Stop This Ringing In My Ears!

Greetings

Is it windy out, or just me?

Seriously, what is this noise I am now hearing in my left ear constantly? All of sudden over the last few days I have begun to hear a strange wind like noise in my left ear. It’s not a ringing like tinnitus … more of a dull rushing sound. It also almost feels like when you get water in your ear whilst showering … it’s that plugged up feeling. In other words there is pressure along with it. Very strange and unlike anything that has happened to me so far … well it is normal for my ears to ring, but that is after band rehearsals, so it’s expected. Lol.

Anybody else experience this? Any idea what it could be? It’s very annoying and I now understand why people with tinnitus often compare it to Chinese Water Torture. It just never stops …

I slapped a blood pressure cuff on last night wondering if my normally optimal blood pressure somehow spiked due to a new supplement or something, and it was still very good. Though my pulse has been high … I was showing like 117 over 80 with a pulse of 80. This seems high.

Any idea what would make a person’s heart race whom otherwise has excellent vitals?

I’m thinking it is more a matter of just needing to eliminate yet another thing from my dietary rotation. And yet, looking over what I eat … mainly vegetable, salmon, beef and lamb … I’m scratching my head. My Pink Himalayian Sea Salt? Hmmmm …

Tagged:

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Hey,

I have and had all kinds of weird ear noises and symptoms.

It it feels like it is plugged it really can be plugged with ear wax...your ear doctor can flush it out in 2 minutes.

I assume this is the most simple cause.

Tinnitus can also cause this weird dull rushing Sound. It can also interfere with specific frequencies... The causes can be everything from your neck to inflammation in the brain. 

Heart race can Come from early ketosis adaptation as well as keto acidosis...but for all of the above I would have to ask my glassball in order to give you a diagnosis. 

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

as DMan says, could be anything...

including middle ear fluid/otitis media/eustachian tube dysfunction. < if it's this, you could try blowing up a balloon thru one nostril (no joke), then try the other nostril.

you can also try without the balloon; just close one nostril & place a thumb over the opening of the other. then blow air out your nose forcing air against/past your thumb. adjust your thumb to vary the pressure on your ear drums/eustachian tubes. then do the other nostril.

the idea is that this will open the eustachian tube opening at the back of the throat and blow/suck any liquid/blockage out.

ENT_eustachian_tube.gif

how_does_otovent_work.jpg

fake it till you make it

• Scott1964Scott1964
    edited November 2014

"Could be anything" really narrows it down. Lol. Hmmm ...

Thanks.

I doubt it has to do with anything actually being in my ear. I'm pretty looney about cleaning my ears and stuff, so that would be surprising.

I guess it could be the Keto Acidosis thing ... not that I know what that is, but that would make more sense when you consider the timeframes in which I noticed all of this. I've been playing in loud rock bands since I was fourteen, so I doubt that it all of sudden has given me tinnitus in one ear.

But I'm still figuring out many things related to my diet, and that was why I originally asked the question. This seems more to be something that I have recently started doing. If it's related to blood pressure, than I need to look at what could be causing that. And yet my blood pressure remains good. If it's realted to electrolytes, than I need to get that figured out ... don't see how that would be true either ... but something is causing this. I believe every weird little symptom we experience is our body trying to get our attention. This means something ... my body IS trying to tell me something ... I just apparently don't speak the language ... It's trying to tell me in it's own, weird, body language. No speaka ...

What I'm trying to detemine is the sorts of things that could cause one ear to all of sudden develop the symptoms I mentioned earlier.

I appreciate you guys weighing in, but based on what you both say, and the other internet research I've done thusfar, this just seems to be one of those things like a headache where it can be caused by so many different things that you never do figure it out ... you just turn the other cheek ... er, ear.

Let me throw out another possibility ... just thinking out loud here ... if it is related to ketosis, might I just need to find a way to get more carbs? The reason I ask is, carbs are difficult for me ... none of them really work for my digestion and so I frequently go without carbs all together. Dave is always talking about eating Sweet Potatoes and Rice, but those are trouble. I never really have been able to settle on a go-to carb yet ( I do get a good amount of raw honey). What this means is that lots of people tell me that I look too skinny these days (used to weight 200 pounds) ... folks are always trying to tell me to gain some weight. This is becuase I can't find carbs and spend about 90% of my time on Ketosis.

It would be nice if we could tie all of these symptoms together into one nice neat little package ... maybe the lack of carbs is causing both the racing heart and the inner ear issues?

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Jasmine rice?

