Taking Map (Master Amino Pattern) While Protein Fasting

Wondering what people think about this supplements and whether it would be ok to take while protein fasting? I spoke with a scientist at the company and he felt that it would be even more important to take this in even larger doses (say 20 pills instead of 10) while protein fasting in order to preserve muscle mass. 

I was trying to get him to translate amount of pills to amount of grams of protein and he kept talking around that and I didn't really understand what he was saying.

My question is if I am trying to stay at 15 grams of protein or less during a 2x/week protein restriction, am I interfering with the benefits of that by adding on an amino acid supplement? 

Comments

• Thanks for alerting me to that.

Wondering what you think though of the importance of taking a BCAA product during protein fast? Would it be helpful in maintaining muscle mass or would it interfere with the benefits of protein fasting? 

Also, why a BCAA as opposed to just  an essential amino acid product?

• Yeah MAP is just overhyped Essential Amino Acids with fillers to bind the the Pills/Tablets I presume.

Allot cheaper to buy EAA's or BCAA's in powder form, or just have smaller servings of Whey.
  • Still would like to know about taking these while protein fasting or not? 

• Interesting. i thought there were many advantages to doing a protein fast including the benefits to the brain and immune system. 

• On my nonprotein days, I'm definitely adding more carbs and fat. Keeping the same amount of calories, so no deficit there. 

• Any answers to this question: "Will BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids) break a protein fast?"

Here are the benefits of Protein Fasting, according to Dave Asprey:

Bulletproof Protein Fasting is a biohack to get a greater reduction in inflammation and to kick-start weight loss...

Lose Fat, Detox Your Cells, and Sleep Better All At Once

...you are essentially allowing your body a day to use its digestive machinery to perform self-maintenance. This is because dramatically lowering your protein intake once a week induces autophagy – or, literally translated, self-digestion...

This is important not just for fat loss, but also for your cellular repair functions. Your enzymes from your pancreas and liver, in addition to breaking down and excreting toxins, have a secondary role of removing debris from the cells in your body.

Protein fasting also improves mitochondrial function, which results in better sleep over time. In 2013, a team of researchers learned that autophagy is required for healthy brain cell mitochondria.

Reading this, it sounds like something I want to do but it leads me to another question that Jason Miller somewhat answered:

"Can I effectively increase muscle strength and protein fast once a week?"

(That is, are building strength and protein fasting at odds with each other?)

and, if so, 

"Can I effectively increase muscle strength with resistance training on protein fast days?"

(That is, should I be lifting weights on protein fast days?)

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Here are the benefits of Protein Fasting, according to Dave Asprey:

Bulletproof Protein Fasting is a biohack to get a greater reduction in inflammation and to kick-start weight loss...

Lose Fat, Detox Your Cells, and Sleep Better All At Once

...you are essentially allowing your body a day to use its digestive machinery to perform self-maintenance. This is because dramatically lowering your protein intake once a week induces autophagy – or, literally translated, self-digestion...

This is important not just for fat loss, but also for your cellular repair functions. Your enzymes from your pancreas and liver, in addition to breaking down and excreting toxins, have a secondary role of removing debris from the cells in your body.

Protein fasting also improves mitochondrial function, which results in better sleep over time. In 2013, a team of researchers learned that autophagy is required for healthy brain cell mitochondria.

just not eating protein, will not promote autophagy. If you eat anything that causes insulin to rise, autophagy will be inhibited. 

Dave basically says as much in a recent June 2016 post (more recent that his protein fasting posts); 

source: bulletproofexec.com/6-common-questions-about-bulletproof-coffee

Won’t Bulletproof Coffee break your fast?

No, as long as you aren’t having protein or carbs with it.

The key is insulin. Insulin is famous for regulating your blood sugar, and it’s also what turns autophagy on and off.

Your insulin levels drop while you sleep, during which time autophagy cleans out cellular waste and improves your brain function.
    Traditionally, in the morning, your breakfast will increase insulin and turn autophagy off.

But if you keep insulin low (by fasting) you can keep that improved cellular function and mental clarity going. 

Carbs raise your blood sugar and insulin levels when they convert to glucose. Protein does the same – your body converts it to glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis, which is inefficient but enough to raise your insulin.

fake it till you make it