Protein Fasting For Teens/college Students

I have asked questions like this before that is totally focused on younger people wanting to live long, healthy, and upgraded.

1. Does Protein fasting change based in the fact that I am younger? Should I do it more than once a week?

2. Protein fast day:

1. 7Am - Bulletproof Coffee with cocoa butter, vanilla, l-theanine (Helps sleep)

2. 1pm - Sweet potato with healthy fats

3. 6:30 - White rice with healthy fats (Btw, is it okay to boil white rice on high? Or is it better to boil on low-medium? I didn't think it mattered a whole lot when dealing with rice.)

4. I eat a lot of vegies on other days, but it is it bad to not have like any on the protein fast day? I am worried they have too much protein, and I am having trouble deciding on if I am reaping a lot of benefits from protein fasting. It is hard for me tell.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

Comments

• I don't have enough experience with protein fasting to answer most of these, though my gut feeling is that you wouldn't want to do it more than once a week if you are younger – presumably there's more cell turnover and other growth (even if you're not "still growing") that requires protein. 

What I did want to answer is that boiling water is 212F / 100C regardless of the strength of the burner under it. Any water that is hotter than that instantly becomes steam, and leaves the rest of the water. Higher heat will make bigger steam bubbles, and the water level will decrease faster. If the rice you are cooking calls for letting most of the water boil off over 20 minutes, choose a heat that makes that happen on the correct timeframe. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Is the goal of protein fasting to promote autophagy...or are there other reasons for protein fasting...?

I was just wondering about this the other day...most of the time i see/read protein fasting mentioned, autophagy seems to be the reason promoted for it/linked to it.

But i also read that insulin levels need to be kept low to allow autophagy to occur, so it would seem that just avoiding protein will not by itself allow autophagy.

fake it till you make it

• edited November 2014

I don't have any personal knowledge or experience on this, so I'm going to answer it intuitively.

Protein fasting stimulates the process of autophagy. It's a recycling of cellular components -- this is only necessary as 1) a survival mechanism (in nutrient deficient environments) or 2) to eliminate junk proteins. As a young Bulletproofer, I don't think either of those apply to you. You're getting nutrients and you're not old so none of your processes have broken down substantially.

Furthermore, autophagy happens at night when you sleep. As long as you're getting restorative sleep, your body is still doing this process every night, so you don't need to devote an entire day to it. This is a study I haven't read yet, but I'm sure it explains that: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3389582/

So, in conclusion, you do not need to be worrying about a protein fasting protocol at your age. When you get old and gray like me (I'm 24), you can start worrying about adult stuff like that.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

edited November 2014

Protein fasting stimulates the process of autophagy...

^...this is the bit i'm unsure of... i would say that starvation (ie. not eating) is what stimulates the process of autophagy. protein fasting will not be enough

fake it till you make it

• I don't have any personal knowledge or experience on this, so I'm going to answer it intuitively.

Protein fasting stimulates the process of autophagy. It's a recycling of cellular components -- this is only necessary as 1) a survival mechanism (in nutrient deficient environments) or 2) to eliminate junk proteins. As a young Bulletproofer, I don't think either of those apply to you. You're getting nutrients and you're not old so none of your processes have broken down substantially.

Furthermore, autophagy happens at night when you sleep. As long as you're getting restorative sleep, your body is still doing this process every night, so you don't need to devote an entire day to it. This is a study I haven't read yet, but I'm sure it explains that: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3389582/

So, in conclusion, you do not need to be worrying about a protein fasting protocol at your age. When you get old and gray like me (I'm 24), you can start worrying about adult stuff like that.

Since when did 24 become old? haha

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

• ^...this is the bit i'm unsure of... i would say that starvation (ie. not eating) is what stimulates the process of autophagy. protein fasting will not be enough

I will probably try that, but I feel like I won't perform well that day.

-Einstein

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Proteinfasting inhibits mTOR production which reduces TH17 related inflammation.

This is why my psoriasis goes away when I reduce salt and protein!!!!

http://selfhacked.com/2014/10/27/th17/#mTOR_Inhibitors_Are_Critical_To_Decreasing_Th17_Cells

Eat am much protein as necessary and not a bit more. I am also salt sensitive. Reducing both makes my skin lesions disappear. :) :) :)

I think protein from veggies are less important but grains and legumes do have a little more. Look at your rice package (at least in Germany they have to write on everything how much carbs,fat,and protein it contains)... Dave loves his white rice but yea it does contain some protein... and lots of carbs. I rather eat pumpkin, sweet potatoe and plantains... I gain less weight and can eat more of those.... figure it out for yourself.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

edited November 2014

Proteinfasting inhibits mTOR production which reduces TH17 related inflammation.

http://selfhacked.com/2014/10/27/th17/#mTOR_Inhibitors_Are_Critical_To_Decreasing_Th17_Cells

your mention of mTOR & the selfhacked link reminded me of another selfhacked post, which talked about mTOR activators & inhibitors, here;

All You Need To Know About mTOR And Natural mTOR Inhibitors

(i think you may have even linked to this one yourself under another thread)

fake it till you make it

edited November 2014

hi DMan, out of interest, what about your carb intake...does that have any effect on your psoriasis

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

your mention of mTOR & the selfhacked link reminded me of another selfhacked post, which talked about mTOR activators & inhibitors, here;

All You Need To Know About mTOR And Natural mTOR Inhibitors

(i think you may have even linked to this one yourself under another thread)

YES mTOR is directly correlated to TH17 so I am currently inhibiting both. I am also genetically producing more TNF and IL 6. At least one of them is also correlated to HT17 production...

hi DMan, out of interest, what about your carb intake...does that have any effect on your psoriasis

Yes ketogenic diet is good.... because excessive calories (like eating lots of dates) bad and ketones good. I am somewhat sensitive to saturated fat so I started to get more MUFA and Omega3 and hemp for GLA into my diet.

I am currently hacking my way out of this. I started taking all the info from all the pages I think I need on selfhacked and started comparing all the things that inhibit my specific inflammation systems..

Joe is not talking nicely about Dave all the time but this is because Dave is more of the TH2 dominant guys while TH1 dominant people like me may not get better on butter and salt... I follow both of them and take all that helps me. After all someone on this forum directed me to selfhacked.com.

And last but not least I get the help from John Brisson for fixing my gut as well. So we are working together on fixing this.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training