Perfecting/adjusting My Supplementation: Please Weigh In On L-Glutamine And Bcaas.

MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Discussion

Hello all!

I am currently Bulletproof in terms of diet and lifestyle.  I do BPIF every day.  My supplementation is as follows, in semi-chronological order:

Primal defense probiotic.  (Was Natren Healthy Trinity.)

Glutathione (Upgraded)

Krill oil and/or cod liver oil

Nutreince AM/PM

Some herbal supplements at my discretion, like Gaia herbs adrenal support and such.

Magnesium glycinate, (kind of a lot, at night -- like 800-1000 mg.)

Potassium (maybe not enough, 300mg or so)

The Paleologix system with food -- the ingredients are here: http://paleologix.com/paleo-supplements/  but basically they include L-Glutamine and some other amino acids, but in fairly small amounts compared to Dave's recommendations.

Charcoal and himalayan salt go without saying.

Now, I am thinking of adding to this.  

I have come across NAC in the BP 'hangover' protocol, and I have heard that it is good for us in many ways.  Do you think that is a good and safe supplement to add?  Any particular brand?

L-Glutamine:  I have come across it in many threads and I see it in the RFLP.  Would it be beneficial to take?  Any particular brand?  (As per Jason Miller, it needs to be Japanese Micronized, but it doesn't seem to say so on any of the brands I have looked at -- NOW, Jarrow, Pure Encapsulations.) 

And finally, Branched Chain Amino Acids.  I came across them in the RFLP too, and I am wondering if I may benefit from them doing forward.  Any recommendations, thoughts, ideas?

I should mention that my objectives in all this are:  Fat loss, energy, hormone balance, gut health, and overall -- best performance.

I would really appreciate some of your perspectives, experiences, and advice.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Based on your supplement schedule above, the inclusion of NAC will ensure you have all the building blocks for Glutahione (Glutathione precursors are glutamate, glycine and cysteine), with Cysteine normally being the rate limiting factor. Given this I wouldn't take both together, further Glutathione is supplement that should be cycled so that you don't down regulate normal production.

If you want to up your Mag intake, also consider Epsom salt baths, as well as the use of Magnesium Oil (not really oil, just very concentrated Magnesium Chloride). The added benefit is that both of these are cheaper than Mag Glycinate.

Glutamine is very good in supporting the gut. To do its work it needs to be consumed in reasonable quanitities (6-10g). John Brisson's Blog (FixYourGut.com) has good information on this.

BCAA's aren't really needed unless you are doing intenese physical work outs, or are doing the RFLP. If you are doing RFLP then they are used to ensure you don't catabolise your muscle mass while severly restricting carbs and protein.

• Thank you, TimH.

I do take Epsom Salt baths -- I lovvvvve them.  :D  Did not know about "magnesium oil" though.  Sounds like a good moisturizer? Interesting.

I didn't know about cycling Glutathione -- I have been on it consistently for about three to four months.  Yikes!  Do you think I may have impeded my own production??

NAC it is.  (Any suggested brands?)

L-Glutamine I will look into.  I just bought the FixYourGut book, so I will see if and what John recommends.  (Unless of course he may stop by this thread and share with us directly.)  :D

Copy about BCAA's.  Glad I don't have to buy extra pills!

• Thank you, TimH.

Did not know about "magnesium oil" though.  Sounds like a good moisturizer?

I didn't know about cycling Glutathione -- I have been on it consistently for about three to four months.  Yikes!  Do you think I may have impeded my own production??

L-Glutamine I will look into.  I just bought the FixYourGut book, so I will see if and what John recommends.  (Unless of course he may stop by this thread and share with us directly.)   :D

Thank you, TimH.

I do take Epsom Salt baths -- I lovvvvve them.   :D  Did not know about "magnesium oil" though.  Sounds like a good moisturizer? Interesting.

L-Glutamine I will look into.  I just bought the FixYourGut book, so I will see if and what John recommends.  (Unless of course he may stop by this thread and share with us directly.)   :D

Mag Oil is not oil, and in fact slightly driers your skin as it leaves a Mag Chloride residue on the skin. 

The bets thing to do is to cycle off Glutathione. Something like 1 day off, 5 on, 1 day off 4 on, 1 off, 3 on, 1of, 2on, 1off, 1on then reverse. 2 Off 1 on etc until you get up to 7 this should support your body while it resumes normal product. Adding in NAC will assist in ensuring ytou have all the huilding blocks.

In terms of products, this one is a good option.

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-N-A-C-Sustain-N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine-600-mg-100-Tablets/135#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=jarrow%20nac&rc=6&sr=null&ic=1

• Excellent, thank you.  I never knew this about glutathione.

Once I transition to NAC, is there a benefit to having glutathione once in a while?  Like once per month, or a week out of the month, or a month out of the year?

• What about zinc?

I have been reading numerous threads here lately, catching up and revisiting old wells of knowledge.  It occurs to me that lately I am exhibiting some signs of early adrenal fatigue.

John Brisson recommends zinc as a supplement.  Is there a specific food that is BP that can give me that?  Nutreince offers zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate) 15mg.  Do I need more?

• Excellent, thank you.  I never knew this about glutathione.

Once I transition to NAC, is there a benefit to having glutathione once in a while?  Like once per month, or a week out of the month, or a month out of the year?

Occassional supplementation of Glutathione, even over consecutive days such as 4-5 days straight is no issue,  especially if going through stressful periods.

Even regular weekly consumption is no issue, as long as it is cycled. ie take every 2nd or 3rd day. Or take for 3 days then don't take for 4 days, with every 3rd or 4th week off.

The issue is long term consumption with no cycling due to the effect of downregulating the bodies own production

Best idea is to use as required (high stress periods), and the rest of the time provide your body with all the building blocks it needs to maximise its own production (as per my first post).

• edited October 2014

What about zinc?

I have been reading numerous threads here lately, catching up and revisiting old wells of knowledge.  It occurs to me that lately I am exhibiting some signs of early adrenal fatigue.

John Brisson recommends zinc as a supplement.  Is there a specific food that is BP that can give me that?  Nutreince offers zinc (as zinc amino acid chelate) 15mg.  Do I need more?

To be honest if you are exhibiting signs of early adrenal fatigue then your best approach is not one of supplementation, but one of identifying what the cause of this stress is and managing / reducing it. Doing this will have the greatest impact, and prevent further decline. While supplements may assist and support your body, if the stress is great enough, then they will not prevent further decline in adrenal fatigue. Which in the long run will cause further disregulation within the body, that can then manifest itself in a wide range of symptomology.

Rhodiola, Holy Basil, Ashwaganda are all great support adptogens that could support you in the short term and 'perhaps' prevent further decline while you work on reducing stress levels.

I know there has been a great deal of discussion recently and in the past about Multi's and there merit, and issues. Some people like them, others don't. As they say each to their own.

Personally, after quite a bit of research I quite like this one. It has good levels of all required nutrients, including zinc @ 25mg, and is at a resonable price v quality.

http://www.iherb.com/Designs-For-Health-DFH-Complete-Multi-180-Veggie-Caps/55862#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=dfh%20multi&rc=3&sr=null&ic=2

• May I ask one more quick question re: L-Glutamine and NAC?

They both say they are to be taken between meals at times intervals.  Can they be taken together?

• To my knowledge there is no issue in taking these two together.