No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Couple small qualifications to Cruiser42's great comments:

I eat cashews = but no other nuts.  They are high in selenium, so that's one less pill I need to take!    If the butter had no ingredients other than the nut and salt, I'd say its worth a try - or maybe you can add it in later to see what effect it has on how you feel, look, etc.  Its all about the hacking here!!!

Ela: cashews aren't high in selenium; brazil nuts are the ones that are SUPER high in selenium. The issue for me with cashews, although they are delicious, is that they have much more carbohydrate than other nuts (except pistachios, and chestnuts which are a total starch).

No yogurt.  Altho Dave never says NO completely, check the chart -- I don't have mine handy, but I think yogurt is in the toxic zone.  (along with my beloved cheese - I'm still in mourning) 

Ela: If you're a real lover of yogurt, if you have access to high-quality raw kefir in your area that might be an acceptably bulletproof substitution. I've heard that the bacterial profile is better with kefir...

?2 - The DO I? DONT I? probiotic is a choice you're going to have to make.  I bought them, but then decided to go RFLP so I have not opened them yet.  I see myself transitioning to Skye's method at some point, so I will assess it then.  You can always introduce it and see how you do.  As far as iron goes, Dave suggests organ meats (4 oz of beef liver a week will do it).  He doesn't like the taste of liver, so he uses capsules.  I just plop a strip of liver in with my steak once a week. 

Ela: I totally agree with this and just wanted to add: they're saying that the human gut resets in terms of its bacterial colony within just a couple weeks, and most probiotics from the store are therapeutic but don't actually colonize. The reason I bring this up is to say don't be afraid to experiment. The worst thing about buying a batch of probiotics that don't work for you is the waste of money. But if you get a negative reaction to something (which is super unusual, btw), you haven't jacked yourself up as if you'd gone to the jungle and come back with a nasty bug; you've just disturbed your fauna a bit and they should return to normal shortly--as I understand it anyway. 

The only other thing that can happen is the Herxheimer reaction, where introducing good bacteria causes die off of bad guys and you feel lousy and maybe have diarrhea a bit. But the end result is that you feel waaay better (I've had it happen to me when taking a super-high dose of probiotics, and I'm glad that I knew what was happening).

• Ok, it is official... only lost 2lbs in 21 days and 2 fats in 21 days...needless to say it is hard for me to pick myself up from the ground right now...Should I be doing the RFLP? I thought that was only if you had large amounts to lose...please help...!

• Thanks for the input! Anyone else have any answers? Coconut Flour?

Here's the Butter Cookie recipe -

3T Coconut Flour

2T Butter

1T Honey

Pinch of Pink Salt

Cook at 365 degrees for 9 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spoon the dough on the parchment, the cookies will be small, making 6-8, I didn't want them bigger than this. The cookies should be golden brown. Let them cool so they congeal, or they'll break apart, they're similar to shortbread in consistency. You could probably add cinnamon too? The coconut flour and honey combination makes them fairly sweet.

Makes 6-8 cookies, two bites each, they're tiny. Dense and filling, make sure to have a coffee or something else to drink with these.

I stuck dark chocolate chips on mine. I made the recipe 3x now. Bon Apetit!

Love this recipe. Thank you. 

I made up a Brazilian Nut cookie a few weeks ago.   It is a really dense and filling cookie.  Makes 1 dozen

1 egg

1/2 t of BP Vanilla Max (any vanilla will do, but this is what I used)

3/4 c of Brazil Nut Flour (put the nuts in a food processor to make the flour)

1 T honey

1/4 c unsweetened coconut

1/4 t cinnamon

2 T BP collagen protein powder

Shape dough into 1" balls, then press down on cookie sheet.  Bake 350* for 16 mins - slightly brown around the edges.

• Ok, it is official... only lost 2lbs in 21 days and 2 fats in 21 days...needless to say it is hard for me to pick myself up from the ground right now...Should I be doing the RFLP? I thought that was only if you had large amounts to lose...please help...!

