No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Ok, having some strange health episodes bumped me off track and so I am back to day 2. We obviously aren't mean to track calories doing this, but - to Karen G - I noticed you said you averaged 1400 calories a day, and what struck me as peculiar was not that you are doing this, but that no one said that this is too few calories... is it?? I know its not something to consciously track but I have been noticing that I feel like I struggle to stay above 1200 calories - i do it, but im often just dousing everything in fat and eating when im not hungry. I have been struggling with chronic fatigue, and when you wake up at noon and go to bed by 11 its HARD to eat enough! I am prone to under eating already, and if i listened to my body I fear I would become calorie deficient quickly. But i also understand that to a degree calories do matter, and I was wondering if anyone had a bottom line of calories to hit - most diets prescribe a minimum of 1200 but for our purposes that still seems too low - doesnt it? I was thinking 1600 - 1800 an appropriate range - i am 5 4 - does that seem okay? 

also, I mentioned to my doctor - who studied with atkins, and is pro low carb - that I dont get 100 g protein a day and she thought that was pretty bad. opinions? what do you guys think? I dont understand how to hit that number when i cant eat dairy or eggs, especially with the intermittent fasting format of eating. its just SO much MEAT!

sanssoucish - make sure that you take some hip/thigh/bust/arm measurements! the scale is not your friend for reliable feedback...

Marie - I was wondering if you are doing anything other than Skye's protocol for your adrenals. I just got some adrenal testing back and found that my cortisol was way up. have you found relief from anything in particular? have you seen any improvement so far? My doctor has me taking adaptogens like ashwaganda and a few other things, and i am noticing some relief already. 

stay strong ladies :)

• skye - I have been unable to workout (I still get on a powerplate for fifteen minutes and walk at least 1 mile - neither for weight loss, but still movement)

I am on day 2 of carb depletion and not sure I will be able to workout for a bit. If not engaged in any form of strength training during the initial ten days, do i extend the carb depletion or will ten days still suffice? Can i skip the initial workout, and workout on days 5 and ten? resuming the plan as normal? 

Thanks are all the awesome words of wisdom and encouragement, skye! 

• Ok, having some strange health episodes bumped me off track and so I am back to day 2. We obviously aren't mean to track calories doing this, but - to Karen G - I noticed you said you averaged 1400 calories a day, and what struck me as peculiar was not that you are doing this, but that no one said that this is too few calories... is it?? I know its not something to consciously track but I have been noticing that I feel like I struggle to stay above 1200 calories - i do it, but im often just dousing everything in fat and eating when im not hungry. I have been struggling with chronic fatigue, and when you wake up at noon and go to bed by 11 its HARD to eat enough! I am prone to under eating already, and if i listened to my body I fear I would become calorie deficient quickly. But i also understand that to a degree calories do matter, and I was wondering if anyone had a bottom line of calories to hit - most diets prescribe a minimum of 1200 but for our purposes that still seems too low - doesnt it? I was thinking 1600 - 1800 an appropriate range - i am 5 4 - does that seem okay? 

also, I mentioned to my doctor - who studied with atkins, and is pro low carb - that I dont get 100 g protein a day and she thought that was pretty bad. opinions? what do you guys think? I dont understand how to hit that number when i cant eat dairy or eggs, especially with the intermittent fasting format of eating. its just SO much MEAT!

sanssoucish - make sure that you take some hip/thigh/bust/arm measurements! the scale is not your friend for reliable feedback...

Marie - I was wondering if you are doing anything other than Skye's protocol for your adrenals. I just got some adrenal testing back and found that my cortisol was way up. have you found relief from anything in particular? have you seen any improvement so far? My doctor has me taking adaptogens like ashwaganda and a few other things, and i am noticing some relief already. 

• Hello Skye!

A question:

I have been fairly strictly BP for many months.  Totally fat adapted, mostly in ketosis, and doing well.  The one thing that often slips due to time and travel is my work outs.  For example, today I was able to go to Pilates class, and do a little -- but I wouldn't consider it a 'high intensity' work out.  Still, should I re-feed on such days, but a little bit?  Like having a little carbs, but not enough to kick me out of ketosis?  Does that do any good?  Like half a sweet potato or a little bit of squash, or a touch of white-rice sushi?  Would that do anything for leptin levels and for spiking insulin, or are re-feeds always to be a big affair?  Or, when I haven't had a full-on intense work out, should I just not re-feed at all but just have some protein?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Whiteelephant921....no, i havent done anything more than skyes basical protocol at this point. If i run into roadblocks, i will likely try some kind of adrenal support supplement.

