't that you're eating too much, but what are you eating? I'm suspecting you're not getting enough healthy fat in your diet and that needs to be the cornerstone of everything you eat. Half a cookie on carb re-feed night is not something to fret over as long as you did it in the evening. Keep in mind the combo of the (most likely) toxic vegetable oil with refined carbohydrates, additives and sugar is going to stall or delay the work of your insulin, leptin, cortisol and ghrelin. It's literally like they're on their way to do one job in your body and then this mix of "food" comes in and re-routes their work priorities. That's a very simple way of putting it but you get the picture. As far as alcohol, it's going to undo just about anything positive you did for yourself, especially super sugary spirits like Brandy. Look at page 69 of what to do when you do drink for a little bit of damage control. I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I don't want to BS you either. Every single thing we put into our bodies or on our skin is a work order to tell our bodies to do one thing or another. Hold on to fat? Burn fat?

Was the shredded potato you ate sweet? Remember, white potatoes are not considered safe starches. When you do add sugar into your body, make sure it's on a carb re-feed day and later in the day. Adding carbs into your body on a non re-feed day early in the day when your insulin and cortisol are still high will completely shut your fat burning down.

I know I say it over and over in the book but this is something women really need to understand because we are more estrogen dominant. Alcohol increases estrogen levels. As women, this has a direct impact on the fat we carry and what happens with our fat cells: Drinking alcohol almost completely shuts down your body's fat burning ability (among a host of other problems on our already over taxed livers). The more estrogen dominant we are and our carb consumption habits before the protocol mean the little cheats in the beginning might have more negative impacts on your individual success.

As far as exercise goes, look at my original response to you about barre. More exercise does not equal more fat loss. The dose makes the poison. Does exercise (real, asskicking, cry like a baby, finish in the fetal position exercise) aid fat burning? Yes, that's true. So heaping a ton of it on to yourself will make it truer? No.  In fact, you could do this protocol and skip the exercise all together and see results. The how and what of our eating is the hormone hack that will trigger our fat loss. Remember, these workouts are exercise, not movement. By exercise I mean you should have absolutely nothing left in the tank, be crying for your mother and drowning in a pool of sweat. That's why they are short. No one could sustain these workouts like they could a 45 min or hour aerobics or spin or yoga class. On the sprint workouts, you should barely be recovered by the time your rest period ends and you should be burning rubber like the devil is on your tail during the sprint. On the Cindy workout, you should be doing the pushups and pullups unassisted until you can't and then go to assistance bands or your knees. If air squats are too easy, goblet squat with a dumbbell. There's no stopping for that 20 minutes. It's you vs you pumping out as many reps as you can like your life depends on it. Because it does. Same for the Kettlebell swings. If they're too easy, get a heavier bell. Get more reps in on the minute. On non-exercise days you're intermittent fasting with butter coffee and then eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb so your body has become a thermogenic furnace, producing ketones and shutting down fat cells. Then, when you kick the dogsh*t out of your own ass with these exercise protocols twice a week and refeed with safe starches those evenings, you're going to trigger an avalanche of fat burning. In the beginning this will be a lot. Then a small stall and then, as long as you don't put the wrong carbs into your body at the wrong times, you'll notice losses in chunks. Five pounds here. Three pounds there.

Don't think of cheats so much as "cheats." I think of them as mixed messages I send to my body about what I want it to do. When in doubt, our hormones will go from burning fat to helping store it. Do your barre class. But on exercise days, leave nothing in the tank. Make sure the foundation of your food is healthy fat and that you're not spiking insulin (halting fat burning) early in the day with protein and carbs. If you can't do butter coffee, try butter tea. If you can't do either, stick to the foods on the list. The fat loss won't happen as quickly, but it will happen.

We didn't gain all our excess body fat in three weeks and we're not going to lose it all in three weeks. And ultimately, if it doesn't work for your unique biological fingerprint, it just doesn't. You will be able to figure out what works for you.

On the myth of more exercise means more fat loss, read a post here. I do hope some of those minor tweaks work for you. I suspect there might not be enough fat consumption and/or not enough ketone production from not doing butter coffee? Let me know. You got this.

• Really inspired by these posts and went to buy the kindle version of the book but it wont accept it because its says its not available to my country, amazon.com.au :(  Skye is there any chance you are able to allow a kindle version to be bought here in Oz? 

