No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Skye-

Just finished reading your book and made lots of notes.  Excited to start the program.  I have about 10 lbs to loose.

A few questions if you don't mind...

1) In the morning Bulletproof coffee fast, is it acceptable to add coconut cream to my bulletproof coffee, or does that not allow you to get into ketosis?  What about using Collagen in the morning  BPC?  Does that not allow ketosis...or is it just better for you body to take it at night for repair purposes?

2) you mention only good sweetner as stevia and that xylitol and erithritol are not good.  Of course, I have been using Swerve sweetner for a while now, never hearing the sugar alcohols were not ok.  I have a hard time with just stevia as a sweetner (aftertaste issue for me).   Can I continue to use Swerve in my BPC or is it out?

3).  You mention you eat chicken wings.  I have a Philips air fryer and love making chicken wings in it.  There is no mention of being to use a hot sauce (like Franks buffalo wings sauce) on the plan.  Is that acceptable?  I would love to be able to continue to enjoy buffalo wings!

4).  Can I use your protein shake recipe as one of my meals (probably meal I break the morning fast with at 1pm)?

Thanks so much in advance.  Can't wait to hear your answers so that I don't start out doing something wrong!

Hi Marie! Awesome. Thanks for supporting the book! Excited for you to be on this journey.

1. If you only have ten lbs to lose, don't add the collagen. Protein will take you out of ketosis. BPA-free coconut cream fine.

2. Xylitol and sugar alcohols, please see my post here.

3. I am a hot sauce addict. Make sure it's clean. Not a bunch of dye, sugar, and preservatives.

4. Yes, rock that protein shake as a meal, girl!

Keep on!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Ellie Hales - 

Hello! I fell in LOVE with BP coffee but ultimately I realized it was probably doing me more harm than good, so I have switched to green tea, alternating with various kinds of tea. Its not the same kind of mood boost, but it definitely keeps my hunger and cravings in check. I'm so glad you are feeling better with this protocol, thats awesome! I was wondering what kinds of foods you were using for your refeeds, in what quantity, at what time of day, and how often. 

Skye - 

sorry for the delay! I have also had a crazy period, I hope you were able to meet your writing deadline!! :)

I totally get that ultimately its all about listening to the body when it comes to carb refeeds, but my body is so out of whack after antibiotics and accutane (side note: to anyone out there thinking of accutane... DONT DO IT!!!) that I have a hard time hearing what my body is saying. If i were to listen to my body i probably wouldnt eat carbs at all, because i almost always end up feeling whacky and hungrier than i was before i ate them. the obvious hypotheses here would be candida and parasites - i get those results this week. Is the carb refeed more about making your insulin reach a certain level OR more about getting a certain amount of carb? Would you be comfortable giving a ROUGH outline of the timing and ratio of carbs on a refeed day?

i know i am also having blood sugar issues - does anyone else struggle with this? will hypoglycemia level out after a few months on your protocol, skye? any supplements you would recommend? i have just started taking inositol by True Hope (i am a HUGE fan of this brand - a rep calls every first time user to walk you through how to use things) which seems to level me out a little bit. 

I was also wondering if there were any chocoholics out there. dark chocolate (the 90% lindt) seems to be the only thing that solves my food cravings when they strike. I like the stuff, but i dont eat it because i love it - i eat it because it seriously has a drug like effect on my cravings, much like BPC (which i am currently avoiding for my adrenal health - do i HAVE TO avoid coffee for them to heal??) also, i was wondering if there is any way to fit a full bar into the protocol or if that is always going to be way over the top (in terms of serving size) no matter when you choose to consume it. There are SO many psychoactive compounds in chocolate that its hard to figure out what my body is craving. i am confident that i get enough iron, and i dont think my body is craving the endorphins either because i still crave it after i work out. has anyone found a cure for this? (and this isnt just a "time of the month" craving for me, its on the daily.) any supplements?

It didnt work for me personally - but for anyone else with this issue, DLPA or DPA (harder to find but less stimulating) is supposed to help - I got this from Julia Ross' "The Diet Cure" - she uses amino acids to treat food cravers, addicts, and eating disorders, with a pretty great success rate!

skye - i was wondering if 15 - 30 g collagen protein in the morning is ok or will totally knock us out of ketosis.

also, skye, i just bought some pu-erh tea, and will give it a shot tomorrow morning! i'll let you know how it tastes... but it smells delicious!

keep up the hard work ladies! and if you havent read skye's book yet - DO! :) such a great resource!

Hi WhiteElephant!

Hope this finds you rocking hard and staying strong.

