edited February 2015
    wow, i would call 4kg quite a swelling.

that's nearly 9 pounds.

how long did it take to 'jump' 4kg

& then how long did it take to drop it

fake it till you make it

• LindaLinda
    edited February 2015

Hawaii! Yay for you! I am happy to hear you are feeling better today and full of energy! 

Yes, I will do my best to read my body but I do have to say I am a big "rule" person...Do you happen to know if you can do "too much fat"? Yesterday and today I had 3 BP coffee's...and I feel like that is too much... :( Also, do you know if Ginger Kambucha is "allowed" to drink? Water and coffee is getting boring to me and it is only day 2...yikes! 

You may want to do a search in the main forums for Kambucha.  I do recall Dave talking about it and saying that he didn't recommend it because it is fermented.  He is very leery of fermented foods unless you know how it is done.  I'm sure there's a discussion about the pros/cons somewhere. 

I have several BPC a day depending on my day.  Today I had 2 during the a.m. and one after dinner, but I ate lunch today.  I will actually eat only 1 meal a day a few days a week so will have a BPC in place of lunch.  LOVE THAT STUFF, but I'm a huge coffee drinker even before I heard of Bulletproof.  I do add collagen protein to it after noon, though.  Yep, love that stuff, too.  I know  many folks love tea, and you can look in the recipe forum where others post some fun drink ideas.  Personally, I like sparkling mineral water.

As far as too much fat, your body will tell you.   I was actually surprised at how much fat I was comfortable with, so just keep tweaking.  If you felt like it was too much (body-wise, not "wow, this is a lot of fat I'm eating") then cut back.  If you are just retraining your thoughts to eat fat, then remember "do not be afraid of butter."  :)

• Hi all sounds like a few more of us on the BP journey... nice :smile:

I have had a bit of a rough couple of weeks - feeling bad in the head and blowing up - usually my weight/body is pretty and stable and suddenly I was really bloated and on the  scales showed 4 kg heavier - ( is that  7 pounds?) also ankles swelled up - never had that!!... Also was getting really bad stomach ache after drinking BP coffee so searched the BP forum and got some reminders/ help: if your GI is not healthy coffee in not always a good thing... also it was pointed out maybe if GI is not well IF is not too good as it stains the body while it is not well. 

If you are not feeling too good: do elimination - you may be sensitive to something that you do not know 

After doing some elimination tests on my BPC sadly it seems I have become sensitive to MCT, butter and coffee - really I should have known - anything I eat everyday is likely to result in my body becoming sensitive to it :sad: . Because I love the butter especially and was eating heaps I was ignoring the discomfort that had been growing :sad:  We must tune in and use our intuition! If things are a bit wobbly and you are not sure what is causing the problem, eat one food at a time and watch the reaction to see which makes you unwell...

So I have been having ghee lately - did try sticking with BPC as was not sure what to replace the coffee with - vanilla and chocolate burns my mouth,  but today I have decided NO MORE COFFEE! ...  To get the fat I need: coconut cream, macadamia paste with ghee, coconut oil with almond paste etc... I can actually cope with chocolate mixed this way?? (maybe the emulsifying (blending in water) that makes it too available to cross my unhealthy gut lining??)

I loved daily IF - seemed easy but have now started eating breakfast (eggs and salmon or eggs and bacon or fatty meat no eggs) and do feel better - bit hard to get past the hunger that I did not have on IF and varying what I eat enough... but trying to work that out.

BTW the '4kg swelling' has gone away and body is back to settling at its steady size ( thank you body) . But just to confuse things a bit I realized I had started sleeping with a new memory-foam pillow that my husband had bought during this 'swelling 'episode - I aired it for a month before using to off gas it (it was over perfumed with aloe vera which to me smelt vile). I feel it might be contributing factor so I went back to my old pillow - I think that is helping too. It might be the MCT, butter and coffee and or it might be the pillow but a bit later I will try each one at a time to see how it goes.

An idea that I have been encountering lately is the idea of viewing trying-to-implement-new-things-in-our-life (BPIF/NFFBFW etc) as "experiments" - they will likely not be completely "right" for us first off. We WILL need to tweak them until they suit us. I think this idea takes a lot of pressure off each of us and keeps you focused not on the did i do it right? ( did I follow the book exactly?) way of thinking but is this working for me? and if it is not, do not throw it out with the bathwater - honor yourself enough to tweak - you are an individual. And that takes time!

My MCT/coffee/butter testing took me 7 days to get through all the different permutations that would allow me to say OK this is what is happening stop eating butter! still testing...

AimeeR - I think I have also come to agree with the higher carbs especially when active - but for me there is a threshold point which I have not quite found where too many carbs bring on brain fog and lethargy (I also think I am a carboholic and too many carbs - even 'healthy ones' bring on massive cravings) anyway ... observe observe, tweak tweak, test test...

Greer

I couldn't agree more with this.  I did an elimination diet, too. It is surprising what you find out you can be sensitive too.   I followed JJ Virgin's elimination diet while only eating foods off Dave's green list and no supplements.  Then I started adding the supplements slowly, then more foods.  I was feeling so good on the elimination diet that I didn't want to add back foods.  LOL!  Crazy, I know. 

Not to argue, but wondering if you had seen the threads about people having trouble with coffee and fats.  It was suggested to add a good quality HCA to your stack.  I suggested this to my friend and she is having great luck with the stomach issues.   I'm sure you have looked at many options, but wanted to toss that out there in case it may be the answer as it has been for many. 

