Onnit Releases Their Own Mct Oil

https://www.onnit.com/onnit-mct-oil/?pid=782

quality difference I wonder?  They market w/ "30% Lauric Acid."  What does that even mean?  Does it actually provide an advantage over Upgraded MCT oil?

Guess we can look forward to Onnit carbon copying everything Dave Asprey puts on market

Tagged:

Comments

• SystemSystem mod
    edited September 2014

Onnit tries way too hard. I just peeped their site. Onnit-branded lip balm, really? Their apparel is also whack. The t-shirts look like something a 12-year-old would wear.

• I agree their t-shirts suck.  That lip-balm is something I'd never buy... however, the company they co-branded it with is very interesting.  Still a waste of money but interesting none the less

Onnit tries way too hard. I just peepd their site. Onnit Lip balm, really? Their apparel is also whack. The t-shirts look like something a 12-year-old would wear.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

https://www.onnit.com/onnit-mct-oil/?pid=782

quality difference I wonder?  They market w/ "30% Lauric Acid."  What does that even mean?  Does it actually provide an advantage over Upgraded MCT oil?

Guess we can look forward to Onnit carbon copying everything Dave Asprey puts on market

I would position that product as half way between mct oil & coconut oil.

mct oils are usually sold as C8 & C10 oils , not C12 (lauric).

but may be of use if you are after a lauric acid source & do not like coconut oil. ie. possibly more antiviral and less ketogenic.

technically this stuff should be less liquid at room temp than c8/c10 oils (i would have thought), lauric acid has a melting point of 43.8°C/110.8°F according to wiki

fake it till you make it

• SystemSystem mod
    edited September 2014

The 30% lauric is just a scammy marketing ploy to use an inferior product and make it seem special, this is about as sell out as selling his podcast to NBC for 4 million dollars.

Sadly, the average JRE listener and consumer in general will fall for that sales pitch -- hook, line, and sinker. 

I've been shit-talking Onnit, but I must admit that its marketing is second to none.

• The lauric acid content is probably related Rhonda Patrick's comments on the JRE podcast as saying some MCT oils on the market were "missing" it. There is more than one discussion of that on the forum, but Jason covered it best here, showing that C12 / lauric acid:

- downregulates some genes

- is inflammatory mixed with EPA/DHA

and that C8 is also antimicrobial and perhaps better because the shorter chain fat can penetrate biofilms. 

So, if you have a specific reason you want lauric acid, but really hate the taste of coconut and coconut oil, Onnit has a great product for you, at only slightly more expensive per serving than Upgraded MCT. 

BTW, I drank some Onnit Hemp Force today (mixed with Upgraded Whey, no less!) and will continue to buy it as an occasional treat and for travel. They have some good products, but this one gives me no reason to switch from Upgraded MCT. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited September 2014

I must admit that its marketing is second to none.

It is amazing, a model for social media and influencer driven online campaigns. Good for them. 

And good for us. They are getting average people to pay attention to paleo nutrition and exercise who never would have otherwise. This reduces the national health care burden and probably brings down wholesale prices of commodity ingredients we care about. 

• The 30% lauric is just a scammy marketing ploy to use an inferior product and make it seem special, this is about as sell out as selling his podcast to NBC for 4 million dollars.

For the record, he didn't sell his podcast to nbc for 4 million... at least i couldn't find that in google

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Onnit is ok, some of their products are fine, some are not worth it at all. The same could be said about Upgraded products (though more upgraded are better than not.)

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Onnit is a great company! Everything they produce is top notch. Have always been happy with everything I have received from them. Plus, their fitness approach is really cool. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

The lauric acid content is probably related Rhonda Patrick's comments on the JRE podcast as saying some MCT oils on the market were "missing" it. There is more than one discussion of that on the forum, but Jason covered it best here, showing that C12 / lauric acid:

- downregulates some genes

- is inflammatory mixed with EPA/DHA

and that C8 is also antimicrobial and perhaps better because the shorter chain fat can penetrate biofilms. 

So, if you have a specific reason you want lauric acid, but really hate the taste of coconut and coconut oil, Onnit has a great product for you, at only slightly more expensive per serving than Upgraded MCT. 

