No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• edited November 2014

@Skye - I'd love to do a Challenge & agree post-holidays is best (with lots of personal reminders *during* holidays per @sansosoush (sp?) to not fall off the wagon!)

Question: how long does it take / did it take you @Skye & everyone, to determine if a new protocol / food / supplement was working?

I ask bc I need to start over (definitely fell off the protocol @ a ice cream bar party; but at least not w alcohol - which for me is an improvement). The protocol is DEFINITELY working for me mentally & physically, overall - yay :smile:

I just need to tweak for (1) Travel (do I go vegan + supplements on business trips to avoid the crap in conventional meat/food I get on business trips? Pack every.single.meal (impossible)? Exercise more...? & (2) determine what's working well about the protocol to do more of that, & maybe reduce things like Vit A; which I hear too much of is a bad thing (???) - in general try to reduce any excess supplements my body and wallet don't need :smile:

Thoughts welcome!

Hey Kate! That is FANTASTIC! So glad you're gonna be part of the challenge, too. With food, I can pretty much tell right away. I mentioned in another post the other day that I had cheese recently and instantly broke out in hives. Once I completely rid my system of inflammatories and toxins, tuning into my body became much easier. Takes a little time. TMI alert. When I first started taking the soil-based probiotic, for about two days it was nothing but cleaning the pipes if you know what I mean. Then that leveled out. I do notice bloat and feeling lethargic when I run out or forget them on trips. Here's what I just wrote to Sans as she quoted your questions on travel:

That is awesome, Sans! Great work. I love the feeling after really pushing myself hard. They're short workouts but they are not easy. I take Epic bars with me everywhere I go. They are stashed in my glove compartment, backpacks, computer bag, everywhere. I've noticed a lot of similar products coming out so give those a shot. If you have a blender bottle you can make a protein shake with water just about anywhere you go.

I got on Facebook and realized it's even more of a toxic timesuck and the target marketing more insidious. I could feel my energy shifting (and my time wasting). I realize it's a useful tool to stay in touch with family and friends but one of my goals right now is getting back to authentic relationships/interactions. So, I did not defriend you, I defriended Facebook. :mrgreen:  I'm going to create a private site for the one-on-one fat burn challenge.

As far as vitamins go, as women I think we should all be taking D3, K-2, B, C (every other day if ya want), Omega 3's. For D3 take 1000 IU for every 25lbs of overall bodyweight. It's super important now that we get our "sunshine" pill with this time change.

Way to kick ass, Kate. Rockstar!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hey Gang-

Have any of you tried Rishi Turmeric Ginger tea? It is soooooooooooooooo darn good. Caffeine free. The benefits of turmeric and ginger are countless but man, this is a delicious treat. If you're looking for something yummy and filling but aren't quite ready to eat and it's past coffee time, brew some of that up and add MCT, butter and a dash of stevia (if you like it) just as you would the coffee.

Thank me later.

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Yes, the toxic time wasting vortex that is facebook has already eaten too many brain cells and hours for any of us (probably) who have been lured in. If distant family and friends weren't on there there would be no reason to waste that time!

I did look up the Epic bars (now I know what you guys are talking about!) and looked up the Rishi tumeric ginger tea - definitely putting that tea on my next amazon order, and am going to look for the bars during my next trip to civilization...

Welcome Musicmama :) I usually mix collagen in warm coconut milk (usually with a bit of cacao powder and stevia) before bed and haven't noticed any nausea, it's not an every night thing for me though. Would it help to mix it in some broth perhaps? The HCL sounds like a good idea also.

Stay strong and take care y'all :)

• I'm back in England for a week and have stopped the protocol.  I have been extremely disillusioned because I only lost one pound during one whole month yet I stuck with it religiously.  So this is my third day of eating carbs and I will start the 10 days anew tomorrow.

Wow!  Sorry to hear about that.  One pound total? Or one pound after the water weight/glycogen stores were depleted?  That must be incredibly frustrating.  Did you feel any difference in your energy level? Any other differences?  Hope your next 10 day set goes well.

Mary

• Hi Everyone.  Just thought I'd post an update.  I had my saliva profile back yesterday.  The dhea-s and cortisol ratio is interesting in that dhea-s is higher than normal but cortisol is very low indeed.  I know there are threads on the forum about both but yet to find someone with this combo, so any insight welcome.   This might prove useful insight as to why my loss is slower than average.  However I'm not sure that being VLC is helpful and I might be better off eating more safe starches and protein in the morning to give my adrenals a bit more help.  I was not going to bother with the collagen, but it could be helpful for me.

