Unfair Advantage Suggestions

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hi,

Started taking Unfair Advantage last evening. Took it again this evening. Last night I had trouble sleeping. Should I avoid taking it at night?

Also, it has xylitol and "natural flavor." Should I be worried about effect on gut bacteria. John Brisson has told me several times that xylitol isn't the greatest for gut bacteria. Sometimes I get concerned about it.

Thanks for your help!

-Rob

Comments

• Hi,

Started taking Unfair Advantage last evening. Took it again this evening. Last night I had trouble sleeping. Should I avoid taking it at night?

Also, it has xylitol and "natural flavor." Should I be worried about effect on gut bacteria. John Brisson has told me several times that xylitol isn't the greatest for gut bacteria. Sometimes I get concerned about it.

Thanks for your help!

-Rob

I noticed that about it wrecking my sleep as well. On the other hand, increasing mitochondrial function while sleeping seems to lower sleep requirement and increase quality of sleep. My solution was to start taking it a couple hours before bed instead. If this isn't for you still, perhaps taking it in the morning is more appropriate.

If you're someone who struggles to fall asleep at times, this may only exacerbate that problem.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I noticed that about it wrecking my sleep as well. On the other hand, increasing mitochondrial function while sleeping seems to lower sleep requirement and increase quality of sleep. My solution was to start taking it a couple hours before bed instead. If this isn't for you still, perhaps taking it in the morning is more appropriate.

If you're someone who struggles to fall asleep at times, this may only exacerbate that problem.

Dante,

Thanks for your input! Last night I slept a little better (and a little faster, cuz I got up earlier than usual). I woke up in the middle of the night and had like a huge bubble of gas (LOL). Could this be the xylitol? I know it gives some people diarrhea. It gave me the sensation of diarrhea, but just gas ultimately. Sorry for the details, lol. I dunno if this is your specialty.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

I'm not crazy about the Xylitol. I use UA, but this is one thing I don't like about it. It only contains a small amount of the stuff, so I'm hoping it won't be too harmful.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• edited October 2014
    There are two other unfair advantage topics in this forum which talk about trouble sleeping, scroll through to find what others have said.

I am still having positive outcomes, , I take mine mid afternoon as I know I would have trouble sleeping.

I have mentioned before I am 58 and am receiving Benefit.
  • Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

There are two other unfair advantage topics in this forum which talk about trouble sleeping, scroll through to find what others have said.

I am still having positive outcomes, , I take mine mid afternoon as I know I would have trouble sleeping.

I have mentioned before I am 58 and am receiving

The ones I saw didn't have any of the side effects, but thanks for pointing them out. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited October 2014

My suggestion is bigger ampules. Anyone remember Squeezit?

BI46WgVCQAEyIAi.jpg

I'm not concerned about the xylitol, but in general I don't need my supplements to have sweetener or added flavors. 

Increased mitochondrial function while you sleep sounds great, IF you don't feel the energy too much to go to sleep. The two times I've taken it before bed, it seems to have led to less sleep that was more efficient (took longer to get to sleep, woke up earlier, felt more rested than I would have expected) which is not necessarily a tradeoff I'm looking to investigate now that my Zeo is dead. 

• My suggestion is bigger ampules. Anyone remember Squeezit?

BI46WgVCQAEyIAi.jpg

I'm not concerned about the xylitol, but in general I don't need my supplements to have sweetener or added flavors. 

Increased mitochondrial function while you sleep sounds great, IF you don't feel the energy too much to go to sleep. The two times I've taken it before bed, it seems to have led to less sleep that was more efficient (took longer to get to sleep, woke up earlier, felt more rested than I would have expected) which is not necessarily a tradeoff I'm looking to investigate now that my Zeo is dead. 

You've summarized the conundrum well. If your someone who has the training that allows you to fall asleep in under 10 minutes easily even if still high on energy, taking it before bed can work. Depending on where you are on that spectrum, taking it earlier instead may be appropriate. As far back as a few hours in advance. But if you really have sleep problems, better off just taking it in the morning.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • When I take it at bedtime, I notice no negatives, but I do wake up earlier, often significantly so, and do feel more rested.  

