Health Suffering On Bp Diet. Please Help.

Hi There, 

I've been doing the bulletproof diet for over a month now along with the BP coffee in the morning with MCT oil.  I've noticed my low thyroid symptoms are back (minus the brain fog and low energy), I've gained about 7lbs., I missed my cycle (which never happens), my elimination is infrequent, and I've been in a crummy mood.  I'm not sleeping well either.  This clearly isn't working for me and I suspect my adrenals are suffering.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong.  Any suggestions on what might be throwing my system out of whack?  I'm supplementing with vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, methylated Bs, and digestive enzymes.  Is this common until your body adjusts or what?  

Thanks!

No one has addressed the issue with adrenals, thyroid, and elimination.  What's the deal with this?  Should I try drinking more himalayan saltwater in the morning for elimination?  My body is clearly stressed on this diet.  What is the best way to deal with this?

UPDATE: Taking Betaine HCL totally addressed the elimination issue.  I'm using NOW brand but Source Naturals is the one Dave recommends.  Especially if you're an A blood type (as I am), the betaine is super helpful.  A blood types tend to have lower stomach acid so digesting fats and protein can be a challenge.  Such a helpful product!  Of course, be sure to follow the directions and not take too many, it's hydrochloric acid after all.  Also, try lipase.

Comments

• Dale Tobias BruceDale Tobias Bruce Writer
    edited November 2014

What else are you doing, besides those supplements and BPC in the morning?

Edit: I see now you said you were doing the Bulletproof Diet plus coffee. So I'll rephrase, are you.. 100% Bulletproof? or somewhat bulletproof? The answer to this question can make a huge difference.

When it comes to being Bulletproof, there's no, 75% or 99% or it just won't work. I had the same problems, Well, aside from the female ones lol, my problem was, I wasn't 100% bulletproof when I said I was. Once I changed to 100%..I ended up losing 27 pounds in a month. I know the BP Diet works differently for Women though and if I remember correctly, while it may work quickly for some..one month might not be enough to get the full benefits of the BP Diet.

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

• What else are you doing, besides those supplements and BPC in the morning?

Edit: I see now you said you were doing the Bulletproof Diet plus coffee. So I'll rephrase, are you.. 100% Bulletproof? or somewhat bulletproof? The answer to this question can make a huge difference.

When it comes to being Bulletproof, there's no, 75% or 99% or it just won't work. I had the same problems, Well, aside from the female ones lol, my problem was, I wasn't 100% bulletproof when I said I was. Once I changed to 100%..I ended up losing 27 pounds in a month. I know the BP Diet works differently for Women though and if I remember correctly, while it may work quickly for some..one month might not be enough to get the full benefits of the BP Diet.

Hi, so I'm pretty sure I'm close to 100%.  I should be eating less that 30 grams of carbs per day, right?  I'm not counting carbs but I'm only eating low-carb vegetables and not very much.  I wish the book would hurry up and come out so I can get more details about the diet.  Anyway, I've also been using those ketosis testing strips and so far not throwing off ketones.  When you lost all that weight what did your meal plan look like on an average day?

Even if I address the weight issues that doesn't necessarily mean my body will return to balance.  Should I be eating MCT oil at every meal or what?  I just don't want to stress my system to much.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2014

I should be eating less that 30 grams of carbs per day, right?

Depends on your activity level, but most people can maintain ketosis up to 50g net carbs (carbs - fiber.) 

Either way, if you've been doing this for 30+ days, you are in desperate need of a carb refeed of at least 150g net carbs, ideally as white rice and/or sweet potato. This is like 3+ cups white rice, or many sweet potatoes. 

If you look under the starch column of the BP diet infographic, it says "once a week, take 1 day to eat more." This is the refeed. Search the forum for "carb refeed" to find out more. This is a common newbie mistake, unfortunately. Most men can handle once every 7 days, but for whatever reason, most women find they do better with more carbs, either as more frequent refeeds, or just more every day. 

• Depends on your activity level, but most people can maintain ketosis up to 50g net carbs (carbs - fiber.) 

