No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Skye, thank you for taking the time to respond to us all.  It's great that we are all at similar stages and I'm really excited to read about how we all get on with this over the next few weeks.  Case Studies for your second book!

• Hi all!

I agree - the 10 day carb depletion is SO hard. You don't realize how many foods have carbs in them. I did print out a list of foods for my fridge and kept a copy on my cellphone for when I was grocery shopping.

Speaking of which - I think that's one of the biggest wake up calls I've had with the BP/Skye way of life. I am cooking a lot more. I am forcing myself to eat vegetables a lot more. It does take work but it's worth it.

With all of this, I think it's so important to go easy on ourselves. I had a slip up yesterday (damn you Trader Joe's and all your seasonal pumpkin treats) and I was getting really down about it - "I suck, I'll never stick to one thing and get it right." You know the drill. 

After reading what everyone posted here I don't feel so alone! We can do it!

And thank you whiteelephant921, I've been considering seeing an acupuncturist. Now is the time. I'm a big believer in it. Just need to save up some $$ : )

• Great questions, I admit I skimmed over the veg list in Skye's book and was prob going to eat beets carrots and red bell peppers on the carb depletion phase so I'm glad I know now! Would be good to know if they can beaten afterwards in a general paleo way.

Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

• HI Everyone.  I just wanted to say that I'm on day 7 and it is getting easier.  Woke up with a bit of a headache this morning but it went away after I had some salt water.  I'm resisting the scales as I'm feeling incredibly bloated and my waist measurement has not yet changed. However my face is looking less puffy so I know something is happening.  Thought I'd share my nutrition stats for the week:

Sat - Fat 100%

Sun - Fat 65% Carbs 9% Protein 23%

Mon - Fat 65% Carbs 8% Protein 18%

Tues - Fat 65% Carbs 10% Protein 24%

Weds - Fat 83% Carbs 9% Protein 8%

Thurs - Fat 79% Carbs 5% Protein 16%

Fri - Fat 78% Carbs 3% Protein 19%

Average carb intake was below 30g but highest carb intake of the week was 36g and ave daily calories for the week is in the order of 1400, but with a deficit as Saturday was a 500 cal fast day (sorry and old habit from 5:2 days).  I dropped tomatoes after Wednesday although I'm missing hot pico de gallo but I have had a couple of squares of 85% green and blacks dark chocolate on a couple of those days.  Hope this helps others who are giving it a go.

• Hey Karen

I am doing the salt in the morning...and all of the other recommended supplements. Today was day #5 for me and i was still hungry in the morning....and i think i put like 6 tbsp butter in my bpc!

Glad to hear u r on day 7 and it is getting easier. I have a party to go to on sunday and am sweating it. I know i will want to have a glass or two of wine. I have to try and stay strong.

I have been doing low carb for about a year now and i think i may have screwed up my adrenals from being so hard core about it. Never had read about women needed refeed days before finding this forum/skyes book. I am anxious to see if it makes a difference for me. I am not tracking my micros like you are. I guess i may have to if i dont get results. I am trying to stop being obsessive about my diet.

Of course i got my period yesterday, so that is probably contributing to my hunger. What did skye say about not starting this program when you got your period???? guess i was too anxious to get started....oh well.
  • Skye...thanks so much for answering my questions....and for basically telling me i can eat chicken wings!

• Hi all!

I agree - the 10 day carb depletion is SO hard. You don't realize how many foods have carbs in them. I did print out a list of foods for my fridge and kept a copy on my cellphone for when I was grocery shopping.

Speaking of which - I think that's one of the biggest wake up calls I've had with the BP/Skye way of life. I am cooking a lot more. I am forcing myself to eat vegetables a lot more. It does take work but it's worth it.

With all of this, I think it's so important to go easy on ourselves. I had a slip up yesterday (damn you Trader Joe's and all your seasonal pumpkin treats) and I was getting really down about it - "I suck, I'll never stick to one thing and get it right." You know the drill. 

After reading what everyone posted here I don't feel so alone! We can do it!

And thank you whiteelephant921, I've been considering seeing an acupuncturist. Now is the time. I'm a big believer in it. Just need to save up some $$ : )

Agreed Ellie, this is a big adjustment and besides cooking I find that I am paying closer attention to how I feel emotionally and physically...and what I choose to eat. There have been a few times when I felt deprived and almost said out loud "I can't eat anything now!" but instead am reminding myself that it's a shift in the way I look at my food and my health, I really do see that without being in the best health we can be so many other things in life suffer, our energy for our family & good friends, our ability to accomplish our goals in life and at work. It's so much more than losing that last 10 or 15 pounds...and I know I will be loving that day when I see my midsection looking toned again...because it will be the outward sign of the inner transformation.