If money was no object I'd pop 4 ampules a day.  But I have to ration it for important days at the moment.  As a college student, these would be test/exam days.  1 ampule at bedtime the night before, then another ampule 15-20 minutes before the activity itself.  Makes me feel like an assassin when the test is distributed.

• I just started taking it yesterday. I didn't find any usage instructions other than just go take it.

So, a few questions that perhaps have been answered in another thread I've yet to find:

- is there an optimal time of day to take it? I'm taking it in the morning.

- does it make a difference taking it on an empty stomach or not? I'm taking it on a relatively empty stomach.

Then, a question specific to me: I'm having shoulder surgery on Wednesday. Would taking 2 per day have any positive effect on healing? I'd imagine there's significantly increased mitochondrial demand after a surgery, wondering if this product could be of assistance in that regard.

• - is there an optimal time of day to take it? I'm taking it in the morning.

- does it make a difference taking it on an empty stomach or not? I'm taking it on a relatively empty stomach.

Then, a question specific to me: I'm having shoulder surgery on Wednesday. Would taking 2 per day have any positive effect on healing? I'd imagine there's significantly increased mitochondrial demand after a surgery, wondering if this product could be of assistance in that regard.

- Not really. We have some intel that Dave takes it before bed (though we don't know if that's the only time he takes it, probably not) which is likely due to the fact that mitochondria are involved in the brain cell flushing process that occurs as we sleep. Some of us have trouble falling asleep after taking it, some don't, but most have reported feeling a bit more rested in the morning. If you see my comments above, and SteveBoogie's, we both got less sleep but felt more rested. I generally take it in the morning.

- John Brisson has commented that taking it with fat should help absorption. I often take it at the tail end of my BPC (once it's mostly cooled down, since the package says store away from light and heat) but I don't notice any problems taking it on an empty stomach. Based on the speed with which I notice the effects, I think the liposomal delivery system must be working pretty well, regardless of what's in my stomach. 

I would take UA after a surgery. BUT I think the bigger wins are collagen, followed by other good building blocks (other proteins and fats from good sources that make good cells and cell walls,) and then maybe 3rd level importance is the Unfair Advantage. Also on that 3rd level, I had good results with cissus quadrangularis after a shoulder injury without surgery. I wrote about my shoulder situation and the CQ here, which may be of use to you. 

• I recall dave mentioning that turmeric after surgery is a good idea. Not before, because it thins blood. But afterward to speed healing of the wound.

• ACH85...thank you sir. Was going to try CQ at one point and then forgot all about it. Just ordered some.

Not to take this off topic, but as a point of reference, I'm already on Dave's collagen protein and upgraded whey. With the former, I'm not sure how much help that is given it's type 1 and most research I've found about collagen and joint health discusses type 2. And I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the difference, but have read that type 1 is more beneficial to the skin, type 2 for joint health and reducing auto-immune forms of cartilage degeneration.

I like upgraded whey for a few reasons, one of which is the colostrum content. It's pretty economically priced when you consider it's two supplements in one. Quality colostrum powder ain't cheap.

Typical routine for me each day is start the day making 30 ounces of bulletproof coffee with about a quarter of a stick of kerrygold butter (no clue how many tablespoons that is), 2 tablespoons of MCT oil and 2 tablespoons of upgraded collagen powder. I drink 14 ounces within the first 30 minutes, then sip the rest from an insulated travel mug through the day, finishing it off around 2pm.   Will have a protein shake before I leave for work that includes a bunch of stuff, but also 2 tablespoons of the upgraded whey.

Going to start having a tablespoon of collagen at bed time, though I've ever seen any beneficial effects of it on my sleep.

I'm taking his gaba supplement a couple of times a week, and I think for the next couple of weeks (surgery is on Wednesday) I'll take unfair adv morning and night. Also made a big batch of bone broth for after the surgery.

Thanks again for your post, much appreciated.

• dante.....i take a tumeric supplement from LEF, bio-curcumin or something like that.  Will also get back on fish oil after the surgery, as well.