What Do You Want Your Hrv Levels At?

There is a lot of general info out there on HRV, but very little on what are actually good HRV levels.

It seems that 60-90 is normal with the higher the # the better. However, during my workout today I noticed mine dropped way down to 5 at one point. Is that bad or normal? A few hours later and I am at 50.

What are considered good numbers that mean you can exercise again?

Im using Polar h7 and HRV Sense.

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• From that PowerPoint...

So it looks like above 90 is good to go and under 90 is generally meaning you should rest more?

• There is a difference between your HRV baseline and using it for optimizing training. Where it comes to optimizing it for training it is primarily relative - as long as it's not too low. You'll see your HRV increase through recovery to its baseline, and then you train, then it dips, and takes a number of days to recover based on your condition.

The other thing to mention is that you have to be very careful with how you take your measurements - sitting, vs. standing, vs. lying down, first thing in morning - all can impact it by up to 10 points. So make sure you compare like-to-like every time to make it usable.

As an example, currently my HRV is never at 90 because of where my baseline is at - and that's in optimum control conditions (lying down, rested etc.). So focus on the relative change - in any case the apps all do this automatically. E.g. ithlete and Sweetwater.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity