Feeling Very Weak - What Am I Doing Wrong?

edited October 2014 in General Discussion

I've been on the bullet proof diet for 2 days now.

Went to the gym today and I ran out of energy so fast it was scary. I usually do around an hour weight lifting and today I coudln't lift as heavy and I was zapped at around 20 minutes. I started to feel nauseous so I just gave up and hit the sauna. Now ive just been feeling very run down and depressed all day.

I can't stand coffee so Instead of the bullet proof coffee I'm doing an organic white tea with coconut oil. Then shortly afterwards I had 2 eggs, an avacado, cucumber, kalamata olives and a small scoop of houmous. This is what I consumed before the gym.

For dinner ive been doing what i think is right by trying to get mostly fats with some veg and protien. For example last night I had a green salad, with avocado, anchovies and olives. I've ordered my grass fed beef and will be adding that next week when it arrives.

My main goals are to improve strength, stamina, and brain power! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I really don't understand that post. Too much info to take in. I just thought the bullet proof diet would increase my energy and stamina and at the moment it's done the opposite. Been 2 days and just spent a load on grass fed beef... feeling really low at the moment asking my self is this really for me?

you will have to do the math by yourself but from what I see is that you are doing heavy workout and you do not eat enough. If you are following a ketogenic diet and do workouts several times a week you are going to crash. You will also have to eat lots of fat and less than 30g carbs. If you already suffer from adrenal fatigue already you may feel worse with a diet like this. so you will need to make adjustments to your macro nutrient intake. sorry if you can't do it yourself maybe one of the athletes will help you then. What's that humus made of by the way?

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• It takes time for your muscles to start using fat/ketones as its energy source. This is commonly reffered to as becoming "keto-adapted."

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

If you used to eat higher carb than this you will need some time to adapt to use fat for energy instead of sugar. This will take much more than just two days. MCT oil should help. However since you workout it's more likely that you need more carbs, after training.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Ok that must be my problem. I was eating mostly carbs before. I've been feeling super cranky today, and nothing seems to be working right... my brain or body! I just hope this doesn't last too long. Any idea how long it will take before I start seeing the benefits of this diet?

Thanks

• edited October 2014

you will have to do the math by yourself but from what I see is that you are doing heavy workout and you do not eat enough. If you are following a ketogenic diet and do workouts several times a week you are going to crash. You will also have to eat lots of fat and less than 30g carbs. If you already suffer from adrenal fatigue already you may feel worse with a diet like this. so you will need to make adjustments to your macro nutrient intake. sorry if you can't do it yourself maybe one of the athletes will help you then. What's that humus made of by the way?

Thanks... I think my brain just isnt in the right state to go through that post and do the maths right now. I will look at it again when i'm feeling better. I'm about 85 kilos... prob around 18% body fat. I let my self go a bit since the birth of my son 5 months ago, but now I have some more free time and I'm trying to get everything sorted out. I'm doing a weight session 3 times a week. Split like this: chest and tris, back n shoulders, legs and abs.

I just want to get down to about 12% fat so I can see my abs again, and build up more strength. The bullet proof diet says not to eat carbs until the evening. Would it mess things up if I ate some banana / dates before and after my work out like I use to?

Oh and the houmous is mostly chick peas, with a bit of tahini, lemon juice and a touch of garlic (all organic)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited October 2014

I'm doing a weight session 3 times a week. Split like this: chest and tris, back n shoulders, legs and abs.

I just want to get down to about 12% fat so I can see my abs again, and build up more strength. The bullet proof diet says not to eat carbs until the evening. Would it mess things up if I ate some banana / dates before and after my work out like I use to?

The level of training you are doing (assuming each of the 3 sessions is an hour, the duration mentioned in your first post) is not in line with the Bulletproof diet. You can use Bulletproof principles, but will have to modify the diet. Jason's post on BPing the athlete mentioned earlier does that. 

