Painful Gerd When Eating Bulletproof, Relief Only When Cheating?!

RoarkRoark
edited September 2014 in The Bulletproof Diet

I've been bulletproof for a couple years, but over the past 3 months, at least from what I recall, I've developed consistent, painful, debilitating GERD symptoms that occur regularly every single day for much of the day. After thoroughly reviewing John Brisson's Ultimate Digestion Health Guide - I've concluded I most likely have H. Pylori. I haven't tested to confirm, but the symptoms are completely in line with H. Pylori including an unrelenting heartburn, regularly burping the whole day (which is unusual for me) even in a fasted state which would align with the idea of H. Pylori causing excess gas, and the pain even occurs just from drinking water.

I've tried to incorporate as much of John's "eradicating h. pylori" protocol as possible, but the relief is temporary, and the pain continues without any sign of making progress.

For the past 1-2 months I've been taking:

Mastic Gum first thing in the morning, and before bed

Zinc L-Carnosine after meals and before bed

Betaine HCL with meals

10,000mg L-Glutamine per day in shake

DGL Licorice 20 min before meals

8oz of pure cold-pressed Cranberry Juice daily

And due to the lack of any progress, I've just begun taking Manuka Honey MGO 400+

I'm hoping the Manuka Honey was the missing ingredient, but if it doesn't fix anything, I can't think of anything left to try.

I eat the same thing everyday - BP Coffee at 10am in the morning, 1/2lb beef + 3 pastured eggs at 5pm, grassfed whey protein shake + upgraded collagen + l-glutamine + paleofiber at 8pm, and then 3 more eggs sometimes as a late night snack.

The beef seems to be the most painful of the foods I eat. The pain is initially mitigated by all the supplements listed above, but usually 3-5 hours after eating the beef the painful burps begin, and sometimes it becomes too unbearable that I have to take alka-selzter.

I usually only eat carbs in the form of white rice and broccoli twice a week, though I eat massive quantities. (of course the Manuka Honey is adding to that now.) - wondering if the lack of daily carbs/starch is the culprit, I've begun eating broccoli every day.

The only day in the past 3 months that I have had total relief from GERD was 2 days ago when I had an all out cheat day!? Instead of bulletproof coffee, I drank coffee with cinnabon creamer, I ate glazed donuts, I had Jack in the box curly fries, I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I ate tres leches cake, I had caramel popcorn, oh and I didn't consume any of my daily supplements - and I didn't have a hint of heartburn THE ENTIRE DAY?! In fact, heartburn didn't return until the following day around 8pm - 3 hours after going back to my usual grassfed beef and eggs.

Why in the world would bulletproof food cause me unbearable heartburn for months, and then a cheat day provide me the only day of relief?!

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

I believe that you are not producing enough mucus and need to take in more safe carbs during the week and supplement with Ester C.

Also, if you have H. pylori antibiotics are most likely needed in rotation to reduce it to flora populations. finally, you have no listed anti biofilm supplements whatsoever.

I offer coaching if you are interested on my website.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I believe that you are not producing enough mucus and need to take in more safe carbs during the week and supplement with Ester C.

Also, if you have H. pylori antibiotics are most likely needed in rotation to reduce it to flora populations. finally, you have no listed anti biofilm supplements whatsoever.

I offer coaching if you are interested on my website.

Thank you John! I will look into this, and will touch base with you through your site if I am in need of more wisdom!

edited September 2014

Don't waste anymore more money on supplements none of them will cure your digestion.

As your cheat day has shown you, carbohydrates improve digestion. The mechanism is through your metabolism which slows down and does not function well when carbohydrates are restricted. You should focus on making the majority of your diet carbohydrate until your digestive problems resolve. The easiest sources of carbohydrate to digest are raw honey, orange juice and other juices, as well as watery fruits that lack starch or a lot of fiber. Rice and white potato are also easy to digest but not as preferable to the fructose based sources for increasing digestive capability. You should eat unlimited quantities of the easily digestible carbohydrates and limit fat and protein until your symptoms completely resolve.

Well, rice and potatoes are complex carbohydrates therefore I would not say they are the easiest to digest. Technically, meat would be one of the easiest because the human body has the necessary enzymes, bile, HCL acid to digest it easily. Human beings only make small quantities of amylase, and our bacteria in our intestines have to do all the work when it comes to digesting carbohydrates.

The easiest carbohydrate to digest would be glucose. Most glucose comes in the form of dextrose. They are considered simple carbohydrates. Now the potato that you are talking about and white jasmine rice is mainly glucose, but they still have other carbohydrates that make them complex.

Honey is a great food for most people. But in some people with SIBO it will cause issues because of fructose malabsorption. Juice is not good for most people because of the lack of fiber, which you have criticized on other posts. Orange juice does have some pulp, but it would not be enough. The acidity of orange juice might be helpful in some cases of low stomach acid, but the gas produced from fructose intolerance would cause GERD in people with SIBO. The acid would also cause issues with people with silent reflux by aggravating pepsin deposits in the throat.

Also, eating unlimited carbohydrates with low fat and protein will cause blood sugar spikes from hell, even in a fairly healthy person.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

edited September 2014

Rice and potatoes are digested very early on in the upper gi tract because humans actually make tons of amylase. That is why if you hold white rice or white potato in your mouth it will start to noticeably turn into sugar before you even swallow it. Meat on the hand is not easy to digest.  Humans burn more calories digesting meat and it takes much longer to digest that carbohydrates which should lead you to conclude that it is harder not easier to digest. Further, in order to adequately digest meat humans need to have well functioning metabolisms which make lots of gastric acid. If meat was so easy to digest then why are so many people supplementing betaine hci because they lack enough gastric acid to digest protein.

Fructose malabsorbtion does not cause an inability to digest raw honey. You don't need fiber to cure sibo because it is a condition brought on by a slowed metabolism not by pathogens. Focusing on the bacteria is missing the root cause of digestive problems altogether. Eating large amounts of carbohydrates causes better blood sugar regulation and lower fasting blood glucose levels. Low carb diets result in worse blood sugar control which is why many here have issues when consuming carbohydrates.

Humans do make some amylase in our saliva and a some by our pancreas but we do not make tons of amylase.

• That betaine HCL is bad news, I don't know how DA can recommend that as someone with gut trouble.. Bowel Health expert Jini Patel Thompson says to avoid any supp with so much as a trace of betaine in it, it's one of her primary recommendations. This is something else I found out from her:

There's this "Healthy Gut" capsule I get from a company in San Diego that might fix the problems you're talking about. I've used it for years, what it does is add the right kind of butyric acid to the gut to reset the fermentation cycle. It's really amazing when combined with BPC.  This company does not market their stuff very much, so this is the best video I could find on this product: http://www.viddler.com/v/e404d681

The anti-candida powder they sell is also amazing, but I think you could hack that and just make it yourself by spraying some DE with vinegar and letting it dry.

To get the capsules that "might" fix this, you have to actually call them from the number listed at http://www.worldhealthmall.com/

They don't sell these on their website, probably because they're worried about getting fucked by the FDA. They've also got some other cool stuff there that no one else has. 

• &here's the JPT page on GERD: http://www.listentoyourgut.com/symptoms/40/heartburn-acid-reflux-gerd.html

But following her instructions "might" work 10x faster if you cut out the betaine and get those butyric capsules... Those things have worked really fast for me.