What's So Bad About Gluten?

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

This article's been making the rounds on Facebook. It's long as hell. Anyone else read it? Any opinions on it?

I almost feel like people on my friends list are posting articles like these just to get me to comment. Lol. "THAT DOUCHE THINKS HE HAS TO GIVE UP BREAD AND DRINK BUTTER COFFEE... WELL I'M GONNA POST THIS ARTICLE SO THAT HE KNOWS HOW WRONG HE IS...!"

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• I'm not on social media, so I hadn't seen that before you posted it. You are correct, it is long!

I started to read through it, but will have to continue later.

• Yeah, very meandering article. I think you're just supposed to give up and go "Fine! Gluten's fine. Just leave me alone."

Anyway, I think the titular question is important. I feel like half the people that are gluten free couldn't adequately explain the reasons to be gluten free. Personally, I go with leaky gut segue into autoimmunity and then top it off with the increased amount of gluten in wheat. Most people don't realize that things change -- or why.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

This article's been making the rounds on Facebook. It's long as hell. Anyone else read it? Any opinions on it?

I almost feel like people on my friends list are posting articles like these just to get me to comment. Lol. "THAT DOUCHE THINKS HE HAS TO GIVE UP BREAD AND DRINK BUTTER COFFEE... WELL I'M GONNA POST THIS ARTICLE SO THAT HE KNOWS HOW WRONG HE IS...!"

I hope you didn't give in and didn't comment. Don't let them push your buttons that easily.

The article lost me at gluten being the most heavily eaten protein, and hydrolyzed vegetable protein and malt vinegar beling common foods, I haven't even heard about these things and I'm definitely not eating them so it feels like the writer of that article and me are living in a different world. Seriously, how many times have you eaten hydrolyzed vegetable protein and malt vinegar in the last week? I tried to read through it but it  takes an artificially created situation and treats it like if it was natural.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

To be fair, the article does point out that fats aren't that bad, as long as you don't pick the bad fats. Moreover, it states the 'fat free' products are usually crap, just like 'gluten free' products are.

There is some nuance here. And I think the way in which most people diet (or live in general) is not great, mostly because they have no clue why. They don't know why it works in theory and practice, why this applies to them, and what's needed to attain your goals. Some self-awareness is needed here. Don't just follow some diet 'to lose weight' or 'because everybody does it'. Awareness about what you eat, and how that affects you and your environment is really basic.

• Arguing is a bit like trolling to me. Neither side will leave the conversation with a different perspective and it usually seems like both sides seek to get a rise out of the other by claiming to be more intellectual. It's usually not until later down the road that the person will make an effort to change by looking at the options themself. Want to argue? No thanks. Want to have a friendly discussion? I'd be happy to discuss.