2 Hours Of No Light? How?

zonk117zonk117
edited November 2014 in Sleep
Okay, I am attempting to stay away from all sources of light 2 hours before bed, but I have no idea what to do during those two hours other than sit, induction Matt, and podcast. I can only do that for so long though before I want to go to bed... Any suggestions on what to do those last two hours?

1. Can you read with dim orange light without affecting sleep that much?

2. what about a quick glance at my iPhone on low brightness with orange glasses on? Does that affect me a lot?

3. What if I go to bed before the 2 hours waiting period? Does that make me sleep worse because I am only 45 min-1 hour away from light? (This tends to happen a lot because my patience is not that BP I guess, and I want to go slow down for bed right after 8pm. I am ready for bed by 9pm (emwave, orange glasses, light dimming, supplements, and induction Matt), but that is only away from light for an hour.)

4. Is stressing my brain with a podcast bad? I am really listening and thinking through the podcast while I lay on the induction mat. Any thoughts there?

5. I have to look at my phone to set sleep cycle before bed OR Beddit/other sleep tracker

I know everyone is different, but I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

Comments

• Okay, I am attempting to stay away from all sources of light 2 hours before bed, but I have no idea what to do during those two hours other than sit, induction Matt, and podcast. I can only do that for so long though before I want to go to bed... Any suggestions on what to do those last two hours?

1. Can you read with dim orange light without affecting sleep that much?

2. what about a quick glance at my iPhone on low brightness with orange glasses on? Does that affect me a lot?

3. What if I go to bed before the 2 hours waiting period? Does that make me sleep worse because I am only 45 min-1 hour away from light? (This tends to happen a lot because my patience is not that BP I guess, and I want to go slow down for bed right after 8pm. I am ready for bed by 9pm (emwave, orange glasses, light dimming, supplements, and induction Matt), but that is only away from light for an hour.)

4. Is stressing my brain with a podcast bad? I am really listening and thinking through the podcast while I lay on the induction mat. Any thoughts there?

5. I have to look at my phone to set sleep cycle before bed OR Beddit/other sleep tracker

I know everyone is different, but I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

I have the Sylvania multicolor LED light that Dave mentions in his podcast (available online or Costco) using red (yellow and amber options too) at night I read or listen to podcasts and its awesome. Candles are great too or halogen bulbs. using f.lux or similar app for android.. easy eyes... can allow use of phone or tablet although id seriously recommend not using unless necessary.

the whole idea of staying away from blue light is to allow natural melatonin production.

id point out that if you are ready for bed after an hour then sounds like your body is ready for sleep.

now if your sleep quality is suffering then id push for less blue light ie the whole 2 hour suggestion, if not then sounds like your on the right path.

meditation is the best option as Jason alludes to, quiet the mind and befriend our self.

• I agree with Jason. 

Spend time with your mind. Alone with it. It's a nice thing. Not setting sleep cycle won't kill you..

There comes a point where things become almost obsessive. .... You want to stay just before that point.

• edited November 2014

You can get the same or almost max results by simply keeping the light out of your eyes. I use a pair of ski goggles designed for low lighting conditions ... that also filter 100% of blue light. They allow me to wear them for 4 hours before sleeping and during sleep (so if I get woken, my eyes don't catch any blue light and ruin my melatonin production.

If you can make your environment pitch black, can take them off for sleep. If you travel a lot that isn't always doable, so in that case it works to simply sleep with them on and put a black ski goggle cover over them to block out all light.

In my experience, intensity of light even if it isnt blue seems to affect this as well. So it works best if I were to avoid all electronic screens during thist ime as well. But, in practice, I find that impractical so I simply view them through the ski goggles so at least the blue light is filtered.

The blue light being filtered yields 90% or more of the results.

Goes best when paired with having time to let the mind calm down before sleep of course. 20m ice cold shower until shaking is recommended. Then night night.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

• You can get the same or almost max results by simply keeping the light out of your eyes. I use a pair of ski goggles designed for low lighting conditions ... that also filter 100% of blue light. They allow me to wear them for 4 hours before sleeping and during sleep (so if I get woken, my eyes don't catch any blue light and ruin my melatonin production.

If you can make your environment pitch black, can take them off for sleep. If you travel a lot that isn't always doable, so in that case it works to simply sleep with them on and put a black ski goggle cover over them to block out all light.

In my experience, intensity of light even if it isnt blue seems to affect this as well. So it works best if I were to avoid all electronic screens during thist ime as well. But, in practice, I find that impractical so I simply view them through the ski goggles so at least the blue light is filtered.

The blue light being filtered yields 90% or more of the results.

Goes best when paired with having time to let the mind calm down before sleep of course. 20m ice cold shower until shaking is recommended. Then night night.

Link to your glasses you recommend?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

• I tend to need to obliterate that point so I can go back and locate where it was. 

There comes a point where things become almost obsessive. .... You want to stay just before that point.

• I tend to need to obliterate that point so I can go back and locate where it was. 

Werd. I tend to ignore that point and take things to the ends of the earth.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.

• Link to your glasses you recommend?

Oakley A-frame ski goggles. Get the ones with a persimmon lens.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited November 2014

When I am tired I don't force myself to stay awake. Especially at work.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file