Back Pain Suggestions

My wife has had lower back pain for a few years now. She is 27. She had a small fracture that never healed properly and has pretty constant pain in the l4-l5 area. It's not crippling, but something I want to take care of.

She is on the green side of the bulletproof diet and has been for a few months. Here are the supplements she is taking:

1 gram of Krill oil

5000 i.u. of D3

200,000 SU of Serrapeptase twice daily

1 gram of Vitamin C

500 mg of Magnesium

Just started taking 2000mcg of K2 MK4 and 200mcg of K2 MK7

Also just started on 1 gram of calcium-d-glucarate and 100 mg of l-glutathione.

She took Dave's recommended collagen, but not consistently. We will order more and try to keep on a regular regimen.

She has been to pt, and acupuncture.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

She is 27, 5'1, 115lbs, and a former pro athlete.

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather
    Hi,

How is her current flexibility? Aside from the possible inflammation, IMO tense muscles/non flexible may put a restriction on movement which can add or cause some back pain. What line of work is she in? Does she sit for long periods of time? What is her current activity level?

-R

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• She used to be very flexible leg wise, but recently it seems her legs tighten up very quickly. Maybe yoga?
  • Her current job involves quite a bit of walking around and sometimes lifting things as she is involved in a community development role with a professional sports team.

• She used to be very flexible leg wise, but recently it seems her legs tighten up very quickly. Maybe yoga?
    If the back muscles are tense it can lead to the leg's tightening. And usually back pain is caused by the inflamed back muscles pulling the spine about and pinching nerves.

First off seek medical advice...now that I'm legally covered I can suggest maybe an Osteopaths or Chiropractors (Ignore the pseudo science psychobabble, the most effective thing they do is manipulate the spine into it's correct position to stop them pinching nerves). I've actually had extensive treatment to deal with old rugby injuries using chiropractors and it did really help, reduced pain and increased my flexibility.

Also might be worth her taking some fermented codliver oil. It really does help to keep you supple and loose as a goose.
  • This is not a diet or supplement suggestion, but...

I've been prone to severe lower back pain -- not chronic, but it developed later in life (in my 50's). But I've been helped greatly through Feldenkrais, a way of discovering how you move, unlearning bad habits, and developing good ones. It's a very subtle kind of therapy - it's not exercise, more of discovering how the nervous system controls the body and realizing that there are ways that our muscles and skeletal system can be more efficient. It's fairly popular with dancers and musicians who develop chronic physical problems.

A private session (referred to as Functional Integration) with a local certified Feldenkrais practitioner might be worth a try.
  • Thankfully, never had this myself, but I have several friends who swear that sleeping on a super-hard surface (thin blanket on a floor as padding, for example, no pillow) for a couple of nights makes any back pain go away for a long time. I've passed this along to people with backpain, and most confirmed that it is very helpful (and gives a few days to a week of relief even in some chronic conditions).

Might not be relevant to your wife's case, as it's an unhealed fracture, but the most it costs to try is a little discomfort.
  • Start taking collagen protein at night.

Get one of these and use it to stretch out.

I don't have chronic back pain, per se, but I have lingering issues from being a former competitive skier. These two things help compensate for the fact that I now sit in an office 80 hrs/wk.
  • Your cure is here.

Prolotherapy from Dr. Ross Hauser in Chicago

google it
  • Deep relaxation via meditation. About 95% of body pain issues can be solved with this.

This thread I posted is related, and I'm not simply trying to promote a theory I've come up with. This is genuinely, 100%, true. And WILL help her, in time.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1375-deep-relaxation-of-muscles-through-meditation-do-it/page__pid__6852#entry6852
  • RodRod The Rodfather

It is absolutely vital that you consult your medical care provider for exercise techniques that are safe for you to do. Some individuals have other medical conditions that can restrict their options for pain relief techniques.

How would a medical care provider know exercise techniques? Can you please elaborate? Thank you.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I'm 27 and had a fusion at L4-L5 2 years ago. don't ever do that.

Some good suggestions here like foam rollers. I've been to roughly a dozen Physical therapists; probably 10 chiropractors; surgeons from hopkins, georgetown, duke, and unc. Heads of neurosurgery, orthopaedics, holistic centers, etc. Nobody has a clue what causes a lot of back pain. Anyways, heres some other stuff you can try if you haven't already:

-hanging for 15-45 seconds at a time either like a pullup on a bar, or you could try doing the opposite too and get those boots you can hang inverted (head down) on. Both would probably be good.

-"healing back pain" by John Sarno - I just bought this and am going to read. I've heard good things and even if your pain isn't "mental" I imagine there is some good stuff this guy has to say.

-I ordered ACL supplements today based of podcast #6 which recommends this for spinal injury (near the end of that podcast).