Thanks 

• Really inspired by these posts and went to buy the kindle version of the book but it wont accept it because its says its not available to my country, amazon.com.au :(  Skye is there any chance you are able to allow a kindle version to be bought here in Oz? 

Thanks 

Hey Cocoa-

That's strange. I have it set for worldwide distro, including Australia. Hmmm. Does this link work for you? http://www.amazon.com.au/Fail-Fat-Burning-Women-physique-ebook/dp/B00MNRJVWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412901414&sr=8-1&keywords=no+fail+fat+burning+for+women

Thanks 

Try this link, too. This is the Australian link for the eBook. http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00MNRJVWG?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

• Got it thanks, looking forward to a read!  I have been listening to Dave Asprey's podcasts for while but just started BP coffee yesterday (using coconut oil until I get my hands on MCT oil) and loving it so far. 

Thanks again :) 

• Got it thanks, looking forward to a read!  I have been listening to Dave Asprey's podcasts for while but just started BP coffee yesterday (using coconut oil until I get my hands on MCT oil) and loving it so far. 

Thanks again :)

Awesome! Coconut oil is great alternative. Keep us posted on your progress. Remember to get plenty of fat in the beginning of the day. When you break the fast keep it high fat, moderate protein and low carb (only from veggies). On carb refeed days, have your safe starches later in the day and with minimal fat. You can do it!

• It's so reassuring to see that others are using Skye's methods to adjust the BP lifestyle for women. Thanks to everyone who keeps posting here and elsewhere on the forum.

I'm basically following the plan Skye laid out in her book on an on-going basis now. I find it easy to follow but more importantly, it's really changing how I look and feel. The craziest thing happened this morning: I was at the grocery store and a woman came up to me and asked me what I did for exercise because I was "fit and glowing." I seriously attribute that compliment to Skye and the BP diet.

My sleep has DRASTICALLY improved, my skin has never looked better, my nails and hair are stronger, and (with the additional help of using the Headspace meditation app) my moods have stabilized.

Looking back, the first two weeks were the hardest. I had headaches and my skin felt prickly at times. But I'm so glad I stuck with it.

I got my blood tested through Wellness FX and will post the results here later when I have time (have to run out and pick up my kids now) but I just want to say a huge thank you to Skye for writing this and showing me how I can gain control over my body and mind.

• Skye-

Just finished reading your book and made lots of notes.  Excited to start the program.  I have about 10 lbs to loose.

A few questions if you don't mind...

1) In the morning Bulletproof coffee fast, is it acceptable to add coconut cream to my bulletproof coffee, or does that not allow you to get into ketosis?  What about using Collagen in the morning  BPC?  Does that not allow ketosis...or is it just better for you body to take it at night for repair purposes?

2) you mention only good sweetner as stevia and that xylitol and erithritol are not good.  Of course, I have been using Swerve sweetner for a while now, never hearing the sugar alcohols were not ok.  I have a hard time with just stevia as a sweetner (aftertaste issue for me).   Can I continue to use Swerve in my BPC or is it out?

3).  You mention you eat chicken wings.  I have a Philips air fryer and love making chicken wings in it.  There is no mention of being to use a hot sauce (like Franks buffalo wings sauce) on the plan.  Is that acceptable?  I would love to be able to continue to enjoy buffalo wings!

4).  Can I use your protein shake recipe as one of my meals (probably meal I break the morning fast with at 1pm)?

Thanks so much in advance.  Can't wait to hear your answers so that I don't start out doing something wrong!

• Ellie Hales - 

Hello! I fell in LOVE with BP coffee but ultimately I realized it was probably doing me more harm than good, so I have switched to green tea, alternating with various kinds of tea. Its not the same kind of mood boost, but it definitely keeps my hunger and cravings in check. I'm so glad you are feeling better with this protocol, thats awesome! I was wondering what kinds of foods you were using for your refeeds, in what quantity, at what time of day, and how often. 

