Bulletproof Supplements & Nootropics Guide

Comments

• That actually looks like a great supplement for 1 a day. Dave doesn't mention anything specifically regarding zinc (beyond that most people actually supplement and therefore create a copper/zinc imbalance). But he follows Jaminets work. 15mg would be about right in light of Jaminet's recommendations (his rec is 50mg once a week when you get around 15mg from day). So, +/-.

This doesn't make sense in general. That statement is too generalized.

No, that's just my opinion. I doubt you had that good bout just because of the oil. Unless it helped with some sort of deficiency of yours.

I thought it could be down to the Vitamin D in it, and my body doing cart wheels because it doesn't know what this strange substance is image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .
    There is a vegetarian option... You can fuck off - Frankie Boyle
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

I thought it could be down to the Vitamin D in it, and my body doing cart wheels because it doesn't know what this strange substance is image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .
    It's a poor source for D (and the form is D2)... It could also be due to Vit A, the omegas (likely oxidized...) or just psychosomatic image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • great post. but have you found any of daves recomendations on the dosages of b 6 ?
    'aussie' wrote:

great post. but have you found any of daves recomendations on the dosages of b 6 ?
    I remember him saying that B complexes have too much B6 and that most people are deficient. So you can go from there if you want to sup.
  • Most B complexes contain the wrong form of B vitamins, like beta carotene instead of retinol.

Dave does discuss zinc in his discussion of ZMA in podcast #18. He says that he is a fan of zinc supplementation.
    edited December 2012
    Dave does discuss zinc in his discussion of ZMA in podcast #18. He says that he is a fan of zinc supplementation.
    Yah, but he argued otherwise as well. I'm pretty sure supplementation is smart (in the 15-30mg/day range), but most people: don't supplement or eat enough zinc containing food (thus deficient), don't get enough copper (thus creating a Cu/Zn imbalance) or do it at 50mg+/d (which seems excessive unless deficient).

Regarding any unmentioned supplements, I think it's safe to refer to Jaminet's work - http://perfecthealth...ed-supplements/
  • Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    I have a contribution to the chlorella part image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Use a brand thats grown in a low toxin environment. Avoid grown in Japan. Fractured cell wall and high in CGF (Chlorella Growth Factor), better and even more important if you’re going to be giving it to younger people like kids.

Good brand: Sun Chlorella but expensive.

Dave does 30-40 (pills?) with fish meals.

Source: Podcast 20
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com

• Yah, but he argued otherwise as well. I'm pretty sure supplementation is smart (in the 15-30mg/day range), but most people: don't supplement or eat enough zinc containing food (thus deficient), don't get enough copper (thus creating a Cu/Zn imbalance) or do it at 50mg+/d (which seems excessive unless deficient).

Regarding any unmentioned supplements, I think it's safe to refer to Jaminet's work - http://perfecthealth...ed-supplements/

There is a lot more to mineral absorption and mineral ratios that what I currently understand. For instance, it would appear that the body absorbs calcium above many other essential minerals and they could go undigested. I think that this is where WellnessFX could really pay off.
  • Can you clarify how much K2 you are supposed to take. If I buy Life Extension's K2, should I take 1 or 2 pills? Their one pill has 1,200 mcg of K2 with 200mcg of MK-7 while Dave recommends 2000 mcg with 100 mcg of Mk-7. Wondering if I take 2 pills, will I get an overdose of MK-7?
  • Menaquinone-7 is a form of K2 that is usually derived from the bacteria in fermented soy. [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]It has not been proven than any of the vitamin K family is toxic, but that does not mean that you should take high levels of it every day. In a 1999 study from Lancet, high doses of vitamin K was shown to raise blood pressure in elderly women. The researcher proposed that it was due to the higher absorption of calcium verses other minerals in the diet.

How much K2 are you getting from your diet? You might not need 2000 mcg.
    'NamNam' wrote:

Can you clarify how much K2 you are supposed to take. If I buy Life Extension's K2, should I take 1 or 2 pills? Their one pill has 1,200 mcg of K2 with 200mcg of MK-7 while Dave recommends 2000 mcg with 100 mcg of Mk-7. Wondering if I take 2 pills, will I get an overdose of MK-7?
    From my research, MK-4/MK-7 is considered non-toxic, and the concern is usually the price. You might just look for another supplement that's MK-4 (~1mg) and take that along with it. Will probably be cheaper as well. If you do find such, please drop a link here.
    Suntoucher: Where did you get that LifeExtension was a good source of vit D3? Tried to google it.

LifeExtension D3 contains safflower oil, safflower oil is not considered bp right?

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • It is about 15:1 polyunsaturated.

It is about 15:1 polyunsaturated.

What brand do you use?

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    edited December 2012
    'Pierre wrote:

Suntoucher: Where did you get that LifeExtension was a good source of vit D3? Tried to google it.