Btw - I have also found acupuncture very helpful (and oddly relaxing...not what I expected for something that involved needles). I hope that when you go it works for you also. The only advice I would add is that (in my experience anyway) it's generally not a one session treatment, I found about 7 or 8 sessions spread out over about 6 mos was what it took for me, mine was a different issue though. I thought it was well worth it.

• Great questions, I admit I skimmed over the veg list in Skye's book and was prob going to eat beets carrots and red bell peppers on the carb depletion phase so I'm glad I know now! Would be good to know if they can beaten afterwards in a general paleo way.

Hey CocoaCat-

The goal here, simply put, is to get as much crap flushed out of our systems that we can in order to allow our bodies to begin burning fat efficiently. The nightshades are out because they cause inflammation and leaky gut in most people, which in turn leads to a whole host of other problems including holding on to weight and whacking out our fat burning hormones.

When you get to your goal body fat percentage and want to reintroduce them, experiment and see how you feel. Don't add back in a bunch of things at once but if you're going to start adding something like dairy back in, don't do it the same time you reintroduce legumes or else you won't really know what's causing what or what made you put on extra weight. I tried adding raw dairy back in and my skin immediately looked like someone baked a pizza on my face.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• edited October 2014

Agreed Ellie, this is a big adjustment and besides cooking I find that I am paying closer attention to how I feel emotionally and physically...and what I choose to eat. There have been a few times when I felt deprived and almost said out loud "I can't eat anything now!" but instead am reminding myself that it's a shift in the way I look at my food and my health, I really do see that without being in the best health we can be so many other things in life suffer, our energy for our family & good friends, our ability to accomplish our goals in life and at work. It's so much more than losing that last 10 or 15 pounds...and I know I will be loving that day when I see my midsection looking toned again...because it will be the outward sign of the inner transformation.

Btw - I have also found acupuncture very helpful (and oddly relaxing...not what I expected for something that involved needles). I hope that when you go it works for you also. The only advice I would add is that (in my experience anyway) it's generally not a one session treatment, I found about 7 or 8 sessions spread out over about 6 mos was what it took for me, mine was a different issue though. I thought it was well worth it.

Good for you, Sans!

Ladies let's talk about something. This isn't hard. War is hard. Living paycheck to paycheck is hard. Disease is hard. Raising children is hard. This is about accountability to ourselves and conscious choice-making. Can we make healthy decisions for ourselves, in defense of ourselves, or not?

I get emails sometimes from women who are upset that they're not seeing immediate results. Yet, they'll say, "well, I did have a drink here." Or, "I threw in some cookies there." Listen, when those things happen, you don't sit there and abuse yourself, you accept it happens and YOU MAKE A DECISION right then and there that it's not an option anymore. Just like sticking your hand in a boiling pot of water is not an option. Anything that goes in our bodies or on our skin will create a systemic reaction within us. Even the slightest bit of inflammatory food ingested -- one cookie, one glass of wine, one slice of pizza-- is going to stop the process in its tracks and you need to go back to Day One.

We've all done harder things than this. Most of the time it's because we didn't have an option. The proverbial rock and a hard place that forces us to do what's hard. Here, you're always going to have the option of choosing things that cause sickness and things that cause health. Temptations are everywhere and so is social pressure. It comes down to standing up for yourself and making good choices.

I'm being bluntly honest. We're all here because we care and we know a change needs to happen. So many of us are doing it and it is so awesome we have each other. Every single one of us can do this but we gotta be ruthlessly honest with ourselves. Honest, not harsh. Not beating ourselves up. Unless someone holds a gun to your head and forces a piece of cake into your face, there is no other excuse for "cheats" except that you made a choice to cheat. And if it happens, accept it and go back to day one. You can do it and your ability to make better choices will become a stronger and healthier habit. Not making the commitment 100% and then wondering why you're not getting results is like a crack addict who doesn't understand why he can't get clean when he keeps smoking crack.

There are times I've sh*t the bed nutrition-wise. And I go back to day one. Just like anyone else. It's easier than it was in the beginning because my body is much healthier and I've already proven to myself I can do it. So can you.

Make the healthiest choices available to you in the moment you find yourself and everything will fall into place. You only have this one body so treat this commitment like there is no other option.

