How Are You Guys Dealing With All Your Daily Veggies?

Hi!

Another stupid question of mine.

As I understand - a daily portion of veggies should be around 6-11 cups. The more - the better.

But how are You all dealing with all those veggies? What are Your favorite veggies, and your favourite way of eating them?

It's the squash season now, so I'm (as a squash addict) able to go around 6 cups at my best. But usually? I don't know if I'm albe to go through 4 cups. I like veggies, but - 11 cups is like 22 medium carrots. What, I just shoud go around the day munching carrots all the time? :D

I was thinking about veggie smoothies, but will they really be smooth? Ok, fruit smoothies are smooth, but look at the of most veggies. Carrots? Hard. Tasty, but hard. Celery? The stalks are smooth, but the root? It looks like it could kill a blender in no time.

Any advices? ;)

Tagged:

Comments

• I would like to see answers to this as well. We have to be careful b/c some veggies are also under the starch category and we should only have one serving of starch (OR fruit) per day from what I understand.

Also curious about serving sizes on the BP diet. Is one serving = one cup?

• I would like to see answers to this as well. We have to be careful b/c some veggies are also under the starch category and we should only have one serving of starch (OR fruit) per day from what I understand.

Also curious about serving sizes on the BP diet. Is one serving = one cup?

I had asked the question about the servings one day, check out this topic ;)http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12822-newbie-question-how-much-is-one-serving/

• I eat a salad for lunch and dinner.  It always consists of a tomato, an avocado, 2-3 cups of broccoli or spinach or kale or green beans or cauliflower and often a mix of two.  I've always assumed 1 cup is a serving.  I guess that puts me into the proper amount.

I am low carb so I would never touch a squash save maybe a cup of it post workout.  If I am trying to do something different I will have meat and veg separate and often I cook the veg and drizzle coconut oil on it with pink him salt.  It's alright for a change.

• Do people count the carbs in veggies like broculi, brussels, kale etc?

• lyleglyleg
    edited September 2014
    For breakfast I have 3 eggs and 4 cups of steamed spinach with butter along with a half serving of bp coffee.

A huge salad for lunch containing 4 cups romaine, a whole cucumber, a whole avocado, and a small Apple. I usually eat a chunk of the previous nights meat along with this.

Dinner a 6-8 oz meat and 3-4 cups broccoli or something similar and about 1 cup of sweet potato.

Very easy to eat the recommended amounts imo
  • I don't count carbs unless I am doing something special.  For example, when protein fasting I know I can't eat broccoli in huge quantities because it's protein count is not negligible.  I suppose I would count carbs if my results started to deteriorate.  Why mess with success?

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Veggie smoothies are the way to go! I do one daily.

Avocado, cucumber, Spinach, Kale, Celery, Carrot, Ginger-- really, any BP veggie(s) will work. Toss it in a blender with some ice and coconut milk and, if you want, a BP approved fruit like pineapple or blueberries, and you're all set.

Aside from this smoothie, I also tend to munch on olives throughout the day. With my meals, I'll often eat steamed broccoli, mashed cauliflower or carrots as a side. Ever since I added in the smoothies on a daily basis, I've had little trouble getting my veggies in.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

My TAS2R38 gene is mutated so my bitter taste perception is weak, therefore it makes sense that I like the taste of veg (even raw broccoli), I consume 8 cups of broccoli celery and cauliflower during the day, in addition to spirulina and chlorella.  It is better to treat them as a filler, that is to say, use them copiously to stave off hunger during the daytime, but don't get too full using them with larger meals like at dinner if you are having starches or backloading carbs.  

Do you count the carbs or protein in your non-starchy veggies towards your macro totals? I imagine the carbs in all that broccoli could add up!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Lunch, if I am hungry and remember, is whatever meal I prepped the night prior, mainly rotating broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and kale with grass fed beef lamb or bacon. In the morning I take chlorella and about 5 hours after my bp coffee blue green algae or e3live blue magic with some krill oil. Once a week I will drink a serving of miracle grass powder. Have not had the need to snack like I used to, but keep micro greens and sprouts handy and sometimes carrots and celery. I like to think the different algae help boost my vegetable intake easily.

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.

an easy lunch i repeat a lot is a chopped salad - 170g (4 servings) of greens and 170g (2 servings) of chopped raw veggies, an avocado, a few boiled eggs and/or chunks of meat, maybe some seeds or nuts, then dress it with an MCT-mayo "ranch"... that's six servings of veg if you count the avocado as a fat serving.

then for my evening meal a "veggie burger" which is simply 60g (about 2oz) of ground ruminant or game and 85g (one serving) of mixed chopped veggies - whatever you've got on hand, doesn't even need to make sense - mush it all together with an egg white and cook it off in a skillet or bake it. then serve that smothered with a "gravy" made from 85g of something pureed - like of cauliflower - with butter and the egg yolk along side two other steamed veggies (85g each) topped with butter and you've got four servings of veg.

that'll get you up to 10 servings without much effort.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I make green shakes, gigis in n out burger, soups, salads and most often I just tike a bunch of broccoli, brussel sprouts or whatever, steam it and put spices on it put a steak or fish next to it and drink some bp tea. that's qucik and easy. sometimes when I have the time I make more fancy stuff like oven chips, muffins, coleslaw..........

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• steve001steve001
    edited October 2014

I use my nutribullet to make veggie soups especially at night time for easier digestion. I just steam a ton of veggies then blend them with water butter sea salt and add some ACV for some flavor. Oh yeah not to forget the MCT oil.

• edited October 2014
    How about a little raw fresh juicing of veggies that don't need to be cooked... I favor nutrient dense wild edibles.

Also I have heard of people taking a maximum of 20g of spirulina a day.

Ben Greenfield has been talking about marine phytoplankton too.

www.beingcatalyzed.blogspot.com