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Scott1964Scott1964
    edited November 2014

Yes, among others. For some reason when I go for sushi, I don't have any trouble with the rice. When I make it at home on the other hand, it causes me to feel ... hmmm ... like something is missing. It really affects my moods. It is just carbs and the effect it has is it makes me very moody and like I need something ... though I wouldn't know what. It's just an overall feeling something is missing from my life. As one who has been sucidial at various times in my life, I don't need anything giving my moods an unecessary jolt. It's all very fragile up there anyway, so I tend to stay away from things that affect blood sugar and mood like rice and yams and stuff.

I did have better luck purchasing a brand of Organic Sushi rice recently ... I also rinsed it really well ... that seemed to help out, but I still got mildly bummed that evening.

I'd say, John, I used to use Jamine Rice about 95% of the time when I made it at home and then I would just eat whatever the sushi restaurant served. IS there a problem with that particular strain of rice?

Jasmine should cause the least issues for the gut, but can have blood sugar issues unless mixed with oil.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

"Could be anything" really narrows it down. Lol. Hmmm ...

Thanks.

I doubt it has to do with anything actually being in my ear. I'm pretty looney about cleaning my ears and stuff, so that would be surprising.

I guess it could be the Keto Acidosis thing ... not that I know what that is, but that would make more sense when you consider the timeframes in which I noticed all of this. I've been playing in loud rock bands since I was fourteen, so I doubt that it all of sudden has given me tinnitus in one ear.

But I'm still figuring out many things related to my diet, and that was why I originally asked the question. This seems more to be something that I have recently started doing. If it's related to blood pressure, than I need to look at what could be causing that. And yet my blood pressure remains good. If it's realted to electrolytes, than I need to get that figured out ... don't see how that would be true either ... but something is causing this. I believe every weird little symptom we experience is our body trying to get our attention. This means something ... my body IS trying to tell me something ... I just apparently don't speak the language ... It's trying to tell me in it's own, weird, body language. No speaka ...

What I'm trying to detemine is the sorts of things that could cause one ear to all of sudden develop the symptoms I mentioned earlier.

I appreciate you guys weighing in, but based on what you both say, and the other internet research I've done thusfar, this just seems to be one of those things like a headache where it can be caused by so many different things that you never do figure it out ... you just turn the other cheek ... er, ear.

Let me throw out another possibility ... just thinking out loud here ... if it is related to ketosis, might I just need to find a way to get more carbs? The reason I ask is, carbs are difficult for me ... none of them really work for my digestion and so I frequently go without carbs all together. Dave is always talking about eating Sweet Potatoes and Rice, but those are trouble. I never really have been able to settle on a go-to carb yet ( I do get a good amount of raw honey). What this means is that lots of people tell me that I look too skinny these days (used to weight 200 pounds) ... folks are always trying to tell me to gain some weight. This is becuase I can't find carbs and spend about 90% of my time on Ketosis.

It would be nice if we could tie all of these symptoms together into one nice neat little package ... maybe the lack of carbs is causing both the racing heart and the inner ear issues?

Scott get some carbs in you, but as far as the ear ringing it could be because of daylight savings time, government testing, or changes in the weather / solar cycles. My ears have started ringing recently a lot, after months of no issues, so my guess is DST.

• My father had a similar circumstance arise - he basically woke up one day and was adamant about a lorry being parked directly outside the house as he was getting annoyed at the noisy diesel engine. After I checked a handful of times, I pointed out that there was no engine noise and nothing to be seen. So it turns out he'd woken up with tinnitus and 90%+ nerve damage in his right ear, losing the majority of his hearing. It's developed into Meniere's disease which is pretty crappy, but I suppose that's venturing off topic slightly.

So I'd say get it checked out, just because it's not a typical ringing noise that others describe, it doesn't mean it's not potentially tinnitus. Boy do I sound like a killjoy! Anyway, hopefully it's only something transient & nothing too serious!

The problem with common sense is that it isn't all that common.

• My left ear started ringing about 10 years ago. It came on suddenly and never went away.  This was in the early days of iPod -- had mine wired to my car stereo (before the days bluetooth) and I thought the high pitch ringing as coming from the iPod set up.  It drove me crazy for about a month but after a while I learned to ignore it.  Sometimes it either goes away or maybe I just don't notice it. It seems worse when I am tired or stressed.  I saw an audiologist. I was tested, told my hearing was unaffected, and told that its tinnitus and they have no idea what causes it. Sometimes I wonder my front row tickets to an AC/DC concert in the 80's are to blame.

edited November 2014

have there been any recent changes to medications/drugs/supplements...additions/subtractions/dose changes/brand changes etc...

anyway, get yourself along for a hearing test.

when i got tested, i had asymmetrical hearing loss...'they' don't like asymmetrical, gives 'them' a concerned look. & you get referred for a head mri, to check for any nasties.

i also have tinnitus which 'matches' my hearing loss...ie. asymmetrical loudness & roughly matches the frequency of my hearing loss.

