Racetams And Jaw Clenching Without Choline Supplementation

I've been taking racetams for a while (Oxiracetam and Aniracetam) and love them.  Initially, when I supplemented with 300mg of Alpha GPC, I would get bruxism so I stopped taking it and assumed I was choline dominant or getting plenty through diet. No bruxism after I stopped Alpha GPC and also did not get any headaches from the racetams.  All good.

A week or so ago, I decided to try Phenylpiracetam to replace the Oxiracetam in my stack.  I love it and use it sparingly, but I have noticed the jaw clenching is back but I'm not taking any choline supplements.  I've not heard of jaw clenching as a side effect of taking racetams alone but was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

Comments

• I've been taking racetams for a while (Oxiracetam and Aniracetam) and love them.  Initially, when I supplemented with 300mg of Alpha GPC, I would get bruxism so I stopped taking it and assumed I was choline dominant or getting plenty through diet. No bruxism after I stopped Alpha GPC and also did not get any headaches from the racetams.  All good.

A week or so ago, I decided to try Phenylpiracetam to replace the Oxiracetam in my stack.  I love it and use it sparingly, but I have noticed the jaw clenching is back but I'm not taking any choline supplements.  I've not heard of jaw clenching as a side effect of taking racetams alone but was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar?

I have. Usually it's intermittent, though; 5 minutes max.When I got longer-term bruxism, I was able to trace it back to getting more choline in my diet than I realized; via the liposomals I take (the lecithin), ALCAR and a few other sources. Once I reduced the choline intake, the bruxism passed

Now, notably that level of choline intake only produced bruxism when combined with aniracetam, but not without the racetam. I have no explanation for this, but I did find a solution in reducing my dietary and supplemental choline that I didn't realize I was getting (didn't realize those things were choline sources or could increase choline).

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • @DanteRomero - What kind of choline were you supplementing with and how much?  Got my first racetam headache today (my God, ouch!), likely a result of choline depletion from regular racetam use with no choline supplementation.  May have to go back to some intermittent Alpha GPC supplementation every other/couple of days and see if that helps.  I think I'd rather live with the jaw clenching than have another one of those headaches.

• @DanteRomero - What kind of choline were you supplementing with and how much?  Got my first racetam headache today (my God, ouch!), likely a result of choline depletion from regular racetam use with no choline supplementation.  May have to go back to some intermittent Alpha GPC supplementation every other/couple of days and see if that helps.  I think I'd rather live with the jaw clenching than have another one of those headaches.

Typically, I take no choline with it from the usual sources (Alpha GPC, etc.), because I take ALCAR daily as part of my CILTEP stack. And I also get lecithin from my home-made liposomals which is a choline source. These accidental sources seem to keep me afloat.

In the beginning, however, I did need more choline. I got major spaciness if I didn't take choline with it, but then due to some lack of research I ended up hitting extreme choline toxicity. Ever since, I have required zero additional choline supplementation over and above those two accidental ones mentioned above.

I've had a headache before from it but never a bad one. Like a bit of pain for 5 mins. Not even distracting. The strange, though, is that many of the symptoms for too little choline are exactly the same as having too much. This is in part what lead me to get choline toxicity. I was so sure I needed more because of the side-effects, but I actually needed less. Taught me to always research the full spectrum of side-effects before performing self-diagnosis.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.