Dealing With Brain Fog/ Trouble Recalling Information/ Poor Memory/ Loss Of Vocab

I believe it is an adrenal issue and am taking steps to correct this, but is there anything else I should be looking for?

My Vitamin D levels are great.

I am getting 8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep per night

I eat 150-200g carbs per day in the form of organic white rice or sweet potatoes

I am getting adequate fat and protein

What else can I be doing? This is impacting my ability to speak!

Comments

• Have you tried ketosis?  I'm trying it right now had brain fog all day at work but am pushing through the weekend, not going out, gymming and eating butter,bacon and eggs. Will post back on whether its worth it but fully intend to make sure I get into ketosis:)

150-200 is quite a lot, are you supplementing and exercising? I have the middle two the first one seems to come and go at random regardless of what I do.

• edited October 2014

I am successfully overcoming similar issues. I did tons of research, and what I came up with was that I was (am?) having issues with methylation/nutrient absorption. Not sure that is your case, but what has worked AMAZINGLY WELL for me is:

• Vitamin B Complex sublingual liquid three times per day (now only once, as maintenance)
    • 1 600mg N-Acetyl Cysteine cap 3 times per day (Also called NAC, which helps your body produce glutathione. This is much more important than I ever knew prior to my health health issues. Truth be told, I'd never even heard of it before this year. I've read that having adequate glutathione levels is crucial to being able to absorb other nutrients. I haven't had time to read any scientific studies on it, but I can tell you that when I added it to my stack, my world changed. No peer review needed!)
    • Vitamin D3 sublingual liquid once per day
    • Liquid Cal-Mag supplement 1 tbsp, 3 times per day (now only 1 tbsp as maintenance)

**If I had to just pick one though, as a kind of one-size-fits-all, I'd say the Vitamin B may be a great place to start for you.

After a few days on this regimen, my energy levels went through the roof for the first week after being fatigued for years. Now my energy levels are just normal I suppose, but my clarity is of a level is hasn't been in forever and my memory, albeit not perfect, is better. These things take time to completely correct, but from what I've experienced, so totally worth it.

I know how frustrating it can be when your eloquent vocabulary begins to decline! Or when you mean to say "It's in the microwave!"...but you just stop mid-sentence because you can't think of the words and get them all put together.

Best of luck to you!!!

~Michelle

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." --Einstein

• You may have gut dysbiosis that is causing ammonia levels to build up and cause the brain fog. When this occurs you can eliminate the brain fog by increasing your intake of l-citrulline (watermelon is a good source) to support the urea cycle which clears ammonia from the body. Takes about a week of daily consumption of watermelon to start to noticeably lower the ammonia levels.

• I had no idea. Thank you for that. That would help explain my cravings for watermelon/ fresh fruit juice.

~Michelle

• McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

You may have gut dysbiosis that is causing ammonia levels to build up and cause the brain fog. When this occurs you can eliminate the brain fog by increasing your intake of l-citrulline (watermelon is a good source) to support the urea cycle which clears ammonia from the body. Takes about a week of daily consumption of watermelon to start to noticeably lower the ammonia levels.

Im dealing with the same memory/ verbal recall issues. Can you link to a source with more info in this?

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com

• Im dealing with the same memory/ verbal recall issues. Can you link to a source with more info in this?

I worked this out from looking at Dr Amy Yasko's work on the methylation cycle in order to interpret Organix and blood spot amino acid test results - she has detailed diagrams on her website showing how the methylation cycle fits together and where there are long and short cuts that can be more effective depending on individual genetic polymorphisms that affect how the methylation cycle works.

As cysteine is the rate limiting amino acid in glutathione production, ammonia can build up when you don't have enough of it to produce glutathione - the tell tell sign in the amino acid test is elevated taurine levels. Ammonia can also build up to dangerously high levels if you have an opportunistic pathogen like pseudomonas aeruginosa in the gut and can make people feel like they're having a nervous breakdown if the ammonia levels build up sufficiently. At an earlier stage of ammonia buildup you will start to get brain fog and sometimes other psychiatric symptoms.  The urea cycle's function is to clear ammonia. the key amino acid required to do this and to drive the citric acid (krebs) cycle is Arginine but l-citrulline and l-ornithine are also utilized in this cycle. http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/

L-citrulline supplementation has actually been found to raise arginine levels more than l-arginine supplementation.  The most abundant food source of l-citrulline is found in watermelon. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16007998

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1245-l-citrulline.aspx?activeingredientid=1245&activeingredientname=l-citrulline

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

I worked this out from looking at Dr Amy Yasko's work on the methylation cycle in order to interpret Organix and blood spot amino acid test results - she has detailed diagrams on her website showing how the methylation cycle fits together and where there are long and short cuts that can be more effective depending on individual genetic polymorphisms that affect how the methylation cycle works.

