Can They Come Out With New Vegetables, Please?

Looking around the produce section today I started wishing that God/whoever/whatever could come up with some new veggies. After almost 2 years of being BP, I'm starting to get really sick of veggies recently. Tired of looking at them, cleaning them, and eating them. Crap!

Maybe I'll hire one of those services that leaves you a meal in a cooler outside your door? Maybe if other people prepare them, the veggies will be more enticing?

Anyone else gone through this?

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Ever had one of these? A Broccoflower:

Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

• Monsanto is working on it. Please be patient.

• I'm there with you mmejoanna...and I will eat just about any veggie that I can figure out how to cook! For awhile I started getting one unfamiliar veggie each week or two, figuring out how to cook it etc. My grocery store and farmers market have very few surprises for me anymore. Perhaps getting a good vegetable cookbook and experimenting with different ways to prepare veggies would help(?) I like Deborah Madison's cookbooks for veggies, not every recipe is BP of course but it's usually not too hard to figure out how to adapt a recipe or invent your own based on what she says works well with each veg or combination of. Hope this helps!

• What helps me is if I incorporate the veggies into the dish I am making instead of just eating them on the side all the time.

• Frozen veggies are the shit. Makes life WAY easier without having to peel/wash/whanot.

Switch to frozen veggies for a bit, Brussels sprouts, green beans, peas, the latter being purely for nostalgia.

• Why "invent" new produce?

That takes us further away from what the whole "paleo" concept revolves around. Eating for genetics, what our hunter/gatherer "forager" ancestors ate.

Why not look into foraging your own wild foods? You're eating local, wild, MORE nutrient dense foods than the domesticated kind found on the shelves of grocery stores and markets.

Look into the nutrient density of wild foods compared to their domesticated counterparts.

That will add more variety and equally add a new element that lacks in our diets, bitterness.

• Why "invent" new produce?

That takes us further away from what the whole "paleo" concept revolves around. Eating for genetics, what our hunter/gatherer "forager" ancestors ate.

Why not look into foraging your own wild foods? You're eating local, wild, MORE nutrient dense foods than the domesticated kind found on the shelves of grocery stores and markets.

Look into the nutrient density of wild foods compared to their domesticated counterparts.

That will add more variety and equally add a new element that lacks in our diets, bitterness.

I'm not serious about my desire for new veggies to be invented! Although... come to think of it... I bet there are some cool veggies that I could order seeds for online somewhere that would give me some more variety? There has gotta be some weird heirloom versions of common staples? I will look into that. 

Foraging: Do you forage? My mom lives in the mountains and does some of that. 

• After composting with my Vitamix last year, something grew in my garden but I wasn't sure what it was for sure.  Tasted great, kind of a cross between a cucumber and a honeydew melon. 

• Foraging is probably about as paleo as you can get, just be sure your foraged food is actually edible! I've spoken with a few older folks around here who have told me their family wouldn't have survived without foraging (in the woods, not in dumpsters) when they were kids.

• I'm not serious about my desire for new veggies to be invented! Although... come to think of it... I bet there are some cool veggies that I could order seeds for online somewhere that would give me some more variety? There has gotta be some weird heirloom versions of common staples? I will look into that. 

Foraging: Do you forage? My mom lives in the mountains and does some of that. 

Currently, I don't. Only spring water really. I'm just getting into the art of foraging. There is a lot to know, what is local, what is safe and edible. I'm going to focus on one herb/food and begin to search that out. Peppermint or wild rice.

Wild rice grows in abundance around my area (Great Lakes) and I'd love to include that food. Peppermint I believe grows around rivers, streams and by water. I am just speculating and need to look into it more indepth.

I think it is the missing link in all "diet" (four letter word) models. This is what we have been designed to eat. Gotta get closer to our genetics.

• I found this little patch of wild asparagus while foraging by my house a couple years ago. It seems someone else has too. Either that or some little animal has been eating it. When you find these spots, keep them to yourself.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Lol guys it's not made by monsanto. It's real. I can get it in stores everywhere... never had it though. Will do it when season has come. It's kale season over here now...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training