No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Kasey - I'm thinking the salt I had wasn't the salt I should have had, so I shall revisit in the new year :) I'm like you, I get to a certain point and everything seems to just stop. I trained for and ran 4 half marathons in the last year, and my body isn't smaller. Hoping this plan will help! I'm tired of the 220's, and size 12's! 

How's everyone doing with the holiday's quickly approaching? I completed 21 days on plan, I had a bit of a cheat on day 17 with some red peppers, but otherwise I managed to stay on track. I will restart once my family is gone and I get back from a 2 day trip - January 2nd. I plan to try and continue with the bulletproof fasting until 1pm, I think it'll help me keep things in check :) I lost 11 pounds, and more importantly went from a size 14 - which was tight, down to a loose size 12! In january I plan to tackle getting to 199 - I'm stuck at 210. 

-Aimee

• Welcome Kasey & Aimee, hello all :)

I haven't been on the site of some time...as usual the holidays have been somewhat stress-filled. The stress has been both positive and expected...and less than positive (on the surface anyway) and some of it unexpected. I am happy to say that I'm handling all of this better than I would be had I not found the NFFB and BP plans! I am holding my own, staying pretty much BP (a few slips but I have learned something from all of them). Seeing how I have become more resilient in the face of some unpredictable stressors - with only fairly recent changes to my food and exercise - is helping me to stay strong and continue to eat and live as BP as I am able. I bought Dave's book as soon as it came out and I'm reading a chapter...or even just a paragraph...when I can find the time, and that is also helping me stay on my path to wellness. Things are pretty busy here and the rounds of visiting with family and friends will start soon so I at least wanted to check in and say Happy BP Holidays and let you all know I'm thinking of you!

Take care! Hope your holidays are both peaceful and magical!

• Also a general question for those who have been on the protocol for a while. Like Kasey, I found that the depletion totally changed my appetite; I just wasn't as hungry, and I would have put my cravings at zero. Since the carb refeeds have started, I'm back to higher appetite and definitely have to use more willpower if there's - say  - chocolate in the vicinity. I might still be finding my balance, and it's not a real problem, but I'm curious what others have found along these lines.

Kasey, you're past the 10 days by a bit, right? You must be around 25 days by now?

Musicmama - I have the same problem. By day three of VERRRRY low carb i have no cravings at all, and with any added starch cravings return for three days after consumption. The only carbs i use are white rice, sweet potato, and butternut squash. I have since transitioned to small carb portions every evening due to stage 1 adrenal fatigue, but i have chalked up my cravings to either adrenal fatigue or a poor ratio of bad gut flora relative to the good flora (in other words, I think i may struggle on some level with sibo or candida, despite negative tests for both - testing isn't definitive). I dont know if you struggle with adrenal fatigue, but i have read that some people feel "off" without SOME carb every day. I was wondering if you had hacked your cravings or if this is still a struggle for you. I'm still struggling with it for sure - but making sure i have some afternoon himalayan salt in water definitely helps. dave's glutathione also takes the edge off, and ive also added extra magnesium (for chocolate cravings - works for some people, but its not a panacea) (i use the glycinate form) and vitamin C. adding the amino acid DLPA at up to 1500 mg twice a day can also help - but give yourself at least a week on it before you decide it doesn't work. Bone broth - homemade from grass finished animals - also REALLY REALLY helps when i want to give in and have something not bp. Would love to hear any strategies you have been using to hack this problem!! Have you been able to limit your refeeds to every 4th day? have you found yourself slipping away from the food list? 

welcome newcomers and happy holidays everyone!! 

• Karen GKaren G
    edited December 2014

I'm here.  I have had a family bereavement and apart from dealing with grief, been doing alot of running around, so it's been hard to stick with the list especially when traveling so much.

I have settled back into things the last couple of days and feel better for it.  I have noticed that my sleep improves when I stick with the list.  I have not weighed myself though for ages.  I just want to get back into the groove.  

I made some festive bulletproof mocha today with collagen.  Added fresh turmeric, cardamom and festive spices with a touch of xylitol.  Felt really indulgent!  If you are doing it, strain the spices out of the coffee before blending with other ingredients.

• I am so sorry to hear that Karen. Know that our thoughts are with you. 