Skye - 

sorry for the delay! I have also had a crazy period, I hope you were able to meet your writing deadline!! :)

I totally get that ultimately its all about listening to the body when it comes to carb refeeds, but my body is so out of whack after antibiotics and accutane (side note: to anyone out there thinking of accutane... DONT DO IT!!!) that I have a hard time hearing what my body is saying. If i were to listen to my body i probably wouldnt eat carbs at all, because i almost always end up feeling whacky and hungrier than i was before i ate them. the obvious hypotheses here would be candida and parasites - i get those results this week. Is the carb refeed more about making your insulin reach a certain level OR more about getting a certain amount of carb? Would you be comfortable giving a ROUGH outline of the timing and ratio of carbs on a refeed day?

i know i am also having blood sugar issues - does anyone else struggle with this? will hypoglycemia level out after a few months on your protocol, skye? any supplements you would recommend? i have just started taking inositol by True Hope (i am a HUGE fan of this brand - a rep calls every first time user to walk you through how to use things) which seems to level me out a little bit. 

I was also wondering if there were any chocoholics out there. dark chocolate (the 90% lindt) seems to be the only thing that solves my food cravings when they strike. I like the stuff, but i dont eat it because i love it - i eat it because it seriously has a drug like effect on my cravings, much like BPC (which i am currently avoiding for my adrenal health - do i HAVE TO avoid coffee for them to heal??) also, i was wondering if there is any way to fit a full bar into the protocol or if that is always going to be way over the top (in terms of serving size) no matter when you choose to consume it. There are SO many psychoactive compounds in chocolate that its hard to figure out what my body is craving. i am confident that i get enough iron, and i dont think my body is craving the endorphins either because i still crave it after i work out. has anyone found a cure for this? (and this isnt just a "time of the month" craving for me, its on the daily.) any supplements?

It didnt work for me personally - but for anyone else with this issue, DLPA or DPA (harder to find but less stimulating) is supposed to help - I got this from Julia Ross' "The Diet Cure" - she uses amino acids to treat food cravers, addicts, and eating disorders, with a pretty great success rate!

skye - i was wondering if 15 - 30 g collagen protein in the morning is ok or will totally knock us out of ketosis.

also, skye, i just bought some pu-erh tea, and will give it a shot tomorrow morning! i'll let you know how it tastes... but it smells delicious!

keep up the hard work ladies! and if you havent read skye's book yet - DO! :) such a great resource!

• I was wondering about the dark chocolate also. I usually eat green and blacks 70% but because it has sugar in it I thought maybe after the 21 days we can reintroduce sweets a little bit? 

My most significant challenge is sweets and wine over the 21 days but its making me think differently about how I spend my weekends, often I am dying for friday night wine and maltesers! Now Im thinking what would get me out of the house to avoid that weekend crash into comfort eating. 

Got my supplements coming tomorrow so Im almost ready to start.  I have just gotten over varicose vein surgery on my legs so Im not really ready to exercise just yet. I know its not in line with the protocol Skye has outlined to not exercise but Im just so eager to get started! Next week may be better for the HIT exercise so I will consider it more this evening about fully starting the carb depletion tomorrow.

Also Im resisting the urge to tell my husband my plans, I get so excited about new ways of eating. Im hoping he sees the positive results and then asks what Im doing, he's a 'see it and I'll believe it' kind of man :) 

• Quickly dropping in after a long day. Much to say but excited to respond to everyone and hear what Skye has to say about chocolate. Thought I was the only one struggling with missing it. And like you, Cocoacat, thinking more critically about my intake of alcohol (why/when/where/how) has been a powerful outcome of following Skye's plan.

More tomorrow! ONWARD EVERYONE!

• So I'm on a week long business trip (I'm in sales) and am finding this extremely hard when I travel. Aside from the alcohol (agree w others that I'm at least more cognizant of, thanks Skye!) - what the he.. do you choose in a restaurant?

In Philly right now & Last night for example I had a (beef, not organic/grassfed) burger w/out the bun, with a salad ...that showed up with a 'creamy balsamic' smothered ...and given the client I felt I couldn't ask for a change (I did precocioask for dressing on the side!) I have the Epic bars and even the grassfed butter (yes!) with me.

Foods:

- are regular salads (including tomato, carrots but not dressing) ok? Hard to imagine not eating another tomato from my garden.

My carb refeeds have previously included only foods on the ok list - sweet potatoes

- while traveling are sweet potato fries ok?

- is eggplant ok?

- what do you choose off a standard 'fancy restaurant' menu?

- How do you avoid the sneaky carbs / bad canola oils / etc?

I've definitely noticed my skin clearing overall but fat loss isn't continuing while I'm traveling.

