Bulletproof Supplements & Nootropics Guide

18910111214»

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Mikle39 said:
    If I start to use Iodine, and use Thorne Basic IV (wich include 200mcg of Selenium) do I need buy extra Selenium or not?

note, the 200mcg selenium is if you take 'one serving' which is six capsules.
    & whether you take 6 caps p/d probably depends on the max amount of supplemental Folate you want p/d... 6 caps gives you 1000mcg of folate.

it's actually best to get a selenium blood test done, to see if you need any selenium at all.

edit: is Thorne Basic IV the one that comes with 15mg Iron as well, per serve ? (which you may or may not want)

fake it till you make it

• Hey guys,

I'd appreciate if someone could help me with a potentially silly question:

I got myself potassium bicarbonate in powder form (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0190I28IE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZEFADBZWJMII), because of what Dave said in one of his blog posts ('My preferred forms are citrate and the harder to find potassium bicarbonate. The bicarbonate form is a part of the kreb’s energy cycle and can help you make more ATP.'), and now I'm wondering how much I'm actually supposed to be taking of this... For example, I used to have 100% magnesium citrate in powder form and it was 8400mg of mag in 100g. So if I want to follow dave's suggestion of taking 400mg of potassium at bedtime, how much of the above potassium bicarbonate need I be taking? When I weigh up 400mg of it, it's barely a tip of a knife. Before, I would use 99mg potassium caps, and they're obviously much bigger. And so I'm just very confused on how to approach this without anything on the label.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Don't hesitate to call me out on a stupid purchase with this here, either :#

edited February 4

@gordonloet
    using metric teaspoons as a measure, & it will depend on how 'compact' the potass bicarb is;
    eg.
    For 4g per teaspoon potassium bicarb, 1/4 teaspoon is 1 gram = 390 mg of elemental potassium.
    For 4.5g per teaspoon potassium bicarb, 1/4 teaspoon is 1.125 gram = 439 mg of elemental potassium.
    calced using 39% elemental Potassium (x0.39) < from my notes, but a quick google should confirm for you.

So a level 1/4 tsp of potass bicarb, should give you 390-439mg of Potassium.

fake it till you make it

• Thanks a lot daz <3

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited May 4

I'm playing with some ideas for a revised supplement stack. This is sort of what I'm looking at in my sketch:

Daily:
    * Before breakfast: benaGene (Vitamin C + Oxaloacetate), brain protect (Microdose Lithium + colostrinin), Sea Salt
    * With Breakfast: B5, B9, B12, TMG, K2+D3, Polyphenol / Nootropic / Adaptogen Supplement (cycle), Fish oil, Iodine, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Malate, Brain Octane Oil
    * Before Dinner: Probiotic (cycle)
    * With Dinner: Creatine Monohydrate, Zinc carnosine + Magnesium Malate, Brain Octane Oil
    * After Dinner: Hydrolyzed Collagen or L-Glycine with herbal tea

Polyphenol / Nootropic / Adaptogen supplement cycle (just 1 per day):
    * longevinex (resveratrol + quercetin + green tea extract)
    * elysium:basis (pterostilbene + nicotinamide riboside)
    * curcubrain (curcumin)
    * axon nexus (aniracetam + pycogenol + phosphatidylserine + cdp-choline)
    * nootrobox rise (rhodiola + bacopa + alpha-gpc)
    * pomella (pomegranate extract)
    * neuromaster (coffee berry extract)
    * kyolic (garlic extract)
    * ciltep (ALCAR, artichoke extract, L-phenylalanine, forskohlii extract, b6)
    * gs-15-4 (ginseng extract)
    * ksm-66 (ashwaganda extract)
    * cinnulin pf (cinnamon extract)
    * fisetin
    * eye armor (lutein + zeaxanthin + meso-zeaxanthin + astaxanthin + bilberry)
    * greens powder (moringa, chlorella, or spirulina)

Weekly:
    * Benfotiamine + B2 + B6 + Biotin
    * Selenium + Chromium + Vanadium + Molybdenum + Boron + Silicon + Copper
    * CoQ10 + PQQ + Na-R-ALA
    * Lions Mane, Chaga, Cordyceps, Reishi, or Shiitake
    * Taurine x2
    * Glutathione, Whey, or NAC

Peri-Workout:
    * Scivation Xtend, Thorne Aminos, or Biosteel HPSM

Overkill?

