No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• I am about to begin week 4 of intermittent fasting....I have not eaten before 1:00 for three weeks.  I am sticking as closely to the protocol as I can....no processed foods, no grains, no breads, no alcohol, and no dairy except a little bit of cheese or full fat cream.  I have gained weight and put on a few percentages of body fat.  I am so discouraged.  I am 50 years old and have yo-yo dieted my entire life....since turning 40 I have struggled terribly to lose weight and the only way I have ever been successful is to count calories and work out, staying at least 1200 or less.  I was so excited when I found this book because I thought I had finally found a way to eat and exercise that would fit my busy lifestyle.  I have no problem staying satiated with butter coffee until time to break my fast after 1pm.....and I can follow the eating plan pretty easily without a lot of cravings or hunger.  

Any ideas for me?  I realized after my first 10 day carb depletion that I was not counting carbs correctly because the veggies I was stuffing with had carbs so I am being much more diligent.    I am drinking a gallon of water a day and taking most of the supplements.   I weigh around 137 right now with 33% body fat.....really flabby and lots of cellulite.  I truly want more than anything to tone up and be in better shape but I just can't find a way to get it done!  

HELP!  

• Oh, wow....I'm thinking I maybe missed that part. I thought we were NOT supposed to track macros and just eat whatever veggies, proteins, and fats from the lists... Maybe I'm mixing that up with Dave's general BP protocol? I'll review Skye's book again, because now that I'm reading this, I remember her saying something about 30g/day carbs. Is that the general figure or is there a way of personalizing it to you? Shoot. Just when you think you've got it down!

Edited to add: Okay, poring over Skye's book again... I have the paper copy, but wish I'd bought the kindle and could use some sort of search function for "30"!

P. 35, under the heading "Getting Started: 10-Day Carb Depletion", she mentions that if you go over 30g carbs, you need to start over.

But here's where I'm confused, and maybe I just need to email her, but I know she (understandably) hates getting emails with questions that are covered in the book, so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I bug her:

Veggies have carbs. Entering all my food onto LoseIt.com to figure out macros, I get that I had 92g carbs yesterday, but only 14 of those were from the "illegal" food. There are 17.1g in an avocado. 24g in all the kale I ate. So it wasn't the Warrior bar that put me over 30g, I was already over 30g just in veggies and avocados. I ended up at 65.3% fat, 18.6% carbs, and 16.1% protein. 

Do I need to cut back on veggies? That...seems...like a dubious conclusion. Anyone with any thoughts? Why am I so confused? 

You need to look at net carbs.  The carbs minus the fiber.   A cup of kale is roughtly 7 grams of carbs.  It has roughtly 1.5 grams of fiber.  So kale is 5.5 net carbs.  Does that make sense.  24 grams of kale would equal 3.5 cups of raw kale.  Is that what you ate?

Avocado is 17 carbs.  Fiber in one avocado is 13.5 grams of carbs.  17 - 13.5 - 3.5   Avocados are pretty safe foods with a net carb 3.5 net carbs.  See how to do it?

• I am about to begin week 4 of intermittent fasting....I have not eaten before 1:00 for three weeks.  I am sticking as closely to the protocol as I can....no processed foods, no grains, no breads, no alcohol, and no dairy except a little bit of cheese or full fat cream.  I have gained weight and put on a few percentages of body fat.  I am so discouraged.  I am 50 years old and have yo-yo dieted my entire life....since turning 40 I have struggled terribly to lose weight and the only way I have ever been successful is to count calories and work out, staying at least 1200 or less.  I was so excited when I found this book because I thought I had finally found a way to eat and exercise that would fit my busy lifestyle.  I have no problem staying satiated with butter coffee until time to break my fast after 1pm.....and I can follow the eating plan pretty easily without a lot of cravings or hunger.  

Any ideas for me?  I realized after my first 10 day carb depletion that I was not counting carbs correctly because the veggies I was stuffing with had carbs so I am being much more diligent.    I am drinking a gallon of water a day and taking most of the supplements.   I weigh around 137 right now with 33% body fat.....really flabby and lots of cellulite.  I truly want more than anything to tone up and be in better shape but I just can't find a way to get it done!  

