Will This Diet Work For Me?

Hello all,

I've been on the Bulletproof Diet for a couple of weeks now after stumbling upon it as I was researching some nootropics and was intrigued by it after reading the benefits it has on cognitive function (well the entire Bulletproof lifestyle really). After some time experiencing the diet, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone in the community could answer. I am not attempting to lose weight, I would actually like to maintain my current weight but lose fat and pack on muscle (I guess lean out in other words). I am pretty active and hit the gym four times a week for heavy lifting. I also find it difficult to eat as I have never come across such a stringent diet, i.e. having only grass-fed dairy, cooking below 320 degrees, etc.

My questions therefore are: (1) is the Bulletproof Diet right for my lifestyle/goals and (2) what the hell does everyone eat? What I mean to say is I've found myself eating the same thing everyday: some source of meat plus veggies. There have been a few days (like today) where I've skipped a meal because I don't know what to eat. I'm well under 2,000 calories on the day (around 1,500) and I'd like to have around 3,000-4,000. I'm tracking my caloric intake and have been aiming for a 60/30/10 split (60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs). Please let me know what you guys think as well as any advice and opinions. 

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

check out bulletproofing the athlete thread (in my signature)

don't forget protein fasting and refeeds. look at the top right corner of the bp diet. you it should be veggies and meat not meat and veggies. and a little starch or fruit is ok especially if you hit the gym regularly you have to be careful with ketogenic diest. again check the thread... refeed and protein fasting are also part of the bp livestyle as well as the right training. check my signature again. :D

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited November 2014

The Bulletproofing the Athlete is a good thread to get you going. Jason Miller did a really good job putting that together.

yea that's why I put it in my sig... I lfeel like half of my posts are referencing to that thread. :D

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• TheirldTheirld
    edited November 2014

Thanks for that! Helped me out quite a bit but also raised some more questions:

1. After modifying the formula from Jason Miller's thread, I followed the "Lean muscle gain: (weight increase)" paragraph. It states "training days 23p, 23c, 23f becomes something like 30p, 30c, 30f." What was this based upon? Do I simply follow the same logic?

2. Continuing from the first question, this paragraph does not indicate that a refeed day is required like "Cyclical keto:(weight loss)" paragraph does. So do I not need a refeed day?

3. I'm assuming I would follow a protein fast like normal but do I do this once a week?

Here's a link of a PDF I created first using excel to calculate everything and was hoping you guys could check it out and tell me whether or not it looks okay? Again I followed Jason's instructions from calculating my baseline to calculating post-workout nutrition. Any suggestions and/or corrections?

I would ask this in the specific thread. Jason is the pro.

I'm following the classic BBS training approach by working out once a week and have a refeed day after that as instructed in the bulletproof body article.

I do have to stay in ketosis most of the time cause I have neurological problems. Bit I get keto flu if I stay in ketosis and work out.... Another thing is I get skin lesions from too much protein and salt... Just trying to describe that everyone is a delicate flower and has his own special needs and personal goals.

How much to eat:

• Your PDF looks good, I would use the setting you have for training days as a start point, then begin to really test your carb tolerance by raising the carb blocks by 1 every week or two until there is a negative response (like getting soft and watery, it's not fat, you take in 4g water for 1g carb), in which case you would simply go back to the previous. I say this because 90g on training days is pretty low in the grand scheme of things long term. If you are between 100-200g mostly from starches consistently on training days you don't need scheduled refeeds (go by feel), if staying at the 90g level you should do at least a higher carb day on the more difficult/strenuous workout days or once/week. Your post workout is perfect.

Didn't know I could go that high on carbs with the Bulletproof Diet; for some reason I thought you were supposed to limit yourself to one serving a week and thought even my previous count of 90 g/day was too much  :shock:

I went ahead and updated the PDF and increased the carbs. Does this look better to you? I'll continue to raise the carb blocks every week and see how that feels.

• Oh and the new sheet, I missed it before but you don't need to increase your base from 25-33 on training days, for now I like it at 25 to start unless you are already eating more protein than that or raise it when you plateau or increase in size. You didn't need to change the rest days as you don't need carbs on rest days.

Well what about the rest days, do need to be increased to 25 or should those be left to 17? I've updated the PDF once more and left rest days at 17 blocks and workout days at 25 blocks. I've also added calories (as a percentage) from protein, carbs, and fat along with a total for both rest and workout days. It just doesn't look right to me however, seems like I'm not having enough  :???:

Also, does my post-workout nutrition need to be subtracted from my daily nutrition?

• The key is carb timing, eat them post workout and at night, protein, veg, and fat at meals away from those times.

what is the reason for this? and how much time apart from each other roughly?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2014

what is the reason for this? and how much time apart from each other roughly?

Away from veggies / protein – I'm actually not sure why Jason says this, perhaps to avoid competition for absorption and utilization? Jason?

Post workout – muscles cells are covered in glucose transporter 4 (GLUT4) post-workout, so blood sugar will be preferentially stored in and used for muscle repair. Carbs will raise blood sugar, which will activate GLUT2 in pancreatic beta cells, which releases insulin, which then activates GLUT4 on muscle and fat cells. Post-workout, we can hope most of the blood sugar goes into muscles and/or is used to replenish glycogen before the GLUT2 > insulin > GLUT4 on fat cells cascade can occur. Plus, there will be greater expression of GLUT4 on muscle cells post workout even if there is some expression on fat cells. 

Away from fat – don't spike insulin while ingesting fat if you don't want to store fat in fat cells. Insulin also actively shuts down fat burning when it is elevated. MCTs are the exception. 

How much apart – blood sugar can peak as much as 2.5 hours after a carb-heavy meal, so you'd ideally want to wait longer than that. Liquid forms of glucose peak much sooner, perhaps ~40 minutes.