Any insights from fellow fasters helpful.  Do you think I should continue bulletproof IF or is it too stressful?

•  Wow!  Sorry to hear about that.  One pound total? Or one pound after the water weight/glycogen stores were depleted?  That must be incredibly frustrating.  Did you feel any difference in your energy level? Any other differences?  Hope your next 10 day set goes well.

Mary

One pound total Mary!  To be honest I felt very mixed with an extremely rapid heartbeat, hence me getting saliva tests done.  Brain fog improved no end though.  See other comment.

• Go to podcast #157 where Dave interviewed Ben Lynch.  When things go wrong on a deeper level ....diet alone is not going to work. 

• edited November 2014

Welcome Mary & Hello all :)

I am all for the holiday accountability and challenge - that is a great idea. I just ordered my local, free range, organic turkey and paid my deposit. The unlucky bird will be fresh and ready to pick up a couple days before Thanksgiving so I know my bird will be about as BP as I can get without going out and shooting one myself ;)

Sans, about that turkey: I obtained one of those three years ago and, while conceptually healthy and delicious, it was definitely not what my family was used to. It looked like it could have won the Boston Marathon, so streamlined and lean was it. Even now, I'm getting ribbed about it. Luckily, I was on jury duty the week before Thanksgiving that year, sequestered with several foodies who beseeched me to brine the thing first before cooking it. I'm fortunate to have taken their advice. Maybe do it in pink salt?!! Good luck!

• Hi Everyone.  Just thought I'd post an update.  I had my saliva profile back yesterday.  The dhea-s and cortisol ratio is interesting in that dhea-s is higher than normal but cortisol is very low indeed.  I know there are threads on the forum about both but yet to find someone with this combo, so any insight welcome.   This might prove useful insight as to why my loss is slower than average.  However I'm not sure that being VLC is helpful and I might be better off eating more safe starches and protein in the morning to give my adrenals a bit more help.  I was not going to bother with the collagen, but it could be helpful for me.

Any insights from fellow fasters helpful.  Do you think I should continue bulletproof IF or is it too stressful?

Surely there is no "one size fits all."  I think the central idea of biohacking is to see what optimizes YOUR body/health/energy/mind.  No idea what to say about the saliva tests.  Keep us posted!

• Karen, if you're not sure VLC is the right path for you, why re-start the 10-day depletion? Could you just keep going with the re-feeds and see how you do over the next few weeks? 

There were a bunch of posts mid-thread about keeping all of this on a 21-day cycle, which is not the impression I got from the book (I thought you would only re-do the 10-day depletion if you had starches part-way through, or if - later - you needed a way to get back on track). If we keep repeating all of this is as a 21-day cycle with a 10-day depletion repeated over and over, it seems much harder to sustain both practically and physically. 

Thanks, Sans and Skye for the welcome and the collagen ideas. I'll experiment and report back.

• I was wondering that too.  It seemed to me that you only do the 10 day depletion when starting the program.  Is that wrong?

• I was wondering that too.  It seemed to me that you only do the 10 day depletion when starting the program.  Is that wrong?

I understood from the book that you just do the 10 day depletion once, but then I got led astray on the thread here!  To be honest I don't want to go back to it as I didn't feel great.  I'd sooner eat safe starches and take it more gradually.

• edited November 2014

I have no idea where the idea of restarting the program every 21 days began. Twenty-one days is the minimum - on average - it takes humans to develop new habits. I recommend trying it for at least 21 days. However, for most of us it's going to take more than three weeks to get to our goal body fat percentage and heal our bodies. Again, scale weight is arbitrary. A loss of 1.5% bodyfat in a month is AWESOME. I could give two tears in a bucket about weight as long as my body fat is a healthy percentage and where I want it to be.

Carb deplete the first ten days. After that, refeed every few days. If you ingest carbs, gluten, dairy, sugar, alcohol, legumes, unhealthy fats, go back to day one to get the best possible results. Keep going until you've reached your goals. Give yourself a break every four to six months. Those of us with higher bodyfat (25%+) and bigger sugar addictions (among other things) might take a bit longer. We didn't destroy our bodies in three weeks and we're not going to get to optimal health in three weeks, however; it will give you a full head of steam and hopefully create lifelong habits to keep you rocking til you're in a rocking chair. Bad joke.