I've found the charcoal to be invaluable when my body isn't handling something right. . . even tree pollen which I've only recently become allergic to.   You can be sure I'm taking the charcoal with me on my trip since I'll be eating out.  Everyone is my family is Paleo and my daughter has auto-immune (you wanna talk about a CLEAN diet, it is hers.  I'm in awe at how well she manages her health!!!) so I don't think I'll be having any problems food-wise.

Even though my husband is loving everything BP, he needs breakfast, too.  Breakfast for me just starts a chain of needing to eat or something weird.  Not sure, but it isn't comfortable.  I find IF more comfortable.  We are all different.

• Just thought I'd stop in and say Hi! Been reading this thread from the beginning and am now on day three of the protocol. Lovely to see so many questions answered by the rest of you before I even got going; many thanks!

Have been vaguely bulletproof for a few weeks already, so not finding things too tricky just yet. But tried HIIT no.3... and Damn! Managed five minutes before I nearly died!

• Just thought I'd stop in and say Hi! Been reading this thread from the beginning and am now on day three of the protocol. Lovely to see so many questions answered by the rest of you before I even got going; many thanks!

Have been vaguely bulletproof for a few weeks already, so not finding things too tricky just yet. But tried HIIT no.3... and Damn! Managed five minutes before I nearly died!

Hahaha  . yeah, I SOOOOO know that feeling.  I thought I was okay fit until I upped my workouts to some of the HIIT stuff.  Some days the best I can do is go for a walk.  But I figure anything I do is better than nothing.  

Glad to have another BP Lady aboard.  Welcome. 

• Hi all, 

Today is Day 10 for me following the book.  I have felt fantastic the entire time, and the scale says I am down about 8ish lbs.  I know that is water but it is still nice to look at:)  The biggest problem I have had is eating ENOUGH, because I am just not hungry.

I have had one weird thing happening, and I remember this happening the last time I attempted to be "Bulletproof", and that is my eyes are stinging.  Last time I thought it was a product I was using, but I know that is not the case now because I haven't changed anything.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Thanks!

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Any other symptoms with your eyes Mom43...

for example, are they more wet or dry than pre your dietary changes...or anything else you notice...

fake it till you make it

• Welcome Mon 43!  yes I get burning eyes - I am pretty sure it is too low carbs for my body. When I up my carbs just a bit it is better (40g on regular days not 30g as per book and plenty of carbs on refeeds). If I understand it right it is has to do with the mucous membranes not working as well as they should with low carbs - I get burning mouth and nose as well if my carbs are too low.

• daz - they don't seem to be wetter or drier, they just sting.  Kind of like how they feel if you get shampoo in them, but not quite that bad:)

Greer - glad to hear it isn't just me. I probably have been too low...like I said I just have not been hungry so sometimes getting enough food in has been a challenge (I can't believe I just said that)

Having my first refeed tonight so will pay attention and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

• wow, i would call 4kg quite a swelling.

that's nearly 9 pounds.

how long did it take to 'jump' 4kg

& then how long did it take to drop it

yes  Daz it freaked me out ! it had started creeping and I did not worry about it too much ( natural fluctuations and all) but then suddenly I really looked in the mirror and thought OMG and jumped on the scales... the big swell happened in about 2 days but once I took the steps  to do something it (no MTC, no butter, different pillow)  went away in about 7 days.  Does feel good that I have been able to 'hack this' and not run off to old habits.

Greer

I couldn't agree more with this.  I did an elimination diet, too. It is surprising what you find out you can be sensitive too.   I followed JJ Virgin's elimination diet while only eating foods off Dave's green list and no supplements.  Then I started adding the supplements slowly, then more foods.  I was feeling so good on the elimination diet that I didn't want to add back foods.  LOL!  Crazy, I know. 

Not to argue, but wondering if you had seen the threads about people having trouble with coffee and fats.  It was suggested to add a good quality HCA to your stack.  I suggested this to my friend and she is having great luck with the stomach issues.   I'm sure you have looked at many options, but wanted to toss that out there in case it may be the answer as it has been for many. 

I've found the charcoal to be invaluable when my body isn't handling something right. . . even tree pollen which I've only recently become allergic to.   You can be sure I'm taking the charcoal with me on my trip since I'll be eating out.  Everyone is my family is Paleo and my daughter has auto-immune (you wanna talk about a CLEAN diet, it is hers.  I'm in awe at how well she manages her health!!!) so I don't think I'll be having any problems food-wise.

Even though my husband is loving everything BP, he needs breakfast, too.  Breakfast for me just starts a chain of needing to eat or something weird.  Not sure, but it isn't comfortable.  I find IF more comfortable.  We are all different.

Linda

I will look at the JJ Virgin program - it has taken a bit for me to learn this need to do it really slowely and I need to step back and keep on with the experimenting and know it is OK. thanks for your story about this.

Yes I am finding it hard to go back to breakfast - yes it sets up patterns for eating - am trying to make it as IF as possible - only fat and protein NO carbs and then at 1pm have lunch as I would have on BP IF... I will do IF now and then and maybe it will be OK all the time in a while.

I do not seem to have problem with fat in stomach - I did have some HCA / Betain which I have taken now and then but a couple of times have had to neutralize it as it seems my stomach is fine...

I think by body is saying no to coffee ( which is strange I used to love it) - it is now tasting like fly spray not matter what I do and I am using BP beans. I think it is my body say stop.

Have great trip!

daz - they don't seem to be wetter or drier, they just sting.  Kind of like how they feel if you get shampoo in them, but not quite that bad:)

Greer - glad to hear it isn't just me. I probably have been too low...like I said I just have not been hungry so sometimes getting enough food in has been a challenge (I can't believe I just said that)

Having my first refeed tonight so will pay attention and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

Yes it t is strange to be having to make sure we eat enough - I think for the long term of this it is important... I have said this earlier on in this thread but a year ago I was on low carb, lowish fat and ended up really sick (not enough nutrients, not clean enough food and not enough calories probably) - and with the food sensitivity issues that I have now.

My advice is support you body as much as possible - do not over ( or should I say under)  do it (our culture around diet particularly is the less you have the better - NO!!). It is hard and you do need to remain vigilant at all times, it will need to be tweaked but you are on the journey... yippee for BP

• Hi everyone!!

Thank you for sharing all your wisdom.

Greer, my weight has gone up too, and I really wanted to lose a couple pounds and just be relaxed at 85-90lbs rather than constantly trying to get to more deathly low weights. I got all the way down to that range and then went all the way up. 

And for me, the problem was chocolate. Again. I put a post in the Bulletproof Diet forum describing what always happens to me with chocolate. http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/14749-chocolate-a-description-of-addiction/

Thanks for the reminder that everyday staples can cause sensitivity. I've seen it happen, and I've worried about it. But my naturopath back where I used to live told me it doesn't happen with everything, not with 'milder' things. He was encouraging me to keep with my coconut cream program, which really does work for me. 

Although, I did just do a bit of research about Tetra pak--I was so pleased with myself to have ditched the cans and found cartons of coconut cream--and I'm going to have to figure something else out :( http://www.elaharrison.com/blog/item/when-ignorance-was-bliss-a-look-at-tetra-pak -- to your point about daily use, I'm sure I'd be okay with this on occasion, but having it for both my meals every day might be asking for intolerance.

I'm glad you found the ghee hack, and I second Linda's suggestion of a betaine/hydrochloric acid supp.

I had an epiphany about carb refeeds, which I've had a really hard time with. I realized the term "refeed" was throwing me off. Instead, I should think of it as "getting out of ketosis." That way, I'm less apt to fast the day before and feel obliged to eat as if it's the last chance I'll ever get having worked out fasted and crazed.

I've also added back in a small 50g berries or a carrot in the evenings. I'm thinking I probably don't need as much carb on the refeed days as most because my calos are so low in general (except in the chocolate-fueled binges recently), and that having a little bit in the evenings is fine. So far so much better...

• I hear you on wanting variety with beverages; I'm not big on straight water either. Some suggestions in a moment, but first...

Re kombucha, I know that Dave and others have concerns about two things (1) it's  a "wild" fermentation, which means we don't necessarily know what bugs are in it (so Donna Gates, for example, says not to have it) and (2) especially the stuff you buy at the store has a lot of sugar added. Compared to my homemade kombucha (which I choose to allow to ferment until it's almost vinegar), the store-bought stuff is like soda pop.

If you do a search for it on this forum, I'm sure I read someone saying that it took him out of ketosis also, which may or may not be a consideration for you.

But if you like ginger kombucha, you can make a yummy drink by grating up fresh ginger and steeping it in water, and adding some apple cider vinegar to taste (a teaspoon to a tablespoon, or more) and a little stevia to sweeten. You could do the same with ginger tea, either hot or cold.

I really enjoy all kinds of herbal teas. Lemon squeezed in water is great also, although since I've been trying to be even more hardcore about carbs I've started saving lemon water for evenings (used to have first thing in the morning). But for a similarly sour refreshing taste, hibiscus tea is great. Just a few of the dried blossoms go a long way. Really nice cold. A few fresh mint leaves in water is delightful, but you can do that with basil, oregano, rosemary also.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, or at least that it gives you some ideas to play with.

Hawaii! Yay for you! I am happy to hear you are feeling better today and full of energy! 

Yes, I will do my best to read my body but I do have to say I am a big "rule" person...Do you happen to know if you can do "too much fat"? Yesterday and today I had 3 BP coffee's...and I feel like that is too much... :( Also, do you know if Ginger Kambucha is "allowed" to drink? Water and coffee is getting boring to me and it is only day 2...yikes! 

• Thank you Linda! 😊

On day four (evening) and have a headache. Suspect it's a "liver" issue due to detox as is at front of head and behind eyes. Drinking lots of water. Have some chewable charcoal tablets from a while back but they contain sugar so don't think I should risk them. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted!
  • This is a must read for women on BPD.  I clarifies so much with humor and plain, straight talk.  I refer to it often along with the BPD book.  It helped me so much to coordinate the my new food and fitness program.  I was an aerobics instructor, so it has been an eye opener for me to drop back and do a big paradigm shift, but this book helped a lot.  Wish I had written it!  HA!

• I did have headaches at first as well.  I also had some, what I would call, old fashioned stomach aches, but they subsided pretty quickly and now I feel great.  It is just the detox working.  Hang in there and see if you feel better.  Of course, if not, you should get checked out. 

• Thank you for your reply Sarahshak!

Yep, was typical detox headache lasting from day three to four! Just had to suck it up and wait it out!
  • GreerGreer
    edited March 2015

ela  thanks for the suggestions about teas - I will try - you are definitely being hard core about carbs not taking lemon juice in water until evening! 

I hear you on wanting variety with beverages; I'm not big on straight water either. Some suggestions in a moment, but first...

Re kombucha, I know that Dave and others have concerns about two things (1) it's  a "wild" fermentation, which means we don't necessarily know what bugs are in it (so Donna Gates, for example, says not to have it) and (2) especially the stuff you buy at the store has a lot of sugar added. Compared to my homemade kombucha (which I choose to allow to ferment until it's almost vinegar), the store-bought stuff is like soda pop.

If you do a search for it on this forum, I'm sure I read someone saying that it took him out of ketosis also, which may or may not be a consideration for you.

But if you like ginger kombucha, you can make a yummy drink by grating up fresh ginger and steeping it in water, and adding some apple cider vinegar to taste (a teaspoon to a tablespoon, or more) and a little stevia to sweeten. You could do the same with ginger tea, either hot or cold.

I really enjoy all kinds of herbal teas. Lemon squeezed in water is great also, although since I've been trying to be even more hardcore about carbs I've started saving lemon water for evenings (used to have first thing in the morning). But for a similarly sour refreshing taste, hibiscus tea is great. Just a few of the dried blossoms go a long way. Really nice cold. A few fresh mint leaves in water is delightful, but you can do that with basil, oregano, rosemary also.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, or at least that it gives you some ideas to play with.

I had a go at BP coffee this morning again with coconut cream instead of butter/ghee ...and within 2 mouthfuls had horrible stomach cramps - so it seems BPC it is indeed out for me. Now to find how to do IF without BPC - I do not want to have breakfast every day - just makes me feel heavy all day... Also think I am not going into ketosis - hence the weight gain, despite eating 40 g carbs only... Regular IF is not good for women - and I would not enjoy not eating (ingesting) anything for that many hours!

So bizarre - I really loved coffee (one a day only) but I did have about 4 sugars in it! 

started casual BPing for about 3 months ago, and strict NFFBFW about 2 months, so am bit despondent that my body has gone back to a default setting - did post this idea on another thread - this "theory" that my body has a "default" setting that no matter what I eat or how 'healthily' - it will always return to this default - even if it is not a nice place to be... Was great for about a month doing NFFBFW (not least bit tired, lost weight, had energy etc) and then with no change to diet started getting tired again, feeling crappy and putting on weight... I think this sort of thing has happened to me time and time again. And each time I return to the default I have fewer options (more sensitivities) . And when I talk to a doctor they think I am an idiot and hand me a food pyramid eating guide.

• Hi Greer, 

This must be so frustrating for you. I've often thought that it would be possible to cultivate a strong connection - almost conversation with - our innate body wisdom. There's so much happening in your system, and within all that, your body (I hesitate to call it that, as if it's something separate from you) knows perfectly well what it needs. I don't know much about muscle testing but I think that's the operating principle, that you can get a clear yes or no response relatively to certain foods/supplements. It seems like this could be tapped somehow in hypnosis, too - that you drop into that calm clear state of mind and then ask yourself what you need to feel your best (or by a process of elimination: imagine coffee, and you get that ick feeling; imagine butter, etc). It probably involves a lot of waiting because you have to sense the answer rather than think it.

Another thought in case it's of any use: Skye does talk about mixing things up every few months, and maybe for you that just has to happen more often.

And one more - apologies because I'm not caught up on this thread so maybe you've gone into this - how active are you? I find that when I'm exercising and moving in a way that really suits me, I respond better to all foods (and get deeper sleep, which helps everything) but also that it strengthens my intuition about what to eat. Food as nourishment feels very tangible in those moments, and I'm drawn more strongly to what I need.

• Hi Everyone!  I just finished Skye's book (actually, I read it in one day!), and am setting all up to start (looking for meal ideas, making a list of supplements I have to buy, etc).  

Although I am very excited to start this program, I have one concern.  Two years ago I tried the 4-Hour-Body diet, and landed in the hospital with a severe depression.  A quick search on google showed me that carbs help produce serotonin, so I concluded it was partly due to that.  I have to mention that I have a history of depression and some other psych problems, which I now treat completely naturally with a very powerful  supplement (EM Powerplus Q96).  I am now completely med free (see "The Med Free Method" on Amazon) and very healthy, but am afraid that this diet will bring back the psych problems again.  At the same time I have to loose about 35 kilos (which I partially gained due to psych medication), so I can't wait to start NFFBFW.

Does someone now about the link between carbs and serotonin?  Does someone have had the same problems in the past?  

Thank you very much in advance.

Mariela

• Welcome, Mariela! I don't have any specific advice that could help you, but I wonder if one option for you would be to try low-carb BP with 2x/week refeeds for a while and see how that goes (essentially, do Skye's program but starting from Day 10). I know that it's not what she recommends but many folks have great success with that even without doing an initial carb depletion. 

Do you get warning signals? Are there some symptoms that you see early on before getting a full depressive episode? Or is there someone who can keep an eye on that for you?

• Hi Mariela,

Welcome! I'm so happy you're joining us. I really do think there's a lot of virtue in how we can pool our experience as we all experiment on ourselves.

And how interesting that while it sounds like you may need to take care to maintain your carbohydrate intake and not go too low carb, I was getting ready to make a post asking if anyone else is okay with not adding in many carbs. I have bipolar disorder, and I am currently on meds but would love not to be, so thank you for sharing the book recommendation. There's some research suggesting that ketogenic diets can help to control bipolar (and schizophrenia, migraines, etc).

As far as serotonin and carbs, here's what I understand. The precursor to serotonin is 5-htp, which is produced from the amino acid tryptophan. The issue with tryptophan is that several other amino acids compete with it for absorption and are absorbed in preference to it. Most all foods contain some tryptophan, so the reason carbs are recommended for serotonin absorption is that if you reduce the ambient protein (amino acid) concentration in the meal, you give the tryptophan more chance of being absorbed.

For a bonus, tryptophan is also the precursor for producing melatonin, which is necessary to good sleep. Dunno about you, but if I'm not getting good sleep I don't have a good handle on my mental health  :???:

So it sounds like based on your prior experience, you should start off with carbs a bit higher, perhaps skip Skye's 10-day reset at the beginning or modify to include some safe starch in the evening, and monitor very closely to see if you also need a couple days a week with much higher carbs.

Hope this is a bit of help?

Hi Everyone!  I just finished Skye's book (actually, I read it in one day!), and am setting all up to start (looking for meal ideas, making a list of supplements I have to buy, etc).  

Although I am very excited to start this program, I have one concern.  Two years ago I tried the 4-Hour-Body diet, and landed in the hospital with a severe depression.  A quick search on google showed me that carbs help produce serotonin, so I concluded it was partly due to that.  I have to mention that I have a history of depression and some other psych problems, which I now treat completely naturally with a very powerful  supplement (EM Powerplus Q96).  I am now completely med free (see "The Med Free Method" on Amazon) and very healthy, but am afraid that this diet will bring back the psych problems again.  At the same time I have to loose about 35 kilos (which I partially gained due to psych medication), so I can't wait to start NFFBFW.

Does someone now about the link between carbs and serotonin?  Does someone have had the same problems in the past?  

Thank you very much in advance.

Mariela

• Wow! Thank you very much for your responses ela and musicmama.  I had not been notified about them, so I just logged in and got surprised ;)  

That is a good idea, I will try skipping the 10 day reset, lets see how it works.

I wish you all a lot of success in this journey, and I will keep posting my results.

• Hi ladies.  I'm back!!!  Yippee! 

• edited March 2015
    Hi Guys, I downloaded my copy of Skye's book and am so excited to get started, I want to get it right before starting so have a number of questions i'm hoping you may be able to answer.

I suffered from Adrenal gland fatigue, leaky gut and candida and have spent the last three years trying to get back to optimal health. Due to the AGF I have not had caffeine as it is classed as a stimulant and bad for the adrenals so wanted to make sure I could have it. Have to admit I did make a butter coffee yesterday and was absolutely buzzing though it has made me slightly nauseous today.

I have a veg shake everyday it contains 1 cup of coconut milk and half a cup of filtered water, 1 tbs of chia seeds, 1 tbs ACV, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp tumeric, 4 tbs aloevera, knob of fresh ginger, 30g frozen Organic spinach, 30g frozen organic Kale, 1 floret of frozen organic broccoli, 4 frozen brussel sprouts, 1tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp almond butter, 1 tbs natural yoghurt, 1 tsp of vital greens. I sometimes have this 3 times a day. In the mornings i have a sachet of New Gen vitamins. I have two questions with this, one is the Newgen ok to have? all the ingredients are organic but it does contain fruits so should i cut this out? Having gone through the forums I see that nuts and seeds should be avoided so I presume I should cut out the chia, yoghurt and almond butter

Should I also stay away from Almond milk? (I make my own)

In the mornings i always drink a pint of water with a slice of lemon, is this ok to continue with? I've got some pink salt so will start this tomorrow.

I know I have loads more questions but I have a brain freeze at the moment and can't think, so thank you in advance

just wanted to add I've got horrendous heartburn/acid reflux in my throat, any ideas why and what to do? Thanks
  • edited March 2015

Hi Ladies,

I've enjoyed reading about your experiences on this protocol and I'd like to share mine with you. I've been bulletproofing pretty accurately on and off for quite a few months now... interval bulletproofing!... off when I gave in to PMS cravings and ate tons of sugar and/or salty carbs and then used Activated Charcoal to attempt a jump in detox the next day.

Other than a few days in the past 6 or so months, I've been great about sticking to a super low toxin, low inflammation green bulletproof diet, and then last month I started supplementing with just the basics and I feel better than ever, but I am taking a lot of pills which is new for me. The longer I've kept up the bulletproofing, the more I've gotten into health-hacking, it's life-changing!

I'm an actress, and I tell all my actor friends how much fat I eat and they just look at me weird. I rave to my friends about switching to this lifestyle, I'm not going to say diet... I was mostly an all organic vegetarian, but now I've cut some of my favorite veggies and beans (and grains! Quinoa and Corn I miss you guys) because apparently they're inflammatory. Eating meat is strange but it tastes delicious. Does anyone have a source on the most low toxin bacon out there?

Does anyone have a BP nut recipe? Sprouted Cashew nut or Amond milk? I switched to coconut milk from my usual almond milk, and stopped having almond butter or any nut butter which I miss... because I was wondering about my Omega 6 level imbalance and if I was carrying extra weight because of high levels? Also I gave up cereal... virtually all sugar except a few of the low toxin BP fruits but not everyday - I used to live on fruit, fruit and yogurt in fact, but it's been 6 months since I last had yogurt! Is there a BP yogurt?? Omg I just thought of that, does it exist? I've had no alcohol for at least 21 days, all bread, chips, all grains except white rice on carb re-feeds ( I LOVE COCONUT RICE). I've taken advantage of fulfilling my sweet tooth with that dark dark chocolate, but I definitely want less and less of it.

When I decided to see if there was any female-specific method to bulletproofing, I caught wind of Skye's book and now today is day 21 of my 1st try on the No Fail Fat Burning protocol and I do miss working out, though I don't feel less fit, I feel pretty fit and on my way to optimum shape, so I have a few questions:

1 - Should I do the 10 day or another full 21 days again? or do the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol to lose this stubborn weight? How often should one do the 21 days AND what do I do on day 22???

Can I eat carbs during the day now? or even just at night but more often than 2x week, after my workouts? Can I eat corn? Popcorn is my absolute favorite snack and I've been missing it like crazy. I'm also a former croissant and sourdough bread addict, but when I started having BP coffee after a week or so, I lost my craving for it.

However, I didn't lose the 10-15lbs I wanted to lose, though I look amazing and I'm very happy with how I look, I still have some fat around my middle, the kind you can suck in and hide with the right fit of pants but not in a bikini, well actually I have a bit of excess fat other places I'd like to eliminate, on my back and arms and my legs... and I understand these few lbs are the most difficult to lose... it may be just 5lbs, it's difficult for me to gauge as a lay-person but my point being, I think I did everything 95-100% according to Skye's book... with the exception of the probiotic, which I'm a bit gun-shy about taking to be honest.

2 - I've read things about people taking probiotic and having a bad reaction - I didn't want to risk it. How do I tell if I need to fix my gut? On a BP podcast I heard that taking 4000mg/day of DHA (it was suggested to take the algae form) for 6 months to heal a "broken" brain. Funny way to put it, right? So how do we know if are gut and our brains are broken? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew I needed it. I found out I'm anemic, and when I was 10-12 I had a blood test and was anemic then, other than that I haven't had much blood work done. My Dr. prescribed me iron 2x/day for 3 months. It's been a couple weeks on it, is it bulletproof to take iron?

Is the probiotic the missing link to my weight loss? I'm also wondering if I'm Leptin resistant and how to tell? Is there a test?

3- During my 10 day carb depletion phase I didn't have protein in the AM, but I started on day 12 or so having BP Collagen in my coffee 1-2x/day. I like that it's super satisfying, some days I think I don't eat enough calories because the coffees satiate (sate?) me. Would not eating enough calories attribute to me not losing the weight? I haven't counted calories, but sometimes I only get in one big meal, often late in the evening, 8pm. How do I tell if adding the protein is the right move for me?

4 - I miss exercising more often, but I'm holding out to see if the combo in Skye's book does the job. I do boxing interval training and dance usually weekly, sometimes 2x boxing and I may start weapons training next week. I've let up on yoga but I do stretch a lot, and I just bought a rebounder I'm going to start using to mimic the Vibe. Doing all these things isn't too much is it?

5- last one! I discovered coconut flour and have made butter cookies 3 times, they are delicious and filling. I ate them on non-carb re-feed days though in the evening. I didn't go over my 30g carb limit. What do we think about coconut flour?

Thanks everyone! Sticking to this for 21 days is a great feeling!

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to go eat some butter. :smile:

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

Hi Ladies,

I've enjoyed reading about your experiences on this protocol and I'd like to share mine with you. I've been bulletproofing pretty accurately on and off for quite a few months now... interval bulletproofing!... off when I gave in to PMS cravings and ate tons of sugar and/or salty carbs and then used Activated Charcoal to attempt a jump in detox the next day.

Other than a few days in the past 6 or so months, I've been great about sticking to a super low toxin, low inflammation green bulletproof diet, and then last month I started supplementing with just the basics and I feel better than ever, but I am taking a lot of pills which is new for me. The longer I've kept up the bulletproofing, the more I've gotten into health-hacking, it's life-changing!

I'm an actress, and I tell all my actor friends how much fat I eat and they just look at me weird. I rave to my friends about switching to this lifestyle, I'm not going to say diet... I was mostly an all organic vegetarian, but now I've cut some of my favorite veggies and beans (and grains! Quinoa and Corn I miss you guys) because apparently they're inflammatory. Eating meat is strange but it tastes delicious. Does anyone have a source on the most low toxin bacon out there?

Does anyone have a BP nut recipe? Sprouted Cashew nut or Amond milk? I switched to coconut milk from my usual almond milk, and stopped having almond butter or any nut butter which I miss... because I was wondering about my Omega 6 level imbalance and if I was carrying extra weight because of high levels? Also I gave up cereal... virtually all sugar except a few of the low toxin BP fruits but not everyday - I used to live on fruit, fruit and yogurt in fact, but it's been 6 months since I last had yogurt! Is there a BP yogurt?? Omg I just thought of that, does it exist? I've had no alcohol for at least 21 days, all bread, chips, all grains except white rice on carb re-feeds ( I LOVE COCONUT RICE). I've taken advantage of fulfilling my sweet tooth with that dark dark chocolate, but I definitely want less and less of it.

When I decided to see if there was any female-specific method to bulletproofing, I caught wind of Skye's book and now today is day 21 of my 1st try on the No Fail Fat Burning protocol and I do miss working out, though I don't feel less fit, I feel pretty fit and on my way to optimum shape, so I have a few questions:

1 - Should I do the 10 day or another full 21 days again? or do the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol to lose this stubborn weight? How often should one do the 21 days AND what do I do on day 22???

Can I eat carbs during the day now? or even just at night but more often than 2x week, after my workouts? Can I eat corn? Popcorn is my absolute favorite snack and I've been missing it like crazy. I'm also a former croissant and sourdough bread addict, but when I started having BP coffee after a week or so, I lost my craving for it.

However, I didn't lose the 10-15lbs I wanted to lose, though I look amazing and I'm very happy with how I look, I still have some fat around my middle, the kind you can suck in and hide with the right fit of pants but not in a bikini, well actually I have a bit of excess fat other places I'd like to eliminate, on my back and arms and my legs... and I understand these few lbs are the most difficult to lose... it may be just 5lbs, it's difficult for me to gauge as a lay-person but my point being, I think I did everything 95-100% according to Skye's book... with the exception of the probiotic, which I'm a bit gun-shy about taking to be honest.

2 - I've read things about people taking probiotic and having a bad reaction - I didn't want to risk it. How do I tell if I need to fix my gut? On a BP podcast I heard that taking 4000mg/day of DHA (it was suggested to take the algae form) for 6 months to heal a "broken" brain. Funny way to put it, right? So how do we know if are gut and our brains are broken? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew I needed it. I found out I'm anemic, and when I was 10-12 I had a blood test and was anemic then, other than that I haven't had much blood work done. My Dr. prescribed me iron 2x/day for 3 months. It's been a couple weeks on it, is it bulletproof to take iron?

Is the probiotic the missing link to my weight loss? I'm also wondering if I'm Leptin resistant and how to tell? Is there a test?

3- During my 10 day carb depletion phase I didn't have protein in the AM, but I started on day 12 or so having BP Collagen in my coffee 1-2x/day. I like that it's super satisfying, some days I think I don't eat enough calories because the coffees satiate (sate?) me. Would not eating enough calories attribute to me not losing the weight? I haven't counted calories, but sometimes I only get in one big meal, often late in the evening, 8pm. How do I tell if adding the protein is the right move for me?

4 - I miss exercising more often, but I'm holding out to see if the combo in Skye's book does the job. I do boxing interval training and dance usually weekly, sometimes 2x boxing and I may start weapons training next week. I've let up on yoga but I do stretch a lot, and I just bought a rebounder I'm going to start using to mimic the Vibe. Doing all these things isn't too much is it?

5- last one! I discovered coconut flour and have made butter cookies 3 times, they are delicious and filling. I ate them on non-carb re-feed days though in the evening. I didn't go over my 30g carb limit. What do we think about coconut flour?

Thanks everyone! Sticking to this for 21 days is a great feeling!

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to go eat some butter. :smile:

Welcome, jsb !!!!

Wow !  That's a big post to digest !!!  (pun intended).  I'm by no means an expert here, but I think I can address some of your questions.

One question for you - have you noticed that your PMS cravings have diminished?  I found most of my cravings gone after being BP for a couple of weeks -- and I had a HUGE sweet tooth!

I think most of us agree that BP IS life-changing !!!!  Who knew butter could do so much !?!

I found grass fed bacon at Whole Foods.  (aka Whole Wallet and Whole Paycheck).  It was delicious!

I eat cashews = but no other nuts.  They are high in selenium, so that's one less pill I need to take!    If the butter had no ingredients other than the nut and salt, I'd say its worth a try - or maybe you can add it in later to see what effect it has on how you feel, look, etc.  Its all about the hacking here!!!

No yogurt.  Altho Dave never says NO completely, check the chart -- I don't have mine handy, but I think yogurt is in the toxic zone.  (along with my beloved cheese - I'm still in mourning) 

?1 - I'm a little confused.  Did you do the 10-day Carb Depletion phase for 21 days?  If so, I think I'd move on to the POST Carb Depletion phase - where you perform work outs and carb refeeds on the same day - with 3 complete days in between.  She states not to skip carb re-feed, which can stall weight loss. 

?2 - The DO I? DONT I? probiotic is a choice you're going to have to make.  I bought them, but then decided to go RFLP so I have not opened them yet.  I see myself transitioning to Skye's method at some point, so I will assess it then.  You can always introduce it and see how you do.  As far as iron goes, Dave suggests organ meats (4 oz of beef liver a week will do it).  He doesn't like the taste of liver, so he uses capsules.  I just plop a strip of liver in with my steak once a week. 

?3 - The posts here and Dave also suggest that protein "breaks the fast".  So if you're trying to keep your eating within a specific time frame (say, from 4-8), and be fasting the rest of the time, then no.  You'd skip the protein.  If you find you feel way better on it, or are eating more, then keep on doing it !  I DO believe that not eating enough will stall weight loss.  I, too, had that problem where I just wasn't hungry, and therefore, I think I wasn't eating enough.  That, by and large, has worked itself out, but I do not have protein in my coffee.

?4 - I think you should do what you want, exercise wise.  Too much can be a problem, from what I've read, but if it makes you feel sluggish or tired not to, I'd stick with what feels good to you.  I have found that I want to be more active, so I've started doing the kettlebell workout from Tim Ferriss' 4 hour body.

?5 - I don't know a thing about coconut flour, sorry !!  The cookies sound yummy - can you send me some ?  :-) 

I hope this helps a little -- let us know how you are doing, and keep up the great work !!!!

Lisa

• Yay...boo...I am now finished with day 21...however I don't feel any different. I will weigh myself tomorrow and haven't weighed in 2 weeks, I also did a water fat test a couple weeks ago as well. I am a little discouraged because I was hoping that after following Skye's program religiously I would feel different..., slimmer, leaner, more energy, etc. Not sure what I should do...I only have 10lbs to go but it feels like 50...I am wondering if I should try the rapid protocol, does anyone have thoughts or experience with that?