Help wanted :-)
  • Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

So I'm on a week long business trip (I'm in sales) and am finding this extremely hard when I travel. Aside from the alcohol (agree w others that I'm at least more cognizant of, thanks Skye!) - what the he.. do you choose in a restaurant?

In Philly right now & Last night for example I had a (beef, not organic/grassfed) burger w/out the bun, with a salad ...that showed up with a 'creamy balsamic' smothered ...and given the client I felt I couldn't ask for a change (I did precocioask for dressing on the side!) I have the Epic bars and even the grassfed butter (yes!) with me.

Foods:

- are regular salads (including tomato, carrots but not dressing) ok? Hard to imagine not eating another tomato from my garden.

My carb refeeds have previously included only foods on the ok list - sweet potatoes

- while traveling are sweet potato fries ok?

- is eggplant ok?

- what do you choose off a standard 'fancy restaurant' menu?

- How do you avoid the sneaky carbs / bad canola oils / etc?

I've definitely noticed my skin clearing overall but fat loss isn't continuing while I'm traveling.

Help wanted :smile:

krsherwood.  I travel alot too and I know that the quality of food is generally going to be bad.  So I tend to order lean instead of fatty protein with veggies and ask them to hold the dressing and sauces and ask for a pat of butter.    My go to meal is fish with veg rather than salad, even though it is probably going to be farmed.  I have also taken packs of wild alaskan salmon with me as well as boiled eggs and put them in the minibar to stay fresh.  

• krsherwood - 

i struggle with sticking to the eating plan while eating out a lot too - but if you can't cook (while on a business trip, for example) or just dont have time, you can use dave's collagen protein as a clean protein source. I can't handle any protein powder - grass fed, vegan, hemp - except the collagen. I usually mix it with flax milk (By goodkarma - NO CARAGEENAN!! :) ) or tea, and MCT oil, and get some veggies in if i can. The idea when eating out, as i understand it, is to avoid fat from unhealthy animals at all costs. Dave also talks about fat loss coming and going in waves, many bodies wont keep burning it off at a steady rate.  There are SO many variables to fat loss - sleep is a huge one, and traveling can destroy sleep quality, stalling weight loss and overall well being. Also, are you using a scale as your sole feedback mechanism? You might be losing circumference without weight due to the addition of lean body mass. If your skin is looking clearer, you are detoxing, so keep with it! Most of us are pretty toxic and our fat burning mechanisms need a good cleaning :)

• As I mentioned earlier, I recently had my blood work done by WellnessFX. It's nice to have a baseline to gauge how this new lifestyle is affecting me. The last blood test I had was a little over two years ago. I pulled out those results as well for comparison.

All of my numbers were in the healthy range (phew) except for in relation to my "blood health." I had low numbers for:

platelet count

white blood cell count

neutrophil count

and % Eosinophils

In each case, my counts are low but now super low.  I've had numbers like this in the past and my doctor was never concerned, especially since I don't show signs of infection or the diseases that can be attributed to low wbc's.

Curious if anyone on the forum has thoughts about that? Or hacks for me to improve the counts?

• Hello all :) Back home, finally made it to the grocery store and got myself unpacked etcetera. Yesterday was my official start for my 10 day carb depletion...I'm actually a little nervous about it! Mostly worried that I'll inadvertently slip up and have more than 30 g of carbs. I had some beets yesterday with dinner (organic & fresh, with a little bit of butter salt and pepper) and after I ate them it occurred to me that I'm not sure how many grams of carbs are in beets!!! Yikes! Other than that I think I did alright. I didn't realize how much I would miss my something sweet after dinner...of course having cookies AND a little ice cream the day before I started the carb depletion might not have been the best idea:) Any suggestions re. what to do to quiet that sweet tooth without screwing up my 10 day carb depletion? I have to say that other than the anxiety I felt great, I'm excited to finally be underway with this! I think I've now read your book 3 times Skye, starting on the 4th read through and still picking up good info - I'll have it memorized soon ;) One other note - I decided to switch to ghee in my BP coffee instead of butter because I noticed some of my skin allergies/excema stuff returning over the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure it was the butter since dairy typically causes a stomach problem for me and I haven't noticed that with the grass fed butter, but figured I might as well rule it out now. The things that cause my skin to go bonkers are still unclear...who knows, furnace being on when it's cold? More dust d/t furnace? Drier air? Phase of the moon???

