Am I Losing Muscle Or Fat?

Tried bullet proof coffee/intermittent fasting for 2 weeks and weight went from 121.5 to 113.5... I was ecstatic since I have been on a low carb ketogenic diet for over 5 months and hadn't lost anything.....just saw a difference in body fat. My body fat went from 21% to 17%. So I had high hopes my body fat would have gotten better, but no it went up!!!!! I actually gained 1.5lbs and lost over 4lbs of muscle....bringing my body fat up to 19%...(I was in ketosis the entire 2weeks...)

I am currently in a contest at my gym. We are trying to gain muscle and lose fat. I feel like a failure and need advice?! I already ordered the bullet proof book and do feel like David Alspray is a genius...I want to know what to do now. Any thoughts advice?

I do workout 6-7 days a week, I do vary my routine....I am a teacher wake up at 5 hit the gym by 5:30 am or 6am...I have not been eating after I workout... I have been just having my bullet proof coffee and waiting until 1pm to eat and then stopping at 6pm to 7...

I have until December 7th to win this thing...I was hoping to promote the book at my gym! Can you help me?

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

what do your clothes 'say'...what does the mirror 'say'...? do you look like you have lost muscle & gained fat

how are you measuring...could it be with bioimpedance scales...like those by Tanita.

If it is, then the 'state' of your body will matter eg. fasted vs non-fasted, hydration level (water %) etc.

& the water % will likely be influenced by your glycogen levels, so if you start eating less carbs, the scales will likely measure you as having less water % & therefore (using its program) more fat %.

by way of a Tanita body comp scale example,

I have a Tanita body comp scale (model bc 541). my settings are Adult, Male, non-Athlete mode.

The body fat %, water % and muscle kilos will all vary thru the day.

If i weigh myself in a fasted state 1st thing in the morning & then weigh myself in the late afternoon or evening (having eaten, including carbs & hydrated during the day),

i will see the body fat % drop eg. 12.5% to 11.0% (or less), muscle could increase by ~1.5 kg (as if), water % up eg. 60% to 63%.

The variations would probably be greater if the body fat % were higher & could possibly be greater for female vs male.

& if i switch the thing to Athlete mode, it would all change again.

edit:

just did a side by side test of the non-Athlete mode and Athlete mode (which i know is inaccurate for me from when i tested it a few years back),

Here's the results;

time of measurement 6.36 pm (i have eaten...inc carbs);

(Athlete mode readings are listed second);

body fat %: 11.4 % & 5.0 %

muscle kg: 53.7 kg & 57.7 kg

water %: 62.9 % & 65.1 %

(all smoke & mirrors)

fake it till you make it

• Muscle equals strength. Fats equal lack of it. Breathless. Does any of the symtom occurs? If not I think you r OK.
    Bucket list - 6 Pack Abs Before I Die.

• Tried bullet proof coffee/intermittent fasting for 2 weeks and weight went from 121.5 to 113.5... I was ecstatic since I have been on a low carb ketogenic diet for over 5 months and hadn't lost anything.....just saw a difference in body fat. My body fat went from 21% to 17%. So I had high hopes my body fat would have gotten better, but no it went up!!!!! I actually gained 1.5lbs and lost over 4lbs of muscle....bringing my body fat up to 19%...(I was in ketosis the entire 2weeks...)

I am currently in a contest at my gym. We are trying to gain muscle and lose fat. I feel like a failure and need advice?! I already ordered the bullet proof book and do feel like David Alspray is a genius...I want to know what to do now. Any thoughts advice?

I do workout 6-7 days a week, I do vary my routine....I am a teacher wake up at 5 hit the gym by 5:30 am or 6am...I have not been eating after I workout... I have been just having my bullet proof coffee and waiting until 1pm to eat and then stopping at 6pm to 7...

I have until December 7th to win this thing...I was hoping to promote the book at my gym! Can you help me?

What is your workout routine like? Sounds like you're not giving your muscles time to repair then grow. If you want to gain muscle, carb backload with safe starches in the evening but make sure you're lifting very heavy and/or do negatives for short reps. Do the big movements (deadlift, squat, press, etc). Chronic cardio will cause muscle wasting as will not enough recovery. Swing the kettlebell or sprints for fat burn while maintaining muscle. Keep your diet 100% clean. Good luck.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Skye,

Thank you so much for your advice!!! I noticed you wrote a book and just purchased it. Here is my workout schedule:

Workout

Sunday: body pump

Monday: 5:30am spin

Tuesday: yoga

Wednesday: boot camp

Thursday: body pump

Friday: elliptical, bike... Or nothing

Saturday: body pump

I think the reason I lost muscle is I did not eat enough! If I am intermittent fasting how many calories do you recommend within my eating window? What carb/protein/fat ration? I am 5'1 and weigh 113.

Thank you for your advice!! Can't wait to read your book!!!!
  • Maria, you need to be eating protein after you work out. Your body can't go that long w/o eating. It needs energy. I have been using a nutritional cleansing system to build and retain lean muscle mass. I lost 11lbs. of toxic fat, but gained 2lbs of muscle. I have more definition and my workouts have hit a new level. I also don't "fast" but I do cleanse. Feed that body girl! 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Guys, this is a lot of exercise with little recovery options. Watch your energy levels. Also ask yourselves, are you getting results which justify doing this? You may be getting 95% of the results with half the exercise... or perhaps 150% the results with half the exercise.

Mariahnmayer, how are you going to measure body composition? If you are going to use those unreliable scales perhaps look for a way to hack the scales. Sometimes I get the feeling that they reflect the change of moon phases rather than body composition, so play around with them, perhaps you find a way to get out better results from them. They are supposed to measure water levels but they suck at it, they rather seem to just guess body composition based on weight and gender. If you could just set it up as a male instead of female, with nobody noticing, it would show 5-10% less bf%, and you would definitely win, for instance.

But if everyone else has already drank some water and therefore weigh a bit more and you don't drink, you may have an edge just as well. I once measured myself then drank half a liter of water and measured again, and it showed that I gained a pound of fat. :D So if others assume that the more hydrated they are the better, they are up for a surprise.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Skye,

Thank you so much for your advice!!! I noticed you wrote a book and just purchased it. Here is my workout schedule:

Workout

Sunday: body pump

Monday: 5:30am spin

Tuesday: yoga

Wednesday: boot camp

Thursday: body pump

Friday: elliptical, bike... Or nothing

Saturday: body pump

I think the reason I lost muscle is I did not eat enough! If I am intermittent fasting how many calories do you recommend within my eating window? What carb/protein/fat ration? I am 5'1 and weigh 113.

Thank you for your advice!! Can't wait to read your book!!!!

Take a look at what I recommend for gaining lean mass while burning fat above. It's not as much about not eating enough as what you're doing. There's not much in your routine that's going to gain you a bunch of lean muscle. And, if that's the routine, there's not much doubt you have thrown your body into crisis mode, hence the muscle wasting. When we run ourselves into the ground like that, with that kind of long-session exercise repeatedly, our bodies assume we're under threat and go into preservation mode. This is hell on your hormones and so, so, so incredibly stressful to your system. That is way, way too much and no time for your body to rest, heal and grow. Active recovery is just as much a part of your fitness routine as lifting heavy weights and moving explosively for short bursts.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• GreerGreer
    edited January 2015

I have re posted my post on No fail fat burn Thread http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12851-no-fail-fat-burning-for-women/ which is probably the more appropriate place for NFFBFW discussions.