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• edited October 2014

Hey Karen

I am doing the salt in the morning...and all of the other recommended supplements. Today was day #5 for me and i was still hungry in the morning....and i think i put like 6 tbsp butter in my bpc!

Glad to hear u r on day 7 and it is getting easier. I have a party to go to on sunday and am sweating it. I know i will want to have a glass or two of wine. I have to try and stay strong.

I have been doing low carb for about a year now and i think i may have screwed up my adrenals from being so hard core about it. Never had read about women needed refeed days before finding this forum/skyes book. I am anxious to see if it makes a difference for me. I am not tracking my micros like you are. I guess i may have to if i dont get results. I am trying to stop being obsessive about my diet.

Of course i got my period yesterday, so that is probably contributing to my hunger. What did skye say about not starting this program when you got your period???? guess i was too anxious to get started....oh well.

It's definitely a challenge when you get your period. Up your D-3, Omega 3 and fats during this time. Remember, it's all about choices and that comes squarely onto you. Conscious choice making. Take pause and consider what your goal truly is. Is it short-term satisfaction with wine and going back to day one? Or doing things that will result in you achieving your ultimate potential and highest self? Trust in those things that operate at a higher frequency for your highest good. How awesome it can really be is beyond our imagination when we cut the ropes to the things keeping us down.

• Thanks for the words of encouragement Skye.  I needed to hear that.  No question in my mind that I will stay on track tomorrow.  As you say....I got this!

• Powerful post there Skye, thanks! You are right, we have all done harder things in life than not eat chocolate or not drink wine. I had my first alcohol free weekend since who knows when this weekend in preparation for the 21 days ahead, and I survived it! Soda water and lime, and having a few laughs did the trick.
  • Sick!

So; I've been doing well (4 weeks in, clearer skin, some minimal fat loss but 2 cheats on a business trip mean...sigh).

Anyway - I've caught a cold from my son - scratchy throat, post nasal drip - any thoughts of things to do or not?

I did pull out my cocktail of echinacea- astragalus- mushrooms, zinc spray, vitamin C, elderberry syrup... I took all but the elderberry (high sugar) - but anything else to know / try / avoid?

Thanks!

• Sick!

So; I've been doing well (4 weeks in, clearer skin, some minimal fat loss but 2 cheats on a business trip mean...sigh).

Anyway - I've caught a cold from my son - scratchy throat, post nasal drip - any thoughts of things to do or not?

I did pull out my cocktail of echinacea- astragalus- mushrooms, zinc spray, vitamin C, elderberry syrup... I took all but the elderberry (high sugar) - but anything else to know / try / avoid?

Thanks!

krsherwood - sorry to hear you are under the weather, I'm sure most of us will have a cold or two at some point this year. You've already done many of the things I would do, I'll have to check the lablel of my elderberry syrup, it's probably high in sugars also (I guess that's part of being a syrup even without any added sugar). I often take something called Wellness Formula by BioAlign which I get from my local health food store, it has the echinacea, goldenseal, elderberry, astragalus etcetera in tablet form. I typically keep some in my kitchen cabinet so I can start taking it first thing when I notice something coming on. There is also a small company close to us here called Equinox Botanicals that sells a number of tinctures that I would recommend, I'm not sure if they are on Amazon but you could Google Equinox Botanicals. Other than that I'm a firm believer in chicken soup (or broth), staying well hydrated, and plenty of rest! My Great Grandmother was a Christian Scientist and while I don't follow Christian science she was one of the healthiest people I have ever known, she taught me that the simple home remedies are often the best, especially for those things we're going to recover from on our own in time. Hope you are feeling better soon! Take good care :)

• edited October 2014

My update...as of today I've lost 3 lbs :D probably all water weight but I'm super-stoked because this is working for me just as you've described Skye! Nothing else has worked for weight loss since my late 40's so I am SO happy that my body is responding. I have also discovered my inner carnivore! We made some carne asada this weekend (I say we because I seasoned the meat and fixed all the BP side-dishes and my hubby grilled the meat) the steak came from a local farm. It was soooo good I think I ate a pound of steak all by myself, good thing I bought a lot of it :) needless to say, there were no leftovers! I have also rediscovered full-fat (canned) coconut milk which is great warmed with half regular coconut milk (from the carton) spices, a little BP collagen and a little cacao and stevia right before 9 pm. I have had moments of hunger but really not too much, if I get hungry before dinner I snack on olives...I stocked up at the olive bar during my last grocery shopping trip since that was a Skye-approved snack. Well, back to my next cup of BP coffee, Cheers all  :)