HELP!  

Hi Trava - that would be discouraging.  I'm sorry you are struggling.  What are you doing for exercise?  Too much? Too little?  Why the cream and cheese? 

You may want to watch this podcast.  This is the one that got my mom over that beginning hump.  She followed BP AND eliminated the foods recommended by JJ Virgin.  Sometimes we have to tweak here and there to get it all set right for us.  If I were you, I'd dump that cream and cheese ASAP.  This will tell you why.   

I, too, can easily go with the BP coffee until time to break fast, and don't have cravings anymore either.  I'm 55 and doing pretty well on the BPD.  Not much weight loss yet, but feeling much much better.

• Thank you Linda!  I am working out every four days, but I admit I can do more!  I am going to stick with this.  Thanks so much for the video...it did help me understand a lot more!  :)

• You need to look at net carbs.  The carbs minus the fiber.   A cup of kale is roughtly 7 grams of carbs.  It has roughtly 1.5 grams of fiber.  So kale is 5.5 net carbs.  Does that make sense.  24 grams of kale would equal 3.5 cups of raw kale.  Is that what you ate?

Avocado is 17 carbs.  Fiber in one avocado is 13.5 grams of carbs.  17 - 13.5 - 3.5   Avocados are pretty safe foods with a net carb 3.5 net carbs.  See how to do it?

Thank you so much, Linda! That makes sense and is exactly what I was confused about. Much appreciated.

Also, I know we're not supposed to weight, but it had been a while, and since I actually counted macros yesterday I was FEELING the carb cravings last night more than I had been. (My journey has required a LOT of learning the difference between hunger and appetite/cravings...I think I'm hungry when I'm thirsty, when I'm tired, when I'm bored, when I'm avoiding something else I don't really want to do, when watching tv, etc.) So, this morning, I weighed (I don't have a body fat measurement tool yet), and found that I've dropped 7 lbs! So, even with doing the carbs a little higher than I should, I'm clearly making progress! Of course, it could be some muscle mass loss, too, as I'm recovering from an injury, but the mirror and clothes tell me there's definitely been some fat loss. So, that's given me the motivation to stick with it!

Thanks again, Linda.

HELP!  

Trava, I'm a beginner, too, so I'm not sure I have any useful advice, just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're struggling. I like Linda's suggestion to try dropping the dairy altogether. Maybe at least for a little while? Until you start seeing some results?

Are you having any of the problems I mentioned above...eating when you're not truly hungry, but just think you are?

Also, it sounds like you had the same carb confusion that I did. I was loading up on super healthy veggie carbs without really realizing how that was affecting the goal we're trying to achieve. 

Sounds like you're working out the recommended amount. What kinds of workouts are you doing? Maybe you're training too hard?

• Hi all.  I just wanted to share this wonderful cheat sheet that Greer made for us.  I hope it helps keep it simple. http://greertaylor.net/foodinfo/

I read in more recent posts from Skye that the infographic is not 100% correct...I do like to reference it for quickies...that being said, can anyone tell me what's incorrect about it? I will go through it in more detail when I have time but right now I was just curious...

• edited April 2015

sjc99 - Thanks for your encouragement!  I truly am a beginner to this plan, but a yoyo dieter for most of my life and ready to get off!   If you don't mind my asking a silly question, what are macros?  I do understand now how to count carbs (thanks Linda!).  I am doing kettlebells, some weight training (would love to hear some suggestions for beginner weight training plans), and the sprints/tabata workouts in the book.  Thanks also to Greer for the great cheat sheet!  I love it!  

Oh also, I ordered a blood ketosis monitor.  What am I looking for as far as ketosis?  I just want to make sure that I am getting into ketosis as expected...

• sjc99 - Thanks for your encouragement!  I truly am a beginner to this plan, but a yoyo dieter for most of my life and ready to get off!   If you don't mind my asking a silly question, what are macros?  I do understand now how to count carbs (thanks Linda!).  I am doing kettlebells, some weight training (would love to hear some suggestions for beginner weight training plans), and the sprints/tabata workouts in the book.  Thanks also to Greer for the great cheat sheet!  I love it!  

