Gaining Weight, Please Help

I've been on the BPIF diet for 2 weeks.  I feel pretty good and my acne has cleared up, but I am very bloated and I've gained a pound.  My clothes are barely fitting around my waist.  I only have 10 pounds to loose and everything that has worked in the past, does not work anymore.  I do have a digestive disorder, SIBO, and was taking probiotics that I stopped 2 weeks ago.  I can keep the SIBO under control as long as I eat very low carb.  I am following the diet and have adjusted my workouts.  I'm so frustrated because I love the idea of this diet.  What else can I do?  Is it possible that this diet just doesn't work for everyone?

Comments

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Hi welcome.  Can you layout what you would eat on a typical BP iF day so we can try and help?  Also how much BF or weight you need to lose?

• Thank you!  I eat lots of organic eggs, organic grass fed turkey, grass fed butter, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, coconut oil, stevia, was eating some almonds the first week and stopped since I hadn't lost, ate some dark chocolate this week.

• and of course bp coffee with mct oil.  I need to loose 8-10 pounds

• edited October 2014
    I can't do dairy, including butter. It causes inflammation in my body. I BP fast with MCT oil in my coffee only. Maybe the dairy is causing you to gain weight/inflammation? Have you tried going dairy-free to see if that helps?
  • I'd say give it a little longer.  Two weeks is not alot and the bloating could just be your body adjusting to MCT.  A one pound fluctuation is nothing.  Also you don't know what is happening to your body composition.    I don't know much about SIBO, so cannot comment or advise, but think about how you are getting your omega 3's, eg sardines, sockeye salmon.  Certainly macadamia's have a better 3/6 balance if you want nuts.   I would consider switching out the turkey (not sure how BP it is), and think about grass fed beef.  Are you taking the supplements and also the pink salt?  Try and get your fat intake up to at least 70% of your intake.

If any compensation, I have only lost a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks and I just think we are all very different.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me and help!!  I will try switching to beef.  I am not taking any supplements or pink salt, but I'm happy to try anything.  What supplements are best for weight loss and how much pink salt?  I think either the butter or MCT could be causing the bloating.

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Just knock the butter and MCT back a little.  I can only tolerate on tbsp of each in a drink and I have to take a Betaine HCL to help it digest.    Check out the Bulletproof IF pages for supplements.  The himalayan salt helps balance the blood sugar (esp if you a VLC and you are prone to adrenal fatigue).  Half a tspn first thing in the morning with a full glass of water.  Plenty of chat on these threads about it.  Make sure you eat plenty. Don't skimp. 

• Hi spbbb, If you need the probiotics to keep your SIBO under control is it possible that re-starting the probiotics would help? Probiotics are consistent with the BP diet. The bloating you describe almost sounds like an inflammatory response - what are the other significant changes to your diet from pre-bloating to post-bloating? I think many of us have to customize the diet a little bit to fit our unique biology. I found that I do better on ghee instead of butter for example so I make my own ghee from the kerrygold. It may take a you a little while and some trial and error to find out what your body really needs - don't give up!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I take it you are quite low carb, what about the carb refeeds, have you been doing them?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thank you SOOO much for the encouragement and wisdom!  I read on here that probiotics can make you fat so I stopped them.  I read there is 1 kind they suggest, but I haven't looked into it yet.  I have not done a carb reefed yet because I don't know how to do it.  If I eat sweet potatoes, I will be bloated for 3 days.  I did Paleo for over a year and was very bloated.  All the fruits, especially coconut flour made me very bloated.  Even many kinds of veggies are hard for me.  I took the strongest digestive enzymes and probiotics available.  As long as I stay low carb (meats and fats are easy for me to digest), I don't need the enzymes.  I desperately want this to work.  I know it's good for me since my skin has cleared up, I just wish the bloating would go away and I could shed a few pounds.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

Have you checked the site fixyourgut.com which is ran by a member here, he's very knowledgeable on gut (and many other topics) and has a SIBO protocol, worth to check out. I have a feeling that if you tackle that gut problem things will go more smoothly for you.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Hi.  I truly feel for you.  In fact, when I first arrived, I started one or two of these threads.  So have many other women.  I would advise that you do an advanced search in the forum and read through some of these really great threads.  They are full of information.  I can tell you what I was doing wrong:

