Is Canned Pumpkin Ok?

Organic; no other ingredients - it's really easy for me and I hate to cook. I know I risk BPA from the can, but might it throw me off track? I've been consuming it and thought I'd finally post the question.

Comments

• Whoops - just looked up the company and the cans are PBA free. Sorry forum people...
  • Try stopping the canned pumpkin for four to six weeks, then eat a ton of it and see how it effects you. If you are sensitive to this product, you should notice a difference in the way you feel afterwards.
  • just curious what ways are you eating the pumpkin?? cant just be pies image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> just wondering cause i love pumpkin but not sure of many ways to eat it other than the regular few.

• Try stopping the canned pumpkin for four to six weeks, then eat a ton of it and see how it effects you.  If you are sensitive to this product, you should notice a difference in the way you feel afterwards.

Will do. As a side note - judging by your suggested time frame, I'd guess that I'm a little impatient with this entire process - thanks for putting it in perspective.
  • 'Tyler wrote:

just curious what ways are you eating the pumpkin?? cant just be pies image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> just wondering cause i love pumpkin but not sure of many ways to eat it other than the regular few.

I make green smoothies with it and also soup with bone broth, coconut milk and diced sausage...that's about as creative as I can get for now! Oh and I use it as a facial mask, but you probably don't care much about that image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• I make green smoothies with it and also soup with bone broth, coconut milk and diced sausage...that's about as creative as I can get for now! Oh and I use it as a facial mask, but you probably don't care much about that image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

In podcast #6 this is what Dave tells us about pumpkin:

Pumpkin is relatively low carbohydrate, in fact it‟s very low carbohydrate and

low calorie, which makes it the ideal carrier for things like butter, and egg yolks, and maybe

even a sugar alcohol. I‟m a big fan of bulletproof pumpkin pie where you can actually use the

pumpkin as a way to absorb more healthy fats but if you just want to steam it or just want to

puree it. I feed it to my kids quite often that way and they like it sometimes with cinnamon and

sometimes with just salt. It‟s definitely on the bulletproof diet but it‟s not something you should

have by itself because it doesn‟t have enough fat or protein in it but it‟s a great vegetable that

isn‟t going to have a big impact on your carb levels for the day. You don‟t want to have too

much carb and it doesn‟t have a ton of fructose in it either so it‟s pretty good. Overall, I‟d put it

on the green side.
  • edited November 2012
    Yes this is awesome news for a pumpkin lover like myself!! Going to experiment with some ideas I have. And also if I open a can of pumpkin how should I keep it just covered in the fridge and how long will it last?
  • Yeah - this is great news; I kept considering taking it out of my meal plan, because it was canned. Really good to know I don't need to fret over it!!!
  • 'Tyler wrote:

Yes this is awesome news for a pumpkin lover like myself!! Going to experiment with some ideas I have. And also if I open a can of pumpkin how should I keep it just covered in the fridge and how long will it last?

What are your ideas? I need some - I lack food creativity. I put mine in an air-tight canister and it keeps for about a week or so.
  • Anyone have a recipe for BP coffee with pumpkin? Something sort of like the Starbucks pumpkin latte?

• Anyone have a recipe for BP coffee with pumpkin?  Something sort of like the Starbucks pumpkin latte?

I tried one recipe that I can try to find for you, but it was gross - I dumped it out.