I am still working out the logistics/legalities of the 2015 Fat Burning Machine challenge. Will post when ready. So far, my team and I are thinking a $1000 (one thousand!) grand prize for our winner who chooses to do the one-on-one personal coaching. We're working out that program and I'm sooo excited about the journey we're going to take physically, emotionally, mentally to become badass mamma jammas! I'll be in touch personally to those of you who have emailed me about the challenge. We have a few spots left. Can't wait. You ladies are awesome and inspiring!

• Does supplementing with creatine fit into the protocol? In the past I have responded well to it, in terms of strength (I have not been carnivorous for much of my life, so I guess my body lacks it). I also gain something like 6 pounds (of water) when taking it! It doesn't look as bad as the usual monthly bloat, in my opinion.

• Sans, about that turkey: I obtained one of those three years ago and, while conceptually healthy and delicious, it was definitely not what my family was used to. It looked like it could have won the Boston Marathon, so streamlined and lean was it. Even now, I'm getting ribbed about it. Luckily, I was on jury duty the week before Thanksgiving that year, sequestered with several foodies who beseeched me to brine the thing first before cooking it. I'm fortunate to have taken their advice. Maybe do it in pink salt?!! Good luck!

I hope my turkey has been lounging around eating bugs and whatever else turkeys eat instead of running marathons! If it's that bad I guess we'll just fill up on the side dishes and I will be making tons of turkey broth. It is from a local farm that has a good reputation so let's hope their turkey is as good as the rest of the meat they sell...thanks for the heads up though! Pink salt brine sounds like a good idea regardless :)

This is what I think.  10 day detox when starting the program.  Commit to a total of 21 days to see the habits change.  If you need to do this for months on end, you need to take a break every 4 weeks or so.  At least that's my take on the book.

Mary

• Does supplementing with creatine fit into the protocol? In the past I have responded well to it, in terms of strength (I have not been carnivorous for much of my life, so I guess my body lacks it). I also gain something like 6 pounds (of water) when taking it! It doesn't look as bad as the usual monthly bloat, in my opinion.

Leez-

I use biocreatine. I stack it with Piracetam and CilTep. It uses pink salt as delivery system and I haven't experienced bloating with it.

• edited November 2014

This is what I think.  10 day detox when starting the program.  Commit to a total of 21 days to see the habits change.  If you need to do this for months on end, you need to take a break every 4 weeks or so.  At least that's my take on the book.

Mary

DO NOT break every four weeks as you begin this program. You will be shooting yourself in the foot. Only break if you want to/it's not working for you. Break every 4-6 months. Hopefully eating cleanly will just be habit by the time you've reached your goals and you'll continue on to maintain a healthy bodyfat percentage.

Here's my post from earlier today. http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12851-no-fail-fat-burning-for-women/page-12#entry105327

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Sans, about that turkey: I obtained one of those three years ago and, while conceptually healthy and delicious, it was definitely not what my family was used to. It looked like it could have won the Boston Marathon, so streamlined and lean was it. Even now, I'm getting ribbed about it. Luckily, I was on jury duty the week before Thanksgiving that year, sequestered with several foodies who beseeched me to brine the thing first before cooking it. I'm fortunate to have taken their advice. Maybe do it in pink salt?!! Good luck!

Could be that the mass produced turkey is similar to the mass produced broiler chicken for size when compared to the original 'wild' bird...

edm-broilers.jpg

The three chickens above are all the same age; 55 days old.

"Images of broiler chickens at 55 days, raised from strains preserved in 1957, 1977 and 2007, show the difference in growth rate and breast size. ((Martin Zuidhof/University of Alberta))" 

you can see the slide show here: 50 Years of Broiler Chickens

fake it till you make it

• Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do about nausea?  I've been so nauseous every night at bed time.  It lasts a few hours.  I know too much coconut oil makes me feel sick, but I only had 2 T yesterday and I felt bad.

• Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do about nausea?  I've been so nauseous every night at bed time.  It lasts a few hours.  I know too much coconut oil makes me feel sick, but I only had 2 T yesterday and I felt bad.

Try some charcoal capsules.

