No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• GreerGreer
    edited January 2015

Being post-menopausal, the last 3 years I've added some pounds that I'm not comfortable with.  I look fine, but feel yucky in my clothes.  I'm hoping that incorporating the rest of the BP diet helps with those pounds, too.  Trying to fine tune it for me.  I think I need help in getting my fat/protein/carb ration correct. Any suggestions on how to do that?  I haven't found it yet in the BP blogs or videos yet. 

THANK YOU ladies.  I love this thread!

Hi Linda  the bulletproof road may which you can download says ( by calories)  50 -70% oil fat, veggies 20%, protein 20%, fruit/starch 5%. which is not the same as fat-protein-carbs relationship as the veggies have some carbs. Skye says at least 50% should be fat on regular IF days

Because I was curious I plugged a few days of my food intake into My Fitness Pal app/website (ignoring the calorie totals!!! and other crap they throw at you :-P ) to see what my fat-protein-starch relationship is - the phone app has a nutrition pie chart which shows the breakdown in an instant (web site does not). Been about 70-15-15 ish on regular days and on refeed days about 50-25-25. Do not need to do it anymore as I know that whatever I eat is always around this :smile:

But as Skye says (rather adamantly)

"Don't count anything -- calories, grams, just eat clean f-ing food! "

Posted by Skye St. John on 23 October 2014 - 03:36 PM in Women on the Bulletproof Diet

Greer, I know that somewhere I read that there's a link between excess estrogen and where our fat is (higher cortisol leads to more weight around the middle - we hear that all the time - but I think too much estrogen leads to heavier thighs and maybe arms?). In any case, the interplay among all the hormones is so interesting and complicated, and imbalances are reflected in many ways .... you've heard some of Dr Gottfried's work?

I will have a look into Dr Gottfrieds's work - thanks for that info... it does seem complicated but very interesting...

I keep remembering what Skye says: "just eat clean food" the rest should work out... I am going with that right now - been BP IF-ing for while but took up Skye's challenge and am on day 3 of 10 of the NFFBFW carb depletion... feeling good :smile:

We are into page 20 of this thread now - golly!!

•  

"High intake of healthy fats is optimal. General ranges are 50-80 percent fat, 5-30 percent carbohydrate, and 10-30 percent protein. "

Thanks. Kat.  I need to do more reading.  Today I was F - 58%, C - 12%, and P - 30%.  The rest of my week I was too low in F and too high in C ( I do tend to eat a lot of veggies)  So I know to eat more like I did today with maybe another increase in my fat. 

I've been reading and reading, and gleaning a lot of info.  It is so helpful to be able to ask questions for clarification.   Thank you.

• ... Today I was F - 58%, C - 12%, and P - 30%.  The rest of my week I was too low in F and too high in C ( I do tend to eat a lot of veggies)  So I know to eat more like I did today with maybe another increase in my fat. 

I've been reading and reading, and gleaning a lot of info.  It is so helpful to be able to ask questions for clarification.   Thank you.

Linda, What are you eating to get your high protein ratio - Are you eating only the veggies on Skye's list?  I am still drawn to lots of veggies too... I am eating meat each meal but my overall protein grams are low even though my ratios are OK?? - supposed to be about 79 g for my weight I believe but only getting about 40 g... yeah yeah not supposed to count but can't help it.

BTW you can download the Bulletproof Road map herehttps://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BPDRMrast-06112014.55436.pdf 

• Linda, What are you eating to get your high protein ratio - Are you eating only the veggies on Skye's list?  I am still drawn to lots of veggies too... I am eating meat each meal but my overall protein grams are low even though my ratios are OK?? - supposed to be about 79 g for my weight I believe but only getting about 40 g... yeah yeah not supposed to count but can't help it.

BTW you can download the Bulletproof Road map herehttps://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BPDRMrast-06112014.55436.pdf 

I was eating so many veggies that I used blame my "doh" moments on a kale overdose.  We ate paleo, but weren't 100% tight on it when eating out.  I started following the BP protocols to tighten things up when I got back from a trip and then found Skye's book earlier this week, so getting everything put together still.  I need to read it again and slower.

Yesterday I had leftover roast beef with veggies, and last night I had veggies and chicken.  However, according to my food tracker ap, everything I ate (sans MCT oil) yesterday had protein in it. . . including  cinnamon.  Who knew cinnamon had protein in it?  LOL! I'm pretty good on the allowed veggies/food.    Hopefully my activated charcoal arrives today and I can add it to the regimen. 

Off to start another BulletProof Day!  I love my life. 