• I'm here.  I have had a family bereavement and apart from dealing with grief, been doing alot of running around, so it's been hard to stick with the list especially when traveling so much.

Karen, I'm sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you...

• Musicmama - I have the same problem. By day three of VERRRRY low carb i have no cravings at all, and with any added starch cravings return for three days after consumption. The only carbs i use are white rice, sweet potato, and butternut squash. I have since transitioned to small carb portions every evening due to stage 1 adrenal fatigue, but i have chalked up my cravings to either adrenal fatigue or a poor ratio of bad gut flora relative to the good flora (in other words, I think i may struggle on some level with sibo or candida, despite negative tests for both - testing isn't definitive). I dont know if you struggle with adrenal fatigue, but i have read that some people feel "off" without SOME carb every day. I was wondering if you had hacked your cravings or if this is still a struggle for you.

I wouldn't say the cravings are a serious problem for me, but it's definitely different than most of my 10-day depletion whenI just wasn't all that hungry and had absolutely no trouble avoiding carbs. Now I have to use some willpower to avoid chocolate when it's around :)

I'm now about 45 days into Skye's protocol and feeling good; overall it's definitely working for me. I'm not extremely careful about my carb levels on my non-refeed days - e.g.I stick to green vegetables and protein and fats, but if someone else makes the salad and I end up with some carrots I don't worry about it! - but after the holidays I might try to measure for a few days to make sure I'm in the 30g (ish) range. I don't think I have adrenal fatigue now although I probably did a few years ago - but if it the 3 days of low carb between refeeds isn't working, I'll adjust. 

Since you're including some starch every day, are you still doing the re-feeds? From what I've read about re-feeds (outside of Skye's book), they're particularly important if you are very low carb most of the time. If you have some carbs every day, then you would still do a re-feed but just don't need the same quantity of carbs as you otherwise would. In any case, it's really interesting to see how the question of carbs has changed for a lot of Paleo folks. Many  - like Robb Wolf - went from very low carb (for himself and his recommendation for others) to eventually including many more safe starches or at least encouraging people to experiment. 

• VLC does not work well for me.  Dries the heck outta my eyes!  My carb choices are sushi (white rice), pumpkin, green plantain and a small serving of fruit daily.  I made an awesome pumpkin pie filling that is quite satisfying.  It has cooked pumpkin about 2 cups, an egg, the usual spices and 1/3 cup of green plantain, stevia to taste and 1 T coconut cream blended together. A hand wand blender works fine. I bake them in individual pyrex dishes for about 30 minutes on 300F.  I really don't miss the pastry part of pumpkin pie anyway. 

• Musicmama - i have been struggling to figure out if I need to refeed - if anyone has thoughts on this I would love some input. I do think that I need to Refeed because I have maybe 40g of carb (not including veg carbs) most days. I plan on refeeding, and using my refeed days as protein cutting days - but this will result in a refeed style against the logic of Skye's plan because I will not restrict fats. I figure I won't get the insulin spike - bad because I won't get the spike in fat burning hormones but GOOD for inflammation and blood sugar issues - but I will get the mucous producing benefits of carbs for eyes and gut lining. If anyone disagrees with my logic and the benefits I think I am getting from this eating style, please chime in! :)

Parker - DEFINITELY trying that out! Sounds awesome
  • Just wishing all our Fat Burning Team Happy Holidays.  Today is certainly a carb-refeed day!

• Musicmama - i have been struggling to figure out if I need to refeed - if anyone has thoughts on this I would love some input. I do think that I need to Refeed because I have maybe 40g of carb (not including veg carbs) most days. I plan on refeeding, and using my refeed days as protein cutting days - but this will result in a refeed style against the logic of Skye's plan because I will not restrict fats. I figure I won't get the insulin spike - bad because I won't get the spike in fat burning hormones but GOOD for inflammation and blood sugar issues - but I will get the mucous producing benefits of carbs for eyes and gut lining. If anyone disagrees with my logic and the benefits I think I am getting from this eating style, please chime in! :)

Whiteelephant, check out another thread in this section about carb re-feeding vs protein fasting. In his book Dave says they can be the same day but it does sound like the mechanisms are quite different (and I don't really understand it yet, so please keep that in mind as you read the rest of my post :)  I think the only way that low carb works long term for most people - especially women - is when there are refeeds in there, so I think it's a question of when and how (not whether) you should do them. Having minimal fats in your first serving of carbs seems to be important so I'm wondering if there's a way to have BPC in morning, do an intense workout in the afternoon, have a large serving of carbs with very little fat soon after, and then later have a dinner that follows the protein fast day protocol (more carbs, some fat, no protein).  