WHAT??? How discouraging.  How are you feeling physically, emotionally, sleeping, energy?  I find that many days I can easily live on one meal a day and feel GREAT.  Other days I need to refeed.  It seems to keep my stable in all those areas, but listening to my body is the key.

I'm not sure how you prepped for the RFLP.  It may be that your body wasn't ready for it.  I honestly don't even know what that means, though.  Perhaps a gut issue? or a hormone/nutrient imbalance?   Might I suggest you post a request for N-1 ideas in the main forum.  There are some great hackers that don't necessarily read the women's forum. 

• WHAT??? How discouraging.  How are you feeling physically, emotionally, sleeping, energy?  I find that many days I can easily live on one meal a day and feel GREAT.  Other days I need to refeed.  It seems to keep my stable in all those areas, but listening to my body is the key.

I'm not sure how you prepped for the RFLP.  It may be that your body wasn't ready for it.  I honestly don't even know what that means, though.  Perhaps a gut issue? or a hormone/nutrient imbalance?   Might I suggest you post a request for N-1 ideas in the main forum.  There are some great hackers that don't necessarily read the women's forum. 

Super discouraging... I would't say that I have noticed any change physically, emotionally, sleeping, energy... Did you mean to request "number 1 ideas" in the main forum?

​Thanks! I am determined to figure this out...I put too much into this process not to...

What's "2 fats"? If that's two percent of body fat and you don't have a lot to lose, that seems like a nice change in only 21 days.

• Super discouraging... I would't say that I have noticed any change physically, emotionally, sleeping, energy... Did you mean to request "number 1 ideas" in the main forum?

​Thanks! I am determined to figure this out...I put too much into this process not to...

Hi.

No.  Not number 1.  I used a BP term N=1 in which you change one thing, then try it out.  It is a way of experimenting with your plan/diet/workout/supplements  to see which is working and which is road-blocking you.  There are some smart folks on here and I've gotten tons of ideas and learned tricks just from reading what others post.  That's why I love this entire forum. . . we are all working on wellness, and we are all helping each other along.  Some are body builders, some are brain hackers, some are just trying to figure out how to sleep well. . . but everyone has ideas and is willing to jump in to help you hack thru the issue. 

• Hi Ladies,

I've enjoyed reading about your experiences on this protocol and I'd like to share mine with you. I've been bulletproofing pretty accurately on and off for quite a few months now... interval bulletproofing!... off when I gave in to PMS cravings and ate tons of sugar and/or salty carbs and then used Activated Charcoal to attempt a jump in detox the next day.

Other than a few days in the past 6 or so months, I've been great about sticking to a super low toxin, low inflammation green bulletproof diet, and then last month I started supplementing with just the basics and I feel better than ever, but I am taking a lot of pills which is new for me. The longer I've kept up the bulletproofing, the more I've gotten into health-hacking, it's life-changing!

I'm an actress, and I tell all my actor friends how much fat I eat and they just look at me weird. I rave to my friends about switching to this lifestyle, I'm not going to say diet... I was mostly an all organic vegetarian, but now I've cut some of my favorite veggies and beans (and grains! Quinoa and Corn I miss you guys) because apparently they're inflammatory. Eating meat is strange but it tastes delicious. Does anyone have a source on the most low toxin bacon out there?

Does anyone have a BP nut recipe? Sprouted Cashew nut or Amond milk? I switched to coconut milk from my usual almond milk, and stopped having almond butter or any nut butter which I miss... because I was wondering about my Omega 6 level imbalance and if I was carrying extra weight because of high levels? Also I gave up cereal... virtually all sugar except a few of the low toxin BP fruits but not everyday - I used to live on fruit, fruit and yogurt in fact, but it's been 6 months since I last had yogurt! Is there a BP yogurt?? Omg I just thought of that, does it exist? I've had no alcohol for at least 21 days, all bread, chips, all grains except white rice on carb re-feeds ( I LOVE COCONUT RICE). I've taken advantage of fulfilling my sweet tooth with that dark dark chocolate, but I definitely want less and less of it.