-you can check out myofascial release too if you haven't...could be some good stuff there. Can be expensive to see a practitioner but my takeaway from 8 sessions of this is to work on massaging or stretching out your 'fascia' across you body. Besides hanging frequently on a bar, I'll find a vertical pole like on a soccor goal or fence posts or something and hang to the side in all sorts of crazy positions that stretch positions i can't get to with yoga or regular stretching. Also, you can use a foam roller or air-filled balls to do this on your stomach area, especially if those muscles feel tight for her.

-potentially sleep on firmer mattress or focus on how you sleep

-topricin provides maybe a 5-10% reduction in pain for me - every bit helps and there are some other similar products on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00172HEAY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
  • edited December 2012
    Any thoughts about potential hypothyroidism? She has high total cholesterol (about 348), the pain that spreads throughout her back, and reports being tired easily. She is going to see her GP tomorrow. Her TSH is normal at 2.49 but I think it may be worth it to have her free t3 and t4 tested. She did have slightly elevated liver enzymes. Plus, her mom has hyperthyroidism.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    Lots of good information here. Serrapeptase will chew through any inflammation too!

No sorcery, just science. 

• Try and find a Somatic Movement Educator in your area. They do similar work to FeldenKrais. Hugely effective in resolving issues like this. Extremely gentle protocol too. If there are none in your area try the following links

www.essentialsomatics.com

Lawrence Gold

Martha at the essential somatics link does Skype sessions with clients all the time. I'm sure she'd be happy to help your girlfriend. I use somatic movement regularly now to stay pain free from back and hip problems. I'd urge you check it out.

good luck!
  • For my lower back pain that is non surgery and not major injuries, I like to use a topical back pain relief called Absorbine Jr. I know that isn't a real solution to your wife's situation, but they have two pads that have helped during major sprains, dislocated shoulder, slipped disc in my back, and any other minor aches and middle back pain that I would get on the regular. It sure beats being on medicine constantly. I also like Absorbine Jr back patches for pain because they have two types of patches. I use the larger warming patch to prepare my back during the long ride home from the office. When I get home I take a hot shower and then dry completely and put on their small cooling patch for the lower back pain spot that hurts me the most. Between the warming patch, the shower, and the cooling patch, I am pain free for 8 hours as long as I leave the patch on. Again, this is not a permanent solution, but then again I'm not in pain so I'm happy. Check out https://www.absorbinejr.com/faqs/ and at the end of the page you can see the difference between the pads. Good luck and I hope you wife gets better.

• Back pain may occur due to the wrong sleeping position, bad sitting position, injuries, longtime work on the computer etc. There is no permanent method to relieve your back pain. But you can do some back/spine exercise which will help you to reduce your pain. For better result, contact the doctor.

• If her back pain is due to an old injury first get cleared by a doctor. Second find a chiropractor with a lot of great reviews. 3rd and possibly most importantly find a highly-skilled yoga instructor especially one that practices with people with injuries. My wife woke up one day unable to move, seemingly paralyzed from the legs down at 27 years old. She was fit and mostly healthy. The ER told her there is nothing wrong with her after many x-rays and scans, and actually recommended we see a chiropractor, bc they literally had no answers. One Dr. even thought my wife was making it up. I know my wife had happened to be dealing with some severe life stress recently as she had a stress-induced-shingles outbreak that had finally cleared up a week prior. My gut instinct was to do an anti-inflammation diet and this is how my wife and I both became Bulletproof. After two weeks of going hardcore bulletproof diet and chiropractor visits my wife was finally able to walk normally but still had a lot of pain with any bending squatting, twisting, etc. We found a yoga instructor that specialized in elderly and people with severe injuries, and after three visits to that yoga class my wife's pain dropped to manageable levels. We've been bulletproof ever since and my wife has had to continue seeing the chiropractor for some Extended Care as even with her pain at 0 she lost a lot of strength, and if she's not careful she can have a flare-up in her sciatica and lower back again, but we have come light years since that day. She is finally at a point where she can do strengthening exercises in the gym and it's starting to get her Fitness and Mobility back on track to normal, went on our first hike together in over a year 4 weeks ago!

• To be honest, I had pain in my back about a year ago, now it isn’t, because I’ve become more involved in sports and changed my chair so that I don’t bend my back during work. And the main thing is of course the dream https://sleepmentor.net/best-sleeping-position-for-back-pain/ By the way from this article, something that I learned useful about this, maybe someone will find this useful.

• @bholdburg said:
    She used to be very flexible leg wise, but recently it seems her legs tighten up very quickly. Maybe yoga?

IME Pilates or yoga (which I do) is very beneficial to core strength. I would recommend getting some proper instruction though. After a few months of doing a (for example) weekly class & following up the exercises at home on her own she’ll notice a massive difference.

I have found moderate, proper weight training to be even better but doing it properly is 10x as important which will take a fairly large time/effort commitment and probably cost a lot more.
    btw the lower back is part of the core, most people just think in terms of abs but they’re two (equally important) sides of the same coin.

• Best pain back information in USA
    Visit here>> Back pain