Either way, if you've been doing this for 30+ days, you are in desperate need of a carb refeed of at least 150g net carbs, ideally as white rice and/or sweet potato. This is like 3+ cups white rice, or many sweet potatoes. 

If you look under the starch column of the BP diet infographic, it says "once a week, take 1 day to eat more." This is the refeed. Search the forum for "carb refeed" to find out more. This is a common newbie mistake, unfortunately. Most men can handle once every 7 days, but for whatever reason, most women find they do better with more carbs, either as more frequent refeeds, or just more every day. 

Thanks!  That reminds me, I need to add more fiber.  Any recommendations on how to do this the bulletproof way?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited November 2014

Avocado and/or lots of veggies. The fiber supplements sold for "bulk" like psyllium husk generally just scrape up the intestinal walls. Once you are willing to increase carbs a bit, especially since you're subtracting fiber for net carbs, you won't need to worry so much about the carb contents of vegetables. 

A bulletproof meal generally has a LOT of the plate covered in vegetables. I'll often take a whole head of steamed broccoli or cauliflower and blend it up with some broth and butter as a soup.

I just finished a 36oz veggie smoothie with swiss chard, brussels sprouts, and avocado. It had 45g total carbs, but 24g fiber, so only 21g net carbs. 

BTW I think the reason your testing strips aren't showing ketones is that the length of time you've been extremely low carb has downregulated your thyroid and adrenals and you're using all the ketones you produce. Testing strips measure excess ketones excreted in urine. If you're not getting enough energy from your food, you're not likely to be excreting excess energy. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Another reason the pee strips don't show ketones is once you're in full swing of ketosis the acetoacetate starts being used and is not excreted any longer. The best way to test is by testing your blood for beta-hydroxybutyrate.
  • Another vote for carb re-feeds here! Also, check out Dave's recent post on protein fasting and for info specific to women on the BP diet check out "No-Fail Fat Burning for Women" by Skye St. John - there's also a thread on the forum about her book & method. Good luck mollysu!

• Another vote for carb re-feeds here! Also, check out Dave's recent post on protein fasting and for info specific to women on the BP diet check out "No-Fail Fat Burning for Women" by Skye St. John - there's also a thread on the forum about her book & method. Good luck mollysu!

Thanks, I'll pick up the book.

• Avocado and/or lots of veggies. The fiber supplements sold for "bulk" like psyllium husk generally just scrape up the intestinal walls. Once you are willing to increase carbs a bit, especially since you're subtracting fiber for net carbs, you won't need to worry so much about the carb contents of vegetables. 

A bulletproof meal generally has a LOT of the plate covered in vegetables. I'll often take a whole head of steamed broccoli or cauliflower and blend it up with some broth and butter as a soup.

I just finished a 36oz veggie smoothie with swiss chard, brussels sprouts, and avocado. It had 45g total carbs, but 24g fiber, so only 21g net carbs. 

BTW I think the reason your testing strips aren't showing ketones is that the length of time you've been extremely low carb has downregulated your thyroid and adrenals and you're using all the ketones you produce. Testing strips measure excess ketones excreted in urine. If you're not getting enough energy from your food, you're not likely to be excreting excess energy. 

My thyroid/adrenals and still struggling.  Perhaps my liver as well.  Do you have any recommendations for reducing the stress of this diet on the body?  I feel pretty slowed-down.  Thanks!

• My thyroid/adrenals and still struggling.  Perhaps my liver as well.  Do you have any recommendations for reducing the stress of this diet on the body?  I feel pretty slowed-down.  Thanks!

Have you done a carb refeed yet? How many carbs?

• Have you done a carb refeed yet? How many carbs?

This weekend! :)  I did a little research and it seems like I have low cortisol (perhaps from the low carb diet and MCT oil)... which it likely throwing my thyroid off.  If the carb refeed supposed to address that... and weight loss?  Drinking the himalayan salt water in the morning and throughout the day may help raise cortisol too...?

• This weekend! :)  I did a little research and it seems like I have low cortisol (perhaps from the low carb diet and MCT oil)... which it likely throwing my thyroid off.  If the carb refeed supposed to address that... and weight loss?  Drinking the himalayan salt water in the morning and throughout the day may help raise cortisol too...?