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Yup. I don't want to scare anybody but this is how I got diagnosed with ms... Was out all night partying... And woke up with a tinnitus in one ear....they checked everything...And found stuff in my brain.

But a plugged ear can Come from cleaning your ears too. If you use qutips.

Most doctors said it didn't Come from my ms. So it's probably came from stress durin my master thesis. I had adrenal fatigue and adrenal fatigue comes with tinnitus quite offen.

Let a doctor take a look at it.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

edited November 2014
    here are some random/non-mainstream tidbits i have found whilst investigating tinnitus...may as well post it up...

Tinnitus remedy: give 'ear/head drumming' a go...i think this one is more to fix a temporary ringing you get after exposure to a loud noise,

To perform this technique, put the palms of your hands over your ears.

The fingers are on the back of the head.

The middle fingers point towards each other and are on the base of the skull just above the point where the skull ends.

Now lift the index fingers and place them on top of the middle fingers and then snap the index fingers off the middle fingers so that they beat the skull like a drum.

In fact, with your hands covering your ears, the sound may be quite loud and may indeed sound like the beating of a drum.

Repeat the drumming about 40 to 50 times. Depending on the severity of the condition, one could repeat the technique several times a day.

Traditional Chinese Medicine...i found this info here;

Tinnitus due to Kidney disorder;

The characteristics of tinnitus caused by kidney disorder; The ringing sound can be as fine as insect sounds, if you use your hands to cover the ears, the ringing sound will be diminished or disappear.

At the same time, you may have the following symptoms such as; lethargy, dizziness, waist/hip pain, knee pain, impotence, lowered libido, frequent urination (especially at night-time), thirsty at night-time, wake up early.

Tinnitus due to Liver and gallbladder disorder;

This type of tinnitus has a particular sound intensity and feature: it sounds like running water or loud machinery noise. When the ears are covered by the hands, the ringing sound will louder.

At the same time you may have the following symptoms, such as; easily to become angry, very emotional, stressed, reddened face and hot bodied, restlessness and frequent dreaming, insomnia, constipation or sluggish bowel movement, abdomen feeling full or bloating,neck and shoulder stiff and painful, headache, itchy ears.

fake it till you make it

• This sounds exactly how it was for me when I got an ear infection. My right ear felt clogged, and whenever I heard a sound it left a ringing sound in my ear for a few seconds. I ended up getting antibiotics and it went away after a week. Though be careful not mess up your gut ecology, John would be the best person to consult in that case.

• What I'm noticing now is really strange. It only seems to occur when I'm at home ... Or near home. It seems weaker out in the lot near my car. And when I'm away, or even at work, I completely forget about it because it's non existent.

As soon as I enter the stairwell in my apartment complex, that's when I notice it. It seems to be worse in my apartment which has me suspecting some sort of new RF interferance or something.

Still all occurring just in the left ear. And it was never a ringing. It's a dull flowing sound accompanied by the slightest pressure fluctuations.

Still scratching my head.
    edited November 2014

Still all occurring just in the left ear. And it was never a ringing. It's a dull flowing sound accompanied by the slightest pressure fluctuations.

Still scratching my head.

some people describe their 'tinnitus' as a whooshing sound, does that possibly describe yours as well. this can be limited to one ear as well.

i seem to recall reading that in some people, this whooshing sound may be the sound of blood pumping in/around the vicinity of the ear (pulsatile tinnitus).

if of interest, google things like 'whooshing sound ear' & 'pulsatile tinnitus'.

Also scratching your head will not help...did the head scratching start before or after the sound appeared...?  (j/k) 

fake it till you make it

• These kind of symptoms are usually related to poor kidney function.  Address the kidney function and the ear noises should clear up.

• Hmmm. I'll check into the kidney function thing. Any recommended protocols?

Ehh, the head scratching just appear to be ongoing ...
    edited November 2014

Hmmm. I'll check into the kidney function thing. Any recommended protocols?

I would be interested to hear about any 'kidney protocols' as well.

That info i mentioned above about Chinese Medicine and 'kidney disorder'...they seem to recommend the herb Rehmannia (ref) or something called the rehmannia six formula (Liuwei Dihuang Wan).

fake it till you make it

• I couldn't comment on the kidney function in particular, but your description of the 'dull flowing' noise matches that of my fathers description, although he says it also sounds mechanical.

Unfortunately, an MRI may be one avenue to assess any underlying issues you might have.

The problem with common sense is that it isn't all that common.