Thanks!

• Thanks for the input! Anyone else have any answers? Coconut Flour?

Here's the Butter Cookie recipe -

3T Coconut Flour

2T Butter

1T Honey

Pinch of Pink Salt

Cook at 365 degrees for 9 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spoon the dough on the parchment, the cookies will be small, making 6-8, I didn't want them bigger than this. The cookies should be golden brown. Let them cool so they congeal, or they'll break apart, they're similar to shortbread in consistency. You could probably add cinnamon too? The coconut flour and honey combination makes them fairly sweet.

Makes 6-8 cookies, two bites each, they're tiny. Dense and filling, make sure to have a coffee or something else to drink with these.

I stuck dark chocolate chips on mine. I made the recipe 3x now. Bon Apetit!

• Hello! I don't know that I can answer anything definitively, but two things jump out.

(1) if you have adrenal fatigue, you should consider staying off the coffee/caffeine--you can make a butter/MCT drink with something like holy basil (tulsi) instead that would suit you better 

and

(2) the general wisdom around adrenal issues is that it's better not to go too low carb in that case. So don't eliminate all your safe starches. At least have some pumpkin or sweet potato on the regular.

The greens in your greens shake are all greens that may be more digestible cooked. Dave has it the wrong way round when he talks about oxalates in kale--it's spinach that has the oxalates--but kale/brussels sprouts/broccoli are all brassicas and contain compounds that may affect thyroid function but are deactivated when cooked. (NB I don't know what freezing does in this case.)

The almonds and chia you're using in small quantities, but you might want to try leaving them out and seeing how you feel. I'm eating almonds right now but I didn't for quite a while.

In general, actually, I think it might be useful for you to leave things out and then reintroduce them. Your smoothie has enough ingredients that if, for example, something was causing heartburn, it would be hard to separate out what it is. 

I remember Skye recommending to leave out the lemon from the morning water and having it in the evening, but it's really your call. A tablespoon of lemon is a gram of carb. 

How many carbs per serving of your newgen? I'm suspecting the fruits are in such tiny amounts as to be negligible.

If you tell us a bit more about your situation, we might be able to help re the heartburn. Is it possible you have too little stomach acid? Sometimes when people have too little it's more apt to splash up and cause the sensation of heartburn. In which case, betaine HCl capsules would solve your problem. You can experiment by taking just one. If you get heartburn from it just take a bit of bicarbonate of soda to neutralize. If the HCl helps a bit but not completely, take more.

Hi Guys, I downloaded my copy of Skye's book and am so excited to get started, I want to get it right before starting so have a number of questions i'm hoping you may be able to answer.

I suffered from Adrenal gland fatigue, leaky gut and candida and have spent the last three years trying to get back to optimal health. Due to the AGF I have not had caffeine as it is classed as a stimulant and bad for the adrenals so wanted to make sure I could have it. Have to admit I did make a butter coffee yesterday and was absolutely buzzing though it has made me slightly nauseous today.

I have a veg shake everyday it contains 1 cup of coconut milk and half a cup of filtered water, 1 tbs of chia seeds, 1 tbs ACV, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp tumeric, 4 tbs aloevera, knob of fresh ginger, 30g frozen Organic spinach, 30g frozen organic Kale, 1 floret of frozen organic broccoli, 4 frozen brussel sprouts, 1tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp almond butter, 1 tbs natural yoghurt, 1 tsp of vital greens. I sometimes have this 3 times a day. In the mornings i have a sachet of New Gen vitamins. I have two questions with this, one is the Newgen ok to have? all the ingredients are organic but it does contain fruits so should i cut this out? Having gone through the forums I see that nuts and seeds should be avoided so I presume I should cut out the chia, yoghurt and almond butter

Should I also stay away from Almond milk? (I make my own)

In the mornings i always drink a pint of water with a slice of lemon, is this ok to continue with? I've got some pink salt so will start this tomorrow.

I know I have loads more questions but I have a brain freeze at the moment and can't think, so thank you in advance

just wanted to add I've got horrendous heartburn/acid reflux in my throat, any ideas why and what to do? Thanks

• I think coconut flour is great. It's very high in fiber, quite high in protein, low in overall carbs. Coconut's my staple food anyway, and I like that it's even applicable in baking. It's a heavy flour because of all the fiber, and it needs a lot of liquid and binding in recipes, so most recipes call for a lot of eggs. But there's a ton of vegan coconut flour recipes out there now too, utilizing all kinds of other binders.

I think it's far preferable to almond flour because coconut stands up to heat much better than almond does.

Thanks for the input! Anyone else have any answers? Coconut Flour?

Here's the Butter Cookie recipe -

3T Coconut Flour

2T Butter

1T Honey

Pinch of Pink Salt

Cook at 365 degrees for 9 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spoon the dough on the parchment, the cookies will be small, making 6-8, I didn't want them bigger than this. The cookies should be golden brown. Let them cool so they congeal, or they'll break apart, they're similar to shortbread in consistency. You could probably add cinnamon too? The coconut flour and honey combination makes them fairly sweet.

Makes 6-8 cookies, two bites each, they're tiny. Dense and filling, make sure to have a coffee or something else to drink with these.

I stuck dark chocolate chips on mine. I made the recipe 3x now. Bon Apetit!