No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Thats sounds great Karen, thanks for sharing your recipe, you inspired me to make something similar yesterday with coconut milk. I have some raw cacao powder here so used that and like you needed to sweeten it up a little bit to get that mocha taste. It was very satisfying and filling. Going to try that mocha this morning with the butter.
  • Skye I'm trying your protocol - started 10 days ago but had to go back to day 1 when I reached for the dark chocolate without thinking a few days ago.  Yikes!

My question is can I do it without the BP coffee or tea?  My partner and I are trying to conceive.  In fact we are doing IVF which has caused me to gain a whole heap even though I eat 90% paleo/primal (my one processed food is a protein bar).  We have a few weeks until the next cycle starts so I want to shed the extra fat I'm storing due to hormones - BUT I am told not to have coffee/caffeine and even decaf feels wrong to me after detoxing in readiness for pregnancy.  I should mention I'm on DHEA and a whole bunch of supplements for increasing egg quality (ubiquinol, alpha lipoic acid, NAC, bovine colostrum, resveratrol, PQQ etc) and that I don't have any fertility issues aside from age.  I'm okay with fasting - was IFing up until my partner and I decided to go ahead and try for a child, and did so with zero caloric intake for 16-18 hours daily (and yeah I think my adrenals took the strain).

I feel a bit stuck, and wonder if I'm trying to take on too much and should put this protocol on hold until we're done with IVF - and risk a pregnancy with more body fat than I want to start with and even more to lose at the end.  What would you do?  Or is there a modified version with no caffeine I could try? 

• Skye I'm trying your protocol - started 10 days ago but had to go back to day 1 when I reached for the dark chocolate without thinking a few days ago.  Yikes!

My question is can I do it without the BP coffee or tea?  My partner and I are trying to conceive.  In fact we are doing IVF which has caused me to gain a whole heap even though I eat 90% paleo/primal (my one processed food is a protein bar).  We have a few weeks until the next cycle starts so I want to shed the extra fat I'm storing due to hormones - BUT I am told not to have coffee/caffeine and even decaf feels wrong to me after detoxing in readiness for pregnancy.  I should mention I'm on DHEA and a whole bunch of supplements for increasing egg quality (ubiquinol, alpha lipoic acid, NAC, bovine colostrum, resveratrol, PQQ etc) and that I don't have any fertility issues aside from age.  I'm okay with fasting - was IFing up until my partner and I decided to go ahead and try for a child, and did so with zero caloric intake for 16-18 hours daily (and yeah I think my adrenals took the strain).

I feel a bit stuck, and wonder if I'm trying to take on too much and should put this protocol on hold until we're done with IVF - and risk a pregnancy with more body fat than I want to start with and even more to lose at the end.  What would you do?  Or is there a modified version with no caffeine I could try? 

Okay I've just gone back and read through all the posts up until you've gone on a digital detox/journey Skye - you seem to be a bit impatient with some questioner now so I guess I'll muddle through this on my own.  Thanks for the book though - after years of reading MDA's blog it is refreshing to see something just for women.

Now if only there was a bio-hacking forum for fertility I'd be truly in my element :)

• Hello all :)

It's good to see another new person on this page, welcome Ubermama! Well today is my first post-carb-re-feed day (a mouthful in itself). As predicted, the scale shows I have gained a few pounds, but no worries for me, it's all part of the plan - right!? My muscles feel sore from my workout yesterday - even though it was only 25 min of working out with kettlebells and a few sprints thrown in for good measure. To answer your earlier question Leez I hadn't been lifting weights for a while before starting this program. I had done the kettlebell workout a couple of times before starting the NFFB program and I did feel a bit stronger yesterday when I did the workout, but that's all subjective. I wasn't measuring anything closely enough to say whether the 10 day carb depletion itself made a difference in my strength. 

Ubermama - I haven't been through IVF myself but I've had a few friends who have done it. It seems to me like it's a bit of an emotional and physical rollercoaster - at least if it goes on for a while. I hope you and your husband/partner are successful on your first round! Regardless of whether you have a little extra fat at the start of your pregnancy or not a healthy baby and mama are the most important outcomes to my mind! Please take good care of yourself and don't sweat the small stuff too much. Do you think Dave's BP decaf would be alright for you? I guess the only other question I had was whether you have read Dave and his wife's book (is her name Lana???) "The better baby book" - they might answer some of your questions there.

Take care!

• Hi ladies! I'm going to catch up on this thread and probably read Skye's book. Just so I have the right mindset, it seems like this is closely related to the BP diet, but with variations designed for women?

