"human Performance Coach" For College Students - Viable?

edited October 2014 in Wealth Hacking

Hey everybody, I'm currently going through Ramit Sethi's Earn1k course, on a quest to earn income while I'm finishing college.  At the moment I'm reading his "Finding Your First Profitable Idea" book.  

Target demo:  Other students at my university, perhaps just local people in general (20-30 somethings) looking to get over the hump and take charge of their life.

Model:  1-on-1 consultations, charge by the half hour, hour, etc.  (That part isn't important yet)

Proposed service:  "Human Performance Coach"

Coaching students, student-athletes and anybody looking to optimize their performance and fulfill the potential they've failed to fulfill up until now.  Get these people out of their rut.  Use methods that they're not going to hear about from campus resources like the free counseling appointments that hurry you out and give you shitty generic advice and don't push you or hold you accountable.  Turning them onto things like nootropics, brainwave entrainment recordings, essential reading.  (I provide the latter two, the first I explain to them what they are, what they do, why they should take them, and where to get them reliably and cost-effectively).  Turn them onto the BP lifestyle.   Train the timid and awkward to have confidence speaking in class, being assertive in life, making friends out of strangers.  Most importantly, be the guy who will SHIFT THEIR MINDSET from feeling helpless, nonplussed or apathetic into living with purpose and crushing it in the classroom, on the basketball court or out on the street.  Doing the research and legwork, distilling it into applicable stuff so they can focus on being present.

Just brainstorming things I would tell these clients on a 1st consultation...

"The people with the licenses... a) charge more than I do, B) are working off dated studies and methods that have to go through 30 years of testing before they're recommendable, c) are already jaded as shit."

"I'll tell you what they won't, I'll show you what they don't know exists, and I'll pound it into you and hold you accountable.  Results are all I care about.  I'm not in the business of wasting time, I'm in the business of changing lives.

NOTE:  This is an unrefined hodgepodge of a service right now, I'm just trying to get the gist out there.

MY QUESTION TO YOU:  I believe in this 1000%.  Applying the "Pay Certainty Test" is where I'm a bit unsure.  Am I willing and able to provide this service with excellence?  Absolutely.  Are these types of people WILLING and ABLE (most importantly) to pay for my service?

I am highly appreciative of any and all feedback, advice, and otherwise.  I thought this would be a good place to get some valuable opinions in a short period of time by accomplished and advancing people, and this is a cool place to hang so I know I'll get no-bullshit opinions.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Comments

• I've been a business consultant for a number of years, and have seen similar ideas pitched many times. The same problem tends to arise, though. Most college students blow all their money on pizza and beer. Those that care about their grades are a minority. Those that care enough to invest in increasing them are a further minority still. Now, you've gotta also convince these people that have been brainwashed from a young age into thinking that all drugs are bad and food doesnt affect their performance into thinking otherwise.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I recommend at least testing the waters before you dump a lot of time into this. The main issue being if you can find enough people to make the income level you desire. If you want to do this just because you find it fun, then perhaps you won't care if it pays poorly. On the other hand, you may want some balance of income and amusement. Decide on what you need to get out of this for it to be worthwhile, then test the waters by doing some free seminars and connecting with the people who show up.

I wouldn't dump a lot of investment money or time into it until you've at least confirmed its viability (viability measured as time, energy, money you have to put in and what specifically you get out of it ... and if that is a sufficient trade in your mind).

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Thanks Dante,

To get free advice on this from an actual business consultant within a couple hours would've been like the best case scenario.  It seems the early consensus amongst the people I've asked is that I'm trying to sell a service to a demo with no money, in so many words.  This is something I WOULD do for free, but I don't have any money so I want to get paid for it, and I want to do it well.  I wasn't planning on shoving the Bulletproof Diet down their throats, more like find the needs they can't place their finger on and create a sense of I-just-worked-a-miracle within them.  To inspire and give them the tools.  While the original form of this idea may be a bed-shitter, I want to figure out a way to do this for pay somehow, so I'll keep refining.

• edited October 2014

Thanks Dante,

To get free advice on this from an actual business consultant within a couple hours would've been like the best case scenario.  It seems the early consensus amongst the people I've asked is that I'm trying to sell a service to a demo with no money, in so many words.  This is something I WOULD do for free, but I don't have any money so I want to get paid for it, and I want to do it well.  I wasn't planning on shoving the Bulletproof Diet down their throats, more like find the needs they can't place their finger on and create a sense of I-just-worked-a-miracle within them.  To inspire and give them the tools.  While the original form of this idea may be a bed-shitter, I want to figure out a way to do this for pay somehow, so I'll keep refining.

It's possible to make something like that take off faster without any investment capital. Often just means investing more personal time and energy instead. Assuming you also have limited time due to being a student yourself, I'd consider doing a workshop on the topic just to gauge people's level of interest. Can get workshop space at college campus for free often times. If not, can rent it locally for pretty cheap. Like $50 a lot of times. Or even a room at the library (depends where you live) can be rented in many cities i've been to around the world .. for like $20 or even free in many large u.s. cities.

Then make some fliers with just a bulleted list of the benefits of coming.

Then work with anyone who comes to find out more about what they want or why they came so you can figure out how to offer this thing. For example, many students who normally wouldn't give a fuck and buy some beer instead may become interested if your fliers talk about how they can get the same studying done in 1/3 the time so they can party more. (I haven't tested that in the market. I'm just helping you generate some ideas). The way you talk about this thing makes a big difference.

If you can get in contact with people on campus who are interested in what you offer, that'd be your best bet. Because then you can just trade them free consulting or $50 or something in exchange for interviewing them and finding out more. Your first big hurdle is figuring out how to talk about this thing with people, on your fliers and at your seminar.

Interviews are going to be the fastest way to figure that out. Can find people using your first workshop ... or if you know about some student forums or something. just make sure you are talking to people who already have some interest in the idea.

Also, the above was a litmus test for your level of seriousness about succeeding at this. If the idea of working for free at first so you can make your business grow faster over the longer term made you want to vomit and throw the idea out, this may not be for you. On the other hand, if your willing to do that, you'll get the information you need faster, and will actually make your business take off faster overall compared to trying to just put out a sign that says $100 for a consult and then guessing about what to say in your sales materials.

Market research is $1,000 per hour or more work given you continue the business afterward based on what you learn. It just takes some time for that money to come back to you for having done it.

But do keep an open mind. Remind yourself you are testing the viability of this first. It may turn out that it's a dud. Be ready for that to possibly happen and to migrate elsewhere if so. If you're aggressive about this, you should be able to figure out roughly if this is a go or not within a couple weeks.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • I think you should consider starting an on-campus "health and performance" or "bio-hacking" club. So that you could connect with others already interested in "human performance" or those looking for self improvement. View the experience as organization, networking, and leadership experience.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• I think you should consider starting an on-campus "health and performance" or "bio-hacking" club. So that you could connect with others already interested in "human performance" or those looking for self improvement. View the experience as organization, networking, and leadership experience.

I like this idea for getting started. Forming it as a club or regular meet-up would be a way to gather like minds together, and learn more about what they are looking for specifically. Then, your business could grow out of that experience.

• Great ideas, guys.  And I'm by no means opposed to starting for free.  I subscribe to the Napoleon Hill philosophy of rendering service, doing more than paid for, and doing what you do extremely well - then let the money come if it's going to come (after you've built a solid reputation of rendering exceptional service).  By no means would starting for free discourage me.

In fact, an approach I've been considering, is after laying a foundation, legit testimonials, etc. ...  as a sort of transition into pay service, tell these people I won't charge them, but (in so many words) feel free to give me what you would consider a fair price reflective of the value I've given, the improvements they've noticed in their lives, and only if they can afford to spare the money.  Build up goodwill.  

• Sounds like a cool concept, and I would agree with DanteRomero, college students would be a very difficult demographic/psychographic to market a service like this towards. Typically a low interest into health and VERY limited on funds and resources (many who live in dorms don't even have access to a stove).

I would consider reaching out to older clients 1.) who are more health conscious (maybe they are starting to fall apart and are becoming aware of their body) and 2.) who have more resources available to hire you.

Just some thoughts.

Also, if/when you decide to move forward with any kind of coaching or service business, I highly recommend "Book Yourself Solid" to start building up a dynamic clientele, even if you hate marketing and selling (that's part of the tagline lol).

Like I said, seems like a great concept. You just need to identify who ALREADY has a need for the solution you are wanting to provide.

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

• Thank you Austin for the book recommendation!  Found it right away, will start reading this tonight.  Very much looking forward to it, and thank you for the post.

• Re-evaluate the target market. If students are anything like I or anyone I knew in college was, they ain't gonna pay you a dime. Hell I would have considered myself more motivated than most, but with free pdfs and torrents available online from PHD's, millionaires etc, paying for a trainer is even further out of the equation.

NYSC charges $100 for an hour long session with a personal trainer, I Shi* you not. There are people who actually need to pay 100 bucks to get motivated to work out. A tappable market if ever there was one. "Doing what you love" can be dangerous advice if you  take it to the extent of ignoring the underlying market. 

• Re-evaluate the target market. If students are anything like I or anyone I knew in college was, they ain't gonna pay you a dime. Hell I would have considered myself more motivated than most, but with free pdfs and torrents available online from PHD's, millionaires etc, paying for a trainer is even further out of the equation.

NYSC charges $100 for an hour long session with a personal trainer, I Shi* you not. There are people who actually need to pay 100 bucks to get motivated to work out. A tappable market if ever there was one. "Doing what you love" can be dangerous advice if you  take it to the extent of ignoring the underlying market. 

I understand the world of piracy very well and while it's out there, there's plenty of people who think they know where to get shit but what they're actually getting is, shit.  I can get anything.  But I do understand your point and thank you for replying to the thread.

I've begun to second guess this plan, but who gets it right the first time?  I have a friend in Seattle who is going to invest into some properties for me to run and/or flip in Detroit, so my focus has shifted away from this idea.  

If there are any real estate people here, I'd love to pick your brain.