• Chocolate: look for an 85% or higher, under ten grams of sugar, free of vegetable fat, sun-dried. Lindt 90% and Endangered Species 88% are good bets
    • Adding protein or carbs will take you out of ketosis.
    • Carb refeeds are not an option, they are an obligation for this fat burning hack to work (and to get your fat burning hormones set straight once and for all). Please read pg 56 in the book about timing, etc. This is about sparking metabolism, spiking insulin and keeping fat burning hormones elevated for the days after your carb refeed. As I said before, there's no counting here. Your carb re-feed is a splurge to significantly spike insulin. Carb it throughout that re-feed window. The 30g carb count on non-refeed days is an average number... only you can test and see how much will impact ketosis. Those 30g of carbs though sneak up quickly (nuts, starchier vegetables). They are not meant as 30g of safe starch or a slice of bread.
    • If you are hungry, take an inventory: are fats at least 50% of your dietary intake? Has sugar or carbs snuck their way onto your plate?
    • I absolutely supplement with amino acids. I tried Total Amino Solution... good stuff but pretty expensive. Remember to keep your aminos at night as some may influence insulin levels.

Keep on rocking!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• I was wondering about the dark chocolate also. I usually eat green and blacks 70% but because it has sugar in it I thought maybe after the 21 days we can reintroduce sweets a little bit? 

My most significant challenge is sweets and wine over the 21 days but its making me think differently about how I spend my weekends, often I am dying for friday night wine and maltesers! Now Im thinking what would get me out of the house to avoid that weekend crash into comfort eating. 

Got my supplements coming tomorrow so Im almost ready to start.  I have just gotten over varicose vein surgery on my legs so Im not really ready to exercise just yet. I know its not in line with the protocol Skye has outlined to not exercise but Im just so eager to get started! Next week may be better for the HIT exercise so I will consider it more this evening about fully starting the carb depletion tomorrow.

Also Im resisting the urge to tell my husband my plans, I get so excited about new ways of eating. Im hoping he sees the positive results and then asks what Im doing, he's a 'see it and I'll believe it' kind of man :)

Hey CocoaCat-

Hope your recovery from surgery is complete and a success. Take it easy with the exercise til your body's healed. Clean diet and carb re-feed is everything. I just posted to WhiteElephant re: chocolate but in case you don't see it: look for an 85% or higher, under ten grams of sugar, free of vegetable fat, sun-dried. Lindt 90% and Endangered Species 88% are good bets.

Glad you're doing this for YOU!

SSJ

• sanssoucish.  I dropped tomatoes yesterday after noticing the same thing whilst at the same time, increasing my fat intake for the day.  I don't know if I'm sensitive to nightshade plants but I'm committed to just giving it 100%.   Hunger was less and more ketones (I'm using the urine strips at the moment).  I have ordered the Ketonix and it has just been shipped, so hope to get a more accurate read.  Hope helpful.

Hey Karen!

You are spot on. Night shade vegetables can be very inflammatory (among other things) for a lot of people... especially those with arthritis (hi, that's me... seven surgeries between knees and shoulders). Again, we need to put the power in our hands and see what works for our unique biological fingerprints. Leave them out, see how you feel. Add them in after a while and see how they make you feel. Keep rocking! SSJ

• Quickly dropping in after a long day. Much to say but excited to respond to everyone and hear what Skye has to say about chocolate. Thought I was the only one struggling with missing it. And like you, Cocoacat, thinking more critically about my intake of alcohol (why/when/where/how) has been a powerful outcome of following Skye's plan.

More tomorrow! ONWARD EVERYONE!

Hey Ellie. Here you go, re: chocolate: look for an 85% or higher, under ten grams of sugar, free of vegetable fat, sun-dried. Lindt 90% and Endangered Species 88% are good bets.

Team: this is not an excuse for drinking but when those situations arise check out page 69 for how to hack a hangover and at least mitigate some of the nasty effects.

• So I'm on a week long business trip (I'm in sales) and am finding this extremely hard when I travel. Aside from the alcohol (agree w others that I'm at least more cognizant of, thanks Skye!) - what the he.. do you choose in a restaurant?

In Philly right now & Last night for example I had a (beef, not organic/grassfed) burger w/out the bun, with a salad ...that showed up with a 'creamy balsamic' smothered ...and given the client I felt I couldn't ask for a change (I did precocioask for dressing on the side!) I have the Epic bars and even the grassfed butter (yes!) with me.

Foods:

- are regular salads (including tomato, carrots but not dressing) ok? Hard to imagine not eating another tomato from my garden.

My carb refeeds have previously included only foods on the ok list - sweet potatoes

- while traveling are sweet potato fries ok?

- is eggplant ok?

- what do you choose off a standard 'fancy restaurant' menu?

- How do you avoid the sneaky carbs / bad canola oils / etc?

I've definitely noticed my skin clearing overall but fat loss isn't continuing while I'm traveling.