When I decided to see if there was any female-specific method to bulletproofing, I caught wind of Skye's book and now today is day 21 of my 1st try on the No Fail Fat Burning protocol and I do miss working out, though I don't feel less fit, I feel pretty fit and on my way to optimum shape, so I have a few questions:

1 - Should I do the 10 day or another full 21 days again? or do the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol to lose this stubborn weight? How often should one do the 21 days AND what do I do on day 22???

Can I eat carbs during the day now? or even just at night but more often than 2x week, after my workouts? Can I eat corn? Popcorn is my absolute favorite snack and I've been missing it like crazy. I'm also a former croissant and sourdough bread addict, but when I started having BP coffee after a week or so, I lost my craving for it.

However, I didn't lose the 10-15lbs I wanted to lose, though I look amazing and I'm very happy with how I look, I still have some fat around my middle, the kind you can suck in and hide with the right fit of pants but not in a bikini, well actually I have a bit of excess fat other places I'd like to eliminate, on my back and arms and my legs... and I understand these few lbs are the most difficult to lose... it may be just 5lbs, it's difficult for me to gauge as a lay-person but my point being, I think I did everything 95-100% according to Skye's book... with the exception of the probiotic, which I'm a bit gun-shy about taking to be honest.

2 - I've read things about people taking probiotic and having a bad reaction - I didn't want to risk it. How do I tell if I need to fix my gut? On a BP podcast I heard that taking 4000mg/day of DHA (it was suggested to take the algae form) for 6 months to heal a "broken" brain. Funny way to put it, right? So how do we know if are gut and our brains are broken? I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew I needed it. I found out I'm anemic, and when I was 10-12 I had a blood test and was anemic then, other than that I haven't had much blood work done. My Dr. prescribed me iron 2x/day for 3 months. It's been a couple weeks on it, is it bulletproof to take iron?

Is the probiotic the missing link to my weight loss? I'm also wondering if I'm Leptin resistant and how to tell? Is there a test?

3- During my 10 day carb depletion phase I didn't have protein in the AM, but I started on day 12 or so having BP Collagen in my coffee 1-2x/day. I like that it's super satisfying, some days I think I don't eat enough calories because the coffees satiate (sate?) me. Would not eating enough calories attribute to me not losing the weight? I haven't counted calories, but sometimes I only get in one big meal, often late in the evening, 8pm. How do I tell if adding the protein is the right move for me?

4 - I miss exercising more often, but I'm holding out to see if the combo in Skye's book does the job. I do boxing interval training and dance usually weekly, sometimes 2x boxing and I may start weapons training next week. I've let up on yoga but I do stretch a lot, and I just bought a rebounder I'm going to start using to mimic the Vibe. Doing all these things isn't too much is it?

5- last one! I discovered coconut flour and have made butter cookies 3 times, they are delicious and filling. I ate them on non-carb re-feed days though in the evening. I didn't go over my 30g carb limit. What do we think about coconut flour?

Thanks everyone! Sticking to this for 21 days is a great feeling!

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to go eat some butter. :smile:

Hey Je Suis Bp-

Please check out this blog post (and the other posts) that may help with some of your questions, esp. about coconut flour. http://nofailfatburningforwomen.blogspot.com/2015/03/q-and-please-welcome-my-all-time.html

You don't have to let up on yoga. Keep on kicking ass (literally with the weapons training).

Keep rocking,

SSJ

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hi Ladies-

Haven't popped on here in ages but hope this finds you all taking the wheel of your health, finding what works for you and reaching all your goals in every facet of your lives.

I get a ton of emails about private coaching. I only do private coaching when I actually have the bandwidth to do so and we are in the same location. I'm very hands on and have made a point this year of not allowing a screen (iphone, laptop, ipad, desktop) to be my main vehicle of human interaction. I also get a bunch of emails with a lot of your concerns and questions but just can't get to them all. We are starting to tackle them on a new FAQ blog. There's quite a bit of a backlog to get through and if you've emailed me, I hope we can answer you soon. There are some of the same questions that pop up frequently and we're clarifying those first.

