1tbsp collagen hydrolysate

dash of cinnamon

splash of apple cider vinegar

mix into warm water & enjoy :mrgreen:  

not keen on Stevia or any other sweeteners sorry :( 

• Perfect! 

Thank you so much x

•  I went to the page and here is what it says

Drink a cup of 1-2 tbsp. upgraded bulletproof collagen protein , 1 tbsp. MCT OIL 80z of warm water

Take up to 400mg magnesium  with 200 mg potassium

No cocktail recipe :)

Oh, I'm at work and my book is at home, but I KNOW it's in there! I made it once, but the vinegar seems to give me reflux. :/

I'll try to remember to look it up tonight for you!

• I did a search of the Kindle version, looking for "vinegar." A cocktail recipe is not found. I do know from a different forum that there is a "Fat Burning Cocktail" that is apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper.

• THIS is from Skye's website http://www.nofailfatburningforwomen.com on the March 1st post:  "Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar   One thing I would suggest to have right before bed is the the drink mentioned on page 71 of the book.  I would add to that drink a splash of Bragg's raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and some stevia to taste.  It tastes like a hot apple cider to me.  That, combined with the recommended magnesium and potassium, is a power punch to accelerate your fat burn and deepen your rest."

• Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and I have read the whole thread: so much great information here! Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

I have been on a ketogenic diet for over a year, and even though I lost quite a bit of weight and body fat, I have been at a standstill for months now. I bought the book after researching bulletproof (bulletproof coffee has long been a diet staple for me) and after 4 days I'm already feeling so much better!!! Can't believe how much the timing food, supplements and exercise as well as ditching the dairy and nightshades are already doing for me in my overall feeling of wellbeing! Amazing!

Skye, thank you, you have made me believe it is possible to achieve my health goals!

I have a question for all you veterans: what are everyone's thoughts about shirataki noodles? Are they ok to eat? I like adding them to stir fries and using them as a vehicle for my slow cooked beef stew...  :mrgreen:  

xxx Chloe.

•  Hi

The carb demon comes visiting at 3 pm every single day . I am trying so hard  not to  give in, anyway I have to restart my 10 days  as  I nibbled on few corn chips .ughhhhhh

Today  I  will be extra conscious  and get out of my house  before it comes a walk outside  may help tide off the strong cravings

siri

• Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and I have read the whole thread: so much great information here! Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

I have been on a ketogenic diet for over a year, and even though I lost quite a bit of weight and body fat, I have been at a standstill for months now. I bought the book after researching bulletproof (bulletproof coffee has long been a diet staple for me) and after 4 days I'm already feeling so much better!!! Can't believe how much the timing food, supplements and exercise as well as ditching the dairy and nightshades are already doing for me in my overall feeling of wellbeing! Amazing!

Skye, thank you, you have made me believe it is possible to achieve my health goals!

I have a question for all you veterans: what are everyone's thoughts about shirataki noodles? Are they ok to eat? I like adding them to stir fries and using them as a vehicle for my slow cooked beef stew...  :mrgreen:  

xxx Chloe.

Hey Chloe!  Welcome to the club!   I do not eat shirataki noodles.  There are so many other options.  I use zucchini cut into noodles in stir fry dishes. I don't see any harm in the shirataki product, though, other than it is a processed food.  I'm looking forward to see what others have to say, though. 

Glad you found a way to breakthrough your plateau.  As Dave says, any step we make is a good one.  But as I've found, every step I take makes we want to take the  next one and the next one.  Hahaha!  "if don't THIS makes me feel better, what would I feel like if I added or subtracted THAT?"   ~ every.single.day!!!  The pursuit of wellness is AWESOME!

• edited May 2015

I am brand new to all of this and am sucking in all the information I can get and making adjustments here and there. I did a day of RFLP and decided that it wasn't going to work on a daily basis since I have three young children and having dinner together is very important. I couldn't just sit there with my glass of water and supplements every single day (I can get by with it now and again, but not all the time) and watch them eat. Not good for me or them. So, I'm mixing a few things up and taking all sorts of advice. My question mainly is supplements:

I now have all the supplements Dave recommends but not doing RFLP, instead doing intermittent fasting. 

What do I do, when do I take, the following supplements and which ones do I no longer need to take:

D3

Magnesium

Krill Oil

K2

C

BCAAs

Coconut Charcoal

I also use Brain Octane in my coffee. I usually have one in the morning (6:30ish), another around 10. Then I eat avocado and smoked salmon at lunch, and then either coffee for dinner (if my family is doing the Mac N Cheese dinner they love), or a healthy salad in the evening. 