I also have a question about "counting". Not so much about counting calories, but whethwr or not i should be tracking carbohydrate grams. In skye book it says if you go over 30 grams of carbs on non refeeding days, then u need to start back at day #1. But how would i know if i went over 30 carb grams if i am not counting anything? Is it just assumed that if you stick to the plans food choices and dont deviate, then it would be hard to go over 30 grams of carbs per day? And is that net carbs or not ? I think on days when i eat an avocado and a protein shake with cacao powder and eat lots of veggies, that i could be over 30 carbs....especially if not talking net carbs.

Anyway...my update is that i am still hungry often. It is day 8 for me. Weighed myself today and no weight loss. Havent measured body fat. Will stay the course!
  • Good question Marie...I haven't been counting carbs either, and I do like my veggies so I hope I'm not exceeding 30 grams. I am eating a lot more meat, protein and fat than I normally do and so far it does seem to be working. I need to find a reliable way to measure my body fat since that's the number that's most important to me...I may need to buy a scale that also measures body fat. 

whiteelephant 921 - have you tried meeting some of your calorie needs with shakes including collagen powder or whey powder? That might help make it easier to get up to the calories your doctor is recommending for you

White elephant.  You have to count if you want to know how many carbs you are eating . I use Myfitnesspal.  To calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), I use the Miffin St. Jeor formula http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html.  TDEE takes into account your level of activity.  I'm short and my TDEE is only 1350, so I don't have much room to slip and it is easy to let an extra 200 calories in without noticing.  However what I can tell you is that with IF rather than 5:2 (which is what I was doing before), I'm eating about 1000 calories more per week yet I'm losing more, albeit slowly.  Not sure I can get my head around that yet, but there you go.

On protein intake, there are alot of different calculations depending on your activity level, ie the more muscle you are trying to build, the more protein.  The one I have seen quoted most is 0.8g per kg of body weight to 1.5g per kg if you are very fit.  Others calculate it based on lean body mass and not everyone will know that number.

I see you asked Marie about adrenals.  I have to say that pink salt seems to be working very well for me.  It's now part of my daily routine and it is helping to keep things moving.....  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Small update from me.  It's day 10, but I can't carb re-feed yet because I have had a couple of days over 30g of carbs and one glass of wine, so I need to go all the way to Sunday.   I have lost two pounds in 7 days (I didn't weigh until last Weds).  I'm ok with that because I'm a slow loser, post menopausal and this is a faster rate than fasting.  There has been no change in my BF %. Ave calories 1255, just slightly under my TDEE ave fat 107g, ave protein 49g and ave carbs 22g.  

• Powerful post there Skye, thanks! You are right, we have all done harder things in life than not eat chocolate or not drink wine. I had my first alcohol free weekend since who knows when this weekend in preparation for the 21 days ahead, and I survived it! Soda water and lime, and having a few laughs did the trick.

Good for you, Cocoa! So proud of you! We gotta stand up for our best selves first before we think anyone or anything else in the world's going to do it for us! Way to be an advocate for yourself! Boom!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• edited October 2014

Hey gang-

I'm trying to catch up with all the posts but will be on a bit of travel and digital detoxing. We all gotta figure out what works best for us but please remember that as far as my method goes (and yours may be different and work for you) there is NO CALORIE COUNTING. Let's keep this as simple and sustainable as possible because it is. Stick to the foods listed and your body will recalibrate. Keep it high fat, moderate protein and minimal carbs. I feel like we're getting hung up on numbers. 30g of carbs is a ballpark. How we respond to net carbs is different for all of us and where we are healthwise.

ABOUT CALORIE RESTRICTING AND CALORIE COUNTING

Remember the first goal is to get our systems healthy and out of metabolic derangement. Stick to the foods listed and protocol and everything else will follow. Calorie (read: nutrient) restriction throws your hormones into further derangement for the long term. It also raises cortisol levels causing you to hang onto, and gain weight. When you do this, you are sending a message to your body to preserve body fat. Again, you need to figure out what works for you. Calorie restriction/calorie counting will not help you achieve optimal results here. A great book to check out about the foggy science of calorie counting is aptly titled  The Calorie Myth  by Jonathan Bailor.