• edited November 2014

Good Morning ladies! Happy Friday to you all. I recently read Skye's book after learning about it through the women's forum. As of tomorrow, I will have been doing lchf for a month now. In that month I did refeed a few times. I finally got my MCT oil and taking D3, K2, mag, pot, vit C etc. waiting on my soil prob's. making bpc each morning, and then.... realized the stevia I was using had one of the nono chems in it!  :eek:  Luckily I found the Sweet Leaf. But I'm wondering if it's part of the reason my scale has barely budged? 8.8lbs for the month. yes, I know it's not bad, but still. Anyways, I am going to start at day one now. I've been pretty good about avoiding most dairy recently, and trying to eat enough meat. Having bm issues. but pretty sure it's linked to ibs (mom has crohns) tried psyllium and flax etc. Heck today I've already had 2TBL of MCT and it's barely done anything. lol Other than that, I think I've got a good grasp on this. I think I have a LOT more to lose than most of you though. my highest was 213 at one point this year. I am down to 189 now. I don't like to work out, but will be trying to follow some of Skye's rec's in the book. My clothes are fitting better and I am getting more attention from the hubs.  :mrgreen:  I don't really drink so no issues with that, and my late night snacking is all but gone! whoop whoop! Water intake is pretty good too. The only real issue I think I am having right now is getting the 30g protein in the am. I use a Collagen in my first cup but 1TBL is only 6g. and egg yolks are only 2g I think per egg. How the heck am a supposed to get that much ? I know most of you prob don't need this extra protein first thing but I have about 60lbs to lose still. ETA- forgot  to mention that I wasn't and not eating anything really processed. Trying to keep it clean and simple. I've been staying <20net almost the whole time too. 

Sorry for the long intro- I've tried to read through the 12pgs here already. phew! lol 

Excited about the holidays this year! I'm making the turkey and bringing my own deviled eggs plus another lc friendly side. The rest of the family will do their own sides. T-day will fall on a refeed day so I'm sure I will be having sweet potatoes for myself. 

• Good Morning ladies! Happy Friday to you all. I recently read Skye's book after learning about it through the women's forum. As of tomorrow, I will have been doing lchf for a month now. In that month I did refeed a few times. I finally got my MCT oil and taking D3, K2, mag, pot, vit C etc. waiting on my soil prob's. making bpc each morning, and then.... realized the stevia I was using had one of the nono chems in it!  :eek:  Luckily I found the Sweet Leaf. But I'm wondering if it's part of the reason my scale has barely budged? 8.8lbs for the month. yes, I know it's not bad, but still. Anyways, I am going to start at day one now. I've been pretty good about avoiding most dairy recently, and trying to eat enough meat. Having bm issues. but pretty sure it's linked to ibs (mom has crohns) tried psyllium and flax etc. Heck today I've already had 2TBL of MCT and it's barely done anything. lol Other than that, I think I've got a good grasp on this. I think I have a LOT more to lose than most of you though. my highest was 213 at one point this year. I am down to 189 now. I don't like to work out, but will be trying to follow some of Skye's rec's in the book. My clothes are fitting better and I am getting more attention from the hubs.  :mrgreen:  I don't really drink so no issues with that, and my late night snacking is all but gone! whoop whoop! Water intake is pretty good too. The only real issue I think I am having right now is getting the 30g protein in the am. I use a Collagen in my first cup but 1TBL is only 6g. and egg yolks are only 2g I think per egg. How the heck am a supposed to get that much ? I know most of you prob don't need this extra protein first thing but I have about 60lbs to lose still. ETA- forgot  to mention that I wasn't and not eating anything really processed. Trying to keep it clean and simple. I've been staying <20net almost the whole time too. 

Sorry for the long intro- I've tried to read through the 12pgs here already. phew! lol 

Excited about the holidays this year! I'm making the turkey and bringing my own deviled eggs plus another lc friendly side. The rest of the family will do their own sides. T-day will fall on a refeed day so I'm sure I will be having sweet potatoes for myself. 

Mamalucas.  If you have lost that much already then I'd say that is a pretty fine start!  You don't need to start the 21 days again btw, just keep going.

• Mamalucas.  If you have lost that much already then I'd say that is a pretty fine start!  You don't need to start the 21 days again btw, just keep going.

Thanks! Actually I didn't do Skye's version of bp though. so that's why I am starting today. I was just doing an Atkins/BP make it up kind of thing. lol I started with hwc, and all the cheese stuff the first few weeks, and wasn't IF at all. But it's been great easing up to this point, bc now I know I can do this without much stress. I have enough of that with four littles! lol 

Hey there-

Try some betaine HCL. Good luck!