For exercise, I'm taking yoga therapy training so right now it's really just 20 or so minutes a day of restorative yoga (slow, not heated). 

Thoughts? Help? 

• I am brand new to all of this and am sucking in all the information I can get and making adjustments here and there. I did a day of RFLP and decided that it wasn't going to work on a daily basis since I have three young children and having dinner together is very important. I couldn't just sit there with my glass of water and supplements every single day (I can get by with it now and again, but not all the time) and watch them eat. Not good for me or them. So, I'm mixing a few things up and taking all sorts of advice. My question mainly is supplements:

I now have all the supplements Dave recommends but not doing RFLP, instead doing intermittent fasting. 

What do I do, when do I take, the following supplements and which ones do I no longer need to take:

D3 - in the AM

Magnesium - in the PM

Krill Oil - in the AM

K2 - with the D3

C - throughout the day

BCAAs - in the AM

Coconut Charcoal  - with suspicious meals, and mid morning after coffee and before you break your fast - 1/2 way between those two events. 

I also use Brain Octane in my coffee. I usually have one in the morning (6:30ish), another around 10. Then I eat avocado and smoked salmon at lunch, and then either coffee for dinner (if my family is doing the Mac N Cheese dinner they love), or a healthy salad in the evening. 

For exercise, I'm taking yoga therapy training so right now it's really just 20 or so minutes a day of restorative yoga (slow, not heated). 

Thoughts? Help? 

Hey ZC.  I was overwhelmed with all the info at first, too.  I answered your questions to the best of my knowledge in red above. 

I cannot do RFLP either.  I do well with 1 or 2 meals a day depending on the day.  Listening to your body is key, and not being afraid of butter ;)   I frequently will do additional BPC for my mid day meal, then have dinner with my family.  It just works for me.  But other days I will eat lunch and dinner.. . . usually carb refeed days.  At first I was doing everything to a schedule, now I do it by how I feel.

• Hey Chloe!  Welcome to the club!   I do not eat shirataki noodles.  There are so many other options.  I use zucchini cut into noodles in stir fry dishes. I don't see any harm in the shirataki product, though, other than it is a processed food.  I'm looking forward to see what others have to say, though. 

Glad you found a way to breakthrough your plateau.  As Dave says, any step we make is a good one.  But as I've found, every step I take makes we want to take the  next one and the next one.  Hahaha!  "if don't THIS makes me feel better, what would I feel like if I added or subtracted THAT?"   ~ every.single.day!!!  The pursuit of wellness is AWESOME!

Hi Linda! Thanks for you answer. I don't NEED shirataki noodles, so I will not use them for now. I have a spirelli slicer, so I'm well versed in the way of the zucchini noodle, LOL! I can always try the shirataki noodles once I'm closer or at my goal.

I definitely feel so much better already, and I'm interested to see what the carb refeed will do for me in my feeling of wellbeing. I'll keep you all posted in how that goes once I get to that point! xx

• Hey all,

I'm new here and started BPD last Monday and after perusing and posting an introduction, was directed here by Linda.  Thanks Linda!  I have now purchased Skye's book on Kindle and was reading, reading, reading during my lunch hour and am excited to modify and see some good results!  I already feel so much better having been on BP coffee and eating clean. 

For the first two days I felt nauseated from the butter and oil in my coffee (started with only a teasp. of each for three days and then bumped up to 2 tsp each and am ready to go up another tsp of each). Also during the first 4 days, I woke with a headache and would get another one around 3pm, but that has stopped now.  I love my BP coffee and using add a bit of Stevia to it. 

I have been drinking about 3 liters of water daily in addition to the BPD, already feel so much better this week, than I have felt in over a year. 

I need to get my supplements and begin the 10 day carb depletion.  I will be doing more reading after work tonight.  :-P

• edited May 2015

Hey all,

I'm new here and started BPD last Monday and after perusing and posting an introduction, was directed here by Linda.  Thanks Linda!  I have now purchased Skye's book on Kindle and was reading, reading, reading during my lunch hour and am excited to modify and see some good results!  I already feel so much better having been on BP coffee and eating clean. 

For the first two days I felt nauseated from the butter and oil in my coffee (started with only a teasp. of each for three days and then bumped up to 2 tsp each and am ready to go up another tsp of each). Also during the first 4 days, I woke with a headache and would get another one around 3pm, but that has stopped now.  I love my BP coffee and using add a bit of Stevia to it. 

I have been drinking about 3 liters of water daily in addition to the BPD, already feel so much better this week, than I have felt in over a year. 