• Hi Friends!

Like all of you, life gets quite hectic but these conversations are great and so helpful. I plan on carving out a chunk of hours so I can address each of your very valid questions and concerns specifically and thoughtfully. That being said, I just want to jump on here very quickly to address some things.

Sugar alcohols as sweeteners (xylitol and to a lesser extent erhythritol): I leave them out because Xylitol is prebiotic that can lead to leaky gut. Since most of us are on here because we have excess body fat to shed, it's more than likely our gut biome isn't the utopia we'd like it to be. Can also lead to SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). Moreover, unless you know exactly where it's being sourced there's a good chance it's from non-GMO corn or Dupont chemical-processed hardwood. Give Sweetleaf Stevia a shot, I find the aftertaste not so bad.

Sansoucish. Congrats on beginning your journey! We're all cheering for you. I will write you more tomorrow but please refer to page 23 in the book. Carrots and beets aren't listed because of their high sugar content. Heck, if you look at some things labeled "naturally sweetened" you'll see they use beet juice pwder. Not a bad thing but for now we're trying to get our bodies fat adapted and kicking the sugar/carb addiction. It might be very helpful to add in 20g of L-Glutamine a day to help with carb/sugar/alcohol cravings. It's also great for healing infections and improving gut health. Maybe consider starting the depletion this weekend (if the pace of daily life tends to slow down for you on the weekends). Ease into it.

Traveling. It's really a bitch when trying to make healthy choices when on the road and out to eat it. Avoiding factory-farmed meat and vegetable oils is like navigating a minefield. Always take some activated charcoal before eating out so it can adsorb a bit of the toxicity you'll be ingesting. Like our other teammate on here mentioned to Kate, salads with dressing on the side are your best bets. Sweet potato fries aren't the best option even if it's your carb refeed day because you know the oil they're using to fry them in is disgusting. Do the best you can and hack your way through it. Literally. If you can, see if they will saute your fish or meat in butter only. I always have a bunch of hard boiled eggs and epic bars with me on the road. Kate, way to rock the butter with you!

Whiteelephant: be careful with the flaxmilk as that's a pretty high Omega 6 count.

Bodyfat: Everybody, please get an accurate bodyfat measurement (and not just scale number) when starting. Your body fat percentage is going to be your north star when determining if this is working for you. Scale weight will drop in the beginning but after that it's going to be in increments and the mirror, your clothes and your bodyfat are going to be your guides. TMI alert: I have PMS this week and did a carb refeed last night after a super heavy lifting session. For shits and giggles I weighed myself this morning although I felt that I looked more leaned out when I woke up. I gained 6lbs of water weight from the reffed and PMS but my bodyfat is exactly the same. No biggie. That 6lbs of water will be gone tomorrow or the next day. However, if seeing a number jump 6lbs sends you into a tailspin -- especially when you're not going by bodyfat percentage -- then for the love of all that is holy, stay off the scale. Especially after a carb refeed.

Ok, more tomorrow. You ladies rock.

• Can I just say…  THANK YOU SKYE for your incredible generosity, and thank you everyone for this thread!  What a fantastic resource!

I have a question:  For some time now, I have been meaning to measure my body fat %.  But the 'home methods' seem really complicated.  Can a doctor's office do it?  Or a gym?  Can you pay someone to check with those pincher things?

Re: the road.  I travel a LOT.  I practically live on the road.  Sardines in BPA free cans are a staple, as are coconut chips and macadamia nuts, raw.  I also carry protein powders with me, (Upgraded whey+collagen, mixed with a bit of cacao, vanilla, and bee pollen) and a shaker.  If there is no better option for dinner, I shake one out.  Another thing that helps is going to a whole foods (or whatever is available) and picking up some avocados and some organic, raw kim chi or sourkraut.  If you have no convenient way to cook veggies, this is a great alternative and also very good for the gut.  MCT oil always travels with me too, as well as butter or ghee.  Hard boiled eggs are great too.

Cheers and thanks again for this thread!

• Can I just say…  THANK YOU SKYE for your incredible generosity, and thank you everyone for this thread!  What a fantastic resource!

I have a question:  For some time now, I have been meaning to measure my body fat %.  But the 'home methods' seem really complicated.  Can a doctor's office do it?  Or a gym?  Can you pay someone to check with those pincher things?