The whole thing is a really complex web, BUT in the simplest form, I think the refeed will help. Personally, if I'd gone 30 days at ~30g carbs/day, I would probably take two days or more to have a lot of carbs in the form of white rice and sweet potato. 

When most people go super low carb for a long time, it downregulates metabolic hormones and cause some hypothyroid symptoms. If you continue to try to lead a normal life with everything downregulated, that leads to adrenal stress, and all these factors lead to cortisol disregulation. (You may have low cortisol. You also may have a poorly timed cortisol curve: cortisol should fluctuate throughout the day, and in these circumstances you can have the wrong amounts for the time of day it is.) I haven't heard of a connection between MCT and cortisol values, but there is certainly a connection with low carb. 

It's pretty common for folks who get into this lifestyle to be forced to internalize "carbs are bad." After all, when there's so much added sugar hiding in most products, it's easy to think you're ketogenic when really you're pounding carbs without realizing it. As beginners we have to just avoid carbs like the plague. However, a lot of us have had to tone that down, and realize carbs are not evil, they just need to be managed properly. 

Jason Miller's "Bulletproofing the Athlete" thread in the Athletic Performance area of this forum shows how he'll have a pretty serious amount of carbs on days he works out, the BJJ Caveman got hypothyroid on a ketogenic diet, there are lots of threads about it here in the women's forum, Tim Ferriss recommends cheat days in part for this reason, and even Dave Asprey has stopped his mucous production and gotten new food allergies by going too low-carb. I've crashed hard and gotten dry eyes and sinuses, but I think I avoided the allergies. 

The refeed should help with signs of adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid, as well as for weight loss. By spiking carbs, you'll signal your body that there's plenty of food to be had, so there's no reason to hold onto fat. 

That said, the refeed will cause you to gain water weight. You are replenishing stored energy as glycogen in the liver which is stored with water, and could be 3+ pounds. On top o that, the starch you ate will increase water retention in your gut. In these situations, the scale gets people into trouble. Remember that it is physiologically impossible to gain that kind of fat in such a short period of time. I regularly gain 5+ pounds on refeeds, and it falls off predictably over the next few days. 

I'd also take a quick look at your total calories. When we eliminate carbs, it's easy to end up low calorie without meaning to. That's messed me up before as well. If you have been low calorie, try to spike calories well above maintenance during the refeed. That will signal the body that it can turn on your metabolism at full blast. 

The sea salt water, especially if taken lying down before getting out of bed, should help with adrenal fatigue. The adrenal glands need to convert potassium to sodium to raise blood pressure so you don't pass out when you first stand up in the morning, so providing salt from an external source relieves some of the pressure on them. 

The reason I say it's a tangled web (if the above isn't complex enough for you, haha) is that your cholesterol, sex hormones, cortisol, and thyroid are all interlinked and can "steal" from each other. Low sex drive when you're stressed? Cortisol stole from sex hormones. Hypothyroid when you're stressed? Same thing. BUT in your particular case the huge elephant in the room is carbs.

I am still learning about how all these hormones are linked together (as are most doctors!) but if you are interested in a deep-dive, there is a LONG discussion on this I recently watched from Kelly Starrett and a doctor who focusses on this stuff. Starts at 6:15 here. (Really though, only if you want to geek out on this stuff.) It mentions testosterone a lot, but the basic concepts all apply, and women need testosterone too, just much less than men. 

• The whole thing is a really complex web, BUT in the simplest form, I think the refeed will help. Personally, if I'd gone 30 days at ~30g carbs/day, I would probably take two days or more to have a lot of carbs in the form of white rice and sweet potato. 

When most people go super low carb for a long time, it downregulates metabolic hormones and cause some hypothyroid symptoms. If you continue to try to lead a normal life with everything downregulated, that leads to adrenal stress, and all these factors lead to cortisol disregulation. (You may have low cortisol. You also may have a poorly timed cortisol curve: cortisol should fluctuate throughout the day, and in these circumstances you can have the wrong amounts for the time of day it is.) I haven't heard of a connection between MCT and cortisol values, but there is certainly a connection with low carb. 

