What Can I Put Into My Coffee While Intermittent Fasting

I have been drinking bulletproof coffee for a while now and have a bastardized it a bit. I am wandering if I need to take anything out while practicing bulletproof intermittent fasting. 

Upgraded Coffee 

Grassfed Butter

Brain Octane 

Upgraded Chocolate 

Upgraded Collagen 

Chaga extract in powder form

Will the chocolate(which i love) and the collagen mess me up?

Comments

• I have been drinking bulletproof coffee for a while now and have a bastardized it a bit. I am wandering if I need to take anything out while practicing bulletproof intermittent fasting. 

Upgraded Coffee 

Grassfed Butter

Brain Octane 

Upgraded Chocolate 

Upgraded Collagen 

Chaga extract in powder form

Will the chocolate(which i love) and the collagen mess me up?

Can keep the brain octane and grass-fed butter in for it. Remove the collagen. Chocolate I'm unversed on as I don't consume it myself.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • The collagen may take you out of / not allow you to get into ketosis, as protein can be converted into sugar. If it's only ~10g, some people might be able to handle that. It's fine if you are not looking for fat loss. 

The chocolate is OK unless it's not in huge amounts - enough where the carb or protein content makes a difference. 

Don't know about chaga. 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

The collagen won't let you trigger autophagy.

Fat yay, carbs and protein nay.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014
    Ip dip do, doggy did a poo, chicken did another one, out goes you. Get rid of the protein keep everything else.

If your that worried by the chocolate go with cocoa powder instead.
  • I add some cocoa nibs to give it a nice crunchy texture, plus some vanilla bean and cinnamon powder on top ;-)

Bulletproof-Coffee-Oct14_zpsf84a5376.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Thanks for all the advice. I removed the protein and chaga and have moved those to an after dinner drink. I left the chocolate because I love it and the coffee just didn't taste right without it. 

I have only done one day of IF and I have to tell you I feel amazing this morning. So weird how such a little change can make the difference so quickly. 

• That looks delicious :D

I add some cocoa nibs to give it a nice crunchy texture, plus some vanilla bean and cinnamon powder on top :wink:

Bulletproof-Coffee-Oct14_zpsf84a5376.jpg

• The collagen won't let you trigger autophagy.

Fat yay, carbs and protein nay.

The collagen blocks autophagy? Really? I'm surprised because Dave suggests adding collagen to BPC a lot, especially for women. I think I remember hearing it would lessen ketosis, but I don't know if it should block either ketosis or autophagy.  Please give links if you have any hard info on this, anyone?  I really would love to confirm that.

• The collagen blocks autophagy? Really? I'm surprised because Dave suggests adding collagen to BPC a lot, especially for women. I think I remember hearing it would lessen ketosis, but I don't know if it should block either ketosis or autophagy.  Please give links if you have any hard info on this, anyone?  I really would love to confirm that.

I'd like to know as well. I was just listening to a few podcast while cleaning today and just heard him saying he puts collogen powder in his coffee to make it creamier. Oddly enough, I noticed that I haven't lost nearly the same amount of weight that I lost back in april by IFing. I also add upgraded chocolate powder to mine, love the taste of it

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

• edited October 2014

Has anyone experienced the feeling of not wanting to break the fast? When I break it and eat I feel tired and run down. I am eating high quality foods. I just loose my energy for the day. 

I ate today because I knew I should not because I was hungry. 

• Has anyone experienced the feeling of not wanting to break the fast? When I break it and eat I feel tired and run down. I am eating high quality foods. I just loose my energy for the day. 

All the time actually, I have my coffee in the morning, then again at 12 pm..and when I get home at 6 pm or so..I really don't want to eat at all, I do anyway but I actually hate it, I thought it was just me though

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

• Has anyone experienced the feeling of not wanting to break the fast? When I break it and eat I feel tired and run down. I am eating high quality foods. I just loose my energy for the day. 

I get hungry at 2 or 3.  If I had a second coffee at noon like DTBruce then I might go till later..  Not sure what I'd do if I really was not hungry - maybe eat a very small meal? 

• The collagen blocks autophagy? Really? I'm surprised because Dave suggests adding collagen to BPC a lot, especially for women. I think I remember hearing it would lessen ketosis, but I don't know if it should block either ketosis or autophagy.  Please give links if you have any hard info on this, anyone?  I really would love to confirm that.

To trigger autophagy, you have to consume less than 20g of protein.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Thank you, Firezombie!! That's great to know. I have a question, too.. 

Okay, the Bulletproof Collagen package says it has 7.8 grams protein per TBSP,  and I use about 1.5 TBSPS of it in my coffee in the am, so I'm at about 12 grams. So I'm under 20 clearly... but then 6 hours later I will usually have protein again in my lunch. So this means I'm probably autophagy-ing until I eat lunch?

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014
    What of the 48mg of salt per tbsp in the collagen too. Is this to do with:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v217/n5124/abs/217168a0.html

Not all proteins are equal.