LifeExtension D3 contains safflower oil, safflower oil is not considered bp right?
    Probably some show notes link. I personally would consider that amount insignificant (probably in the <100 mg range). And you DO need to get some Omega 6 in your diet. It's an essential fatty acid after all. So if you are clean otherwise, it's beyond insignificant. Although, regardless of which oil based D3 you buy... it might come w/ oxidized fats since PUFAs easily oxidize... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

On the same note - you can also find D3 as dry pills and such. The conclusion of some report (I believe it was from Vit D council) was that they boost serum levels regardless. Even D2 does (but much much less efficiently).

Probably some show notes link. I personally would consider that amount insignificant (probably in the <100 mg range). And you DO need to get some Omega 6 in your diet. It's an essential fatty acid after all. So if you are clean otherwise, it's beyond insignificant. Although, regardless of which oil based D3 you buy... it might come w/ oxidized fats since PUFAs easily oxidize... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />/>

On the same note - you can also find D3 as dry pills and such. The conclusion of some report (I believe it was from Vit D council) was that they boost serum levels regardless. Even D2 does (but much much less efficiently).

Yeah I guess, as long as you take them with fat they will absorb.

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • 'Pierre wrote:

I believe the rapid fat loss protocol page on the blog links directly to the LifeExtension D3 on Amazon.
    'Steve wrote:

I believe the rapid fat loss protocol page on the blog links directly to the LifeExtension D3 on Amazon.

Thanks, going to use them untill I find something better. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the great work Suntoucher. I have been switching over to BP from Atkins and am starting to feel a -lot- better. I am still pretty new to supplement usage, I used this as a guide to build a starter stack for me and was hoping a few people with more knowlege could give me any pointers. What it currently looks like is:

D3->Cholecalciferol->5000 IU->Daily->Morning

Magnesium->Citrate->400 mg->Daily->Before bed

K2->MK-4 & MK-7->2000 mg, 100 mcg from MK-7->Daily->Morning

C->Ascorbic acid crystals->1000 mcg->Daily->Morning/Before bed

Potassium->Citrate->99 mg->Daily->Before bed

Iodine->Kelp Powder->660 mg->Daily->Before bed

A->From fish oil->10k IU->Daily->Lunch

Selenium->Complex->200 mg->Daily->Before bed

Copper->-->2 mg->Every other day->Morning

DHA/EPA->Krill oil->500 mg->Daily->Lunch

B12->Methylcobalamin->1000 mcg->Daily->Before bed

Folinic Acid->-->800 mg->Daily->Before bed

Glutathione->L-Glutamine->1000 mg->Daily->Morning/Before bed

Creatine->Monohydrate->5g->Daily->Morning

Additionally, I am tracking all this information in a excel doc, along with the information I have found about it. I am looking into writing a web app to put all these supplements (and allowing users to add new ones) and create their own stack. The idea is to add meta data for each supplement and show interactions, best practices, ect in a simple UI. If anyone would like to help on the project send me a PM.
    edited December 2012
    Why not more krill?

And why L-glutamine every day?

Sounds like an interesting app image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    edited January 2013
    'TylerC' wrote:

Thanks for the great work Suntoucher. I have been switching over to BP from Atkins and am starting to feel a -lot- better. I am still pretty new to supplement usage, I used this as a guide to build a starter stack for me and was hoping a few people with more knowlege could give me any pointers. What it currently looks like is:

Additionally, I am tracking all this information in a excel doc, along with the information I have found about it. I am looking into writing a web app to put all these supplements (and allowing users to add new ones) and create their own stack. The idea is to add meta data for each supplement and show interactions, best practices, ect in a simple UI. If anyone would like to help on the project send me a PM.
    I'd bump Potassium to 200mg. It's not much. Iodine to 1mg (note it's 660 mcg, not mg). Selenium along with Iodine. Krill to 1g (it's a tiny amount already). Most of the things, unless otherwise noted, are insignificant WHEN to take (except Mag, D3), so I prefer to take them after a meal. Get your D levels tested.

For Glutathione, L-Glut will be ineffective. Definitely not at 1g. It has many other uses in the body - particularly in the gut. So if you want to use it, at least bump it to 10g (it's harmless - simply an amino acid). But in isolation it will not boost Glutathione effectively.

If you want to bump Glutathione, get N-Acetyl-Cysteine, or just start using a bunch of whey (30-50g). Lack of Cysteine is what seems to limit Glutathione production, and whey has enough along with other useful aminos. 10g of whey = ~1.5g L-Glut, for example!
  • Happy New Year Guys.

A few months back I pm'ed a guy on here, who said he was having similar problems with all the fats ie nausea and dull aches in the chest, also sometimes aches in lower left side of my back, I never got a response. So now all the Christmas crap is out of the way am really looking to ramp up my supplements, but I think the first thing I need to get sorted out is those fat enzymes that guy was taking about, could someone recommend some supplements and a brand?.

Thanks
    There is a vegetarian option... You can fuck off - Frankie Boyle
  • For chest pain, I recommend an EKG. I get one every year.

Can you remember the name of the enzyme? Was it lipase?
    A few months back I pm'ed a guy on here, who said he was having similar problems with all the fats ie nausea and dull aches in the chest, also sometimes aches in lower left side of my back, I never got a response. So now all the Christmas crap is out of the way am really looking to ramp up my supplements, but I think the first thing I need to get sorted out is those fat enzymes that guy was taking about, could someone recommend some supplements and a brand?.
    I think Betaine HCL in NOW Super Enzymes (has lipase as well) - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-Enzymes-180-Capsules/857
  • Trader Joe's has cheap Vit D3! And the pill contains olive oil.

