Egg Whites - A Raw Dilema

Some recipes in Upgraded Chef call for whole uncooked eggs, but research shoes uncooked egg whites are bad for you because of avidin. Anyone "pro" raw eggwhites? Or completely sans except cooked? Or do you avoid them all together and just buy them for the yolks?

Comments

• If you have enough biotin in your diet the avidin shouldn't be a problem, provided you aren't eating excessive amounts of egg white. Eating the entire raw egg with the yolk gives you the biotin.

I was a little concerned about the possibility of salmonella from eating raw eggs, even though the chance is slim. I found a particular brand of egg called Davidson's Safest Choice, (http://www.safeeggs.com) which are pasteurized in shell. I take 2 of these whole eggs raw a day.
  • 'jory' wrote:

Some recipes in Upgraded Chef call for whole uncooked eggs, but research shoes uncooked egg whites are bad for you because of avidin. Anyone "pro" raw eggwhites? Or completely sans except cooked? Or do you avoid them all together and just buy them for the yolks?

I consume raw egg whites daily.

According to Answer Fitness: "A 2002 study by U.S. Department of Agriculture found that the risk of egg-borne salmonella was less than previously thought. The USDA study found that of the 69 billion eggs produced each year in the U.S., only 2.3 million are contaminated with salmonella. That's 1 in every 30,000 eggs!"

That more than makes up for the oxidation and denaturation of fats and proteins in the cooking process. It is a risk that I am comfortable taking and the eggs I buy are from pastured, free range chickens.
  • @cylack said:
    If you have enough biotin in your diet the avidin shouldn't be a problem, provided you aren't eating excessive amounts of egg white. Eating the entire raw egg with the yolk gives you the biotin.

I was a little concerned about the possibility of salmonella from eating raw eggs, even though the chance is slim. I found a particular brand of egg called Davidson's Safest Choice, (http://www.safeeggs.com) which are pasteurized in shell. I take 2 of these whole eggs raw a day.

I know this is an old thread, but I have to comment. If the eggs are pasteurized, they are not raw--even if you are not cooking them, they were pasteurized, which applies heat to them, albeit in the shell and not to the point of fully cooking them. Anything pasteurized is par-cooked, thus not raw.