Sleep Cycle Info

Hola

Judging by my sleep cycle application I don't get heaps of time "Deep sleep" and half my nights I won't hit it at all.  How accurate do you think this is and should I be worried/put measures into place to improve sleep.  

I didn't see a 'basics' sick for the sleep section in terms of actionable lists of measures to try.

Any help would be great 

Tagged:

Comments

• Apps based on reading your movement instead of EEG are always going to have some inaccuracies. The annoying part, though, is that you don't know how inaccurate unless you are comparing it to EEG data. But then if you have the EEG, there's no use for the app anymore.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • I seem to get into the 90%+ range on Sleep Cycle when I take 250mg of melatonin and am in the 83-85 range when I don't... is it bad to take Melatonin most nights?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

I seem to get into the 90%+ range on Sleep Cycle when I take 250mg of melatonin and am in the 83-85 range when I don't... is it bad to take Melatonin most nights?

...you meant 250 mcg right?

fake it till you make it

• edited November 2014

Dave's recommendation was to only take melatonin 1-2 nights per week for power sleep and 100mcg being the dose for women.

Examine.com and other more mainstream things say it's non-addictive and can be taken nightly and at higher doses.

Personally, I've seen plenty field reports from people who got addicted to it (after years of high-dose, nightly usage) and had to slowly come off of it. So I just stick to 1-2 nights per week and a low dose ... even if the medical profession seems to think long-term usage is a good idea.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Sorry to turn this into a melatonin thread but yeah, the general recommendation from holistic Doc's are to take it only as needed.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Melatonin= AS NEEDED... well, if I get 90-98% SLEEP quality with it and 80-83% without it.... wouldn't it be better to take it?

• im no expert but i believe that melatonin should be used sparingly because constant use could inhibit you natural melatonin production.

• im no expert but i believe that melatonin should be used sparingly because constant use could inhibit you natural melatonin production.

I concur...also not an expert.

I prefer the light hacks personally

...phenibut was great but same problems can arise imo.

• Melatonin= AS NEEDED... well, if I get 90-98% SLEEP quality with it and 80-83% without it.... wouldn't it be better to take it?

It seems to suppress your body's natural production over time. This creates the dynamic where it's now *required* to sleep instead of a bonus. Because your body will be producing less. You start needing ascending doses to keep it as a bonus. Any time you try to come off of it, you can't sleep. Breaking the body's addiction means gradually taking less over time so it can recover but you can still sleep. Not a nice experience, though.

Notably, it does seem to take quite a while for the physical addiction to become a problem, but it's still best to just take it infrequently. Although, if I really needed power sleep for a week or two, I'd probably take it nightly, and just be sure to take a week or two off afterward. It seems that the addiction wouldn't become a big problem during such a short time period, but then again, as a bio-hacker, I tend to have a much higher risk tolerance.

• I concur...also not an expert.

I prefer the light hacks personally

...phenibut was great but same problems can arise imo.

Yeah phenibut is FAR worse. The addiction can set in within a few days. And some people never recover from it fully. I've seen a lot of really nasty field reports surrounding phenibut usage. Personally, I'd stick to one night every week or two maximum. It just isn't worth the risks of phenibut.

The same is true of any GABA agonist, however. Some just cause a down-regulation of endogenous GABA production faster than others (phenibut being probably the worst).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file