As cysteine is the rate limiting amino acid in glutathione production, ammonia can build up when you don't have enough of it to produce glutathione - the tell tell sign in the amino acid test is elevated taurine levels. Ammonia can also build up to dangerously high levels if you have an opportunistic pathogen like pseudomonas aeruginosa in the gut and can make people feel like they're having a nervous breakdown if the ammonia levels build up sufficiently. At an earlier stage of ammonia buildup you will start to get brain fog and sometimes other psychiatric symptoms.  The urea cycle's function is to clear ammonia. the key amino acid required to do this and to drive the citric acid (krebs) cycle is Arginine but l-citrulline and l-ornithine are also utilized in this cycle. http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/

L-citrulline supplementation has actually been found to raise arginine levels more than l-arginine supplementation.  The most abundant food source of l-citrulline is found in watermelon. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16007998

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1245-l-citrulline.aspx?activeingredientid=1245&activeingredientname=l-citrulline

As a vasodilator L-citrulline or eating watermelon is safer than using L-arginine. L-carnitine would be the safest way to protect yourself and L-ornithine to protect yourself. A friendly reminder, do not eat watermelon if you have SIBO.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• How much choline are you getting? NAC is great, it really helped me too. 

• L-carnitine is not one of the amino acids involved in the urea cycle. If ammonia is the underlying problem taking L-carnitine won't help. 

• I will just say here that I went to a functional medicine doctor for severe brain fog issues and I told this doctor I had methylation issues (doctor was familiar with methylation). I was told to double the B vitamins I was taking. Phosphorylated B Complex was recommended, 1-2 right before falling asleep. There were immediate improvements with improved sleep and gradually all the brain fog went away over a few months. Now I always take 1 phosphorylated B complex right before falling asleep.

It's all relative.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

L-carnitine is not one of the amino acids involved in the urea cycle. If ammonia is the underlying problem taking L-carnitine won't help. 

Let me help you there hackergirl: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=l+carnitine+ammonia&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C34&as_sdtp=. L-carnitine helps reduce the toxicity of ammonia, and its elimination, even if it does not directly deal with the urea cycle you are very much incorrect in your statement.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/35746.pdf

Also, valporic acid increases ammonia in the body. If you supplement with L-carnitine the side effects of valporic acid and ammonia levels in the blood decrease.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/93/4/799.full

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I will just say here that I went to a functional medicine doctor for severe brain fog issues and I told this doctor I had methylation issues (doctor was familiar with methylation). I was told to double the B vitamins I was taking. Phosphorylated B Complex was recommended, 1-2 right before falling asleep. There were immediate improvements with improved sleep and gradually all the brain fog went away over a few months. Now I always take 1 phosphorylated B complex right before falling asleep.

What brand do you take?  I presume it's ok to take even if you don't have methylation issues.  It's interesting that you took it right before bed (versus AM).

• What brand do you take? I presume it's ok to take even if you don't have methylation issues. It's interesting that you took it right before bed (versus AM).

I use Metabolic Maintenance http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CD3XWC/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SS115&simLd=1

It's the brand they sold me at the office so I stuck with it after I used the remainder of my other bottle.

Before the appt, I took 1 B-complex in the morning for energy. Didn't even consider taking at night because I assumed it would keep me awake, but it actually causes me to sleep deeper. I have many dreams now that I can remember whereas before, dreams were rare (B1 I presume). Then I wake up really refreshed. For a while I took 2 at night, then 1 upon waking and 1 before falling asleep, now I am at 1 before falling asleep for some months.

It's all relative.

• Also, before when I took B-Complex, they were methylated. Now I take phosphorylated, which is like one step further if I remember correctly (heh). I could certainly notice a difference between methylated and phosphorylated, the latter being much more effective.

It's all relative.

• edited October 2014

I take Thorne Basic B Complex (only when I need it).  I've heard variable things about it not being good to take high doses of B Vitamins for too long.  I don't know if I have any methylation issues, I've just erred on the side of caution and tried to take activated B vitamins.

I may have to try the Metabolic Maintenance.  Do you take any other B Vitamins during the day (either stand alone or in a multivitamin)?  So taking the Phosphorylated/Methylated  Activated B Complex at night helped with brain fog.  Did it help with anything else?  How about energy levels?

METABOLIC MAINTENANCE PHOSPHORYLATED B COMPLEX

Supplement Facts Serving Size: One (1) capsule   Amount Per Capsule % Daily Value

Thiamine (as Thiamine Mononitrate) 25 mg 1667%

Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5' Phosphate) 25 mg 1471%

Niacin (as Niacinamide) 150 mg 750%

Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCl and Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate) 55 mg 2750%

Folate (as (6S)-5-Methylfolate, glucosamine salt) 800 mcg 200%

Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) 1000 mcg 16667%

Biotin 400 mcg 133%

Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 150 mg 1500%

Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) 50 mg *

Inositol 50 mg * PABA (Para Amino Benzoic Acid) 50 mg

* *Daily Value not established for this ingredient.

