Bulletproof Supplements & Nootropics Guide

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    ^ I've seen testosterone mentioned before (quite a few times), but thyroid is new to me (or I just forgot about it).

fake it till you make it

•  

His products are definitely great, though, and I go straight to his brand to see if they have what I'm looking for, every time, because I believe it will be the best.   

Good info, thanks.  I'm looking into some of the Upgraded Self products and needed an honest review.  May I ask what you've tried and how you have determined that the products are high quality?  

• Hi all, 

I've been curious about the use of modafinil. I am currently 22 years old and looking to begin studying the LSAT/GMAT and want to make sure I am on my best game. My only concern is that if I am "too young" to be using such a powerful nootropic. Can anyone speak on this? I appreciate any information.

Best.

• googlealchemistgooglealchemist Alchemist

I've been following his podcasts and emails for over a year now...probably closer to two. It's come up quite a few times where he talks openly about his (sane) doses of testosterone/thryoid and modafinil usage and the reasoning behind still using them in conjuction with the diet and supplements. As well as how dosages have changed as he keeps 'fixing' himself

I'm always after that ideal where we can fix whatever we damaged from an improper diet or toxic exposure...stuff that wrecked our metabolism over years or decades. Fixing all that so it all functions perfectly on their own for an ideal hormonal environment...that said, if we don't advance enough for that in the next 20 years or so (I strongly believe we will), and nothing better comes up, I will absolutely be using (sane) bio test myself.

Anyways, this is a huge thread I will enjoy going over in depth later...can anyone reference the latest post on best piracetam (and other noo's) timing and dosage? It's been a while since I've used any of them but am gearing up to do so again asap.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Lifestyle Designer, SEO Alchemist, Entrepreneur

• Where can I get high quality Aniracetam/Piracetam? Looking for purest stuff for a delivery in the united states.

Thanks so much!

• I see this is an old thread.. first post mentions bentonite clay.  How are you folks using it?  External? Internal.. how are you getting it down if internal?  Is it constipating?  I have a jar of living clay that I use on skin issues.. zits, boils, bug bites.. just curious about the other uses.

Also, how would diotomaceous earth fit in here?  or would it be overkill?

• The recommended Vitamin K complex is available in Canada:

http://www.amazon.ca/Life-Extension-Advanced-Softgels-90-Count/dp/B004GW4S0G?

you're welcome :)

• Thanks for all of this information.  Been on the diet for a while, really working through the intermittent fasting.  So coffee in the morning and then I do my best no to eat until around 3.  Down about 20 lbs.  Started the supplementation part yesterday.  Just the ten basics covered by Dave in the book/on the blog.  All was well yesterday until I got into the evening.  Then my stomach went south on me.  Not disaster pants, but some very untrustworthy farting and loose stool.  Slept fine, but after taking the morning supplements with my coffee, C, D, A, K, it started up again and my stomach is not really in a happy place.  Is this an adjustment period and goes away or am I doing something wrong here?

• You recommend the 60-count Jarrow Krill oil softgels, but I found this other Jarrow one, 240-count, cheaper, and contains more DHA/EPA per softgel. Do you recommend this one as well?

• great thread 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

I just assume that people would complain about how much money it cost to actually the take some of the things that he does, or look for some excuse, and so he recommends lower quality/less expensive versions of things. It's a little lame to pander to his audience, instead of giving them the truth, though.

As an aside, it's also odd that in a post about supplements, when he's on supplemental testosterone and supplemental thyroid hormone, these get no mention, anywhere.

I think he's afraid that will just give his critics more to latch on to, and dilute his message, or something.

I thought it was common common knowledge on this forum that he sups hormones, or is it not? You'd be foolish to not do that if doing that would improve your health and/or you didn't have a better alternative. Goes perfectly with the whole idea of "biohacking" in my book. How often he shares that, I think, it's a conscious brand/image control.

You recommend the 60-count Jarrow Krill oil softgels, but I found this other Jarrow one, 240-count, cheaper, and contains more DHA/EPA per softgel. Do you recommend this one as well?

