No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Thanks sanssoucish, its a habit I need to build on with the water but very much worth it.  In relation to chocolate I used to eat mostly 70% but had some 90% lindt last night and I am totally sold on it! So yep bring on the chocolate! 

Awesome CocoaCat! It's great to hear about your progress! It's amazing how satisfying water can be instead of popcorn and soda once you see the results - right!? If you don't mind me chipping in my 2 cents I would say no to the alcohol...have a piece of super-dark chocolate instead (assuming you're a chocolate lover) and s-a-v-o-r that chocolate! A bite of dark chocolate has become my new treat on this plan...yum :D

Karen G, well done on the 1.5% loss in bf, that is damn good in 21 days!  I understand your disappointment with the weight number, I know after 21 days off the seriously hard work you have been doing I would probably feel the same but I would say theres a lot more going on in the inside that can't be measured. Its been tough I agree, never tried anything like this before, avoiding nightshade veg, loading up on fat etc. One thing I do miss sometimes is having actual food in the morning, I would love some scrambled eggs and bacon! I will probably do the protocol again a couple more times before my big holiday end of January, but will do an assessment at the end of the 21 days.   

One month since I started BP and just over 21 days since I started Skye's protocol.  The net result is 1lb loss and 1.5% body fat.  To say I'm gutted on the weight loss front is an understatement, but I am pleased with the BF result.  Going to give it another month but so far it is as much of a grind as any other regime.

• Hi Parker. I'm 142lbs and BMI is 'overweight' I'm 5.3" with a 36% BF. I'm 52 in a couple of weeks and post menopausal, I have found it really hard over the last few years and marvel that people can lose so much so quickly but for me I just seem to nudge along. If I could shed 20lbs and 10% BF I'd be ecstatic but somehow that seems unlikely. I wonder if this is ok for young guys but not old women!
  • Have you had your Thyroid health checked?  Even a moderate change in Thyroid function can affect your ability to lose weight.  Despite your pace of weight loss, I think you're in the right place for healthy advice.  As long as you're not battling hunger and you are sleeping well, you've got nothing to lose... but weight.  Try to focus on what you want rather than what you don't want.  Remember that it has likely taken you years to get where you are presently at and that the slower you lose the more permanent the weight loss will be. 

• Not for some time Parker and it was normal although I know that people who do have issues yet their readings are normal. And even it it was off, what would I do? I'm not sure about taking meds...

• Hi Parker. I'm 142lbs and BMI is 'overweight' I'm 5.3" with a 36% BF. I'm 52 in a couple of weeks and post menopausal, I have found it really hard over the last few years and marvel that people can lose so much so quickly but for me I just seem to nudge along. If I could shed 20lbs and 10% BF I'd be ecstatic but somehow that seems unlikely. I wonder if this is ok for young guys but not old women!

Hey Karen - I know the weight lost in 21 days was a bit underwhelming but since you lost 1.5% bf you probably put on some muscle which will help you keep burning off the fat.

You have to do what feels most right to you, you know your own body better than anyone else does. I wonder if it would be worthwhile for you to look at Dr Sara Gottfried's info re, hormones and their effect on weight etc. I know I didn't lose anything when I did her detox but I think my hormones only needed a minor tweak and there were other confounding factors for me - mostly unidentified food sensitivities. I know she did at least one podcast w/ Dave A. and she also published "the Hormone Cure", she has another book coming out soon too. Dr. Sara has some suggestions re. supplements and other non-prescription interventions to help resolve hormonal issues. I like her approach also, basically it's to try adjusting diet first, then try targeted herbs and supplements if diet doesn't quite get you the results, and the choice of last resort is meds. Are there any functional medicine doctors or practitioners in your area? It might be worth seeing one if you can, they may be more helpful in sorting this out than an allopathic physician.

I'm not in exactly the same circumstances as you are, but close...I'm 53, have had the same damn 10 - 15 lbs of spare tire around my middle for the past 8 years or so (before that typically had a relatively easy time losing weight if I really set my mind to it...doing all the wrong things of course - limiting food intake a bit and exercising a lot). I'm not in menopause...still in peri-menopause (will those dang periods EVER stop!!!???). For the past 8ish years I have been trying to lose this weight to no avail until trying this plan, so I can relate to your frustration. Something will work for you though! There is something still getting in your way, a food sensitivity, a hormone issue, I don't know what it is but once that roadblock is removed you will lose that extra weight/bodyfat!

• Never wish for the damn periods to stop.  That is what's keeping your youth.  I'm in the same boat with weight at 57, otherwise I'm incredibly healthy.  The key is having a peaceful relationship with food and yourself.  Exercise is great in moderation otherwise it can interefere with Thyroid function. 