John Kiefer also writes:

The age old practice of counting calories seems to be a veritable rite of passage for those serious about weight loss. But we're not here to simply lose weight; we're here to strip fat, and like many other accepted norms, we're casting aside the ritual of calorie counting. Ignoring the establishment is not done lightly: the idea behind counting calories actually violates the laws of physics.

Keeping an accurate count of daily calories makes sense only if the body gets the same amount of energy from 100 calories of carbohydrates as 100 calories of fat as 100 calories of protein. But it doesn't. Because food requires energy to process, some of the ingested calories get wasted. Eating 100 calories of fat leaves your body with only 97 calories by the time it's finished processing; 100 carb calories leaves the body with 93 calories to use; 100 calories of protein gives the body only 70 calories. For perspective, two meals, one high in carbs and the other high in protein, could both contain 340 calories according to labels. As far as the body's concerned, the high carb meal delivers 316 calories, but the high protein meal only makes 238 calories available.

Even if you want to go through the calculations, making all the necessary adjustments for each nutrient, your arithmetic won't always add up. Not only do different nutrients provide differing calories from those listed on labels, sometimes the same nutrient can provide differing calorie counts. While in many situations fat only supplies 9 calories per gram, there are times when fat supplies up to 11 calories per gram. Just like a car achieving 18 mpg for in town driving and 26 mpg highway driving, the body runs more efficiently at times and gets more distance out of food. Unfortunately, there's no practical way of knowing when your body's being more efficient.

The human body is just too adaptive, too efficient and too unpredictable to count calorie usage accurately. It's extremely naive to believe that counting numbers on the back of a cereal box is enough to predict how one of the most complex machines in the world is going to respond - although many health and nutrition experts still insist.

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Small update from me.  It's day 10, but I can't carb re-feed yet because I have had a couple of days over 30g of carbs and one glass of wine, so I need to go all the way to Sunday.   I have lost two pounds in 7 days (I didn't weigh until last Weds).  I'm ok with that because I'm a slow loser, post menopausal and this is a faster rate than fasting.  There has been no change in my BF %. Ave calories 1255, just slightly under my TDEE ave fat 107g, ave protein 49g and ave carbs 22g.  

that's great Karen.  Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  I think 2 lbs in a week is fantastic!  

• skye - I have been unable to workout (I still get on a powerplate for fifteen minutes and walk at least 1 mile - neither for weight loss, but still movement)

I am on day 2 of carb depletion and not sure I will be able to workout for a bit. If not engaged in any form of strength training during the initial ten days, do i extend the carb depletion or will ten days still suffice? Can i skip the initial workout, and workout on days 5 and ten? resuming the plan as normal? 

Thanks are all the awesome words of wisdom and encouragement, skye! 

Don't worry about the exercise. Do it when your body's recovered. Keep your food intake clean. You got this!

• Small update from me.  It's day 10, but I can't carb re-feed yet because I have had a couple of days over 30g of carbs and one glass of wine, so I need to go all the way to Sunday.   I have lost two pounds in 7 days (I didn't weigh until last Weds).  I'm ok with that because I'm a slow loser, post menopausal and this is a faster rate than fasting.  There has been no change in my BF %. Ave calories 1255, just slightly under my TDEE ave fat 107g, ave protein 49g and ave carbs 22g.  

Great work, Karen! As you already know, the first part of weight loss will be the water weight. And that's nothing to shirk at because it's the first thing that needs to happen and lets you know the carb depletion is working. The fat burning will commence thereafter as long as you stay 100% committed to the plan. I am a little concerned you're not getting enough to eat. I absolutely put no stock in calories but that's a pretty low number. You know what's best for you. Keep on rocking.

• Thanks Skye.  I'm eating more that I normally do - this is alot for me.  I read your post on calories and whilst I do agree, to begin with if we are to know what 30g of carbs looks then surely we have to count at least at the beginning until we get the hang of it!  Am I missing something?  You seem quite strict on 30g of carbs or less during the first 10 days so therefore you have to count.

• Yes, but your cal total is based on if you are just lying still 24hrs/day which you aren't, just by looking at your macro totals you run dangerously close to losing muscle more than fat, you may become smaller but it's "skinny fat", you could offset this by raising your protein to at least maintain muscle tissue and drive metabolism.

Thanks Jason.  It's a TDEE calc not a BMR calc (which is lower).  Am I misunderstanding you?