Help wanted :smile:

Hi Kate. Hope your travels are going well! Posted about traveling here. Keep at it and the results will come. The further you go, the more you'll learn about how your body responds to different things. We didn't gain our excess fat in a couple weeks and we're not going to lose it all and then some in a couple weeks. But it will happen.

Eggplant is a nightshade. It's not on the list for that reason. They contribute to inflammation, leaky gut, insomnia, arthritis and a host of other things. Test on yourself and see how you feel with and without. Keep on! SSJ

• krsherwood - 

i struggle with sticking to the eating plan while eating out a lot too - but if you can't cook (while on a business trip, for example) or just dont have time, you can use dave's collagen protein as a clean protein source. I can't handle any protein powder - grass fed, vegan, hemp - except the collagen. I usually mix it with flax milk (By goodkarma - NO CARAGEENAN!! :) ) or tea, and MCT oil, and get some veggies in if i can. The idea when eating out, as i understand it, is to avoid fat from unhealthy animals at all costs. Dave also talks about fat loss coming and going in waves, many bodies wont keep burning it off at a steady rate.  There are SO many variables to fat loss - sleep is a huge one, and traveling can destroy sleep quality, stalling weight loss and overall well being. Also, are you using a scale as your sole feedback mechanism? You might be losing circumference without weight due to the addition of lean body mass. If your skin is looking clearer, you are detoxing, so keep with it! Most of us are pretty toxic and our fat burning mechanisms need a good cleaning :)

Amen, sister! We get that water weight off and then fat loss happens in increments as we increase our health and detox. Activated charcoal is also a great hack for jet lag (as well as adsorbing all the potential funky nasty stuff you can get on a plane and in that crappy recycled air). When you're detoxing, the NAC + ALA (or glutathione if you can afford it) plus charcoal will help your body detox and usher that crap out of your system.

• As I mentioned earlier, I recently had my blood work done by WellnessFX. It's nice to have a baseline to gauge how this new lifestyle is affecting me. The last blood test I had was a little over two years ago. I pulled out those results as well for comparison.

All of my numbers were in the healthy range (phew) except for in relation to my "blood health." I had low numbers for:

platelet count

white blood cell count

neutrophil count

and % Eosinophils

In each case, my counts are low but now super low.  I've had numbers like this in the past and my doctor was never concerned, especially since I don't show signs of infection or the diseases that can be attributed to low wbc's.

Curious if anyone on the forum has thoughts about that? Or hacks for me to improve the counts?

Hey Ellie-

I was reading a study on caonla oil and vegetable oils (check out page 11 in the book for why I think they're the devil). Anyway, the study did talk about how largely canola (and other vegetable oils) can really wreak havoc on blood platelets -- among other things. That sh*t sneaks into EVERYTHING. Things we don't even think sometimes. I'll be interested to see what your next test looks like after a while of having eliminated it from your diet. Keep on rocking. Sounds like you're really kicking ass! Thanks for starting this community. So important for all of us to have, share and support!

• Can I just say…  THANK YOU SKYE for your incredible generosity, and thank you everyone for this thread!  What a fantastic resource!

I have a question:  For some time now, I have been meaning to measure my body fat %.  But the 'home methods' seem really complicated.  Can a doctor's office do it?  Or a gym?  Can you pay someone to check with those pincher things?

Re: the road.  I travel a LOT.  I practically live on the road.  Sardines in BPA free cans are a staple, as are coconut chips and macadamia nuts, raw.  I also carry protein powders with me, (Upgraded whey+collagen, mixed with a bit of cacao, vanilla, and bee pollen) and a shaker.  If there is no better option for dinner, I shake one out.  Another thing that helps is going to a whole foods (or whatever is available) and picking up some avocados and some organic, raw kim chi or sourkraut.  If you have no convenient way to cook veggies, this is a great alternative and also very good for the gut.  MCT oil always travels with me too, as well as butter or ghee.  Hard boiled eggs are great too.

Cheers and thanks again for this thread!

Thanks, MrsFloyd! You rock, too. And thanks for the input about traveling. I think this is especially important with the holidays coming up. It's much easier to do in the comfort our own homes and kitchens but being on the road or staying with others can prove quite a challenge when not prepared.

I have a little thing that allows me to take powders and put them into capsules (a little time consuming but saves a lot of money on more expensive supplements). Anyway, I made a bunch of capsules containing pink salt that I take with me on the road instead of a pink salt shaker. That way I can pop one open to put on an egg or in my water bottle.

Ghee is great for traveling, too, since it doesn't have to be refirgerated! Keep on rocking!

• Hey mrsfloyd.  My gym has a scale that measures bodyfat as does my medical centre.  I have a Withings scale at home which also measures fat.  Between the three devices there is a 3% range, so I'm working off the higher number (the one at home) as the starting point.  If you have the cash you can also go and get a DEXA scan if you want details, ie where the fat is sitting.  Not sure where you live but you will probably find somewhere close by to you if you look on google.