I need to get my supplements and begin the 10 day carb depletion.  I will be doing more reading after work tonight.  :-P

Hi elizabethann, I'm new here too!

I can recommend adding some good salt (either the Himalayan pink or some celtic sea salt) to help with the headaches. Drink some in your water and salt your food. This should make you feel much better and keep your headaches at bay. Drinking salted bone broth really helps too.

xxx

• Hi elizabethann, I'm new here too!

I can recommend adding some good salt (either the Himalayan pink or some celtic sea salt) to help with the headaches. Drink some in your water and salt your food. This should make you feel much better and keep your headaches at bay. Drinking salted bone broth really helps too.

xxx

Hey ElizabethAnn! 

Yes, I agree with Mimosa's suggestion - just pay attention to how you are feeling as you go when you do this. It sounds like you are drinking a pretty fair amount of water. Water is awesome, but it IS possible to have too much in your system. It's called hyponatremia. 

Dehydration and hyponatremia are opposite sides of the same coin: electrolyte balance. If you have too much electrolytes (best know to most of us as salts) in you system, then you are dehydrated. If you have too much WATER in your system, the balance is still off - it's just off in the other direction. 

The symptoms of dehydration & hyponatremia are almost identical (well, because they are both symptoms of electrolyte imbalance).

Which is why when you are drinking a lot more water than usual and eating less than usual at the same time, a headache is not uncommon. Adding a bit of salt to the water can help with the balance - but even better is to drink when you are feeling a bit thirsty. 

I have found that what feels like my optimal water intake is rarely in the often-quoted eight 8oz glasses a day range. More commonly it's 5-6 glasses a day. Drink when it feels good, but if you overshoot, it can be just as annoying. :) 

• Thank you both for the welcomes and the advice on the salt.  :-P I do have Pink Himalayan salt and may need to drink some salted water. 

• Hi Everyone!   Great thread!  I just started being more 'bulletproof' last weekend. I've been doing Kiefer's Carb Nite solution for almost 6 months with no results. I'm 50 and about 30lbs overweight and 31% bodyfat (podpod). I  came across Skye's book and decided that I would give it a try.  I am recently also gluten free, dairy free (except for GF butter) and sugar free.  I have been doing BPC for a while and also have the Bulletproof Diet book.  I work out with a trainer 2x a week and do 2 days of weights on my own and one day of HIIT - so 2 recovery days in the week. I'm thinking that I will back off from the 2 days a week I train myself and just work with my trainer and do one day of kettlebell swings for HIIT.

I have a question about the carb refeeds - how many grams of carbs are recommended for the 2 days a week? 

I also have been taking all the supplements as recommended.

I'm really hoping this will work for me.  It really has been a struggle.

• Just checking in!

I wanted to report on my results so far...

I have had 4 refeeds so far, and didn´t manage to get my carbs over 100 grams for the day. Not sure if that is an issue. I just felt I had eaten enough, was satisfied,  and didn´t want more food.

I have lost 2 inches from my waist and lost 4 pounds in weight, my bloating is gone, my face looks thinner, my skin is clear and I am sleeping unbelievably well! All in all, I feel fabulous!

I was sceptical at first as I am a firm believer in the LCHF keto way of eating for health. I am now starting to think some underlying hormonal issues are being resolved by following this WOE, and that the refeeds combined with the exercise are doing me so much good!

Also eliminating all dairy except for grassfed butter has been an eye opener. I thought I couldn´t live without my beloved cheese, but I am feeling a lot better without it. Pity, but that is the way things are for me. I tested yesterday evening by adding 2 oz of organic feta cheese to my food, and hey presto, I reacted to it! I had a bloated stomach, a flushed face, a stuffy nose and water retention (my rings were very tight) in my hands and feet. After a good nights´sleep I woke feeling much better again, apart from a little bit of a stuffy nose still. So, lesson learned! 

Although in the book it says not to consume dairy, I really had to see for myself, to really know what it is doing to me. Sounds stubborn, but sometimes it´s better to really feel than to just be told something, LOL! 

I have also found that I am instinctively eating until satisfied and not until full. I thought I had that down whilst eating LCHF, but now I realise I was still overeating, mainly protein. 

So I wanted to thank Skye for the great book and all the support she´s giving here and on her blog. The information has helped me move beyond my issues and really feel great!!!! Thank you again!!!!

• edited June 2015
    Hi,

Today is my first NFFB Carb Depletion Day. I'm 56 yrs. young & just on the other side of the Big M.

