Help With Brain Injury!

Need some suggestions for BP products that I can introduce into my husband diet. He suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm in July and is having to learn how to do things all over again - talk, eat, write, walk, bathe, brush teeth and hair, get dressed, etc. The part of his brain that was most affected is the PCOMM artery, which affects communication and emotion. Currently he is on a vegan drip into his feeding tube. He receives his berries, fruit and veggies and protein from Juice Plus supplements dissolved in water and injected into the peg of his feeding tube. We have been drinking BP coffee for 2 years and was wondering what would be the best one or two BP products I can slowly introduce into his system, since obviously he cannot drink coffee. I was looking at Glutathione Force and Upgraded Aging Formula to start. They had him on Provigil for a stimulant, but it is producing agitation and repetitive movements and ticks. They had to give him Valium to calm down, but then then of course he sleeps and can't participate in therapy. So they took him off of it 2 days ago. I was looking at introducing CILTEP and Alpha Brain later. He doesn't need increased energy right now, just mental focus, clarity and something that will help heal the damaged parts of his brain. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Deana

Comments

• edited October 2014

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.  Did he actually have an associated stroke?

I think folate (MTHF) and omega 3 would help.  Oxaloacetate (Upgraded Aging) is supposed to be neuroprotective.  Glutathione won't hurt but I'm unsure how much it will help.

I also think anything that helped mitochondria would be helpful (ubiquinol, PQQ, nicotinamide riboside).  I know Thorne has a Neurochondria supplement.  Also acetyl carnitine, phosphatidylserine, magnesium threonate.

Perhaps also music therapy?

I can't comment on nootropics as I'm reluctant to take them myself.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

• If that happened to me, I would want to focus on ingesting the physical building blocks that allow new neural pathways to be formed and myelinated. Brain cells (neurons) communicate via synapses, places where electrical signals jump over very small distances from one neuron to another. Because the distance must be short, neurons have dendrites and axons, basically long threads that reach out from one neuron to another. To re-learn skills, new dendrites and axons must be built, perhaps over greater distances than before. Therapy will create a beneficial stress in the brain, pushing it to form these structures, but they must be built out of something. Once they are built, if you want them to work quickly, they must be myelinated (sheathed in fatty Schwann cells.) Myelination speeds up communication between neurons by hundreds or thousands of times, and is the difference between being able to move your hand in front of your face, and instinctually catching a ball thrown at your face before it hits you. When we learn something, we've created a new connection. When we are able to use that connection instinctually or very quickly, it's become myelinated. 

900px-Complete_neuron_cell_diagram_en.sv

From my limited research I believe the primary building blocks of both the new connections and the myelin sheathes to be plenty of EPA/DHA (ideally krill oil, or high quality fish oil if it needs to be liquid,) high quality saturated animal fat (grass fed butter) and cholesterol (pastured egg yolks, raw or very runny.) Those can all be administered in liquid form. Hopefully someone here with more biochemistry knowledge can comment on which is most important or anything I've missed. 

Brain Octane oil or just MCT oil could be used to hopefully supply energy to areas of the brain that have trouble running on glucose, as well as provide extra energy for the areas that can run on glucose and fat. I do not believe Brain Octane or MCT will act as a physical building block, however, just provide energy. 

You might look at Aceytl-L-Carnitine (aka ALCAR) which can cross the blood-brain barrier and stimulate acetylcholine, as well as act as an antioxidant in the brain. It makes some people feel a little antsy though, and it did that to me, but many people just find it's has a beneficial stimulating effect.

Now is also a great time to focus on sleep hygiene: the better the sleep, the better all this stuff will work. There is recent evidence that our brains go through a sort of "cleaning cycle" during sleep, pushing out crap and making room for new growth. 

That's about the limit of my understanding on this topic, but hopefully it provides a good starting point. Best wishes. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

Paul Jaminet talks about ketogenic diets being therapeutic for brain injuries in his book & on his web site.

here is a link to the tag Ketogenic Diet on his web site which has two pages of posts on that tag (some relevant, some not) (link to 2nd page).

& here is a related study; Clinical review: Ketones and brain injury

fake it till you make it

• I know JJ Virgin used high dose fish oil for her son's therapy.  I don't think she believes it to thin the blood (at least not too much to increase risk of bleeding).  But your husband's primary problem is bleeding from an aneurysm rupture and I would be wary about anything that would increase risk of bleeding.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

So has anyone any idea how long the intervention with 20g fish oil per day went on?

Also what are possible side effects? Blood thinning?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training