I sorted out and started the supplements this morning. hoping that helps balance out my energy a bit. :)

• Hello all :)

It's good to see another new person on this page, welcome Ubermama! Well today is my first post-carb-re-feed day (a mouthful in itself). As predicted, the scale shows I have gained a few pounds, but no worries for me, it's all part of the plan - right!? My muscles feel sore from my workout yesterday - even though it was only 25 min of working out with kettlebells and a few sprints thrown in for good measure. To answer your earlier question Leez I hadn't been lifting weights for a while before starting this program. I had done the kettlebell workout a couple of times before starting the NFFB program and I did feel a bit stronger yesterday when I did the workout, but that's all subjective. I wasn't measuring anything closely enough to say whether the 10 day carb depletion itself made a difference in my strength. 

Ubermama - I haven't been through IVF myself but I've had a few friends who have done it. It seems to me like it's a bit of an emotional and physical rollercoaster - at least if it goes on for a while. I hope you and your husband/partner are successful on your first round! Regardless of whether you have a little extra fat at the start of your pregnancy or not a healthy baby and mama are the most important outcomes to my mind! Please take good care of yourself and don't sweat the small stuff too much. Do you think Dave's BP decaf would be alright for you? I guess the only other question I had was whether you have read Dave and his wife's book (is her name Lana???) "The better baby book" - they might answer some of your questions there.

Take care!

Thanks for the warm welcome Sans :)

We finished our first round of IVF 12 days ago and weren't successful, but hardly anyone ever is so we are okay.  I did read Dave and Lana's book and have followed a lot of their advice.  I've tried emailing them about some of the supplements they suggested but got nowhere - the site for the book is looking a bit abandoned (my professional opinion as a content strategist!).  It would be great to have a community to share this journey with.  It IS stressful, and with two miscarriages in the past twelve months I've felt I need to be kinder to myself and have stopped fasting and allowed myself more 'comfort foods' (still 90% paleo).  8kg later, I feel horrible and don't look my best.  I have to find a way to do this (have a baby) and not destroy what I've worked so hard for (my healthy lean body).  Ah well :)  I shall keep working at it and dig deeper.  :)

• Welcome, Ubermama. I say that, though I've only been here a couple of days myself! I realize this isn't the thread for pregnancy talk, but wanted to offer this reassurance: I was scrutinized during my pregnancy with regard to weight gain 'cuz I flunked my glucose tolerance test. I have my theories as to why that happened, but nevertheless, got put on the "risk" list, was outfitted with a glucose meter, and consider the whole headache quite fortuitous. I gained 21.5 lbs, delivered a 7.5 lb healthy boy, and was back in my jeans within two weeks. All of that I attribute to scrupulously monitoring sugar intake, reasonable exercise (not the intense OCD workouts I'd been up to before pregnancy), and NURSING. Nursing was very good for taking off weight! So perhaps relax a bit now? Continue to be kinder to yourself? I'm sorry round 1 didn't take, but that's not to say you won't be successful next round. We'll deal with your 8 kg or whatever after you've had your healthy baby.

• Made it to DAY 3. Showing consistently "moderate" readings on the ketostix. Energy seems fairly even, though better in the AM. I was probably too active over the weekend, as the autumn leaves are falling like crazy and I have tons of oak trees. Trying to stay off the scale for another few days. Taking Betaine HCL with BPC #2, I'm used to drinking just one and adding in the second seemed to cause GI distress. Feeling energetic but not especially strong.

• Lees, well done so far.  Are you taking pink salt in water?  It really helps the energy balance.

• Lees, well done so far.  Are you taking pink salt in water?  It really helps the energy balance.

Yes! I've been working my way up, probably take about 1/4 tsp every morning. It's very bubbly when added to San Pellegrino and it strikes me as more festive that way. In the flat water I felt like I was consuming a bodily fluid. Which I guess it kind of is.

• How is everyone doing?  I'm thinking of weighing on Friday as it is the start of the month and it will be 21 days.  I was thinking of waiting until the whole month is up, but I'm getting curious.

• How is everyone doing?  I'm thinking of weighing on Friday as it is the start of the month and it will be 21 days.  I was thinking of waiting until the whole month is up, but I'm getting curious.

DAY 5 almost over, so far so good. Looking forward to a workout tonight. Training on DAY 1 was not great, the caffeine seemed to bother me and my strength was off.

How are you feeling? And how much of a difference have you felt after a carb re-feed? I am kind of dreading it. It will be interesting to see what the scale tells you on Friday, if you decide to do it.

• I'm feeling really good.  I don't like the feeling if I drop below 25g of carbs, so just a little more suits me and the mocha helps alot.  The first 10 days was tough because it is so strict and life gets in the way, so I'm not sure how realistic that it is to do unless you are in complete control of your own environment.  I had to re-start a couple of times.   I do feel bloated still though but it could be the MCT.  I think I really need to give it a whole month to be fair - probably even 6 weeks.  It might be my imagination, but my clothes seem to be fitting a little better.  I like the idea of HiiT rather than chronic cardio etc and I have enjoyed what I have done so far.

In the background I have this morning submitted some saliva for hormone testing.  It's really hard for me to lose weight compared to others and I want to double check there is nothing else going on. 

• Plantains = higher starch content. Please look at pages 34, 54 about safe starches,  timing.  Pgs 54-56 about feeding window. It is all right there. All these answers are right there in the book.If they are truly not clear, please email me directly at the address on the first page.

Please look here . You need to determine these things for you. Weight loss? Who cares about weight loss? Start caring about fat lossFat loss - yes. Weight loss - depends. Ever heard of skinny fat? Most women's weight loss means muscle along with fat and that still means metabolic derangement. Let's learn to deal with our bodies one on one. Our bodies are not an outside entity. Look at it. Measure your circumference. I wrote that book so I don't have to repeat myself. Don't count anything -- calories, grams, just eat clean f-ing food! When you train, train hard. That's right, the workouts maybe be only 4 minutes, But they better be the most gut wrenching, puke producing four minutes of your life. Don't come on here and whine about how we're not losing fat when we say the workouts are too easy and we're eating cookies, drinking, etc,.

Quit wasting the time of those who are serious and committed to get it done. There are women here who are leaving nothing behind. Others only have the energy to make excuses. What say you? Who are you going to be today? You're mindfucking yourselves if you think half-assing anything is going to get you to anywhere beyond average. I have no other way to put it.

Going on a digital detox and out of the country. I think this forum is great and awesome for those who want to keep sharing their science and discoveries. It's what we all need to do. I realize numbers, weights and measurements make us feel safe because it gives us something to compare ourselves to. It helps us find a north star. Be your own north star.

Please email me at the address in the book if you have a serious question about the protocol and if it's something not already addressed here. Keep on rocking.Fuck the foggy science. Eat as nature intended, not as Wall Street determined.

Skye - I hope your digital detox is going well! Sometimes it can be hard to tell how something was intended when READ and not HEARD, but I am a bit taken aback reading your last post. I was not trying to make you repeat yourself, nor was I trying to waste "the time of those who are serious and committed to getting it done". Those phrases seem attacking, and I did not write anything that was meant to put you on the offensive. I do think we got our signals crossed about the fat loss - the only thing I said about it was that 1) people were talking about it, and 2) a question about glucose/fructose ratios. I am also not the only one who has written posts other than those intended to share science, (most of the posts ehre are personal updates - which I think is fine) and I have done my best to contribute, to offer advice to those reading this thread in whatever limited capacity I can at this point in my training. I have done nothing malicious, and not spoken to anyone as impatiently as you have done to me in the response above. I get tough love, and we all need a reality check from time to time, but I felt like tough love morphed into criticism. Everyone here, including myself, deserves to be treated with kindness. I am - and we ALL are! -  immensely appreciative of the time you have spent responding, and I had no intention of you feeling like you are wasting your time here!

Karen g -  I notived that you said the chocolate made you feel better. As i have previously mentioned, I have been investigating chocolate cravings. Tyrosine - one of the amino acids in chocolate - may benefit you, as might phosphatidylcholine - I am NOT a doctor! but I have been looking into this myself :) I am curious to try your recipe! it sounds delicious!

WELCOME ubermama, leez, and tammybites!

I have been trying to not focus on fat loss, using the plan for energy and mental clarity...but now i am curious!!! does anyone have a method of keeping circumference measurements precise??? How are you supposed to know if you are keeping the string/measuring tape perpendicular the whole way around, and measuring in the exact same place every time? it seems very imprecise to me. (If only i had the cash for a dexa scan... one day!!!)

my update is that i have been trying to make my own ghee and failing. Miserably. Tips anyone? I also notice that i feel fine in my fasting window - not hungry - but once I eat I feel the urge to nosh throughout the afternoon, NO MATTER how much I eat, an hour later I feel I need a boost.

I hope you all are having a great evening! keep up the good work :)

• also karen g - I was wondering if you have had your thyroid tested by a doctor who specializes in that kind of thing - NOT an endocrinologist, but a an MD who keeps up with the most recent thyroid literature and special tests