Advice On Getting Off Xanax, Ambien And Celexa

I've been doing bulletproof coffee every morning for more than half a year and love it, also using a lot of other bulletproof  principles and they are great, however there are these issues I am facing that I got myself into from listening to a conventional, irresponsible doctor who got me on this crap:

I've been on alprazolam (xanax) (0.25mg up to 6x daily = 1.5mg a day) for a year and a half, ambien (zolpidem) 10-20mg/night for 5+ years, citalopram (celexa) 20mg/day for a year and a half and recently experimented with adderall ( 5mg up to 3x/day) which bring up superhero like effects but comes with a down after wearing off. 

I tried nootropics like bacopa, piracetam, aniracetma, noopept, ashwagandha, CDP choline, l-theanine, but none of them had any noticeable effects such as the above mentioned. The issue is I see how the above mentioned ones are nothing but a downward spiral for the future. I do feel a lot of anxiety when getting off of these and honestly I'm not sure what to do to get back to normal. Of course, I understand one has to taper off. What I am however asking is, any more summarized tips on what to buy, where and how much to take of each to get back to normal while tapering off of the above mentioned?

Being in an anxious state is problematic due to having to perform at demanding work and socially. Which is going very well while on the required dose on xanax and adderall, but when not, then it is the opposite. I also tried modafinil, 200-400mg a day but it's uncomparable and I barely feel anything after taking it, especially compared to adderall. How to be able to perform like on adderall and not be anxious like on xanax?

Please help

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Clean up your diet completely, exercise, get good sleep, limit EMF, correct deficiencies in (magnesium, k2, B12, iodine) if they exist, and titrate your medication with the help of a good physician / therapist. This is all you can do.

Maybe look into getting a neurotransmitter test after complete titration to correct imbalances.

Your brain is addicted to a GABA regulation cycle and increased serotonin. Unless you have really strong diagnosed mental issues, you will have to bite the bullet and deal with feeling like shit for at most two years till you completely titrate down and correct the imbalances.

There is nothing you can take to take of the edge without working with a doctor specifically that is versed in brain biochemistry, if it is possible.

You have to break the cycle, and I am not 100% sure you want to since you experimented with adderall. Good luck, you have dug yourself a big hole.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Wow that's quite the brew.

Go to marvenus.com and look up depression and getting off depression pills.

He has a full program on getting off the pills in  healthy way.

He has a great book called focus that will help immensely.

The lithium orotate really helped me. You may need to boost your Acetylcholine.

It might be a hole, but you CAN get out.

PM me anytime.

• Getting off of nasty chemical shit like that (which has helped me) is the most miserable and painful thing to do probably ever if you don't do it right.  Having bipolar disorder, I've been on most of that stuff and many, many more, and the one targeted suggestion regarding a couple of your medications is as follows:

Ask to go to Klonopin or something in that class as opposed to Xanax.  I personally didn't notice any negative difference at all and I was on up to 6mg of Xanax a day myself.

I was addicted to sleeping pills in that quantity as well for almost 10 years, Ambien and Lunesta to be specific, and when I cleaned up some other stuff in my life somewhat, I was able to substitute melatonin in its stead.  I take a minimum of 5mg of melatonin per night, along with 1000mg magnesium and my "conventional doctor cocktail", and my sleep is fine now.  

Best of luck with your situation.

• Look into Julia Ross. She talks about eating issues in her second book but everything in there is totally relevant to everyone with emotional disturbance. Ignore her nutrition advice... But amino acids - from a compounding pharmacy is best - can work wonders. Also address your gut. I wish I had more detailed advice, but if you can find a holistic MD who can order an I.O.N. Test you will get a LOT of info for 100 dollars. I felt the need to chime in since the previous posts sounded - to me anyways - a little hopeless, and one of them a little judgemental. I have successfully gotten off adderol - and more - nine months ago, and I still miss it a little bit but My brain totally functions without it. Follow the BP diet PRECISELY - don't BS yourself, and you will see a lot of improvement. Most of all, know that YOU CAN DO THIS!! Best of luck
  • How much is getting off the medication's worth to you? I'm not going to sugar coat it, it will be one of the hardest challenges you will face. However, you got a chance if you truly wish to change and get off the strong meds. There are stories of people hooked on cocktails stronger than yours and been able to get clean, look for them for advice and inspiration. 

It takes strength to reach out and ask for help, good job for that. There might be better places to help you with your problems than this forum.

Here are some actions you could take (in no special order):

-ID areas in your lifestyle causing you trouble and don't lie to yourself about them (relationships, work, diet, exercise, sleep)

-Separate yourself from those troubled aspects of your life, or address them

-Reach out to people who've been in your shoes and ask them the steps they took to come clean

-Admit yourself to a institution (for as long as you need)

-If you have the means ($), then restart and bring as little "baggage" with you as you can

-Talk to someone or a group

-Find ways to give value to others

-Cold Turkey (even though might not be permanent, would still be good to benchmark yourself)

-Jail (Not serious?.... just saying people have went in addicted came out clean)

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned Niacin, 

Here's a great article from Dr. Abram Hoffer on niacin, posted on Andrew Saul's website. The dosage part is about 2/3 down the page: http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_niacin.html

How to take niacin for depression/anxiety  (easier read)

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-take-niacin-vitamin-b3-for-depression-and-anxiety

VIDEO:  

Can this niacin CURE depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, arthritis ... ?

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned Niacin, 

Here's a great article from Dr. Abram Hoffer on niacin, posted on Andrew Saul's website. The dosage part is about 2/3 down the page: http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_niacin.html

How to take niacin for depression/anxiety  (easier read)

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-take-niacin-vitamin-b3-for-depression-and-anxiety

VIDEO:  

Can this niacin CURE depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, arthritis ... ?

Niacinimide can work just as well for anxiety and no potential damage to the liver.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

Niacinimide can work just as well for anxiety and no potential damage to the liver.

John, the form that studies have indicated as having these issues is the medically used "sustained release" form, which is known to have issues (which is probably why pharma uses it in their studies). Regular niacin, niacinimide and inositol hexanicotimate are a different breed

While higher doses of niacin can sometimes raise liver enzymes, this correlation doesn't equal causation, so the medical profession's stated conclusion that this relates to liver damage is unfounded. There is ample evident to suggest that the higher enzyme levels could certainly be due to a better-functioning liver that is now able to handle more work.

Niacin is given to long-time alcoholics with damaged livers to assist the liver with the healing process, so they can't have it both ways. ;)

Here's a quote from the article above on this issue with the "sustained release" forms:

"Four serious cases have been reported, all involving a sustained release preparation. Mullin, Greenson & Mitchell (1989) [22] reported that a 44 year-old man was treated with crystalline nicotinic acid, 6 grams daily, and after 16 months was normal. He then began to take a sustained-release preparation, same dose. Within three days he developed nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dark urine. He had severe hepatic failure and required a liver transplant. Henkin, Johnson & Segrest found three patients who developed hepatitis with sustained release nicotinic acid. When this was replaced with crystalline nicotinic acid there was no recurrent liver damage. [23]

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!