If you want krill oil, then that's not krill :)
    --

Thanks for all of this information.  Been on the diet for a while, really working through the intermittent fasting.  So coffee in the morning and then I do my best no to eat until around 3.  Down about 20 lbs.  Started the supplementation part yesterday.  Just the ten basics covered by Dave in the book/on the blog.  All was well yesterday until I got into the evening.  Then my stomach went south on me.  Not disaster pants, but some very untrustworthy farting and loose stool.  Slept fine, but after taking the morning supplements with my coffee, C, D, A, K, it started up again and my stomach is not really in a happy place.  Is this an adjustment period and goes away or am I doing something wrong here?

It was most likely too much magnesium (in one go).

I've been curious about the use of modafinil. I am currently 22 years old and looking to begin studying the LSAT/GMAT and want to make sure I am on my best game. My only concern is that if I am "too young" to be using such a powerful nootropic. Can anyone speak on this? I appreciate any information.

Modafinil wouldn't really improve your mental performance/IQ/memory/etc, it works a bit different. You would only get a minimal benefit if you don't have issues with fatigue at your age. In terms of studying, you would do faar better to do strict sleeping schedule (and sup Mg) along with working out - that would improve your mental capacity in a much more meaningful way. Modafinil would mainly allow to cram longer, but typically your sleep would suffer, and that would reduce your memory quality...
    edited August 2015

has Dave mentioned which thyroid meds he takes...eg. brand/type.

I know there are quite a few options out there.

fake it till you make it

edited August 2015

has Dave mentioned which thyroid meds he takes...eg. brand/type.

I know there are quite a few options out there.

I'm guessing it's NDT, natural dessicated thyroid, as that seems to be what 'people' mean when they say supplementing with thyroid. As far as I can work out.

fake it till you make it

• Hi all, 

Best.

Ever heard about cdp choline ? 

I have used it about a year and it certainly hasnt disappointed.

Google it.

• Just bang out the test. Can't substitute effort with drugs.

Too young for Modafinil anyway....

https://www.google.com/search?q=when+does+brain+stop+growing&rlz=1C1LENP_enUS565US565&oq=when+does+brain+stop+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.5409j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Ever heard about cdp choline ? 

I have used it about a year and it certainly hasnt disappointed.

Google it.

• I see this is an old thread.. first post mentions bentonite clay.  How are you folks using it?  External? Internal.. how are you getting it down if internal?  Is it constipating?  I have a jar of living clay that I use on skin issues.. zits, boils, bug bites.. just curious about the other uses.

Also, how would diotomaceous earth fit in here?  or would it be overkill?

I have used clay internally and externally. Internally its very soothing to stomach and its not constipating at all, You can also take some fiber with it to ease up the possible constipation elimination tho ive never had any from it.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hello, I've been doing l-glutamine at about 20-25 g a day (10 morning, 10 evening), and I keep having my blood sugar kind of spike. Usually this results in a great amount of hunger inbetween meals. How do I get around this problem?

• Hi guys, I have a quick question (I apologize if someone has gone over it already, there is a LOT of info to comb through).  I picked up everything off of Dave's basic supplementation post (https://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/) but had a question about copper; he recommends 1mg/day, but all I could find were 2mg doses; is this ok, or should I try and find a 1mg dose somewhere?  I can't cut these in half, they're caplets...maybe take one every other day?

Basically, just wondering if there is anything bad about taking 2mg/day vs the 1mg/day he recommends in the post.

Thanks,

- Justin

edited December 2015

Hi guys, I have a quick question (I apologize if someone has gone over it already, there is a LOT of info to comb through).  I picked up everything off of Dave's basic supplementation post (https://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/) but had a question about copper; he recommends 1mg/day, but all I could find were 2mg doses; is this ok, or should I try and find a 1mg dose somewhere?  I can't cut these in half, they're caplets...maybe take one every other day?

Basically, just wondering if there is anything bad about taking 2mg/day vs the 1mg/day he recommends in the post.

With copper supplementation it would be prudent to get blood tests first, imo. You do not want a copper overload. 

So test for; Plasma Copper and Ceruloplasmin (Caeruloplasmin). need both to get an accurate picture of copper status. 

Also test for Plasma Zinc. 

I also tested for Manganese myself, possibly another part of the puzzle.

But yes, you do not need to supp copper everyday, you can spread it thru the week to get whatever dose you want.  

This is my current regime (i have taken all the blood tests mentioned above...& plenty more); 

Copper:  1.61 mg p/d average.

Zinc:  23.93 mg p/d average.

Manganese:  1.29 mg p/d average. 