I have done IF in various forms (16/8, 5:2, 4:3) on & off over the past few yrs, but this is my first attempt trying BP IF 16/8 along with VLCHF/Nutritional Ketosis.

Best Wishes on your continued progress!😎Ann

P.S. Hope it's ok that I post the 15 min. Tracy Reifkind Kettle Bell workout from YouTube that I did today.

• Hey gang.  I've been out of the loop the last several weeks.  I drove back home (2 1/2 days drive) to help my mom move from her home of 40+ years.  Being on the computer at her home is like one step up from dial-up, so I didn't really try to do anything computer-wise.  LOL!   On TV we watched Matlock type shows.  Yeah, she is in her 80s so we watched Gunsmoke and Bonanza and Judge Judy. 

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I'm back home now.  I feel totally beat up, too.  Even though we were eating right, the emotional part of it all really played a toll, plus the physical demands of moving, cleaning and driving for 5 days.  It was a beautiful time with my mom, but definitely a very difficult time, too.

I was the "cook" during the time there and my mom was thrilled with my healthful, BP meals.  I loved feeding her good food. 

Now I'm in "healing mode" right now.  Lots of TLC for me right now and pulling my boundaries back in.  Gotta get my energy levels back up, my schedule reset to this time zone and life-style, and refuel up emotionally.    Life is good. 

• I'm moving onto to Jade Teta's ME, after listening to him on the BP podcast linked below.

• Hi all, been a great ride in self biohacking. I've been trying new and tweaking my diet for a few years and am new to NFFBFW after transitioning from paleo then to keto and now to this which I like ALOT. one thing that I wondered about was ...MCT oil - Is it possible that taking more than 1 tablespoon could cause some body fat lose issues. I am presently 37% body fat, 5'3 161 almost 46 and fat loss has been slow but I've been working on my body, functional movement and doing swimming sprints in my pool since sprinting hurts my mcl and kettlebells and weightlifting and jumping rope so the physical structure is starting to reshape after starting to workout again about a month back. Only lost about 5 actual lbs, would love to drop more buti'm just letting that come when it comes, I am squatting 97lbs which is a huge deal for my 5'3 body!! If someone can let me know if they limit MCT oil, I orders brain octane, is that ok to take whenever I want more brain lovin fat?
  • Hi all,

I have semi-fallen off the BP wagon. I had an awful day last Friday, felt fat, bloated, realized that all of that is probably due to allowing my eating to go a little too far adrift from what I know it should be, so today is shopping day (as soon as power comes back on anyway...keeping my fingers crossed that it's not too late in the day) and tomorrow I am starting my second NFFBFW 10 day carb depletion. Skye's plan worked SO WELL for me the first time why would I do anything else?! So I'll be checking in on this forum (which I have been away from for too long) it has helped to keep me focused and motivated.

• Have now read through this whole thread *phew!*. I started BPD 7 days ago, did my first protein-fast/carb day yesterday and was shocked that I didn't put on a bunch of pounds of water weight. 

Then I found this thread and am thinking I should buy Skye's book after my 2-week BPD. 

How important is it giving up nightshades? Most of the cooking that I do contains tomatoes somehow, and I'm not sure there will be a good substitute... It makes me wonder if BPD won't have any effect just for nightshades.

I've tracked my macros and I've been getting around 70% fats, 15% protein, 15% carb or regular fasting days, so I think I basically won't have to make any changes to what my meals look like?

Have people been noting good results? I've seen a lot of posts in this thread over time of people being disappointed after all their effort. :-/

I am in the Lots To Lose camp. 5'9" and 280lb, 50%bf according to my scale. I wanted to get a dexa scan but my doctor wouldn't let me "because that's for osteoporosis" so I'll have to get a bodpod reading if I want to be super sure.

• Hey Magess, welcome :) 

All I can say is that Skye's protocol worked super-well for me...and I would recommend following it to the letter for the 21 days if you're going to do it. You will find out how much of an issue nightshades are for you when you re-introduce them. It did feel a bit restrictive to me at first, and I had to start over part-way through my first 21 days because I made some mistakes but it was so worth it. It took a little while for my body to respond - it was closer to the end of the 21 days than the start but things took off like gang-busters at that point, I actually loosened up on the plan cuz I was worried about losing too much weight. However, I had already discovered and eliminated a few food sensitivities that probably were keeping my body bloated and inflamed...apparently I was sensitive to nuts which was a big wake up call (I had nuts or nut milks every day!!!) And sensitive to pea protein (wondering why I didn't lose an ounce on a previous detox...a detox that featured pea protein shakes...hmmm). So even though you like tomatoes and eat them daily IF they are causing a problem for you I imagine you would want to know. Good luck!