What sorts of tweaks might I want to look into (maybe something like minimal supplements on weekends, or a trimmed down list of just the best studied supplements) ? I'm thinking about shuffling some things around (maybe potassium bicarb instead of citrate and having that before breakfast... but that probably wouldn't go well with ascorbic acid in my stomach... so maybe the vitamin c right before bed?)

I figure a lot of these could be narrowed down to just a couple large supplements if I was able to get them bundled together. The whole thing could be done as just a nice 6-a-day multivitamin which varies by the day. One issue is that if I'm only taking 1 particular polyphenol supplement every 2 weeks or so, a 60 serving bottle lasts over 2 years... and my cabinet would start to look like a pharmacy with all this stuff in there.

• edited June 15

There is a new website that measures the potency and effectiveness of vitamins. Thorne was beat by a few other brands. Also- should our supplements be organic?

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

@QsBrainJuice said:
    There is a new website that measures the potency and effectiveness of vitamins. Thorne was beat by a few other brands. Also- should our supplements be organic?

Organic supplements would be a misnomer. What is that site for that measurement?

@cortext said:

Definitely overkill. How do you know what's working in all this big list?

• cortextcortext ✭✭
    edited August 12

@suntoucher said:
    Definitely overkill. How do you know what's working in all this big list?

On one hand, it seems like a lot. On the other hand, it would basically boil down to a scoop of a plant-rich powder fortified with bio-available minerals and vitamins with a once weekly boost of other minerals / vitamins / plants and some amino acids around exercise. Perhaps cycling those different polyphenols or doing a weekly vs daily stack would itself increase the likelihood of a beneficial response. Eg., the effect of daily coffee consumption is different than intermittent coffee consumption, and many prefer the stack of theanine+coffee to either one in isolation -- what really works well for me is intermittent coffee + theanine + rhodiola, but I find daily rhodiola too much and intermittent coffee too limiting.

Perhaps with some careful note taking and regular labs I could get a feel for if one stack seemed to work better than others. On the recent gundry interview, I think that heart surgeon mentioned taking something like 100+ different supplements a day.

Although tbh, I have sort of gone in the other direction with it. My current stack is coffee in the morning in place of breakfast (black; no added butter), morning exercise, coffee in the afternoon, occasionally some broth or essential amino acids with potassium + salt, then dinner with B12, Folate, Magnesium, K2, D3, and Iodine. It would be nice to try to tack on additional cardiovascular support or some sort of nootropic / productivity booster, but this is getting the job done. Ketones are running pretty high as a consequence which does make me wonder about liver-GSH levels, oxidative stress, and methylglyoxal production / thyroid health / insulin sensitivity -- right now, I'm doing around 40-75g of net carbs at dinner, but the timing of the meal has me up around 2.5mmol/L of BHB before I eat it.

edited August 18

That's the one I use.
    & I 'balance' with Vitamin D3.

In winter I take 10,000A every other day & 4000D3 daily.
    In summer I take 10,000A twice per week & 2000D3 daily.
    I take the D3 in the mornings & the Vit A later in the day, I read somewhere best to take apart, as they may compete.

fake it till you make it

• What's the current best option for Vitamin K since the product Dave recommended ran out on iherb?
    Is there a more inexpensive option regarding the B complex Dave recommends?
    https://de.iherb.com/pr/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/18791

• Hi everyone !

I did get insomnia trouble (sleeping only 6 hours). I have found a solution : 40 mg of PQQ, and vitamin B-50 complex. This stack in the morning make me sleep way longer (7 hours).

I was wondering what else could I possibly add to this stack ? I have a good level of vit D btw :)

• How good is the jarrow b-right complex? Is it an excellent alternative to the more expensive Thorne product recommended by Dave?
    https://de.iherb.com/pr/Jarrow-Formulas-B-Right-100-Veggie-Caps/110

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

@soul_smoothies said:
    How good is the jarrow b-right complex? Is it an excellent alternative to the more expensive Thorne product recommended by Dave?
    https://de.iherb.com/pr/Jarrow-Formulas-B-Right-100-Veggie-Caps/110

I think it's a fine choice.

@soul_smoothies said:
    What's the current best option for Vitamin K since the product Dave recommended ran out on iherb?

@soul_smoothies Which Vitamin K option did you end up going with ?

fake it till you make it

• Anyone noticed taking eye armor while bulletproof fasting affecting Ketosis? I am probably going to move it to later in the day because there may be a tiny amount of sugar in it... I just wanted to have to protection first thing since I use a computer all morning.

@cortext have you seen Polyphenomenal 2.0? Its got a lot of the polyphenols that you've been taking in one capsule so you don't have to cap a punch of powders yourself...

18910111214»