1.  Not sleeping enough

2.  Not taking in enough salt (morning water salt)

3.  Not refeeding!  (THIS is a BIG one.)

4.  Stressing about it too much.

Also, I can say that when I first started, I got a definite hormonal response that made me feel like utter shit.  I think the body was in a bit of a shock.  It might be a good idea to put stress-management first during this time.  Also, look into Sara Gottfried's work, or read around this forum about hormonal support.  Be patient and listen to your body.  Remember, to change everything is hard work and your body is reacting.  Congratulate yourself for doing it, and give your body some love and attention.

Here is a link to one such thread:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9616-help-two-and-a-half-weeks-bp-doing-everything-right-gaining-weight/

• I've been on the BPIF diet for 2 weeks.  I feel pretty good and my acne has cleared up, but I am very bloated and I've gained a pound.  My clothes are barely fitting around my waist.  I only have 10 pounds to loose and everything that has worked in the past, does not work anymore.  I do have a digestive disorder, SIBO, and was taking probiotics that I stopped 2 weeks ago.  I can keep the SIBO under control as long as I eat very low carb.

Disclaimer, dude posting in the women's forum. Don't go by scale weight, especially not a single pound. You can lose a pound through sweat in a 20 minute hot shower, or by adjusting potassium and salt intake. Do go by measurements, clothes, and bloating - that's a concern. SIBO (assuming you've tested for it and are sure you have it) can be a serious problem that you need to address, and like Reka mentioned, I believe Fix Your Gut is an excellent resource. Note that SIBO is a Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. Bacteria belongs in the large intestine. Probiotics are supposed to end up in the large intestine. 

BTW, from top to bottom: stomach, small intestine, large intestine. 

So, best case the probiotics go to their intended destination (large intestine) and they have nothing to do with the SIBO. No impact. Worst case since your small intestine is already host to a bacterial overgrowth, the probiotics end up in the small intestine and contribute to the SIBO. So I'd try to take care of the SIBO. Most methods will also deplete bacteria in the large intestine, so once the SIBO is wiped out through whatever intervention or protocol you choose, it may be appropriate to repopulate the large intestine using a course of probiotics. Personally I choose basic lactic-acid bacteria, not spore-forming bacteria, which will be very difficult to kill if they later become another case of SIBO. 

SIBO generally feeds on FODMAP foods (which you can Google, or Google the FODMAP diet.) I think the reason that your SIBO is more under control on a lower carb diet is that higher carb diets tend to have more FODMAPs. The Bulletproof Diet does contain some FODMAPs. I believe you will see improvement by adapting the Bulletproof Diet by removing sources of FODMAPs. Unfortunately, that likely means temporarily removing butter, avocado, and a few other BP staples. Coconut oil and MCT oil remain excellent sources of fat with bonus antibacterial properties. 

• Y'all are so kind for taking the time to help me!  MrsFloyd, I read through that thread and found it very helpful!  ACH85, thank you!!  Yes, I know all about FODMAPS and did that diet for a few years.  It helped for a while and then the bloating came back.  It was those carbs!  Yesterday, I reduced the MCT oil to 1/2 T, ate beef instead of turkey, had more coconut oil during the day, and this morning my bloating is less.  I know I need to do the reload carb day, but not sure how to do that without bloating from carbs.  According to the Fast Tract Diet I was on to stop the SIBO, I can have Jasmine Rice.  ACH85, do you know if that would be a good thing to try?  Also, I haven't searched yet, but are there directions somewhere on how to reload with carbs?

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Hi.  Re-feed twice a week on carbs but eat them at night. Work out first so your muscles get the benefit.  Eat FODMAP and BP friendly carbs such as sweet potatoes and squash. (Cross check the bulletproof PDF against this list)  http://thehealthyapple.com/low-fodmap-diet/. Drop the coconut if you are still bloating, it's not that FODMAP friendly