• I'm a bit afraid of this adding protein to my BP coffee because I'm so overweight. 50.3% body fat. Skye says for three months to add protein. But I'm not sure I understand why? Dave says it too. But I thought the whole magic was in the intermittent fasting. And if I'm having protein, that breaks the fast. So... why is it still beneficial to wait until 1pm to eat a real meal? Will all the fat burning be on hold for 3 months while I'm trying to do this leptin reset?

I already spent 3 months this year having green smoothies every morning and packing in as many vegetables as I could into every day trying to do SANE Solution, and all I did was gain 10lb. The people on that forum kept saying that it takes time to work, it takes time to heal your metabolism and kick in. But after gaining fat, it didn't seem like more time was a good idea, so stopped with the smoothies and the high protein foods.

• Quick question / comment:

I've been following Skye's plan for 5 weeks and this has been the easiest plan for me to follow.  Have not gotten hungry, nervous, anxious, etc.  I do have a Y membership so I am getting daily exercise just not strenuous.  I have a phobia of numbers so I stay away from the scale and body fat measurer, but  I can state I have dropped a size in pants, and a size & a half in shirts.   I read somewhere (may be in Skye's book ... can't remember ... sorry) that it takes 6 weeks for you to notice changes and 8 weeks for others to notice changes, so I guess I am ahead of schedule.  Feeling good about it.  

Anyway - I read in the forum that adding collagen to bp coffee/tea breaks the fast, so I have been taking the collagen in evening.  But - 

does adding cinnamon to the morning bp coffee/tea break the fast?  

I am 56 and female.  My avatar shows a man because I am not that savvy with making changes.  Hope the image doesn't distract anyone from the question about cinnamon.  

I have had a desk job since 1982, and the effects of being chair / desk bound for 8 - 12 hours a day have been stockpiling.  I am taking pilates and flexibility classes at my Y which are low impact and have also aided greatly in helping me get mobility back.  

I encourage others to try the plan.  

• How do we gauge how many carbs to have on a re-feed day? Is it until you feel full, or...?

300g is too high. I'll never make it based on the carb re-feed on BPD that I've done/am doing. 

• Hummmm   If this is still being read.  I am curious about the comment regarding MCT oil and fat loss.  I have been doing BP for about 3 months.  I feel great and have gained muscle.  But my muffin top has expanded.  I am thinking I have thyroid-cortisol-adrenal issues.  I need some labs.  But, I did not think about the oil.  I am m doing 1.5 tbsp. of Brain Octane in coffee and more xTC oil at lunch.  Anymore info on the slower fat loos and oil connection? Thanks   

• Magess,

If you have an app on your phone that calculates the carbs for you that's convenient - I don't have an app to recommend because I have a very old phone so I don't have apps like that. I measured my food on carb refeed days...everything...and looked up the carb grams on the internet. All of your veggies have some carb grams. I also kept track of protein grams on the carb re-feed days. CynR, I don't believe that a small ammount of cinnamon in your BP coffee would break your fast BUT if you are putting cinnamon in your coffee that is not technically hard-core BP coffee according to some of the things I've read on some of these forums and in Dave A's stuff. Good question healeyhiker, if you are gaining weight it might not be a bad idea to reduce the oils just a bit and see if that makes a difference, I would be a little surprised if the brain octance and xct is the culprit there (just based on my own experience), perhaps labs would be helpful...or guidance from a functional medicine specialist. It might be good to search the forums and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

• Magess,

If you have an app on your phone that calculates the carbs for you that's convenient - I don't have an app to recommend because I have a very old phone so I don't have apps like that. I measured my food on carb refeed days...everything...and looked up the carb grams on the internet. All of your veggies have some carb grams. I also kept track of protein grams on the carb re-feed days. CynR, I don't believe that a small ammount of cinnamon in your BP coffee would break your fast BUT if you are putting cinnamon in your coffee that is not technically hard-core BP coffee according to some of the things I've read on some of these forums and in Dave A's stuff. Good question healeyhiker, if you are gaining weight it might not be a bad idea to reduce the oils just a bit and see if that makes a difference, I would be a little surprised if the brain octance and xct is the culprit there (just based on my own experience), perhaps labs would be helpful...or guidance from a functional medicine specialist. It might be good to search the forums and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I didn't mean count how many I've had, I mean determine how many I'm supposed ot have. How many grams of carbs count as a refeed?