Should I Get A Different Folate?

Hey guys this is what Dave says we should do: 

Dose: >5mg of methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin and >800mcg of folate (5-MTHF or folinic acid, NOT folic acid)

However Im taking Jarrow Formulas Methly Folate which is:

Folate as Quatrefolic, (6S) 5- methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt 

Thanks!! 

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

Hey guys this is what Dave says we should do: 

Dose: >5mg of methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin and >800mcg of folate (5-MTHF or folinic acid, NOT folic acid)

However Im taking Jarrow Formulas Methly Folate which is:  Folate as Quatrefolic, (6S) 5- methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt 

"Should I Get A Different Folate?" No. you are good.

I think Jarrow have actually messed up a bit in the labelling...& they should have labelled it (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt.

If you look at the Quatrefolic web site it is called (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt.  

Also you can have a look at the methylfolate wiki page for other valid names, 5-MTHF is just one of the names (MTHF is just shorthand for methyltetrahydrofolate).

Edit: i have sent Jarrow an email about the labelling. i will give an update when (if) i receive a reply. 

fake it till you make it

• "Should I Get A Different Folate?" No. you are good.

I think Jarrow have actually messed up a bit in the labelling...& they should have labelled it (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt.

If you look at the Quatrefolic web site it is called (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate glucosamine salt.  

Also you can have a look at the methylfolate wiki page for other valid names, 5-MTHF is just one of the names.

Edit: i just sent Jarrow an email about the labelling. i will give an update when (if) i receive a reply. 

Thanks!! So the folate part is good. What about this part ">5mg of methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin" - is that in there, too? 

Thanks!! So the folate part is good. What about this part ">5mg of methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin" - is that in there, too? 

No. the Jarrow Formulas Methly Folate is just folate, it does not include methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin, which is B12.

fake it till you make it

• No. the Jarrow Formulas Methly Folate is just folate, it does not include methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin, which is B12.

Oh- it is! Thanks. I take that as a lozenge in the AM, so I guess I'm covered. Much appreciated, Daz. 

• Dave is basically saying take methylfolate and B12 (he recommends hydroxocbalmin).   Usually 2 separate supplements.

Seeking Health has some nice options for B12.  They even have a lozenge which is Methylfolate & B12 in one.

http://seekinghealth.com/

I would experiment with the different forms of B12 - hydroxy, adenosyl etc.  and find whic one works for you.

• I would experiment with the different forms of B12 - hydroxy, adenosyl etc.  and find whic one works for you.

"works for you" - I've never felt a huge boost from my methylcobalamin, but by B12 levels as measured by WellnessFX are doing great. Is "working for you" just about getting blood levels up, or have you felt any profound change?

"Should I Get A Different Folate?" No. you are good.

Also you can have a look at the methylfolate wiki page for other valid names, 5-MTHF is just one of the names (MTHF is just shorthand for methyltetrahydrofolate).

Edit: i have sent Jarrow an email about the labelling. i will give an update when (if) i receive a reply. 

Jarrow got back to me and confirmed that (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid and (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate is the same thing. 

I have also now found reference to (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid on the Quatrefolic web site here

fake it till you make it

• I just started a b12 complex supplement (probably not the best source but testing it out due to my genetic testing results) and with in 15 minutes I'm almost freaking out with energy, don't know whats up with that.

I wouldn't complain about that!

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com