Starting Off Slow?

I just became aware of this diet and read through a lot of the blog and comments over the past few days. I'd like to give it a try because it all makes sense to me, but it also seems pretty overwhelming, so I would like to start off slow. I read on one of the pages that simply adding grass-fed butter to your diet is a good start. Then I'll start making other changes according to that list of 14 steps to become bulletproof, but in the meantime, I'd like some feedback on some other things.

I haven't been to the doctor in a while because I've been healthy and don't really think doctors are all that helpful unless you're seriously sick or wounded, but I'm planning to go soon and have a bloodtest done. I'm mostly concerned with what it will say about my blood sugar because when I don't eat for long periods of time, I feel very weak and sick and in the past have passed out because of it. As soon as I get sugar in my system (orange juice or something), I feel better. Since I know this is an issue, I try eat consistently throughout the day, small amounts, just to keep myself going. This is one reason I don't think I'll be doing the intermittent fasting, another being I don't drink coffee and when I had a full cup of coffee with butter and MCT yesterday, I felt shaky and bad like I do when I don't eat.

Today I tried butter in white tea, mainly as a taste test. It was not great, but when I added a piece of 70% Lindt chocolate (all I had on hand), it was pretty good. Would drinking this every morning be good for me whether I use it to fast or not? Also I would like to know what else I should be looking for when I have bloodwork done, and should I be asking for specific tests, or what?

I'm interested in this diet not specifically for weight loss, I don't care much about weight, but I'd like to lose some belly fat if possible. If I start adding grass-fed butter to my diet and don't make any other changes (yet), will I likely gain weight? I ask because I'm about to start 9-hour shifts at a store in a mall, only for the holiday season, and I won't have access to particularly healthy food. Normally, I eat a bowl of cereal (with half a banana) for breakfast, then I bring a turkey sandwich (on bread w/ sprouted grains which I now know is not good), an apple and a fruit cup of mandarin oranges which usually lasts me a few hours before I feel like I need to eat again. Sometimes I'll get a chicken taco (and throw away the tortilla) if I'm hungry, before dinner, which is usually chicken and some kind of starch and a vegetable (broccoli/carrots). This has been working for me for a long time. I'm trying to think of anything that would fit into this diet which would be as easy and portable. The idea of snacking on a stick of butter is unappetizing (and would get me lots of weird looks), and chocolate is good, but isn't equivalent to a protein bar for me. I feel like I need a lot of protein to feel good. I eat greek yogurt sometimes as a snack, but most of the stuff I used to consider a healthy snack (besides raw almonds yay) is on the bad side of the food charts on this site.

So what do you recommend if all I have access to for lunch/dinner is mall food? Any other pointers for someone just starting out?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't eat eggs. I don't like them in any shape or form and the idea of eating runny egg yolks is beyond gross to me. Any feedback about anything I have mentioned would be helpful. I'm obviously not ready to commit to a new diet 100% yet, but I am open to getting there eventually. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Thank you. You are absolutely right about this blood sugar issue controlling my mind and body. I'd never thought of it that way before, that the foods I am eating cause me to feel that way, instead of treating some underlying issue I assumed I had. I'm taking your advice and finding something new to eat for breakfast. I've looked at too many paleo recipes to count this past week and it's really opened my eyes. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I will keep you posted with how it's going.
  • 'Kim' wrote:

I'm obviously not ready to commit to a new diet 100% yet ...

Really? Haha image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

No but seriously I think you'll get there eventually, just update yourself in the subject as much as you can. Its good to know why you do the things you do on the BP diet
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • The most active forum crawler says it best. Thanks Mr. Suntoucher. Follow his link below. I've been introducing friends that are familiar with Paleo to this diet. This is the first thing I have them read. I know how you feel with the information overload. Read, research, feedback when you can. You should listen to the Podcast as well.

-> Make sure you rate the podcast, so others will become familiar with the content. <- Best of luck, it's nearly as hard as you think it is.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1232-bulletproof-notes-cheat-sheet/
    I aspire to inspire.