Right on, Karen! I forgot to address MrsFloyd's question about bodyfat. Water displacement is also pretty accurate and runs about $65 to do the dunk. I'm getting a DEXA scan in the near future for the reasons you mentioned above. That's about $200. I use the Omron body fat analyzer for my at home measuring. It's somewhat accurate. The water and DEXA are going to be the most accurate. Whatever tool you use, use the same one so you don't get skewed readings and use them at the same time. I like to do it BEFORE a carb refeed when I'm super leaned out.

• i second that, Mrsfloyd - thank you skye! 

I tried the pu-ehr tea... it made me feel a little peppier than usual. I used it in addition to the BP tea I am already doing in the morning, one hour post consumption. (This is how it is marketed for use.) So perhaps the boost was purely the extra bit of caffeine, but not worth it for me personally. 1) its pricey 2) it made me feel a little wonky, more spacey than usual. so, for anyone with a history of gut issues who doesnt do well on fermented foods, I would NOT recommend this tea. (this is confirmed elsewhere in other threads in the forum.) 

Thank you, White Elephant! Good to know about the pu-ehr. I'm going to give it a shot soon.

• edited October 2014

Day #4 for me today.  I feel ok.  I find I am very hungry leading up to 1pm...and I am drinking about 16-21 ounces of BPC (with at least a total of 4 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP Brain Octane).   Hoping my body adjusts to not being so hungry.

I have no choice but to work out in the morning, so today was a workout day for me and I put a TBSP of Upgraded Collagen protein in my BPC.  Is that what I am supposed to do if I am working out in the AM?

Hey Marie-

Good for you! You're a badass for even trying. Adding the collagen is going to make you hungrier faster because you have pulled yourself out of ketosis. You don't have to do the collagen in the coffee before a workout. I don't anymore. I train fasted (only having BP coffee) and I get way more results that way. Lately I've had to train in the morning also but I still stay fasted until about 2 pm if not later.

For hunger:

• stop using the collagen in the coffee for now
    • add a little more butter to the coffee. If you're still not fat adapted take a digestive enzyme like Betaine HCL if it makes your tummy hurt.
    • For the rest of your meals (except for carb refeeds), really hike the fat up. At least 50 to 80% fat in your meals. High, healthy fat intake is one of the major players in burning fat.
    • Be super diligent about making sure sugars are not sneaking onto your plate. Even artificial sweeteners can signal hunger to your brain.

Keep on rocking! SSJ

• Hi Marie.  Wondered if you are taking the salt - it helps to take the edge off.  I have also been hungry before 1pm even though I'm eating plenty of fats too.  So what I did yesterday was to increase my fat intake to 90% of calories just for one day only.  I didn't need to eat at all after lunch yesterday and all the way through to this lunchtime.   I have not worked out this morning though, but I have been up and working since 5.30am.

Boom! That's how you do it. And good call about the salt. Ladies, when doing this make sure you're adding pink salt, magnesium and potassium. I wrote this a while ago to someone else about the "why" and importance of pink salt, mag and potass. Figure it's worth a cut and paste because it is so very crucial and critical, especially when teaching your body to become fat adapted:

FROM ANOTHER POST:

When you previously attempted "low carb" for two weeks, did you supplement with pink salt, magnesium and potassium? I realize salt is demonized in the modern diet but that's because our standard diet is based on refined carbohydrates and excess intake of other carbohydrates. When our bodies take in all this unnecessary crap it forces your kidneys to retain salt. A low carbohydrate diet makes your kidneys excrete sodium. Salt is absolutely essential for life and health. Use pink salt. Look at page 67 in the book for why. When your body becomes/and is keto-adapted it functions very differently. It prefers fat for fuel as it naturally should. We've metabolically deranged our brains and bodies into becoming sugar dependent. Your kidneys are no longer storing salt and water (bye bye bloat), hello constipation.  You need to replace everything your kidneys are purging with pink salt, magnesium and potassium. Take your magnesium and potassium at night.

• Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

Hey Sans-

No worries, lady! You got this. We're all here for ya, too. When it comes to veggies, the ones listed are the most optimal. If you're incorporating others (there's too many veggies to list) just be sure that they're not starchy, sugary or nightshades. Unsweetened chocolate is pure liquor. Try cacao powder and save chocolate for your carb re-feeds bc that day is a lot more lenient and won't take you down a bad road back to Nasty Habits-ville.

• edited October 2014

Wow Skye, at this rate you'll be writing another book just answering our questions! Good to know which dark chocolates to choose, I'm so happy that dark chocolate is a treat I will still be able to allow myself (in moderation and on my carb re-feed days of course). Marie, I have also made the mistake of putting collagen in my morning BP coffee, I'm going to start incorporating it later in the day instead.