THORNE BASIC B COMPLEX

Supplement Facts Serving Size: One Capsule   Each Capsule Contains: % DV

Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 110 mg 7,333%

Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 10 mg 588%

Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 10 mg as Niacin) 140 mg 700%

Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 10 mg 500%

Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) 400 mcg 100% Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 400 mcg 6,667%

Biotin 400 mcg 133%

Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 110 mg 1,100%

Choline Citrate 80 mg * *Daily Value (DV) not established.

• edited October 2014
    Originally, I was taking 800mg Folate (methylfolate) and 2,500-5,000 mcg sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) in the morning. Then I added Pure Encapsulations B Complex (also in the morning):

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Complex-Plus-Vegetable/dp/B0017L3BO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414553059&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+encapsulations

Later, I switched to 400mg methylfolate and 2,500mcg sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) in the morning. I started taking the B complex at night, sometimes 2, sometimes one in the morning and one at night. I eventually stopped taking the folate in the morning and only sometimes take the sublingual B12 in the morning and only take 1 of the Metabolic Maintenance at night.

I initially was being a bit aggressive with the B-vitamins because I was in such a severe mental and physical state of exhaustion and brain fog. Also, the doctor I saw told me it could take 6 months of taking the B-vitamins to restore neurons and to get back to baseline, essentially. It has been over 6 months and I feel fine now, the most severe of the symptoms dissipating after a couple months. Of course, the B vitamins weren't the only factor but I think they were and are for sure a humongous factor in my recovery, according to my own condition, history, genetics, etc. They for sure help with energy and especially because of the higher quality sleep. I found that taking the 2 complexes a day was too much. I felt super speedy in a not pleasant sort of way. But taking 1 and the occasional sublingual B-12 is fantastic, for me.

Here are what I currently take in terms of supplements, not including MCTs/BPC but including the B vitamins:

Morning:

2ml Cod Liver oil, most mornings

2000 IU Vit D3, most mornings

150-200mg L-Theanine

B-12, methylcobalamin, sublingual, 5,000 mcg some mornings

Night:

200 mg elemental magnesium

2-3 g Vitamin C, some nights

1x Metabolic Maintenance phosphorylated B-Complex

It's all relative.

• I worked this out from looking at Dr Amy Yasko's work on the methylation cycle in order to interpret Organix and blood spot amino acid test results - she has detailed diagrams on her website showing how the methylation cycle fits together and where there are long and short cuts that can be more effective depending on individual genetic polymorphisms that affect how the methylation cycle works.

Could a person with this condition experience a lot of anxiety?  I am experiencing a lot of the same things, including a weird craving for fruit juices, but also I am prone to anxiety and quickly go into fight-or-flight response.

• Did you always feel good after taking the B-complex at night?  I tried it last night (with Thorne Basic B) and didn't sleep well (but I also get plenty of B vitamins in my Thorne Multi).

Originally, I was taking 800mg Folate (methylfolate) and 2,500-5,000 mcg sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) in the morning. Then I added Pure Encapsulations B Complex (also in the morning):

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-Complex-Plus-Vegetable/dp/B0017L3BO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414553059&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+encapsulations

Later, I switched to 400mg methylfolate and 2,500mcg sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) in the morning. I started taking the B complex at night, sometimes 2, sometimes one in the morning and one at night. I eventually stopped taking the folate in the morning and only sometimes take the sublingual B12 in the morning and only take 1 of the Metabolic Maintenance at night.

I initially was being a bit aggressive with the B-vitamins because I was in such a severe mental and physical state of exhaustion and brain fog. Also, the doctor I saw told me it could take 6 months of taking the B-vitamins to restore neurons and to get back to baseline, essentially. It has been over 6 months and I feel fine now, the most severe of the symptoms dissipating after a couple months. Of course, the B vitamins weren't the only factor but I think they were and are for sure a humongous factor in my recovery, according to my own condition, history, genetics, etc. They for sure help with energy and especially because of the higher quality sleep. I found that taking the 2 complexes a day was too much. I felt super speedy in a not pleasant sort of way. But taking 1 and the occasional sublingual B-12 is fantastic, for me.

Here are what I currently take in terms of supplements, not including MCTs/BPC but including the B vitamins:

Morning:

2ml Cod Liver oil, most mornings

2000 IU Vit D3, most mornings

150-200mg L-Theanine

B-12, methylcobalamin, sublingual, 5,000 mcg some mornings

Night:

200 mg elemental magnesium

2-3 g Vitamin C, some nights

1x Metabolic Maintenance phosphorylated B-Complex

• Did you always feel good after taking the B-complex at night? I tried it last night (with Thorne Basic B) and didn't sleep well (but I also get plenty of B vitamins in my Thorne Multi).