• I was eating so many veggies that I used blame my "doh" moments on a kale overdose.  We ate paleo, but weren't 100% tight on it when eating out.  I started following the BP protocols to tighten things up when I got back from a trip and then found Skye's book earlier this week, so getting everything put together still.  I need to read it again and slower.

Yesterday I had leftover roast beef with veggies, and last night I had veggies and chicken.  However, according to my food tracker ap, everything I ate (sans MCT oil) yesterday had protein in it. . . including  cinnamon.  Who knew cinnamon had protein in it?  LOL! I'm pretty good on the allowed veggies/food.    Hopefully my activated charcoal arrives today and I can add it to the regimen. 

Off to start another BulletProof Day!  I love my life. 

thanks Linda - kale overdose - never quite got to that !!! :-)

What app are you using? MyFitnessPal (which I do not like as it is so bent on calories) is NOT noting any protein in cinnamon?!... well I guess it only goes to prove that counting is a waste of time: he he he...

Day 4 of Carb depletion - going well! brain is functioning better that it has for a while and my muscle problems seem to be gone (after years and years) - getting rid of the inflammatory foods ! (Yesterday I made some hollandaise sauce and put a tiny bit of cayenne/paprika in it not even thinking it would be problem, even though Dave warns it can be problem... boy did I react, felt horrible - like I had eaten a brick -thanks goodness for charcoal tabs- just proves how much we have been putting up with in the past).

Glad all is good for you in your BP life - you are lucky you have a "we" to do this with - my husband thinks all this is 'hocus pocus'. He is a physicist so is a bit caught up in "published research"... but as we know most published food research is backed by big business selling whatever to make money - so what is published is only what they want the public to hear :-(.  I just have to remain the stubborn person I can so often be and stick to this.

•  

What app are you using? MyFitnessPal (which I do not like as it is so bent on calories) is NOT noting any protein in cinnamon?!... well I guess it only goes to prove that counting is a waste of time: he he he...

Glad all is good for you in your BP life - you are lucky you have a "we" to do this with - my husband thinks all this is 'hocus pocus'.

I'm using an app that is on my computer.  Not sure of the name, but it has pretty charts and graphs. My computer is brand new so came with a bunch of apps already included.   And I agree. . . the cinnamon is such a little thing, but if they (the experts) can't agree on cinnamon, well, counting is just a waste of time.  Um, where have we heard that before???   LOL!  

My husband can see a difference in me.  He is supportive in that he knows Ive tried everything to get my "wow" back, so if drinking butter coffee and follow Skye and Dave's advice is helping me get there, then he is 100% on board.  He still eats a lot of things I don't/won't.  The problem is (and this is a good problem) he likes all the stuff I'm making.  So he will eat it first, then eat his other stuff, the stuff  I can't.  Well, that kinda leaves me in a bit of a bind.  "Hey, where's that _______ I made???)   So I pointed him towards some things that are awesome that I cannot eat right now.   I'm not mad.  It's quite a compliment that he thinks my BP foods/meals are that tasty!   Hahaha.    BTW - I'm married to a nurse and he doesn't agree with all of the science either, but he cannot argue with the results he is seeing in me.  Maybe he will choose to become bulletproof too someday. 

I'm waiting on my activated charcoal.  I think that stuff will be good to have to use as Skye recommends and as a safety net for those "oops" times. 

• Good evening everyone.  I am just about ready to start Sky's protocol.  I have a question regarding carbs.  On page 35 of her book in the second paragraph it reads, "If you have a slip up and consume more than 30 grams of carbohydrates (including fruit or alcohol) you'll need to start all over or else the program WILL NOT work."

I take this that we are to keep our daily carbs at 30 or less?

Yet, down on the bottom of the page it reads, "if you cheat and consume any sort of carbohydrate, including alcohol, you must re-start at day one."

I am confused.

Can you help explain this?  :)

• Good evening everyone.  I am just about ready to start Sky's protocol.  I have a question regarding carbs.  On page 35 of her book in the second paragraph it reads, "If you have a slip up and consume more than 30 grams of carbohydrates (including fruit or alcohol) you'll need to start all over or else the program WILL NOT work."

I take this that we are to keep our daily carbs at 30 or less?

Yet, down on the bottom of the page it reads, "if you cheat and consume any sort of carbohydrate, including alcohol, you must re-start at day one."

I am confused.