That being said, as a side project, I've been busy working on a follow up book to No Fail Fat Burning for Women with my colleague, Michelle Burleson. I am really excited as she is one of my go-to's for trying new things... and, frankly, I've never seen someone so willing to be a guinea pig. Scary. But, when it comes to fitness and macronutrient manipulation, I could talk to her all day.

Right now, for the book, she's taking on up to 15 women for daily, one-on-one coaching beginning April 1, 2015 and going for two months through May 31, 2015. Some of the women that are selected for the personal coaching may be featured in the new book. It's only for the truly dedicated but for $500 for two months of personal coaching and training, it's pretty much worth it if youre trying to get in shape for summer... or for your best self. Maybe a little of both ;) You can check out the post about it here: http://nofailfatburningforwomen.blogspot.com/2015/03/kick-fat-in-ass-spring-challenge-got.html

Keep on rocking, ladies!

SSJ

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hello! I don't know that I can answer anything definitively, but two things jump out.

(1) if you have adrenal fatigue, you should consider staying off the coffee/caffeine--you can make a butter/MCT drink with something like holy basil (tulsi) instead that would suit you better 

and

(2) the general wisdom around adrenal issues is that it's better not to go too low carb in that case. So don't eliminate all your safe starches. At least have some pumpkin or sweet potato on the regular.

The greens in your greens shake are all greens that may be more digestible cooked. Dave has it the wrong way round when he talks about oxalates in kale--it's spinach that has the oxalates--but kale/brussels sprouts/broccoli are all brassicas and contain compounds that may affect thyroid function but are deactivated when cooked. (NB I don't know what freezing does in this case.)

The almonds and chia you're using in small quantities, but you might want to try leaving them out and seeing how you feel. I'm eating almonds right now but I didn't for quite a while.

In general, actually, I think it might be useful for you to leave things out and then reintroduce them. Your smoothie has enough ingredients that if, for example, something was causing heartburn, it would be hard to separate out what it is. 

I remember Skye recommending to leave out the lemon from the morning water and having it in the evening, but it's really your call. A tablespoon of lemon is a gram of carb. 

How many carbs per serving of your newgen? I'm suspecting the fruits are in such tiny amounts as to be negligible.

If you tell us a bit more about your situation, we might be able to help re the heartburn. Is it possible you have too little stomach acid? Sometimes when people have too little it's more apt to splash up and cause the sensation of heartburn. In which case, betaine HCl capsules would solve your problem. You can experiment by taking just one. If you get heartburn from it just take a bit of bicarbonate of soda to neutralize. If the HCl helps a bit but not completely, take more.

Hi Ela, thank you so much for your reply. I'm happy to say the heartburn has gone!!! I think my body just had to get used to the high fat content of my diet. I've lost 4lbs already and although I haven't measured my BMI I can see and feel a difference in my waist, legs etc.

I dropped the caffeine and am now having decaf each morning which has helped the sleeping.

The Newgen has 9.5g of carbs but I feel they are good carbs so happy to leave them in, i'm trying to keep to around the 30g mark for the day and managing it so quite happy. 

Energy levels have been really good so my adrenal seems to be happy  :-P Just not sure if I've hit ketosis yet as my bloods  (Glucose not Keto) are around the 4.3 - 5.3mmol mark. Do you know roughly how long it can take for your body to switch?

Anyway keep up the good fight and thanks for all your support

•  I am going to check out the book!

I am real worried about the exercise though....My "ideal" week would be boot camp twice (HIIT) and three times running...I am training for a half marathon..so runs are currently about 60min long...in the next few weeks they will be 120min. Will I still be able to continue my training? a Half marathon has been a goal of mine for SUCH a long time that I finally feel like I could get there!!!

I *could* drop down to two runs a week.........