Re: the road.  I travel a LOT.  I practically live on the road.  Sardines in BPA free cans are a staple, as are coconut chips and macadamia nuts, raw.  I also carry protein powders with me, (Upgraded whey+collagen, mixed with a bit of cacao, vanilla, and bee pollen) and a shaker.  If there is no better option for dinner, I shake one out.  Another thing that helps is going to a whole foods (or whatever is available) and picking up some avocados and some organic, raw kim chi or sourkraut.  If you have no convenient way to cook veggies, this is a great alternative and also very good for the gut.  MCT oil always travels with me too, as well as butter or ghee.  Hard boiled eggs are great too.

Cheers and thanks again for this thread!

Hey mrsfloyd.  My gym has a scale that measures bodyfat as does my medical centre.  I have a Withings scale at home which also measures fat.  Between the three devices there is a 3% range, so I'm working off the higher number (the one at home) as the starting point.  If you have the cash you can also go and get a DEXA scan if you want details, ie where the fat is sitting.  Not sure where you live but you will probably find somewhere close by to you if you look on google.

• i second that, Mrsfloyd - thank you skye! 

I tried the pu-ehr tea... it made me feel a little peppier than usual. I used it in addition to the BP tea I am already doing in the morning, one hour post consumption. (This is how it is marketed for use.) So perhaps the boost was purely the extra bit of caffeine, but not worth it for me personally. 1) its pricey 2) it made me feel a little wonky, more spacey than usual. so, for anyone with a history of gut issues who doesnt do well on fermented foods, I would NOT recommend this tea. (this is confirmed elsewhere in other threads in the forum.) 

• Ellie Hales - 

I'm not sure where you're located, but IF you have access to a GOOD acupuncturist, naturopath, or functional medicine practitioner - i wouldn't go see someone without a personal recommendation - now is the time! You don't wan't to wait for something to develop, if theres an imbalance it should be addressed. Perhaps the advice in this post seems obvious, but having spent the past several years trying to recover from Lyme and a host of other imbalances I hide to chime in, on the off chance that this obvious advice could save your health a serious stumble.

I recently visited an esteemed doctor at Columbia University, who, in an effort to persuade me towards pain medication, told me that "only two types of doctors CURE things: 1) infectious disease and 2) surgeons. The rest of us," they told me, "are just managing symptoms."  My jaw literally dropped when i heard this because its so frightening and so true - I always suspected this of many doctors, but hearing them say it was a turning point in my personal journey towards health. Most MD's wont know what to do with you in the absence of symptoms of a specific disease. this is NOT to say that western medicine is bad and there are FABULOUS western docs out there! I'll get off the soap box now... this turned out much longer than my original intent! Best of luck!

• Day #4 for me today.  I feel ok.  I find I am very hungry leading up to 1pm...and I am drinking about 16-21 ounces of BPC (with at least a total of 4 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP Brain Octane).   Hoping my body adjusts to not being so hungry.

I have no choice but to work out in the morning, so today was a workout day for me and I put a TBSP of Upgraded Collagen protein in my BPC.  Is that what I am supposed to do if I am working out in the AM?

• Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

• Day #4 for me today.  I feel ok.  I find I am very hungry leading up to 1pm...and I am drinking about 16-21 ounces of BPC (with at least a total of 4 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP Brain Octane).   Hoping my body adjusts to not being so hungry.

I have no choice but to work out in the morning, so today was a workout day for me and I put a TBSP of Upgraded Collagen protein in my BPC.  Is that what I am supposed to do if I am working out in the AM?

Hi Marie.  Wondered if you are taking the salt - it helps to take the edge off.  I have also been hungry before 1pm even though I'm eating plenty of fats too.  So what I did yesterday was to increase my fat intake to 90% of calories just for one day only.  I didn't need to eat at all after lunch yesterday and all the way through to this lunchtime.   I have not worked out this morning though, but I have been up and working since 5.30am.

• Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

sanssoucish.  I dropped tomatoes yesterday after noticing the same thing whilst at the same time, increasing my fat intake for the day.  I don't know if I'm sensitive to nightshade plants but I'm committed to just giving it 100%.   Hunger was less and more ketones (I'm using the urine strips at the moment).  I have ordered the Ketonix and it has just been shipped, so hope to get a more accurate read.  Hope helpful.