Danny Roddy Pointing Out 3 Issues With The Bp Diet

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    His hair regrowth diet has many opposites to the BP diet. Eg he recommends having a glass of milk with sugar in it at breakfast as well as a big glass of orange juice.
  • I would take the opinion of Danny Roddy with a grain of salt.  He is attempting to commercialize the research of Ray Peat which as an underlying theme is all about context.  One of Peat's underlying ideas about nutrition is constructing a healthy diet that is also inexpensive so people can get maximum nutrition for their dollar.  If you read Peat's articles, books, and newsletters in conjunction with some of Dave's ideas you might be surprised to find a pretty big overlap.  For instance, Peat and Asprey are the only people I can think of that condemn black pepper for mold issues. 

Peat likes orange juice (fresh squeezed) for a number of reasons, the primary being it is supportive of thyroid function and has minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium.

He likes milk for calcium, protein, saturated fat and sugar, and it's ability to quiet parathyroid hormone, lower stress hormones and decrease inflammation. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

What do you guys think about the issues Danny raises on Dave's understanding of the organism? 

Damn it not carnitine and TMAO again. Danny, do your research, and realize that gut bacteria dysfunction is the cause of the increase in cancer in relation to carnitine supplementation and intake.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• If there is significant overlap between Dave's and Danny/Peat's research then what are the major differences between the two approaches to nutrition?

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

If there is significant overlap between Dave's and Danny/Peat's research then what are the major differences between the two approaches to nutrition?

Sugar

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

If there is significant overlap between Dave's and Danny/Peat's research then what are the major differences between the two approaches to nutrition?

...slightly related...Danny Roddy did a post of his take on Peat vs Paleo back in 2011.

it is no longer on his dannyroddy web site, but you can still read it here

fake it till you make it

• edited November 2014

From the article I got that Peat is stating that sugar is not an issue when polyunsaturated fats aren't in the diet, helps support the thyroid, and aids in clearing estrogen out of the liver. By sugar he's talking about sucrose? Does he state how much to add to the diet to reap the benefits he claims it has and find a balance? An article with the pros and cons of sugar as well as experimenting with dosage would be cool.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

From the article I got that Peat is stating that sugar is not an issue when polyunsaturated fats aren't in the diet, helps support the thyroid, and aids in clearing estrogen out of the liver. By sugar he's talking about sucrose? Does he state how much to add to the diet to reap the benefits he claims it has and find a balance? An article with the pros and cons of sugar as well as experimenting with dosage would be cool.

I think Peat prefers fruit, low fat milk* and orange juice over sucrose as a sugar source because sucrose is devoid of nutrients. However in a nutrient replete diet he seems to see sucrose as a therapeutic tool/supplement. 

Here's some text attributed to Peat;

"Plain sugar is o.k. when the other nutrients are adequate. Roots, shoots, and tubers are, next to the fruits, a good carbohydrate source"  source

* the context of the low fat/skimmed/1% milk thing just relates to caloric intake...ie. if you drink milk in high quantities you can easily exceed your calorie/energy requirements.  same source

afaik Peat is not 'against' full fat dairy. so if you are looking for more cals, then full fat milk would be ok by Peat (i presume).

fake it till you make it

• Does Peat know of any detrimental changes to the gut biome when adhering to his recommended approach to diet? 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file