Improving The Body Physique And Becoming Better Human Beings

I'm looking for a way to hack my body to be more elastic, agile and more responsive to elongating (stretching) the muscles in my body. My body gains strength very easily as do most of the men. I've gained a lot of results in body's ability to adapt after finding out about the bulletproof way of life and the alike.

I'm a professional ballet dancer, choreographer and artist. I'm constantly looking for a way to get the most out of my abilities on stage as an artist. If you don't know ballet and dance can extremely athletic in nature while at the same time an expressive artform which requires artistry and brain. That's why I'm constantly trying new things to get better results and development out of my body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hn3UbT4zw#t=171

Every morning starts with rather intense way of working with your body early in the morning in almost every company there is and the same continues through out the day until 6 o'clock with rehearsals of new and old physical art work and in the evening, multiple times per week there's a performance where you have to be full out as aware of your body as possible and in peak condition. So basically you're required to be on your 100% everyday of the week except for maybe Sunday.

Ballet and dance are notorious for taking LONG time to perfect and aspire into. This is why I'm constantly looking for new ways to hack into the body and sculpt it faster than other people. I'm an idealist and I believe that we can definitely achieve more and faster in the time frames that "common sense" would dictate us.

This is particularly very interesting because the way we can with this Bulletproof knowledge access our mental powers and free up time from being not-in-peak-condition we can now use the time elsewhere and it can manifest in great art, design and invention. You can see it from the history, also; when the ancient man became a more-thriving species, settling down in cities instead of struggling to survive with poor hunting and gathering they started to actually make art and their bodies evolved and the inventions like the wheel came about. Culture evolved in such a small timeframe compared to the whole timeframe that our species has actually existed. That's phenomenal. What can we learn from it?

The post started as a question (the query for advice still stands, though) and drifted of to a partly testomonial direction with my experience as how I feel more able to thrive and succeed as a human being overall with this knowledge from The Bulletproof way of life and restoring my drive towards evolving into a better human being.

-Joni Österlund 

Comments

• Well, Dave attributes his flexibility to serrapeptase. That's about all there is that's officially, sanctioned Bulletproof.

Some other posters may have untapped insights here, but if not, I would check out Gray Cook and Katy Bowman. Neither of those will be directly related to what you're looking for, but someone interested in movement and athletic movement should read those authors, in my nascent opinion. There's also Kelly Starrett (Dave has podcasts with him)... but I'm not fully sold on him.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Also, now we have two Hungarians!

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Oddly, I just heard something on Ben Greenfield the other day about stretching/flexibility. From what he said, the winner is static stretching. Not because of making muscles longer.. but simply by increasing your tolerance to the stretch.

As for dance, I've always said that I'd much rather get kicked in the belly by a football player then by a ballerina. I'd like to see one of them stand on their toe, leap five feet, and plant the landing on their toe. The amount of strength, balance, and control on that simple leap is mind-boggling.

Crossfitters keep banging on about 'functional movement'. Dance itself seems (to me at least) to be very much about functional movement. It's funny how fitness people will go on about bodyweight exercises, but the moment you add a bit of music and rythem to it, it suddenly becomes 'not exercise'.

So, in short - go for it.

• AndreasAndreas ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Workout structure:

Joint mobiity - see Scott Sonnon's IntuFlow

Active stretching (swinging legs, arms, ...)

Workout/skill training

Isometric resistance stretching (essentially isometrics opposite to the direction of a stretch, followed by someone pushing you further in the stretch (repeat several times)  Kelly Starret does a lot of this.  You can also look up "The Genius of Flexibility" from www.MeridianStretching.com".  This does wonders for range of movement.

Workout/skill training

Static stretching (Only at the end of workout when you have already warmed-up and after any conditioning exercise)

WARNING: NEVER DO STATIC STRETCHING EARLY IN A WORKOUT.  

A great deal of flexibility comes from our brains and nervous system not trusting that we have the strength to recover from a stretch.  Much of flexibility follows from developing the right kind of strength to specifically recover from a position we want to get into.