Can you help explain this?   :)

Amis, I took this to mean: 30 g of carbohydrate/day as they occur in green vegetables (it can be pretty hard to eat vegetables and be zero carb, even if you take out the fiber count when you calculate the carbs). "Any sort of carbohydrate" would mean a starch or fruit, something that is primarily a carbohydrate.

• Hi there! new here, just read Skyes book. I am wondering two things, maybe you can help.

1. I like my window to be between 10 am and 6 pm, is it okay to switch it that much and still see results>

2.  If one is adding protein to the BPC isn't that just a meal? will one still lose fat while on this protocol if they do the leptin reset portion of it? (meaning, having the 30 grams of protein with the BPC)

Thanks so much for any help you can give!! I am 7 days into the reorientation and am excited to do this.

• Hi there! new here, just read Skyes book. I am wondering two things, maybe you can help.

1. I like my window to be between 10 am and 6 pm, is it okay to switch it that much and still see results>

2.  If one is adding protein to the BPC isn't that just a meal? will one still lose fat while on this protocol if they do the leptin reset portion of it? (meaning, having the 30 grams of protein with the BPC)

Thanks so much for any help you can give!! I am 7 days into the reorientation and am excited to do this.

Hi mamagrzy

1.  It isn't the specific hours, it is the # of hours you fast and the # of feeding hours.  I, too, stop eating at 6.  I start eating again after 11 ish (fits my schedule and lifestyle)  So, 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating. 

Some else will have to answer #2.  It may already be in these pages. Do you mean something other than Dave's collagen protein??  I did add it at first, it was in my BP coffee and wasn't even near 30 grams.   So I don't know. 

Good luck.  You're gonna love how you feel!

• From what I can tell on question #2 is that the MCT oil will keep you in ketosis, so yes it is a meal, but it won't knock you out of ketosis. Hope that helps?

• Question fellow BP Women:   Are any of you getting palpitations after you eat?   Other than that I'm feeling great and doing well.  It is just after I eat I will get some palpitations.  I'm using my pink salt, taking my supplements, drinking water.   So not sure why I'm getting the palpitations.  Suggestions???

• Linda, when I was doing the 10-day depletion, I woke up with my heart racing for several days in a row. I don't remember if I ever figured out what it was but then it stopped and I forgot about it. 

If the palpitations are after you eat, it might be a reaction to something in the meal (not sure, just a suggestion). Can you tell if it corresponds to certain foods?

• Good morning, Musicmama.   First, I gotta tell ya, I love your name.  I'm part of the blues community here, and many have fun names:  Eagle Park Slim, Boogie King, Rege Mama, Coffee Jack . . .  You'd fit right in!   I am not a musician, but got to host a blues radio station once.  When I walked in without a "blues" name, they named me Lady Lin.  Some still call me that.   

Anyhoo. . . I did consider that it was related to a specific food, but that isn't it.   My diet was pretty clean before I went on BP and this did not happen.  The foods are not different, just the macros.  I've been playing with those to see if that helps.   That's where I'm thinking the problem is.  Just wondered if anyone had this response, and what they did to resolve it.  Supplement?  Timing? Macros?  But since yours went away after the adjustment after depletion, I'm thinking that it could be macros.

What is kinda funny is that my doctor had me go thru a whole battery of heart tests the last few months.  I was cleared by the cardiologist a few days ago with a 100% healthy heart.   I was having headaches and mild ligh-headedness after having a horrible bout of sinus infections.  I spent a few weeks in the rain forests in Costa Rica and eating local foods.  Got the infection and had to do 2 rounds of antibiotics to fix it.  That went away, or so we thought.  My function medicine doctor who is not covered by insurance figured out that the antibiotics  left a horrible fungal sinus infection behind.  Once I got that under control, the headaches and light-headedness went away.  But I love that my GP did the whole heart protocol and my insurance pd for it.  Nice to have a clean bill of health for my heart.  That is why I wasn't concerned about the palpitations.  They are just mildly uncomfortable.  

• Linda, I can't answer your question about the palpitations, just commiserate a little. I did Skye's protocol back in Nov. and my heart would be racing pretty consistently after consuming MCT. I'm fairly active and have a normally low resting pulse, so I was a little freaked out. It doesn't happen as often now. I'm guessing I've adapted.

My focus NOW is my morning, right-out-of-bed HR, which is pretty high (90 - 100)! As is my fasting glucose (120 - 130). Just had blood drawn for AC1 (and lipid panel too, just to see what the addition of all this new fat is doing to me), I'll adjust my panic once results are in. Someone suggested "dawn syndrome."

But I agree with you: I feel great, and don't miss those couple pounds of body fat at all.