Oh also, I ordered a blood ketosis monitor.  What am I looking for as far as ketosis?  I just want to make sure that I am getting into ketosis as expected...

Trava, macro is short for macronutrients. Those are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. So when people refer to their macros, they're usually talking about trying to achieve a certain ratio. For example, we following Skye's protocol are going for low carb, high fat. 

My mention of macros was referring to the fact that I'd missed Skye's advice to not exceed 30g of carbs during the 10-day carb depletion phase. I thought I had free reign on veggies, which I think was me carrying over Dave's advice. When I took a day to actually track my carb/protein/fat ratios, I found that I still tend a little low on proteins and high on carbs when left to my own devices. But then, per Linda's advice, I was able to adjust that further to make sure I was counting net carbs, not total carbs, because that's the measurement we want for our ketosis purposes.

Does that make more sense?

It's a journey. I'll tell you what - even if the scale doesn't budge another ounce for me the rest of this 21-day period, I'm SURE I will eventually lose more fat because I'm simply NOT thinking about food as much on this plan. I'm spending a fair amount of time thinking logistically (what meat do I need to defrost, what veggies do I need to prep, where can I squeeze in some extra fat, am I actually hungry or just thirsty), but I'm spending NO time thinking, "Oh my god, please tell me someone has a donut, how many of these cookies can I shove in my mouth before someone sees me, all I want is to eat some peanut butter and chocolate chips, dear god how is it not lunchtime yet, I'm gonna eat my own arm." The freedom from that obsession is overwhelming. And if I'm not binging on that stuff, there's no way I could NOT continue to lose some fat. 

No wonder people talk about being clearer-headed on these diet plans! The mental energy I've freed up from my sugar addiction alone is so liberating!

• sjc99 - Thanks for your encouragement!  I truly am a beginner to this plan, but a yoyo dieter for most of my life and ready to get off!   If you don't mind my asking a silly question, what are macros?  I do understand now how to count carbs (thanks Linda!).  I am doing kettlebells, some weight training (would love to hear some suggestions for beginner weight training plans), and the sprints/tabata workouts in the book.  Thanks also to Greer for the great cheat sheet!  I love it!  

And Trava, I have a fair amount of experience weight-training (not professionally, but I was a DI rower in college and have had a lifelong interest in fitness - I hold no certifications for training others, though), and my biggest advice would be to go slowly at first. I'm sure you know you can easily hurt yourself seriously if you try to do too much too fast. Slow and steady progress wins the race.

Focus on core strength first - abs and butt primarily. Those are your stabilizing muscles so will protect you from injury when you start getting heavier into arms and legs. 

I've not done kettlebell because of some activity restrictions I have related to a medical condition, but I've always thought it looked like an excellent way to do exactly what I'm talking about. If your budget will allow, I would HIGHLY recommend you attend a class or even private lessons (just a handful would probably set you up nicely) to get the basics down safely. The thing about weight-training is that it cannot be overstated that it is ALL about form. It is mind-blowingly easy to have the slightest inaccuracy in your form make your exercise completely ineffective. 

Just some things to think about, if you think they might be helpful! Best of luck!

• scj99 ~ THANKS SO MUCH for taking time to try to help me!  I feel much better as well and I enjoy the food that I can eat!  I am feeling encouraged!  :)

• I bought the book today and I'm so excited to be starting this ... Love the book... I'm a little scared about the exercise as I have ME but will give it my best shot Xx
  • Loving all this inspiration and good energy coming from all of you!  It makes me smile when people start feeling good stuff from eating the right things.  YAY for us!!!

• SKYE - I'm loving the blog.  WAY TO GO, LADIES!!!   I need to pull in the guidelines for myself, and the info and inspiration is awesome.  Thank you for doing this!!! 