It's pretty common for folks who get into this lifestyle to be forced to internalize "carbs are bad." After all, when there's so much added sugar hiding in most products, it's easy to think you're ketogenic when really you're pounding carbs without realizing it. As beginners we have to just avoid carbs like the plague. However, a lot of us have had to tone that down, and realize carbs are not evil, they just need to be managed properly. 

Jason Miller's "Bulletproofing the Athlete" thread in the Athletic Performance area of this forum shows how he'll have a pretty serious amount of carbs on days he works out, the BJJ Caveman got hypothyroid on a ketogenic diet, there are lots of threads about it here in the women's forum, Tim Ferriss recommends cheat days in part for this reason, and even Dave Asprey has stopped his mucous production and gotten new food allergies by going too low-carb. I've crashed hard and gotten dry eyes and sinuses, but I think I avoided the allergies. 

The refeed should help with signs of adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid, as well as for weight loss. By spiking carbs, you'll signal your body that there's plenty of food to be had, so there's no reason to hold onto fat. 

That said, the refeed will cause you to gain water weight. You are replenishing stored energy as glycogen in the liver which is stored with water, and could be 3+ pounds. On top o that, the starch you ate will increase water retention in your gut. In these situations, the scale gets people into trouble. Remember that it is physiologically impossible to gain that kind of fat in such a short period of time. I regularly gain 5+ pounds on refeeds, and it falls off predictably over the next few days. 

I'd also take a quick look at your total calories. When we eliminate carbs, it's easy to end up low calorie without meaning to. That's messed me up before as well. If you have been low calorie, try to spike calories well above maintenance during the refeed. That will signal the body that it can turn on your metabolism at full blast. 

The sea salt water, especially if taken lying down before getting out of bed, should help with adrenal fatigue. The adrenal glands need to convert potassium to sodium to raise blood pressure so you don't pass out when you first stand up in the morning, so providing salt from an external source relieves some of the pressure on them. 

The reason I say it's a tangled web (if the above isn't complex enough for you, haha) is that your cholesterol, sex hormones, cortisol, and thyroid are all interlinked and can "steal" from each other. Low sex drive when you're stressed? Cortisol stole from sex hormones. Hypothyroid when you're stressed? Same thing. BUT in your particular case the huge elephant in the room is carbs.

I am still learning about how all these hormones are linked together (as are most doctors!) but if you are interested in a deep-dive, there is a LONG discussion on this I recently watched from Kelly Starrett and a doctor who focusses on this stuff. Starts at 6:15 here. (Really though, only if you want to geek out on this stuff.) It mentions testosterone a lot, but the basic concepts all apply, and women need testosterone too, just much less than men.

ACH85. this is one of the most helpful pieces of advice and info I have read on these forums. Just wanted to say thank you.

• The whole thing is a really complex web, BUT in the simplest form, I think the refeed will help. Personally, if I'd gone 30 days at ~30g carbs/day, I would probably take two days or more to have a lot of carbs in the form of white rice and sweet potato. 

What a magnificent post!  THANK YOU!  Do you recommend any additional supplements to stay on track and keep the body from becoming stressed... or help it regulate its cortisol?  Like BCAA or something?  This is all new to me so as far as how much to use of what and when... I'm clueless.  The main issue I'm running into that seems to be different from everyone else is that I'm getting super hungry about 2-3 hours after drinking my bulletproof tea (intolerant to coffee, turns out).  

Here's the recipe I've been making every morning: 2 T grass-fed butter, 1/2 t Brain Octane Oil, 1/2 t matcha green tea powder (or another type of tea), 5 drop vanilla creme liquid stevia, 1 T collagen

Do I need more fat, you think?  Or MCT oil?  After drinking this I always feel REALLY cold (low cortisol/thyroid?) and super energized (borderline anxious).  I've tinkered with a few different recipes but I haven't been able to find one that keeps me from getting hungry shortly thereafter.  I'm a PhD student so calm, focused energy is preferred to energized but anxious (and cold).  Suggestions???  

You've been such a help, thank you again!  I'll look into the resources you've recommended so far.  Looking forward to carbing-up this weekend! :)