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

Hello, and thanks to all the posters here!

I am in week 3 of the Bullet Proof protocol, but was looking for a womens forum.  I have 70 pounds to lose and I'm 54 years old.  I've been heavy all my adult life, and now that I'm in menopause, my ability to lose weight has GONE completely! 

I lost 6 pounds my first week being Bullet Proof, and then 1 pound week 2.  I was going to start the Rapid Fat Loss Protocol today, but realized I don't have all the supplements I need.  I, too, travel, and was hoping to fast on my travels.  Easier just not to eat on the road.  I was hoping to try it at home first in case I had the "ketone flu".

I was very excited to find this thread and I have purchased Ms St John's book.  I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Thanks to all that take the time and energy to post.  Its REALLY helpful.  On the Facebook note, I've never been on it, and plan to never start.  I don't need anything else that sucks up time !!!

• Hi everyone- I am half way through the Bulletproof Diet book and have just ordered No Fail Fat Burning For Women (can't wait to get that one!). I've been drinking BP coffee for a few months and I'm planning on committing to this way of eating some time in January (after I have surgery and have recovered). I want to do as much research as I can so I get it right, so I was excited to find this forum to address specific challenges women have. Anyway,  I have a few questions for you guys...

I'm a bit confused on whether we're supposed to have collagen in the BP coffee in the mornings. From my understanding, that would break the fast, which you don't want to do until the afternoon. But on pg. 83 of Dave's book, it says, "if you are a woman, a heavily muscled athlete, or have a lot of weight to lose, you will likely benefit from having some protein with your BP coffee in the morning for the first 60 days." And then he goes on to recommend the collagen protein for that. I wish he would have explained WHY he recommended that for women. I'm hoping someone here knows?

Also, I'm having my fourth knee surgery in a couple of weeks (not fun). I think I saw somewhere in this forum that glutamine is recommended for surgery? Does anyone know how that is taken- how much and when? If there's anything I can do to speed up my recovery, that would be awesome. 

In addition, I have thyroid issues. When I was 14 I had my thyroid removed because of Graves' Disease- that was 9 years ago. I've been on hormone replacement ever since. Despite my hormones being in the "normal" range, I seem to still have hypothyroid symptoms. I'm hoping that cleaning up my diet will help! Does anyone know if there are supplements or anything that help with thyroid hormones or the adrenal problems that often accompany thyroid problems? 

Anyway, I really appreciate all of the great info you guys share on here! It's really helpful :) 

• Happy holidays all. Slow day @ work and I'm reviewing my most recent data. The results are in: eating crap and drinking alcohol lead to weight gain. :-P SO, fixing to start another 21 day clean-up using Skye's protocol, which worked really well for me several months ago. This time, though, more attention paid to keeping up protein intake. Towards the end I was feeling weak and it showed on my lifts. Not a huge deal, I was really pleased to have dropped body fat, but I'm thinking I'll try to go really slow with this and pay attention to macros, even though we are advised against it. I have about 10 lbs to lose, and wouldn't mind gaining some actually if it turned out to be muscle. But I am ready to jettison more of my lower body fat, and I really enjoy the clarity and energy that being BP provide. Any other New Years Resolutioners out there?

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

Ms St. John -

Just finished your book - THANK YOU!  I honestly felt like you were talking directly to me!  I love that you put all that in a book.  As soon as I saw it sitting on my porch, I dove right in!  I have 2 questions for you, one of which is also asked by Kat -

If you have significant weight to lose (I do, 70 pounds) - do I want to take the protein early in the morning?  And is collagen the same as collagen protein? 

Secondly, if I've been eating the bulletproof IF protocol for almost 3 weeks now, do I still do the 10 day carb depletion ?

Thank you for your time and energy on these boards.  You are SUCH an inspiration!  Keep kicking ass, woman !  Thanks!