Hey Linda-

Thanks so much! These ladies are INCREDIBLE! Tomorrow afternoon we're going to update with measurements and their journals. The strength and fitness gains they've made in the past three weeks has been so inspiring. Thanks for the shout out. :)

SSJ

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• edited April 2015

Trava, macro is short for macronutrients. Those are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. So when people refer to their macros, they're usually talking about trying to achieve a certain ratio. For example, we following Skye's protocol are going for low carb, high fat. 

My mention of macros was referring to the fact that I'd missed Skye's advice to not exceed 30g of carbs during the 10-day carb depletion phase. I thought I had free reign on veggies, which I think was me carrying over Dave's advice. When I took a day to actually track my carb/protein/fat ratios, I found that I still tend a little low on proteins and high on carbs when left to my own devices. But then, per Linda's advice, I was able to adjust that further to make sure I was counting net carbs, not total carbs, because that's the measurement we want for our ketosis purposes.

Does that make more sense?

It's a journey. I'll tell you what - even if the scale doesn't budge another ounce for me the rest of this 21-day period, I'm SURE I will eventually lose more fat because I'm simply NOT thinking about food as much on this plan. I'm spending a fair amount of time thinking logistically (what meat do I need to defrost, what veggies do I need to prep, where can I squeeze in some extra fat, am I actually hungry or just thirsty), but I'm spending NO time thinking, "Oh my god, please tell me someone has a donut, how many of these cookies can I shove in my mouth before someone sees me, all I want is to eat some peanut butter and chocolate chips, dear god how is it not lunchtime yet, I'm gonna eat my own arm." The freedom from that obsession is overwhelming. And if I'm not binging on that stuff, there's no way I could NOT continue to lose some fat. 

No wonder people talk about being clearer-headed on these diet plans! The mental energy I've freed up from my sugar addiction alone is so liberating!

You need to come work for us ;) There is going to be some good info re: macros in tomorrow's fat loss journey update. I never want the protocol to be about counting anything but what Michelle is doing with the fat loss challenge ladies is having them count (mostly carbs) so that going forward they can eyeball foods and have a good idea of their net carb value. You can read the blog here. All of your support, sharing, etc is greatly appreciated. Let's create a world full of strong, healthy women of all ages and backgrounds!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hi everyone! I'm new here and have been following the bulletproof diet for 6 weeks. I read the No fail fat burning for women and have followed that for 4 weeks. I'm just wondering if working out every 4 days is really enough?

I'm not overweight but I need to shed fat and gain muscle, I have lovehandles and a lot of fat on my tummy. My goal is to get visible abs, can I get there with so little exercise? I would also love to be able to do a chin-up (and even a real pull-up). Can I train only that in addition to the high intensity workouts twice a week? I do a lot of low level exercise like walking too.

I'd like to add that I feel so good on this diet! I can already see that my tummy is flatter than before. But the biggest change is in the cravings, they are GONE! I have followed a low carb lifestyle for many years but I had "cheatdays" quite often. Now I don't need any cheatdays! I feel so much less bloated when I quit dairy (exept butter), I used to love cheese but it made me bloated....

If you want to get ripped quickly, check out our guest blogpost by Joey Wolfe here: http://www.nofailfatburningforwomen.com/2015/04/pro-athlete-strength-coach-joey-wolfe.html

You got this!

• How is every-one going?

I am up to day 19 (including the 10 day carb deplete). Sadly. Not a single change here. I do feel stronger so am guessing I have strengthened/grown some muscle. But as far as cms/inches lost, none...infact my arms and thighs are bigger! ha go figure. But they are muscular....so at least they don't wobble.....

I will stick with this, as it may be a bit longer until I see results. I have emailed Joey Wolfe (the guy who has guest posted on the blog) so hopefully he might be able to help my activity/exercise.

I also have been in touch with a nutritionist (Skye if you are reading this I managed to find someone who prescribes to the HFLC!! amazing!!)

Where are the rest of you at?

• Hey Linda-

Thanks so much! These ladies are INCREDIBLE! Tomorrow afternoon we're going to update with measurements and their journals. The strength and fitness gains they've made in the past three weeks has been so inspiring. Thanks for the shout out. :)

SSJ

I'm getting e-mail updates from the blog and loved the latest update about the bride.  So many valuable tips and inspiration.

