Is Kerrygold Still The Best?

I've noticed my kerrygold isn't yellow anymore(uk) ... more of a dull pale colour

A couple months ago it used to glow yellow...

Sign of quality going down?  :shock:

Comments

• Maybe a sign of change of season. If you can buy your butter and stock up during spring to summer it'll be golden yellow. Over winter months is when colour change normally takes place (paler).

As butter can be frozen for anything up to a year it kind of makes it hard as to really know when it was produced (even with expiry dates on them). Buying from a local farm and not a supermarket

can make sense for this reason.

• Good question about Kerrygold... I've noticed that too..... but not sure color=quality....

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hey Eddie,

Kerrygold definitely changes throughout the year. The only problem that I've come across is when it's TOO yellow and it tastes a little more sour. I asked about it once on the forum, but no answers. I think that that is the time of year the cows are fed the GMO grains. I wish we could no for sure, but you can usually trust your palate about that stuff. 

• I wouldn't say it's the best. But it's definitely one of the best you can buy in a grocery store.

• yeah i think kerrygold is just the one that gets recommended because you can find it in walmart and stuff. 

yellow supposedly signifies more omega 3s (or some sneaky food coloring). i'd highly recommend seeking out something local if you're able and stocking up before the summertime butter is all gone. 

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

'Butter with a high fat content can also appear white when fresh, since the colour of the butter only depends on the colorants it contains and not on the fat content'

So does Kerrygold add colorants?

'The typical yellow colour of the butter is derived by natural methods from the fresh grass eaten by the cow in the meadow.'

That'll be the grass fed cows used by Kerrygold farms, right?

so

'Grass contains a lot of carotenoids and as the name suggests, these were named after carrots (which are golden red in colour).

As these carotenoids are fat soluble, they are transferred to the milk fat and from there into the butter. These leads to butter's golden colour'.

and

'If cows, especially in winter, but in modern farming all year round, do not eat much fresh grass, but instead are fed concentrated feed and hay that is low in carotenoids, then the butter will be whiter in colour.'

Kerrygold farmers do feed concentrated feeds at winter so we know the colour changes or has done in the past unless....

'So that the consumer can buy butter all year round that has the same colour, in Germany an appropriate amount of the natural colorant beta-carotene is added to cream at the creamery or even earlier than that to the cow's feed.

It is also quite common for their feed to be supplemented with carrots.'

Lastly

'In earlier times butter was coloured yellow using the sap of the marigold flower. The fat content of the butter depends solely on the manufacturing process and the fat content of the milk used'

We stand corrected. Grassfed is not as grassfed as we with first thought fit. Just in the same way free-range is not organic anymore too. But then we have never seen that many marigold flowers in the fields here in the UK....well not enough to substantiate these claims.

To make things even more confusing:

'Furthermore butter colour is managed differently in different countries. In Italy for example butter is primarily pure white in colour' Does Ireland manage their butter quality?

So your right to question the quality and this is very much a BP ethic. Maybe you should email Kerrygold direct to see just how many changes they have made recently and we're not talking about the recent partnership with Irish designer, Orla Kiely who has given their packs a super stylish make over with her iconic design.

Email: http://kerrygold.co.uk/home/contact-us/

or alternatively,address your enquiry to:

Kerrygold Customer Services

Adams Foods

Barnfields Industrial Estate

Sunnyhills Road

Leek

Staffs

UK ST13 5SP

Telephone

01538 399 111

We have no idea if it is 'the best' but it seems popular and palatable to many here on the forum.

Is it BP...we`ll Dave thought so but only 100% grass fed cows etc...would make it so. We like the raw grass fed butter from the Hook & Sons farm but it's expensive.

They tell us that frozen butter loses it's taste after three months.

re: http://www.chefsculinar.de/en/pages/815.aspx and http://kerrygold.co.uk/home/products/ lastly http://www.hookandson.co.uk/page26/index.html

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

Good question about Kerrygold... I've noticed that too..... but not sure color=quality....

Would have given you two likes for that post but you`ll have to do with one from us both.