• There doesn't seem to be too much info out there about improving Kidney function. Dave has mentioned things in the past that are conducive to good kidney function but I don't recall seeing a dedicated article or anything like that. On the internet I just see Renal therapy and such.

The reason the kidney function thing piqued my interest was I seem to have some of those other symptoms as well. I'm looking into gall bladder issues too based on Daz's post. Though that would be surprising.

I've noticed that I feel much better overall ... my mood is better when I eat some carbs with dinner. However if I do it a couple days in a row, it alsmost has the opposite effect. Bums me out. All of this stuff is such a delicate balance ... I wonder if I'll ever get it sussed out ...

There doesn't seem to be too much info out there about improving Kidney function. Dave has mentioned things in the past that are conducive to good kidney function but I don't recall seeing a dedicated article or anything like that. On the internet I just see Renal therapy and such.

The reason the kidney function thing piqued my interest was I seem to have some of those other symptoms as well. I'm looking into gall bladder issues too based on Daz's post. Though that would be surprising.

I've noticed that I feel much better overall ... my mood is better when I eat some carbs with dinner. However if I do it a couple days in a row, it alsmost has the opposite effect. Bums me out. All of this stuff is such a delicate balance ... I wonder if I'll ever get it sussed out ...

Coq10

• Thanks John. I'll check into the Coq10.

I also just discovered the episode of the Bulletproof Radio podcast that features you and your story. I thinks it's episode #39 ... Anyway, it looks like you cover some of this territory in your discussion ... Gonna listen to that as soon as possible.

Thanks again everybody.
  • This would seem to support what John is saying.

http://www.rejuvenation-science.com/n_coq10-kidney_failure.html
  • Got a blood panel. My kidney function was fine but my cholesterol, not so much. I wonder if this has something to do with that rushing sound.

I've been getting more carbs via white rice and that seems to have helped with just feeling better overall. I have trouble with carbs. The damn lectins get me with butternut squash and potatoes. I can do some raw honey. That and white rice is about all I get. Oh yeah, chocolate powder as well.

I saw some other posts on here about folks having difficulty with diets higher in saturated fats and it resulting in elevated bad cholesterol. So, I'm looking into that.
  • Well ... it's been almost a year since I started this post. Here's an update.

All ringing in my ears is now completely gone. Except after a band rehearsal or gig ...

Seriously ... I never got to the bottom of this one and now that problem is gone all together ...

So, what did we learn?

Nothing ... just that ringing ears are no fun.

• I have lived with tinnitus most of my life and what you are referring reminds me of the beginning stages of what my tinnitus sounded like. You need to be careful to the exposure of loud music especially live music. I would suggest looking into some headphones to block out the sound. And if you are having them after a gig or a band rehearsal, that's your ears telling you its too loud. Each time you play without protect is another chance that the ringing in the ears that you don't like, will be a permanent thing.. I swear it went from slight city traffic level of tinnitus to a jet takeoff level of tinnitus in a mere year when I played in a band. I didn't put protection either and didn't listen and now it stayed with me for the rest of my life. I take Lipo-Flavonoid to bring the levels down and to get tinnitus relief, but you don't want to be taking supplements and hoping for a cure because you waited too late to protect your years. Please start today and protect you ears. Wish you the best.

• I wanted to add to my post before because I found a fantastic white noise machine that has changed my sleeping habits with tinnitus for the better. There was a day where this feeling would engulf me for days. It was fear and I hated it. I was always worried about the next time that I felt like garbage. Ringing in the ears took over my life and I had little control of what I do during the night. Everyday, I would obsess about the haunting ringing sound. Anyways, after a whole lot of panicking, I realized that if I was able to get better sleep, that my day by day stuff would be much better. And it was! With anything that you are dealing with in your life, if you are getting good sleep, you can handle it better. Well, I wasn't before which is why it was so hard. This noise cancellation machine that I found is made by specialty for tinnitus got me the sleep I needed. And while It has pink noise, white noise, and brown noise as it switches so it really masks the tinnitus. If you are interested please check out https://lipoflavonoid.com/home/20-sonorest-sleep-tones-machine . If you don't look at this product, that;s fine too. But remember, you need to get the right amount of sleep or your experience with tinnitus is going to be hell.

• Check out Menieres Disease which is a wastebasket term for what you might have had and what I am currently experiencing. It probably involves inflammation in the inner ear, or more coagulation inner ear fluid. They say coffee and alcohol can aggravate symptoms. And over time can cause permanent hearing loss. I have started intermittent fasting, am hoping this will address the inflamation, and am encouraged by your report that your ear issue has passed. Thanks for putting this out there.