Anything (Spray, Etc.) To Prevent Mold Or Mildew?

I have a small leak and my carpet is wet and it takes forever to dry and is causing an odd smell.  My building said they fixed it but obviously not because it recurred.  Anything I can spray on it in the interim?  Anyone use anything in particular that works?

The below link mentions:

Air and sunlight

Fresh air and direct exposure to sunlight will eliminate mildew, so portable items like clothing can be hung on a clothesline or placed outside. Just be sure to bring it in before it rains, which can worsen the problem for items that aren't washable.

If your mildewed bathroom or basement has a window, open it up and place a fan inside the window to get some air moving in the space and let in light. Then, get ready to attack the mildew with natural solutions like vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil and baking soda.

Vinegar and essential oils

White vinegar is a safe, natural and very effective mold and mildew killer. A study by a microbiologist at Good Housekeeping found that vinegar is 90 percent effective against mold, and 99.9 percent effective against bacteria.

You can either soak a sponge in full-strength vinegar, or fill a spray bottle and thoroughly soak affected areas. Let it sit for a few hours, and then scrub it with a brush or a coarse scrubbing sponge.

The smell of the vinegar will dissipate within a few hours, but if it bothers you, you can simply add some of your favorite essential oils to the spray bottle to make it more pleasant. Virtually any essential oil will work, but there are some that boost vinegar's mildew-killing power. Not only will grapefruit seed extract tone down the scent of vinegar, it has anti-fungal properties of its own, so it's an ideal addition. 

Tea tree oil may just be the greatest natural mold and mildew killer of all. While it has a strong scent and is not nearly as cheap as vinegar, it has powerful fungus-killing abilities. You can either add two teaspoons of tea tree oil to two cups of water to spray onto affected surfaces, or add a few drops to your vinegar mildew-killing solution.

Baking soda and peroxide

Baking soda is mildly abrasive, so it's ideal for scrubbing away the remnants of mildew and mold. It works especially well in tough spots like grout, where mildew can leave stains behind even after it's killed. Make a paste out of baking soda and water and simply work it into the surface with a scrub brush or sponge. Rinse with white vinegar to eliminate the white residue that baking soda leaves behind.

Hydrogen peroxide is another way to kill mildew naturally. Just apply it full-strength directly to affected surfaces, let it sit for at least ten minutes and then wipe the mildew away.

Mold and mildew preventatives

The best way to prevent mold and mildew from growing in the first place is to be vigilant about leaks. Just a little bit of water leaking from pipes, a sink, a water heater or the roof can lead to a big battle.

To prevent mildew growth in the bathroom, you can keep a spray bottle of full-strength vinegar handy. Spray down shower, bathtub and tile surfaces after each shower or bath and allow it to dry.

Another natural solution for the prevention of mold and mildew is a new product called Zep Commercial Clear Shell. This non-toxic spray uses an anti-microbial by-product of crab shells to create an invisible, long-lasting shield. Sprayed onto a surface after it has been cleaned of mold and mildew, the Clear Shell product prevents future outbreaks.

Ensure that dark, dank basements and other mildew-prone places stay as dry as possible with a de-humidifier, which can pull moisture out of the air and rob fungi of the conditions they need in order to thrive. Choose an Energy Star dehumidifier, which will do the job without consuming excessive amounts of energy. Many de-humidifiers have 24-hour timers that allow you to run them at certain intervals throughout the day.

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/how-to-kill-mildew-naturally#ixzz3GdXZti5S

http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/how-to-kill-mildew-naturally

Tagged:

Comments

• My doctor told me that Windex kills mold. There are a couple other household cleaners but I forget which ones. If you want something more natural you can also use straight vinegar. I use a household cleaner made from essential oils called Thieves cleaner. The same essential oils in the cleaner can be diffused in the air to kill mold spores. Borax is also good on fabric to kill mold so that might work on carpet. I put 1/2 c in with my laundry. You could also get some type of dehumidifier.

We had what we thought was a small leak from our kitchen sink and the mold ended up going under 3/4 of our floor before we discovered it. If your carpet is wet there is a good chance it's under the floor as well. Is there hard wood under the carpet? If the leak is coming from the ceiling it could also be in the walls. Something to think about.

If you are on this site I'm sure you know about the dangers of mold and biotoxin illness. So, you may really want to think about moving as soon as you can if you are renting. I know moving is a pain, but your health is more important.
  • I just heard about the Thieves thing on Ben Greenfield's podcast... can you link to the stuff you use and the cold air diffuser? Do you use the diffuser for any other oils... like lavendar?

• edited October 2014

It's not a leak from the ceiling.  It's from the floor, I presume from pipes running there.  I was told there is concrete beneath the carpeting.  I just poured a bunch of isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide over it.  Hopefully that will at least help kill the smell until they can fix the problem.

My doctor told me that Windex kills mold. There are a couple other household cleaners but I forget which ones. If you want something more natural you can also use straight vinegar. I use a household cleaner made from essential oils called Thieves cleaner. The same essential oils in the cleaner can be diffused in the air to kill mold spores. Borax is also good on fabric to kill mold so that might work on carpet. I put 1/2 c in with my laundry. You could also get some type of dehumidifier.

We had what we thought was a small leak from our kitchen sink and the mold ended up going under 3/4 of our floor before we discovered it. If your carpet is wet there is a good chance it's under the floor as well. Is there hard wood under the carpet? If the leak is coming from the ceiling it could also be in the walls. Something to think about.

If you are on this site I'm sure you know about the dangers of mold and biotoxin illness. So, you may really want to think about moving as soon as you can if you are renting. I know moving is a pain, but your health is more important.

• @ChiGirl46....I just heard about the Thieves thing on Ben Greenfield's podcast... can you link to the stuff you use and the cold air diffuser? Do you use the diffuser for any other oils... like lavendar?

• Here is a link for the Thieves cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Living-Thieves-Household-Cleaner/dp/B00JFC0YDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413813107&sr=8-1&keywords=Thieves+cleaner

I used this diffuser

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-diffusers-burners.html

Here is a link for the thieves essential oil

http://www.amazon.com/Thieves-Essential-Young-Living-Oils/dp/B000OUY8MC/ref=pd_sim_hg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SHRZR462NZT5VAZE5JA

Purify from Ananda has the same blend of oils and is a bit cheaper. It has a little less cinnamon smell and more cloves and eucalyptus IMO.

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/essential-oil-blends.html#purify

Last Winter I was constantly diffusing this in the air and I did not catch all the illness going around at work during flu season. It kills not just mold, but airborne viruses and bacteria as well. Yes, I use the diffuser for other oils. My favorite is a mix of spearmint and some citrus oils like tangerine and lemon.

Bulletproofnovice: that's great there is concrete under the carpet. I hope your landlord fixes the problem soon.
  • Oregano oil is roughly 100x more effective on mold than Tea Tree oil, FYI.

• Thoughts on this? Oil Diffuser..... put lavendar in for sleep.... tea tree or oregano or theives for the air?

• I think that it probably good, but I'm not too familiar with the ones that are mixed with water. The important thing is using one that doesn't heat the oil because it loses some of the medicinal properties when heated. It might not be strong enough for killing mold with thieves, but every little bit should help.