Ideally you could train later in the day, but if not, postworkout carbs, and perhaps preworkout carbs are in order. Ideally you'd choose a carb source with a bit less fructose. 

The food you mentioned in your first post could be a little too low on calories depending on volume. Watch out for that, this is NOT a low calorie diet. 

I agree with the comments about not being "fat adapted" yet. I suspect that when you first started the BP diet, you drained most of your glycogen (stored sugar) before you started running on fat. Or you were still in the process of doing so. Then you hit your workout and just had nothing in the tank. Heavy training is going to require glycogen, I haven't seen evidence that fat metabolism alone can power efforts near max output. I believe that over a longer period of time, this diet has made me metabolically flexible, part of which is being able to switch to fat burning before depleting much glycogen (so I can still do a big workout without pre-workout carbs after a few days of low carb.) I think you're just not there yet. You might consider doing only the diet without training for a week or two to get into the groove, but if you really want to train, pre and post-workout carbs should make that possible. 

• It's normal to take a few weeks to get adapted.  I would cut out the hummus, and eat as much as possible of bulletproof friendly foods this first month. When I started I would eat double what I thought I needed, example:  4 eggs, 2 avocados.  or GF Steak x2 + an Avocado.  

Just stick with it and it'll pay off once your body gets adapted.  It worked for me and thousands of others.

• I've been on the bullet proof diet for 2 days now.

Went to the gym today and I ran out of energy so fast it was scary. I usually do around an hour weight lifting and today I coudln't lift as heavy and I was zapped at around 20 minutes. I started to feel nauseous so I just gave up and hit the sauna. Now ive just been feeling very run down and depressed all day.

I can't stand coffee so Instead of the bullet proof coffee I'm doing an organic white tea with coconut oil. Then shortly afterwards I had 2 eggs, an avacado, cucumber, kalamata olives and a small scoop of houmous. This is what I consumed before the gym.

For dinner ive been doing what i think is right by trying to get mostly fats with some veg and protien. For example last night I had a green salad, with avocado, anchovies and olives. I've ordered my grass fed beef and will be adding that next week when it arrives.

My main goals are to improve strength, stamina, and brain power! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Lower carbs will indeed be noticed as a lower work capacity for weight lifting and other similar endeavors. This could be considered an issue for some sports. On the other hand, less weight lifting yields more results than more weight lifting ... so an enlightened routine wouldn't be so affected by this. I personally consider it a positive constraint, because without the carbs I'm unable to make a bone-headed push past the point I should be when working out.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

Thanks... I think my brain just isnt in the right state to go through that post and do the maths right now. I will look at it again when i'm feeling better. I'm about 85 kilos... prob around 18% body fat. I let my self go a bit since the birth of my son 5 months ago, but now I have some more free time and I'm trying to get everything sorted out. I'm doing a weight session 3 times a week. Split like this: chest and tris, back n shoulders, legs and abs.

Oh and the houmous is mostly chick peas, with a bit of tahini, lemon juice and a touch of garlic (all organic)

Chick Peas are not bulletproof. Google says they contain lots of carbs so by eating that in the morning you will not get into fat burning mode. This is probably one reason that it makes you feel weak.

Another might be that you dont put enough MCT and fat into your tea in order to kickstart ketosis. I t is normal (for me to feel bad sometimes right before I get into ketosis but then I suddenly feel much better).

But as an athlete try having 50g carbs pre workout. So a banana might be fine. Maybe Jason will help you with it. I do training once a week only and have a refeed the same day or the day after. Read this:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-body/

Ok that must be my problem. I was eating mostly carbs before. I've been feeling super cranky today, and nothing seems to be working right... my brain or body! I just hope this doesn't last too long. Any idea how long it will take before I start seeing the benefits of this diet?

Thanks

Try following it for two weeks. Follow the green side for optimal results. Read the instruction on top right of the info graphic as well.

Cheers

How much to eat: