No More Icing? What Is The Best Bang For Your Recovery Buck...

http://www.tabatatimes.com/de-iced-end-cold-war/

So... if you only have 20 minutes a day to work on your recovery.... is it best to stretch? Foam Roll? or use the Marco Pro?

Comments

• So... if you only have 20 minutes a day to work on your recovery.... is it best to stretch? Foam Roll? or use the Marco Pro?

Kelly Starrett did an hour long interview with the "anti-ice man" from that article a while ago. The gist: ice stops slows or stops inflammation, but in the case of recovery, inflammation is inflow of lymph, which then washes away the damaged tissue so what's left can regenerate properly. Ideally, you'd let it inflame, push out the lymph, let it fill up again, push out out... and cycle that a few times. My understanding is the Marc Pro helps push out the lymph. But, so does compression. Take a cut-open bicycle inner tube, a physical therapy resistance band, or the "voodoo floss bands" that Rogue fitness sells, and tightly wrap below the source of swelling, over the swelling, and the above. Always towards the heart (you don't want to push lymph out to the extremities, you want to push it into the lymphatic system.) Under compression, cycle through your range of motion. Stop after 2 minutes, or sooner if you get numbness or tingling. If you wrapped tight enough, your skin will look like a dead person's for a couple seconds after you first unwrap, then the blood will rush back in. 

So, that's what Kelly would recommend for recovery if you have a specific minor injury / tweak with swelling. If you don't, probably just some foam rolling with intention: not lounging around on the roller, but really attacking any stiff areas. 

• @ACH85..... yeah I saw that video with Kelly Starett... I don't have a specific injury... just looking to recover fast cuz I am trying to train for a 50K in two weeks and a powerlifting meet at the same time ;)

• Kelly Starrett did an hour long interview with the "anti-ice man" from that article a while ago. The gist: ice stops slows or stops inflammation, but in the case of recovery, inflammation is inflow of lymph, which then washes away the damaged tissue so what's left can regenerate properly. Ideally, you'd let it inflame, push out the lymph, let it fill up again, push out out... and cycle that a few times. My understanding is the Marc Pro helps push out the lymph. But, so does compression. Take a cut-open bicycle inner tube, a physical therapy resistance band, or the "voodoo floss bands" that Rogue fitness sells, and tightly wrap below the source of swelling, over the swelling, and the above. Always towards the heart (you don't want to push lymph out to the extremities, you want to push it into the lymphatic system.) Under compression, cycle through your range of motion. Stop after 2 minutes, or sooner if you get numbness or tingling. If you wrapped tight enough, your skin will look like a dead person's for a couple seconds after you first unwrap, then the blood will rush back in. 

So, that's what Kelly would recommend for recovery if you have a specific minor injury / tweak with swelling. If you don't, probably just some foam rolling with intention: not lounging around on the roller, but really attacking any stiff areas.

You know that is sooo... True. I meant the compression. Just 2 days ago. I had this sore on the shoulder, forearm and bicep on my left arm from carrying weight. Then last night. I slept on the couch. With no neck pillow. I've place my sore arm under my neck to act as support.

The a miracle happens. This morning. I though that I've broken my arm. Can't feel it. Doesn't respond to motion. I freak out. I mean I can throw it around and it looks dead. Luckily after few minutes. Blood rushes in and I can move my arm. Again.

And you know what. The soreness and acid pain you had when you go all out on workouts dissipated. I can still feel the pain but not as much as it should.

If this is a new way of recovery? I can skip protein & creatine pig out. Can save lot of money for the coffee instead.
    Bucket list - 6 Pack Abs Before I Die.
  • Sle

http://www.tabatatimes.com/de-iced-end-cold-war/

So... if you only have 20 minutes a day to work on your recovery.... is it best to stretch? Foam Roll? or use the Marco Pro?

Sleep.....

- Dan
    ★彡On the path of optimal health...... B)
    ★"Keeping it real"★
    Love to learn, study and apply Nutrition, Health and Athleticism for a Superhuman Life.

• You know that is sooo... True. I meant the compression. Just 2 days ago. I had this sore on the shoulder, forearm and bicep on my left arm from carrying weight. Then last night. I slept on the couch. With no neck pillow. I've place my sore arm under my neck to act as support.

The a miracle happens. This morning. I though that I've broken my arm. Can't feel it. Doesn't respond to motion. I freak out. I mean I can throw it around and it looks dead. Luckily after few minutes. Blood rushes in and I can move my arm. Again.

I wouldn't sleep like that. The compression is only supposed to go on for 2 minutes, depriving tissues of blood for longer than that is a bad idea. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Guys, what is the deal with a broken toe? My training partner told me to ice it to prevent a huge swelling. I'm getting an X-ray tomorrow to be sure about the situation.

Any suggestions?

Ice, no ice, antiinflammatories or not (if the pain goes too high I will take pain killers which are also antiinflammatories, that's sure)? Compression (if I can do it at all) or not?

The bottle of serrapeptase I ordered five weeks ago (the shoulder injury I had back then healed during its shipping but I wanted to try it anyway) finally arrived so tomorrow I can test it at least.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2014

If you only have 20 minutes a day for recovery, I'd recommend considering reordering your schedule in order to gain more recovery time. If you only have 20 minutes a day for recovery... you mayyyyy be overscheduling your life, and potentially burning out your body & recovery potential.

Rest is AS IMPORTANT, if not MORE IMPORTANT for top level athletic performance, than the actual physical exertion is. 

If you only have 20 minutes a day for recovery.... extend that 20 minutes to 60 minutes, and go spend 60 minutes in a floatation tank. :)

Remember, muscles aren't built when you smash them to pieces. Muscles are built when you REST.

• Do you think Serrapeptase helps?

• Guys, what is the deal with a broken toe? My training partner told me to ice it to prevent a huge swelling. I'm getting an X-ray tomorrow to be sure about the situation.

Any suggestions?

Ice, no ice, antiinflammatories or not (if the pain goes too high I will take pain killers which are also antiinflammatories, that's sure)? Compression (if I can do it at all) or not?

The bottle of serrapeptase I ordered five weeks ago (the shoulder injury I had back then healed during its shipping but I wanted to try it anyway) finally arrived so tomorrow I can test it at least.

Sorry to hear this - I have no experience with broken toes, but sounds painful... I hope you've figured out what to do and are on the road to recovery.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Sorry to hear this - I have no experience with broken toes, but sounds painful... I hope you've figured out what to do and are on the road to recovery.

Thank you, it's actually better than I expected, minimal swelling and pain, they said to tape it to the next toe for three weeks but it should heal faster than that. I hope I can go to a light and careful training next Thursday.

Gave in and took a painkiller + antiinflammatory last evening, iced it one time, and also had a little alcohol because I was concerned that I couldn't sleep but there was no problem. No more drugs, let the inflammation work on it. I have vit C, D, calcium, diat. earth, magnesium, zinc, gelatine, and now serrapeptase, and also a weekend full of resting, so it should be a walk in the park. :D

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• http://www.tabatatimes.com/de-iced-end-cold-war/

You need to read some articles on Cold Thermogenises by Dr.Jack Kruse.

Adapting to the cold is a life changer.