• Karen GKaren G
    edited November 2014

Thanks everyone.  I'm hoping my saliva test results will come through this week which might give some clues.  Will let you know.   I also think I have an egg sensitivity because my heart races like mad for a few hours after I have eaten them.  I remember years ago being tested and it came up and completely forgot about it.  Only now because I'm eating alot of them right now did it occur to me that I might have a problem.  So going to drop the eggs for a few weeks and see what happens. 

• I wouldn't mind getting a food tolerance test done aswell, will have to see what's available in sydney. Just wouldn't know where you are being hampered health wise without it. And like you Karen kinda feeling a bit funny after an omelette type meal, just doesn't sit right afterwards lately.

I'm a little confused with the 21 day program, I read in some places in the book the carb depletion is 1-10 which makes me think the carb refeed is on the 11th day (which is what I did) and then elsewhere in the book it looks like the 10 day is the refeed day. Anywho now I'm wondering about the every 3 days carb refeed, is that on the 3rd day or the day after, can anyone clarify for me? Cheers

• I wouldn't mind getting a food tolerance test done aswell, will have to see what's available in sydney. Just wouldn't know where you are being hampered health wise without it. And like you Karen kinda feeling a bit funny after an omelette type meal, just doesn't sit right afterwards lately.

I'm a little confused with the 21 day program, I read in some places in the book the carb depletion is 1-10 which makes me think the carb refeed is on the 11th day (which is what I did) and then elsewhere in the book it looks like the 10 day is the refeed day. Anywho now I'm wondering about the every 3 days carb refeed, is that on the 3rd day or the day after, can anyone clarify for me? Cheers

• I don't understand where 21 days comes from. It's 10 days of depletion. Refeed day 11. After that every 4th day, ie 3 clear days
  • edited November 2014

Thanks Karen.  Skyes program as I read it is done over 21 days, 10 days of depletion and then the carb refeeds after every 3 days until the end of the 21 days. To continue with fat loss you can then restart the 21 days program, starting with another 10 day carb depletion as I understand it.  

• Karen.  You're doing the right thing by paying attention to how foods affect your body.  I tried everything under the sun to feel better after spending over 30 years being tired for no apparent reason.  This finally led me to thyroid meds and I haven't looked back.  I have energy from dawn til dusk as opposed to sleeping most of the day and all night to boot.  Low functioning thyroid leads to both liver and heart suffering, but I have been able with the meds and proper diet to recover what I lost during those years of imbalance.  The system made me a "number" and refused to address my symptoms and that was unacceptable to me.  Cold hands, feet and nose would be the easiet indicators of hypothyroidism.  Constipation, slow heart rate, low blood pressure and dry skin were also very present in my case.  I had to think outside the box, so to speak, buying my meds from Mexico until I could establish that this was the answer.  Once I did, I took my findings to a local doctor who gladly helped me with a prescription of my own.  I told him I wasn't there to blame but to get the proper help I needed to feel well. 

• Thanks Karen.  Skyes program as I read it is done over 21 days, 10 days of depletion and then the carb refeeds after every 3 days until the end of the 21 days. To continue with fat loss you can then restart the 21 days program, starting with another 10 day carb depletion as I understand it.  

Oh I didn't get that.  Which means I should do a new 10 day cycle then. Then if I only lose another pound, it really will be a drag, but if I lose another 1.5% of BF then that will be the ultimate test.  

• What are the ten days of depletion and their purpose?

• edited November 2014

CocoaCat - I didn't go back and re-check Skye's book to make sure I did it correctly...but what I did was carb re-feed on day 10 (just increased carbs with dinner - after working out somewhere around 4 pm) and then have been doing my carb re-feeds every 3 to 4 days since then. It works best for my schedule if I plan the HIIT workout and re-feed on Wednesdays and Saturdays so that's what I've been doing. I plan to adjust a bit beginning the week before Thanksgiving so I can make Thanksgiving a re-feed day. Yes, that does mean I will be doing my workout on Thanksgiving also. I have the re-feeds/HIIT workout days on my calendar so I can adjust for special occasions if I want to have some extra carbs without a side of guilt ;)

Parker - you are right (sigh) I know still having periods is a good thing...just inconvenient! At least I don't have the horrible periods I used to have when I was younger, peri-menopause has been much better than that so far.

Karen - you may be on to something with the egg sensitivity! I think increased heart rate is one of the signs of a food sensitivity. I hope eliminating them gets you the results you're looking for :)

• I read somewhere you can test via pulse rate and that eggs and egg whites should be tested separately.  Eggs whites often being the culprit. I certainly have a problem as my pulse rate goes crazy.