Personally when i make an adjustment to copper/zinc, i adjust both,

this is my ballpark cheat sheet i put together over the years, from various sources (cannot give any specific ref);

Zinc.....Copper

10mg  1.1mg   < Base. Then for every +5mg zinc, increase copper by +0.25mg.

15mg  1.35mg

20mg  1.6mg

25mg  1.85mg

27.5mg  1.975mg

30mg  2.1mg  (probably best to not exceed 2 or 2.1mg copper supp p/d av, even if testing/experimenting with higher zinc dosages)

fake it till you make it

• edited February 2016

Hi everyone! Thanks to OP for his list.

​

After 1.5 years of experimentation and blood tests I am willing to share my current stack options. Still trying to find balance between single-backpack travel minimalism and broad health support.

​
    The minimalist

1) ​LE One/two-per-day

2) Jarrow ​Krill oil

3) ​LE D&K + Iodine

Pros: ultra-portable, 2-month supply perfectly fits into 150cc, 2x100cc & 2x40cc GoStak containers respectively.
    ​Cons: scarcity of antioxidants and magnesium. A doctor advised me supplementing with Magnesium and Potassium after looking at my cardiogram.

The supplement monster

1) LE Mix (like x-per-day but with extra vitamin C, Magnesium, NAC, Green Tea Extract I would otherwise take separately + greens blend)

2) Jarrow ​Krill oil

3) ​LE D&K + Iodine

4a) Rhodiola + LE Adrenal Energy Formula - helped lowering my cortisol and estrogen, but concerned with Cordyceps fungus

4b) Gaia ​Adrenal Health - one less capsule, a bit concerned with phytates from gluten-free Wild Oats Milky seed (Avena sativa), also like their organic/ecologically harvested herbs vs LE

​

​5) R-ALA

6) Turmeric

7) Potassium citrate 400mg / day

8) Jarrow Probiotic

9) looking into LE Ubiquinol + PQQ

10) looking into glucose/triglyceride/HbA1c control to sustain HbA1c < 5.0

Pros: accounts for pretty much everything
    Cons: not sure about Mag form proportions, the monster takes up at least 5 times more space than the minimalist approach. Ah-ha, Pareto's Law at its best. :-P

• edited March 2016
    Looked more into adrenal fatigue, John Brisson's supplement thoughts and gave a careful consideration to various Thorne supplements (see PDFs attached for comparison). There seems to be an interesting development from Thorne - their 2/day formula lists glycine mineral chelates just as John suggested (but way, way too low B5, I even thought it was a typo). Highly praised Detox nutrients formula seems way overpriced for an extra bit of NAC, RLA, Curcumin and Green Tea. LE Mix offers more for less. But more also means a horseload list of fillers with even possibly-GMO maltodextrin.

Rationale behind the following stack:
    - avoid fillers, Mg stearate and possibly-GMO maltodextrin (hello to Life Extension and their perfectly logical filler-need explanations!)
    - focus on adrenal support (C, B5, pantethine, Mg glycinate, Holy Basil)
    - would need to supplement extra C, D, K in addition to any multivitamin, B5 to some of them
    - "take what you understand, if in doubt don't" VS "this formula with rhino balls extract may help me"

The stack
    1) Vitamin A - Thorne 25,000 IU (0.5-1 cap/day?)
    2) Vitamins B - Thorne Stress-B complex (1 cap/day),
    3) Pantethine - Thorne seems overpriced, considering Jarrow
    4) Vitamin C - American Health Ester-C (4 caps/day)
    5) Vitamin D+K - Thorne D/K2 drops (5+ drops/day for 5000IU+ D3)

6) Mg - Pure Encapsulations Magnesium glycinate (4 caps/day for 480mg elemental Mg) OR Doctor's Best Mg glycinate/lysinate if unavailable
    7) Zn, Se, Mn, Cr, Mb, B, V - Thorne Pic-Mins (2 caps/day), would prefer some glycinates and OptiZinc according to John, but a cap for each mineral will be too much
    8) Iodine - Detoxadine / Survival Shield / other nascent iodine? Not decided yet, would prefer something from iHerb due to int'l shipping issues.