• Hi there!  I used to be a marathoner.  If I were you, I'd keep the training schedule for the race the same.  You may want to skip the first 10 days of this diet, though, and go straight into the next part bc you need the food and nutrition.  Also check out the BP forum for athletics.  There is a ton of advice there about training schedules and how to eat with them. 

• Thanks Linda!

As I already am low carb I could easily skip the first ten days anyway...but I think I might do them and see how I go...if I fatigue to much then I will add in the safe carbs (I have emailed SSJ aswell to see what she thinks). I am just worried about cortisol levels etc with that much training....and I do wonder if that is why my fat loss/weightloss has stalled recently....."over-exercising"....

THis is such a great forum!

0700 butter-coconut oil coffee mmmMMMmmm (iherb don't stock the MCT oil that I normally buy so I am a bit sad about that...luckily I have 4kg of coconut oil at home!)

• edited April 2015

Thanks Linda!

As I already am low carb I could easily skip the first ten days anyway...but I think I might do them and see how I go...if I fatigue to much then I will add in the safe carbs (I have emailed SSJ aswell to see what she thinks). I am just worried about cortisol levels etc with that much training....and I do wonder if that is why my fat loss/weightloss has stalled recently....."over-exercising"....

THis is such a great forum!

0700 butter-coconut oil coffee mmmMMMmmm (iherb don't stock the MCT oil that I normally buy so I am a bit sad about that...luckily I have 4kg of coconut oil at home!)

You may want to check out the reader question answered here: http://nofailfatburningforwomen.blogspot.com/2015/03/q-and-please-welcome-my-all-time.htmlabout distance running. Scroll down the blog. The woman here, though, I believe is running shorter distances than a half marathon. I'll look for your email (we get a ton of them a day). I'm not exactly sure what your goals are but if it's fat loss, steady state endurance training for women is not going to help your fat loss much - if at all - with this protocol. in the long run (no pun intended) you'll be setting yourself up to gain body fat and muscle waste without a solid nutrition and recovery protocol. There are hacks around it to mitigate the damage you're doing but you're still, literally, running yourself into the ground. I'd completely skip the ten day carb depletion and just eat as clean as you can since you're putting your thyroid through hell. Just my .02. Listen to your body.

Best to you on your journey. Take good care of all the parts of yourself -- not just physical.

SSJ

PS. Here's further reading:

• Baylor LS, Hackney AC. Resting thyroid and leptin hormone changes in women following intense, prolonged exercise training. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003 Jan;88(4-5):480-4.
    • Boyden TW, Pamenter RW, Rotkis TC, Stanforth P, Wilmore JH. Thyroidal changes associated with endurance training in women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1984 Jun;16(3):243-6.
    • Hohtari H, Pakarinen A, Kauppila A. Serum concentrations of thyrotropin, thyroxine, triiodothyronine and thyroxine binding globulin in female endurance runners and joggers. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1987 Jan;114(1):41-6.
    • Rosolowska-Huszcz D. The effect of exercise training intensity on thyroid activity at rest. J Physiol Pharmacol. 1998 Sep;49(3):457-66.
    • Loucks AB, Callister R. Induction and prevention of low-T3 syndrome in exercising women. Am J Physiol. 1993 May;264(5 Pt 2):R924-30.
    • Tremblay A, Poehlman ET, Despres JP, Theriault G, Danforth E, Bouchard C. Endurance training with constant energy intake in identical twins: changes over time in energy expenditure and related hormones. Metabolism. 1997 May;46(5):499-503.

• Thanks for your reply. Since posting, I have decided that I was just being deranged with that much exercise haha! And as I enjoy the bootcamp sessions SO MUCH more than the long slog running I am going to cut right down to two bootcamps a week (tues and thur) and MAYBE...if I fancy....a long easy run on the weekends.........maybe... hehe.

Bootcamp is always in the early morning....so I read the your blog and saw someone else does morning workouts and they have their carb/protein straight after and then fast until 2pmish...this would work for me...I will give that a go.. I do REALLY want to drop a few for % of fat!!