BTW, I drank some Onnit Hemp Force today (mixed with Upgraded Whey, no less!) and will continue to buy it as an occasional treat and for travel. They have some good products, but this one gives me no reason to switch from Upgraded MCT. 

C8 is antimicrobial, but I believe lauric acid is stronger in most cases. It converts into monolaurin which is an inhibitor of yeast and viruses. C8 is used more for yeasts and bacteria.

The reason why breast milk has strong antimicrobial properties and can sit out for 6+ hours room temperature is because of the high lauric acid content.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I would shy away from just saying things like 'Onnit is bad'. Marketing is not a bad thing, and all companies do it, although I think that most of us here have a negative view on aggressive marketing because it tends to be used solely for bad products. I think that some of the things that Onnit is doing is to help move a niche product (this type of stuff is niche in the grander scheme of things) into the limelight, and I appreciate what they do.

That being said, some of their products are obviously better than others. As an example, I've never been a fan of Alpha Brain, but many of the other products are very high quality, especially when compared to many similar items that are out there on the market at that price point. I do lean more heavily into the BP camp though. I wouldn't go with the Onnit MCT unless I really wanted to kill microbes or candida, but I'd probably just eat coconut oil instead because it's cheaper.

Does someone have the ratios of C-8/C-10 for Upgraded MCT? I know BO is all Caprylic acid.

• 60/40 from last I heard

I would shy away from just saying things like 'Onnit is bad'. Marketing is not a bad thing, and all companies do it, although I think that most of us here have a negative view on aggressive marketing because it tends to be used solely for bad products. I think that some of the things that Onnit is doing is to help move a niche product (this type of stuff is niche in the grander scheme of things) into the limelight, and I appreciate what they do.

That being said, some of their products are obviously better than others. As an example, I've never been a fan of Alpha Brain, but many of the other products are very high quality, especially when compared to many similar items that are out there on the market at that price point. I do lean more heavily into the BP camp though. I wouldn't go with the Onnit MCT unless I really wanted to kill microbes or candida, but I'd probably just eat coconut oil instead because it's cheaper.

Does someone have the ratios of C-8/C-10 for Upgraded MCT? I know BO is all Caprylic acid.

• What differentiates this product from plain ol' Coconut Oil?  I'm at a loss as to why I'd ever buy it.

• Quick research is showing that coconut oil is 50% LA. Onnit's is 30% LA.

LA does take more time to digest. Soooo... having a higher rate of C8 and C10, with SOME LA might be good for people who do want the energy boost of C8 & C10, and want some of the effects of LA... but not everything else in coconut oil (including the slower digestion of coconut oil).

A theory.

What differentiates this product from plain ol' Coconut Oil?  I'm at a loss as to why I'd ever buy it.

edited September 2014

some people hate solid coconut oil so much that they're in the market for coconut oil that has just enough c12 removed to make it liquid at all times, then pay too much for it.

i guess it would have no smell/taste as well, unlike coconut oil ( unless lauric acid has much of a smell/taste...? )

fake it till you make it

• Come on.  Every single one of you is gonna be rocking an Alpha Brain snapback and you know it ;)

Men are undoubtedly more in danger from prosperity than adversity.  For when matters go smoothly, they flatter themselves, and are intoxicated by their success.  ~John Calvin

• If it has no taste & smell, I'd consider throwing my monies at it. After the overindulgence some of us have had on Coconut Oil... I can't really stand the taste, smell, or mouthfeel of coconut oil... it makes me kinda gag.

some people hate solid coconut oil so much that they're in the market for coconut oil that has just enough c12 removed to make it liquid at all times, then pay too much for it.

C8 is antimicrobial, but I believe lauric acid is stronger in most cases. It converts into monolaurin which is an inhibitor of yeast and viruses. C8 is used more for yeasts and bacteria.

The reason why breast milk has strong antimicrobial properties and can sit out for 6+ hours room temperature is because of the high lauric acid content.

...not sure if much of the lauric acid in the onnit would actually break down/convert to monolaurin; 

according to some random blog i was just reading; a specific enzyme is required; 'mothers milk' has it, but coconut oil does not, so i'm guessing the onnit would not have the required enzyme either. 
    "And further studies show your body can only get 1 - 6% Monolaurin from any available lauric acid."

fake it till you make it