9) Adrenals - Gaia Herbs Holy Basil, decided to drop multi-herb caps
    10) Omega 3 - Jarrow Krill oil
    ----

Thorne Basic Nutrients' 6 caps would cover 5-6 caps (A?, 1 B, 1 C, 1 Mg, 2 multimineral) from this stack and could eliminate 2-3 bottles (Vitamin A, vitamin B complex, multimineral). It also bothers me with its vitamin A form (ton of beta-carotene) and possible excessive vitamin E dosage at 400 IU. I am generally not sure if vitamin E supplementation is needed at all.

Also considering R-ALA, NAC and Ubiquinol+PQQ
    Personally, I would look for a better Vit c option than calcium ascorbate, ie. sodium ascorbate or magnesium ascorbate, if you are after a buffered vit c.

fake it till you make it

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

Hi guys, I have a quick question (I apologize if someone has gone over it already, there is a LOT of info to comb through).  I picked up everything off of Dave's basic supplementation post (https://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/) but had a question about copper; he recommends 1mg/day, but all I could find were 2mg doses; is this ok, or should I try and find a 1mg dose somewhere?  I can't cut these in half, they're caplets...maybe take one every other day?

Thanks,

- Justin

Don't do 2mg/daily. Better to just eat liver once a week, in all honesty. Copper accumulates.

The stack

1) Vitamin A - Thorne 25,000 IU (0.5-1 cap/day?)

2) Vitamins B - Thorne Stress-B complex (1 cap/day),

3) Pantethine - Thorne seems overpriced, considering Jarrow

4) Vitamin C - American Health Ester-C (4 caps/day)

5) Vitamin D+K - Thorne D/K2 drops (5+ drops/day for 5000IU+ D3)

6) Mg - Pure Encapsulations Magnesium glycinate (4 caps/day for 480mg elemental Mg) OR Doctor's Best Mg glycinate/lysinate if unavailable

7) Zn, Se, Mn, Cr, Mb, B, V - Thorne Pic-Mins (2 caps/day), would prefer some glycinates and OptiZinc according to John, but a cap for each mineral will be too much

8) Iodine - Detoxadine / Survival Shield / other nascent iodine? Not decided yet, would prefer something from iHerb due to int'l shipping issues.

9) Adrenals - Gaia Herbs Holy Basil, decided to drop multi-herb caps

10) Omega 3 - Jarrow Krill oil

----

Thorne Basic Nutrients' 6 caps would cover 5-6 caps (A?, 1 B, 1 C, 1 Mg, 2 multimineral) from this stack and could eliminate 2-3 bottles (Vitamin A, vitamin B complex, multimineral). It also bothers me with its vitamin A form (ton of beta-carotene) and possible excessive vitamin E dosage at 400 IU. I am generally not sure if vitamin E supplementation is needed at all.

Also considering R-ALA, NAC and Ubiquinol+PQQ

Vit A is generally unnecessary in my book, just eat your liver once a week or so and you'll be covered.

Don't over-do it. Unless truly deficient in certain stuff or tackling a specific issue, the benefits of vast supplementation are miniscule and unquantifiable.

For example, if you took Mg, as well as that D+I+K daily, and then took a full multi once every few days, you'd be covered for most things. Plus anything else for a specific purpose. Popping pills like there is no tomorrow is simply a waste of money - there is no "super optimal" mix.

• edited April 2016

Vitamin A is small, not too pricey and would last 6 month. Quality liver may not always be available to me due to travel.

Not supplementing with iodine yet. But I have to say that I feel better on the last custom stack than I felt on LE Mix (for less bucks!). And I remember no perceivable difference between LE mix and LE 2/day.

I like Doctor's Best Mag, much better then Mag Citrate I was supplementing some time ago.

• Thomas_BPThomas_BP
    edited October 2016

Anyone tried tribulus? I am interested for its potentially effectiveness on tremors?

• HGRHGR
    edited July 2016

I take ALCAR form Jarrow on a daily basis, but my latest bottle has a very salty taste on the outside of the pills. Maybe, some pill has been broken. Is this normal? Is it a sign of bad quality? Is it bad?

• Is it really beneficial to buy whey protein from grass fed cows? What this guy says in attached link seems to make sense to me.

http://jymsupplementscience.com/organic-whey-waste-or-worth-it/

• cecowececowe
    edited July 2016

Is it ok to take one softgel of Jarrow's Krill Oil per day instead of two? It's all about money you know...

• This is a great post Thank you for all the info !!

• If I start to use Iodine, and use Thorne Basic IV (wich include 200mcg of Selenium) do I need buy extra Selenium or not?