Thanks for the help. I hope I am on the right path now!

• :(

I am SO SO disheartened. Today I weighed myself for the first time in about 4 weeks. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW all that stuff about scales not showing the true body composition etc etc......BUT STILL...I have GAINED 5kg. PLEASE tell me this is muscle! haha. My measurements are not that different....much the same with a couple of inceases in abdomen (?bloat) and around my bum....

I wouldn't be to concerned if it was only a couple of kg...but 5! that's like what?? 10 pounds!! and I have been a "good" girl.

BIG FAT SIGH.

Ohwell. Onward, Upward. Enjoying my BPCoffee and water!

Have a great day/night.

I am SO SO disheartened. Today I weighed myself for the first time in about 4 weeks. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW all that stuff about scales not showing the true body composition etc etc......BUT STILL...I have GAINED 5kg. PLEASE tell me this is muscle! haha. My measurements are not that different....much the same with a couple of inceases in abdomen (?bloat) and around my bum....

I wouldn't be to concerned if it was only a couple of kg...but 5! that's like what?? 10 pounds!! and I have been a "good" girl.

BIG FAT SIGH.

Have a great day/night.

Hey there NZ. Can you resend your question with the subject line: NZ from Bulletproof Forum. There's just a ton of emails, a lot go to spam and without knowing your real name  it's going to be hard for me to find it.(I don't suggest posting it on a public forum). It is frustrating when you're doing the best to follow things strictly but I wasn't joking when I said steady state will F you up in the fat gain department. The protocol and that type of exercise do not mix. There's a reason every single bit of it is laid out the way it is.

You may also want to follow the ladies who are doing the Kick Fat in the Ass Spring Challenge with my colleague, Michelle. Their protocols are tweaked based on the upcoming follow up book and further research.

Their fat loss journeys are detailed on the blog here: http://www.nofailfatburningforwomen.com. Here's a before and after of one of our participants (her before is in the pink top on the bottom). Her measurements as of last week were a 10lb and 23inch loss. Stay the course and best of luck.

Kim%2BBefore%2BAfter.jpg

BIG FAT SIGH.

Have a great day/night.

Or was that you who wrote in to the comments as K8? If so, you were doing the protocol completely backwards (as Michelle said to you there it was basically the protocol inside out--- to create pure fat gain). I highly recommend re-reading the book and understanding macronutrient timing, especially with carbs. They have the power to strip fat or pack it on depending on how you use them. I think it'd be worthwhile to follow what some of the ladies (of different fitness and goals) are doing for the Fat Loss Challenge. Very best to you. Don't ever quit on yourself. You will get there.  Head high.

• Hi Skye

Yeh, that was me! I was still doing my carb-depletion when I messaged you and Michelle....so THANKFULLY I have not done the program "backwards" as you ladies set me straight before I started with refeeding etc!! Whew!

I DID however, have some carbs during this time....so now I am day 5 into my NEW carb-depletion (do-overs are not always fun haha but its my fault....and Easters...)

So my first refeed day will be this coming Friday. I plan on going along to my bootcamps (which are tababta, HIIT) twice a week in the morning and have JUST bought a kettlebell and intend on doing 2x week afternoon (3pm-6pm) HIIT...mix of using the bell and probably sprints as suggested in your book.

I hope this is correct!!!

I do have one question.....if you had limited funds but could definitely afford at least ONE of your recommended supplements....which one would it be?

Thanks in advance!!

ps. Am following your challenge ladies closely! Loving the updates!

• Hey there NZ. Can you resend your question with the subject line: NZ from Bulletproof Forum. There's just a ton of emails, a lot go to spam and without knowing your real name  it's going to be hard for me to find it.(I don't suggest posting it on a public forum). It is frustrating when you're doing the best to follow things strictly but I wasn't joking when I said steady state will F you up in the fat gain department. The protocol and that type of exercise do not mix. There's a reason every single bit of it is laid out the way it is.