Question re KRILL OIL dosage:

Dave recommends 1000mg / day of EPA/DHA and Jarrow Krill oil as the vitamin brand which means I would need to take 10 capsules of it (2 capsules have EPA=115mg and DHA=65gm so total 180mg of both). Then, in his "rapid-fat-loss-protocol" Dave says to take 1 capsule of Jarrow Krill per days. Wtf. I am confused. Can you help reconcile the difference?
  • Zinc + Copper. 1x/day, $3/mo. Choose the other copper if you don't want to take zinc.

For days I am trying to finally conclude my list so that I can order.

Some information is not correct. 15 mg zinc a day? that is not enough.

Does anyone have up-to-date list for iherb?

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com 

For days I am trying to finally conclude my list so that I can order.

Some information is not correct. 15 mg zinc a day? that is not enough.

Does anyone have up-to-date list for iherb?
    Dave has argued both ways with zinc. He never mentioned a dose. 15mg would be consistent with Jaminet's suggestions, who Dave actually mentioned when talking about zinc. So, I just put 2+2.

If you have more details - provide references/links and I'll check and update. All the links should be up to date in the original post (I do maintain it).
  • I wonder what kind of approach Dave takes with the following supplements:

How important do you guys think are supplements like:

Life Extension, Se-Methyl-Selenocysteine, 200 mcg, 100 Capsules (LEX-56710)

Now Foods, Potassium Citrate, 99 mg, 180 Capsules (NOW-01448)

Source Naturals, MegaFolinic, 800 mcg, 120 Tablets (SNS-02028)

Solgar, Sublingual Methylcobalamin, 5000 mcg, 60 Nuggets (SOL-01959)

Life Extension, Vitamin K with Sea-Iodine, 60 Capsules (LEX-15726)

Doctor's Best, Best Serrapeptase, 90 Veggie Caps (DRB-00149)

Neocell, Fish Collagen + HA, Collagen Support Complex, 120 Capsules (NEL-12900)

I got some criticism from an other forum regarding this list:

You can get iodine from iodized salt, berries and seaweed. Vitamin K is in a lot of vegetables. Potassium is abundant in fruits.

I don't have experience with systemic enzymes like Serrapeptase, but they could possibly help lower inflammation. If you are on any blood thinners you should not use it though.

Methylcobalamin is good, many people have an undiagnosed deficiency.

Quote: Se-Methylselenocysteine is an organic selenium compound found naturally in some plants such as garlic, onions, broccoli and wild leeks grown in high selenium soil. It provides the essential trace element selenium which can be incorporated as selenocysteine into the active sites of selenoproteins, such as the antioxidant glutathione peroxidase. This formulation provides a bio-active form of selenium in a convenient, two-piece, vegetarian capsule.*

You don't need this, eat more vegetables from the allium and cruciferous families. Selenium is also abundant in brazil nuts. You only need a small amount of selenium.

I would also ditch the fish collagen and megafolinic.

Is a surplus of these supps (due to additional good nutrition which I have) possible?

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com 

• 'TylerC' wrote:

you might be overdosing on potassium

don't forget that kelp powder contains quite a bit of potassium. In fact, get both my iodine and potassium for the day just from the kelp powder.

Is a surplus of these supps (due to additional good nutrition which I have) possible?
    Do your research. I wouldn't be putting these notes if I thought otherwise, obviously. But it's kind of hard to do that with the ones listed here (except, perhaps Vit A).

The critique is kind of shallow. It's not even precise... Bah, but here we go:

Iodine: salt iodine is likely to be all evaporated, and we use himalyan or some other clean variety... a cup of strawberries has 12mcg of iodine (vs 1mg as we supplement) ... seaweed iodine content is very random, but yes it would be a good source. But do you eat that daily? Exactly. Not to mention the heavy metal risk in it...

Selenium: "high selenium soil" - do you know what that is? Most brazil nuts are moldy, you wouldn't eat them on BP. Just do your research, man, I can't do it for you. But taking only iodine and not taking selenium is unwise in my opinion. They are highly synergistic. More info to your heart's content: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/nutrients/iodine-and-selenium/

Vitamin K: K1 - yes in plants you eat; K2 - no, it only comes from animal sources.

Collagen: yes, I would also ditch fish collagen - get animal's collagen.

Potassium is for Mg absorptions, not for potassium. That amount is insignificant as a Potassium source. We don't eat many fruits.

Folate is for B12... They are related, just like Se/I.

Please do your own evaluations next time - it's such a waste of time to nitpick broscience which even doesn't take into account the context (BP diet). Take a vitamin you are concerned about it, put it in examine.com or just google. Make up your own mind, this is your body!

'icecap' wrote:
    you might be overdosing on potassium

Potassium RDA is 3500 mg. 99mg is not overdosing. Potassium is only supplemented for Mg absorption purposes.