SSJ

• Good Morning ladies! Happy Friday to you all. I recently read Skye's book after learning about it through the women's forum. As of tomorrow, I will have been doing lchf for a month now. In that month I did refeed a few times. I finally got my MCT oil and taking D3, K2, mag, pot, vit C etc. waiting on my soil prob's. making bpc each morning, and then.... realized the stevia I was using had one of the nono chems in it!  :eek:  Luckily I found the Sweet Leaf. But I'm wondering if it's part of the reason my scale has barely budged? 8.8lbs for the month. yes, I know it's not bad, but still. Anyways, I am going to start at day one now. I've been pretty good about avoiding most dairy recently, and trying to eat enough meat. Having bm issues. but pretty sure it's linked to ibs (mom has crohns) tried psyllium and flax etc. Heck today I've already had 2TBL of MCT and it's barely done anything. lol Other than that, I think I've got a good grasp on this. I think I have a LOT more to lose than most of you though. my highest was 213 at one point this year. I am down to 189 now. I don't like to work out, but will be trying to follow some of Skye's rec's in the book. My clothes are fitting better and I am getting more attention from the hubs.  :mrgreen:  I don't really drink so no issues with that, and my late night snacking is all but gone! whoop whoop! Water intake is pretty good too. The only real issue I think I am having right now is getting the 30g protein in the am. I use a Collagen in my first cup but 1TBL is only 6g. and egg yolks are only 2g I think per egg. How the heck am a supposed to get that much ? I know most of you prob don't need this extra protein first thing but I have about 60lbs to lose still. ETA- forgot  to mention that I wasn't and not eating anything really processed. Trying to keep it clean and simple. I've been staying <20net almost the whole time too. 

Hey MamaLucas-

Welcome! Great work so far. Try to get your bodyfat measured if possible. Since you've already been doing a version of this, consider going protein-free in the mornings and see if that stimulates further fat burn. If it doesn't give you bigger results, then try the protein in the morning coffee.

Best of luck, great job and keep us posted! You'll get there.

SSJ

• edited November 2014

Hey MamaLucas-

Welcome! Great work so far. Try to get your bodyfat measured if possible. Since you've already been doing a version of this, consider going protein-free in the mornings and see if that stimulates further fat burn. If it doesn't give you bigger results, then try the protein in the morning coffee.

Best of luck, great job and keep us posted! You'll get there.

SSJ

Thank you Skye!! I will try that and add the collagen at night maybe? Btw- pretty sure my abs and thighs hate you and that Tabata thing right now.  :shock:  jk never thought 8 min would hurt that bad. I couldn't do all the pushups, so I planked some as well. but I did it. OY! Not sure were I can get the bf % where I live, not sure we even have a gym in this town. Can I use body measurements to get a general idea? ie- calf, waist, hips etc? Thank you too, for your insight here and in your book. I've def been feeling less stressed and more energized with this wol ! Even with the lack of sleep - I have a 1yo that won't sleep in his own bed for nuthin'.  

ETA- I too have pcos, so controlling that will be awesome! 

• So to answer my own question- I am thinking tape measure for bf% is way off. I did two different calculators online and got two way different measurements! One said 33% and the other said 42% eek!! I do carry much of my weight in the belly/hips/thigh area. I am not kidding myself either, about the (lack of) muscle tone I have currently. I have a realistic idea of where I want to be and setting goals for myself. Looking forward to seeing my progress on the schedule. 

• I'm on Day 13.  The carb refeed sweet potato was delicious.  I'm down about 10 pounds, but I think only 3 of those could actually be fat.  I lost 7 quickly and I think that was the water/glycogen stores because it happened in the first few days.  Clothes fitting differently, rings too.  

I got some bulletproof things: mct oil, collegen and anti-aging formula.  I think the anti-aging helps with energy quite a bit.  I'm been doing charcoal most mornings around 11 and have been taking a super b complex at lunch or dinner.  I generally feel really good.  Some days I have a ton of energy, and other days I get a little weary.  I've done the pink salt in water a few times but I nearly gag, so I don't know about that long term.  

I'm feeling rather blah about food. I'm eating, but not overjoyed about what I'm making.  If anyone has a meat dish that really blows their skirt up, please let me know.  I looked on nomnom paleo website and a lot of the recipes seemed to contain things that aren't on our list.  I've been to two cocktail parties with no drinks and go to another tonight.  That's a struggle because I hate cocktail parties to begin with and to not have a drink there is a drag. But on the flip side, the only time I've ever gone this long without alcohol was when I had swine flu and pneumonia!  So it is nice to prove to myself that I can do it.  

Hope everyone else is doing well with their programs!

Mary

• Good for you Mary!!  I don't have a meat recipe to share with you, but I've been finding that keeping cooked brussel sprouts quite satisfying.  I buy a few pounds and steam them, freeze the ones I don't eat immediately.  I've chopped them up, drizzled with a dressing made from avocado, spices and fresh lemon....kind of a cold slaw.