• If you want to get ripped quickly, check out our guest blogpost by Joey Wolfe here: http://www.nofailfatburningforwomen.com/2015/04/pro-athlete-strength-coach-joey-wolfe.html

You got this!

Thank you for answering! I was wondering if Joey's program can be done with body weight exercises? Like squats and push-ups? I can't get to gym at the moment but I do have equipment at home like kettlebells and a pull-up-bar.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

just reading some of the nffbfw blog...& i see mentions of a bedtime/evening cocktail (to aid sleep i presume). 

anyone care to post what it consists of.

i know/think it's in the book...but being a bloke, did not really want to fork out for the book, just out of curiosity over one thing.

...or pm me it on the quiet ;) 

cheers

fake it till you make it

• just reading some of the nffbfw blog...& i see mentions of a bedtime/evening cocktail (to aid sleep i presume). 

anyone care to post what it consists of.

i know/think it's in the book...but being a bloke, did not really want to fork out for the book, just out of curiosity over one thing.

...or pm me it on the quiet ;)

cheers

Did you get your answer yet???

It has something to do with warm apple cider vinegar.  I cannot find the recipe or use it.  However in Dave's most recent podcast he mentions using magnesium, potassium and MCT at bedtime to aid in sleeping and healing.  The brain does a lot of its work while we are sleeping and it aids the brain somehow.  In the book it says to take these same thing AND collagen protein.   I cannot find the cocktail recipe. 

edited May 2015

Did you get your answer yet???

It has something to do with warm apple cider vinegar. I cannot find the recipe or use it.

I cannot find the cocktail recipe.

Nope Linda.

I was actually just contemplating buying the kindle edition, & doing a search for cocktail. Now I'm not so sure.

Can anyone confirm that it is in the book & that a search for the word cocktail would find it. Thx

fake it till you make it

• Hi Daz ,

I just did the search for both "cocktail"l  and  "warm apple cider vinegar" , the book did not give me any recipee for the night cap.

Hi Linda  your posts are very encouraging

Siri

Hi Daz ,

I just did the search for both "cocktail"l  and  "warm apple cider vinegar" , the book did not give me any recipee for the night cap.

The plot thickens...

If you do a google for;  cocktail site:nofailfatburningforwomen.com 

you will get multiple references to it as being in the book.  

Michelle Burleson who wrote this post; nofailfatburningforwomen.com/2015/03/lost-7lbs-in-10-days-skipping-carb-re-feed...

says in the comments of that post;

"Do the pm sleep/recovery hack and cocktail on page 71."

fake it till you make it

•  I went to the page and here is what it says

Drink a cup of 1-2 tbsp. upgraded bulletproof collagen protein , 1 tbsp. MCT OIL 80z of warm water

Take up to 400mg magnesium  with 200 mg potassium

No cocktail recipe :)

•  Hello  Everyone & skye

I have a lot  to lose :eek: well  figuratively, its not for looking good but to feel good and to have energy  to run and play with my precious 3 yr old. I bought the book  and am starting today , couple of questions

1.  Instead of soil based probiotics  can I have good quality  of Kefir  brewed at home  with no additives

2.  I  am taking MCT  oil in capsules  but it is giving me the run to the loo very badly so I am taking it slowly instead of 3  I am taking just 1  at a time

More questions to follow.....

edited May 2015

I went to the page and here is what it says

Drink a cup of 1-2 tbsp. upgraded bulletproof collagen protein , 1 tbsp. MCT OIL 80z of warm water

Take up to 400mg magnesium with 200 mg potassium

No cocktail recipe :)

Thanks Siri.

I guess they do not use the word cocktail in the book then (just on the web site)

fake it till you make it

• I miss flavouring like soy sauce, can we have Bragg's Liquid Amino Spray?

• Here's what I do:

stevia to taste

1tbsp collagen hydrolysate

dash of cinnamon

splash of apple cider vinegar

mix into warm water & enjoy :mrgreen:  

•  

I miss flavouring like soy sauce, can we have Bragg's Liquid Amino Spray?

No, look for this:

http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html