You may also want to follow the ladies who are doing the Kick Fat in the Ass Spring Challenge with my colleague, Michelle. Their protocols are tweaked based on the upcoming follow up book and further research.

Their fat loss journeys are detailed on the blog here: http://www.nofailfatburningforwomen.com. Here's a before and after of one of our participants (her before is in the pink top on the bottom). Her measurements as of last week were a 10lb and 23inch loss. Stay the course and best of luck.

Kim%2BBefore%2BAfter.jpg

SKYE - I'm loving the blog.  WAY TO GO, LADIES!!!   I need to pull in the guidelines for myself, and the info and inspiration is awesome.  Thank you for doing this!!! 

• Hi everyone! I'm new here and have been following the bulletproof diet for 6 weeks. I read the No fail fat burning for women and have followed that for 4 weeks. I'm just wondering if working out every 4 days is really enough?

I'm not overweight but I need to shed fat and gain muscle, I have lovehandles and a lot of fat on my tummy. My goal is to get visible abs, can I get there with so little exercise? I would also love to be able to do a chin-up (and even a real pull-up). Can I train only that in addition to the high intensity workouts twice a week? I do a lot of low level exercise like walking too.

I'd like to add that I feel so good on this diet! I can already see that my tummy is flatter than before. But the biggest change is in the cravings, they are GONE! I have followed a low carb lifestyle for many years but I had "cheatdays" quite often. Now I don't need any cheatdays! I feel so much less bloated when I quit dairy (exept butter), I used to love cheese but it made me bloated....
  • I'm no expert but I see no reason you can't train on doing pull-ups or chin-ups in addition to your HIIT.  I love that the BP lifestyle does not require one to spend a lot of time in the gym.  Eating right and doing exercising correctly is such a win for me. 

• Hi Skye (or anyone else who might know the answer to this),

I've read Skye's book and started Day 1 of carb depletion today after a couple months of easing into Bulletproof (this is the first time I'm being strict about the carbs, though). I'm interested in trying to follow the exercise regimen, too, but have a couple of restrictions related to a genetic medical condition:

1. I'm currently battling acute leg and lower back injuries, so my ability to hit my workouts on exactly the right day might be compromised by recovery, doctor-ordered rest, and/or pain level.

2. I'm restricted to only barre classes by my injuries.

Do you think this program can still work with barre? Some of the "bootcamp barre" classes at my studio use a pseudo-HIIT style cardio approach, but it won't be exactly the same. Is it better than nothing? Or should I do barre more frequently to get the same effect?

Thanks for any help.

• Wow!  A barre class???  I'd love to do that.  It is such a great workout.  Lucky you to have one nearby!!!  If it were me, I'd just keep doing barre.  And barre Bootcamp???   Hey, I'm drooling here!  So can I come live by you, neighbor???  ;)

• edited April 2015

It is a really great class. No impact, tons of detailed technique training, and I see the instructors constantly trying to learn more, which makes me confident.

I have another question: does anyone know if it's okay, under Skye's program to squeeze some fresh lemon juice into our water? I'm only on day 2 and I did it this morning without even thinking. It's a fruit, but does lemon even have any sugar?

Edited to add: I found a partial answer to my question, posted just last night, in fact, by ela:

"I remember Skye recommending to leave out the lemon from the morning water and having it in the evening, but it's really your call. A tablespoon of lemon is a gram of carb. 

How many carbs per serving of your newgen? I'm suspecting the fruits are in such tiny amounts as to be negligible."

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12851-no-fail-fat-burning-for-women/page-32#entry118146

So, I think my plan is going to be to continue barre when I'm over my acute injuries and doc and PT say it's okay, and to dump my lemon water and start over with plain water (though I do need to add salt for hypotension). If anyone has other thoughts, though, I'm still interested!