• Thanks sanssoucish I checked earlier and the book is a little bit confusing, I took the 10 day carb depletion to mean 10 days in its entirety but you are right when I looked closer it said eat safe starches on day 10. Constructive criticism here Skye, maybe it should be called the 9 day carb depletion?! :)  Maybe its just me reading it on kindle on the iphone meant I wasn't picking up everything I normally would on a PC screen. 

• I also understood day ten to be the start of mid afternoon exercise and carb refeed. 

• After reading and re reading I am still not clear if exercise is part of the ten day depletion phase.  From what I see, it looks like day ten is the first day of exercise followed by a refeed.  Is this correct?

• That is how I understood it Parker.

• Thanks.  Had a long walk today and enjoyed the beautiful weather but am looking forward to these workouts. 

• TMI alert! Into my third week, 21 days up on Monday. Feel ok but kinda worried about the lack of 'movement' IYKWIM, sorry if it's too TMI but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing same. It seems to be every 2nd to 3rd rather than daily. Maybe I should be eating more fat or drinking more water??
  • I'm having that problem too.  Magnesium usually really helps me with that, but I think the charcoal can cause constipation.  

• CocoaCat & spbbb - me too, I started drinking 1 T of psyllium fiber in water with one of my meals. Kind of bummed to have to waste some carb intake on psyllium fiber but I also need to go! I'm also taking 500 mg of magnesium every evening, but I've done that for years so that's not new. I've also tried to pay attention to my water intake. 

• Thanks for chiming in ladies, I'm not alone!

spbb im not using either of those supps yet but was considering adding magnesium soon so can see if that helps.

Sansoucish I can understand not wanting to use your carbs in that way too, but I agree something needs to be done! Coffee usually is a good stimulator normally for me so maybe I should start with that without the butter and see how that goes.
  • PARKERPARKER
    edited November 2014

Eat more veggies.  Drinking enough water is good, but drinking too much water can actually dehydrate you so be careful.  The kidneys only handle 5oz per 30 minutes so sipping regularly is the best route.  If you're peeing clear, then you've overdone water.   The salt water in the morning should encourage more moisture to be retained in the bowel.  Cascara sagrada or even a stool softener like senna taken in a small dose might be something to try later in the day. 

• edited November 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions Parker, things took care of themselves today when I had the coffee first on its own and let my body wake up.

I then decided to not have the BP coffee at all this morning because I was feeling a bit queasy, I just had some scrambled eggs and free range bacon. The first time I haven't had the BP coffee during the 21 days.

I finish the 21 days on Monday and I'm trying to stay on track, I'm leaning a bit too much on the dark chocolate and BP ice cream in the evening. Once the chocolate comes into the house it gets eaten until it's gone and I made the mistake of buying two bars:( I've learned my lesson.

I'm still off alcohol which is amazing for me, I have not had such a long drink free period in a long time. I'm going to continue as long as I can until mid December til New Years and then off again for January. Thats the plan anyway!
  • Adding the psyllium husk has done the trick for me so far, I only use senna or cascara as a last resort because I don't want to become dependent on anything like that. Thanks for the tip about the water Parker, I am normally more of a sipper than a guzzler so I'm probably drinking slowly enough.

I can relate to your struggle with the chocolate and ice cream CocoaCat! This is why I haven't even allowed myself to make the BP ice cream yet. The good thing is I seem to be less hungry after dinner than I was before I started this plan...I probably wasn't getting enough fat in my diet before. So I have found that I'm less likely to have killer cravings for sweets or chocolate after meals, thank goodness, because evening snacking was one of my weaknesses before discovering the BP/fat-burning strategy.

• Sleep has been a bit disturbed so I'm going to have coffee only until 10am and hopefully I can hang on until 1pm to eat lunch.  Probably will be soooo... hungry that I'd eat the ass end of a skunk by then!  I think the charcoal at 11am will actually tide me over.  I'm enjoying the coconut milk/egg smoothie Skye mentioned, instead of ice cream.  A few squares of good quality of dark chocolate isn't going to mess with anything, as far as I'm concerned.  Cheers to great health. 

• Hey Everybody-

Hope you all are kicking ass on your journeys to health and overall Wonder Woman-ness. Being unplugged for everything but the absolute necessaries has been GLORIOUS. Try it if/when you can. Or, at least, shut things off at a certain time of day and realize what emails/calls/texts/social media, etc are priorities and which are distractions.

I haven't had a chance to see what ya'll have been up to but it does appear you're rocking the party. I was just having a convo with a friend (face to face!) and she brought this line up. It really nails it:

If nutrition is king, sleep is queen.

Healthy, strong bodies are made in the kitchen. High fat, moderate protein, low carb. Nutrition first. Sleep second. Exercise third. Catch up with you all soon!

SSJ

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.