At the beginning, and especially when I took 2 complexes at night, I would feel it start to take effect. This manifested as a sudden awake feeling, a small bit of flushing and a bit of tingling feeling (niacin). I dont have that issue anymore and feel great. On rare occasions, I will skip taking it.

It's all relative.

• As ammonia was brought up a lot in this thread, I'll add in my experience. I struggled with ammonia for a while, and supplementation of creatine was one of the things that became a mainstay for me. I still take it daily and will likely do so for the rest of my life (not for ammonia, for a variety of brain and other benefits).

This study provides an overview of the mechanism: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20227315

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• NickatNickat
    edited October 2014

As ammonia was brought up a lot in this thread, I'll add in my experience. I struggled with ammonia for a while, and supplementation of creatine was one of the things that became a mainstay for me. I still take it daily and will likely do so for the rest of my life (not for ammonia, for a variety of brain and other benefits).

This study provides an overview of the mechanism: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20227315

Glad you brought that study up. Decided to do the same. As a maintenance dose am taking 7g creapure a day. After 6 weeks stop for a week and start again. Just a habit more than anything else and a week to notice changes or recalibrate if need be. Cognitive, body aspect we notice but the protective issues it provides is very hard to notice at all. Have you tried to measure yours in any way?

Having said that creatine monohydrate is probably the only form to be shown as safe and effective for LONG term use. Thoughts?

I've been eating watermelon and feel good, but there's still something missing. I just went to the store and re-upped on my supplements. I picked up some phosphorylated B complex (Country Life Brand) to see what kind of results I get. Hopefully this is the icing on the cake for me and I'll have my regimen down. Conversely, if I feel a slight improvement but not quite enough, I will go ahead and spring for the Metabolic Maintenance brand. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for the tip.

~Michelle

• Glad you brought that study up. Decided to do the same. As a maintenance dose am taking 7g creapure a day. After 6 weeks stop for a week and start again. Just a habit more than anything else and a week to notice changes or recalibrate if need be. Cognitive, body aspect we notice but the protective issues it provides is very hard to notice at all. Have you tried to measure yours in any way?

Having said that creatine monohydrate is probably the only form to be shown as safe and effective for LONG term use. Thoughts?

I haven't tracked anything specifically, so can only offer anecdotal evidence. Despite no real exercise for a couple of years now for example, I've maintained reasonably muscle mass. It could be possible to track the mental benefits via lumosity or something, but given the researched upsides I haven't been willing to stop taking it for the control :)

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• I believe it is an adrenal issue and am taking steps to correct this, but is there anything else I should be looking for?

My Vitamin D levels are great.

I am getting 8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep per night

I eat 150-200g carbs per day in the form of organic white rice or sweet potatoes

I am getting adequate fat and protein

What else can I be doing? This is impacting my ability to speak!

So how are you feeling these days? Any improvement?

~Michelle

• You may have gut dysbiosis that is causing ammonia levels to build up and cause the brain fog. When this occurs you can eliminate the brain fog by increasing your intake of l-citrulline (watermelon is a good source) to support the urea cycle which clears ammonia from the body. Takes about a week of daily consumption of watermelon to start to noticeably lower the ammonia levels.

I will just say here that I went to a functional medicine doctor for severe brain fog issues and I told this doctor I had methylation issues (doctor was familiar with methylation). I was told to double the B vitamins I was taking. Phosphorylated B Complex was recommended, 1-2 right before falling asleep. There were immediate improvements with improved sleep and gradually all the brain fog went away over a few months. Now I always take 1 phosphorylated B complex right before falling asleep.

I just wanted to take the time to properly thank you both for these ideas.

Dysbiosis indeed,  hackergirl. After a few tests and scopes, it turns out I have several issues to work on there. It won't be a quick fix; I'm taking prescription medication along with natural remedies trying to correct imbalances and repair what is damaged. I will get there, but it will take vigilance in sorting out all the symptoms to try and figure out the real source of the problem & the right approach to treatment. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction there.

Corpse Grinder, thank you SO MUCH for the suggestion of phosphorylated B vitamins! I have been taking them since last month and have noticed much improvement in my sleep and memory/brain fog/word finding issues. I do best when I take two right before sleeping. (I take other B's during the day as well, but the two right before I put my head on my pillow make a very noticeable difference.) Liquid D3 before bed seems to help, too. The one thing that I can't seem to nail down is my night sweats. They are getting better (they come and go now), but not gone. Have you experienced anything like this?

I do want to say: It sure feels great waking up from this fog and pain and actually feeling like there IS hope for me. I hope to continue on this journey of recovery. I am so grateful for this forum and all that are willing to contribute useful information in an effort to improve lives. You never know...you just might be saving one.   :)  

~Michelle