• I think eating carefully is one thing. we have to eat better foods and timing of these meals should stay consistent. this is what i hear from my friend's personal trainer. I am slightly chubbier i must say. I haven't really set a point to carry out this regime

• Okay, ladies. I'm on day 4 and I just ate a Warrior Bar (https://www.onnit.com/warrior-bar/?gclid=CjwKEAjwgcipBRDgxK_3ztrBty8SJACRuv4d6XXSQsnPtyyYNnQi-FkKLXpy0hFJMp-RH4QaRJG1fxoCxTjw_wcB), which has added sugar and cranberries. I didn't realize, stupidly assumed it was just meat, and didn't read the ingreadients. So I accidentally ate 14g of carbs. My own dumb fault. 

So, do you think I need to start over day 1 tomorrow? I probably messed up the 10-day carb depletion, huh? If it's at all helpful in figuring out the answer, I'm not obese, not even overweight. I'd like to lose some body fat and tighten up, but if I lost more than 10 lbs doing this, it would be too much (not too much to avoid being underweight, but too much for my preference). Do you think if we have less fat to lose there's any wiggle room? Or should I just suck it up and start over? 

• I'm thinking you'll be okay if you stayed 30 or less carb grams for the day.

• Okay, ladies. I'm on day 4 and I just ate a Warrior Bar (https://www.onnit.com/warrior-bar/?gclid=CjwKEAjwgcipBRDgxK_3ztrBty8SJACRuv4d6XXSQsnPtyyYNnQi-FkKLXpy0hFJMp-RH4QaRJG1fxoCxTjw_wcB), which has added sugar and cranberries. I didn't realize, stupidly assumed it was just meat, and didn't read the ingreadients. So I accidentally ate 14g of carbs. My own dumb fault. 

So, do you think I need to start over day 1 tomorrow? I probably messed up the 10-day carb depletion, huh? If it's at all helpful in figuring out the answer, I'm not obese, not even overweight. I'd like to lose some body fat and tighten up, but if I lost more than 10 lbs doing this, it would be too much (not too much to avoid being underweight, but too much for my preference). Do you think if we have less fat to lose there's any wiggle room? Or should I just suck it up and start over?

What was your total net carbs for the day?  If you stayed within your set amount, you're okay.  If you aren't, Skye says to start over.  During my 10 day carb depletion, I tracked everything I ate and did the macro amount on it so I stayed within those ranges.  It is only for 10 days so it is very doable.  Staying away from everything processed (Even healthy bars like that) is the best way to go.

• edited April 2015

What was your total net carbs for the day?  If you stayed within your set amount, you're okay.  If you aren't, Skye says to start over.  During my 10 day carb depletion, I tracked everything I ate and did the macro amount on it so I stayed within those ranges.  It is only for 10 days so it is very doable.  Staying away from everything processed (Even healthy bars like that) is the best way to go.

Oh, wow....I'm thinking I maybe missed that part. I thought we were NOT supposed to track macros and just eat whatever veggies, proteins, and fats from the lists... Maybe I'm mixing that up with Dave's general BP protocol? I'll review Skye's book again, because now that I'm reading this, I remember her saying something about 30g/day carbs. Is that the general figure or is there a way of personalizing it to you? Shoot. Just when you think you've got it down!

Edited to add: Okay, poring over Skye's book again... I have the paper copy, but wish I'd bought the kindle and could use some sort of search function for "30"!

P. 35, under the heading "Getting Started: 10-Day Carb Depletion", she mentions that if you go over 30g carbs, you need to start over.

But here's where I'm confused, and maybe I just need to email her, but I know she (understandably) hates getting emails with questions that are covered in the book, so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I bug her:

Veggies have carbs. Entering all my food onto LoseIt.com to figure out macros, I get that I had 92g carbs yesterday, but only 14 of those were from the "illegal" food. There are 17.1g in an avocado. 24g in all the kale I ate. So it wasn't the Warrior bar that put me over 30g, I was already over 30g just in veggies and avocados. I ended up at 65.3% fat, 18.6% carbs, and 16.1% protein. 

Do I need to cut back on veggies? That...seems...like a dubious conclusion. Anyone with any thoughts? Why am I so confused?