Best Earthing Device?

Hi.

I am planning on buying an earthing device. However, which one should I choose? It's a plus if it  has a money back guarantee.

Comments

• What about going barefoot on the earth?
  • I have really enjoyed these products. Sleeping with the recovery kit is amazing.

http://www.earthing.com/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

• I'm sure you meant this as tongue and cheek but it's freezing in most of the US right now

What about going barefoot on the earth?

• If you're looking to be very low cost the cold water pipe of most houses (especially older houses) is a great source to ground from.  You can wrap some copper wire around that and connect it to an anti-static bracelet and wear that while you sleep.  This whole set up costs about $15 and grounds your body in a very safe way.  

If you live in a newer house or apartment and trust the electrical wiring to a very high degree you can buy a plug that only inserts into the grounded outlet and connect that to the anti-static bracelet with some wire as well.  Please be cautious of plugging into the grounding outlet if you are not very confident in your wiring systems.  This is a good way to shock yourself. Potentially while you're asleep and won't be alert enough to stop it quickly. 

• I built the above described devices a few years ago before there were many grounding options.  You can now buy a finished product that is just what I described cheaper than the parts at Fry's.  The "Small Body Band Kit"  currently on sale for $20 for 2 seems great.

• Here's the thing, only reliable way to do earthing is to go barefoot on earth/snow/water, preferably at a park or beach, away from any electrical utility activity. You can also wear conductive footwear or install conductive "grounding plugs" into the soles of your shoes.

I am not an electrician or electrical engineer, but according to someone who is, the electrical/grounding system in your house, and even the ground immediately outside your home in an urban environment, could actually be "contaminated" with stray voltage due to various wiring errors or even standard electrical utility practices. Basically, and I know this will sound inflammatory to some, but "grounding" in your home could be counter-productive.

If you can actually test for stray voltage, and find a clean spot of ground somewhere in your yard, and actually install a grounding rod/wire (which they do sell), then the earthing tools could be really good. But just taking the shortcut and "plugging in" through the outlets could be a very very bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PxA0ZAP-t4

Documented difference in RF between using a grounding rod and using the outlet/electrical system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBDDsnTjrA

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Here's the thing, only reliable way to do earthing is to go barefoot on earth/snow/water,....

i've been trying to learn to walk barefoot on water...but i keep sinking!

( ...sorry, i couldn't help myself :) )

fake it till you make it

• i've been trying to learn to walk barefoot on water...but i keep sinking!

( ...sorry, i couldn't help myself :) )

Would barefooted water skiing earth you?
  • Already done a thread on earthing bits I used. Pillow is the latest and best.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5614-earthing-yourself-multimeter-test-application/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• JamesJames
    edited March 2015

The thread linked above by Kato is the best earthing thread I've seen online.  Using a multimeter has improved my understanding of grounding and electricity in general.  

TL;DR of earthing:

(1) Test your outlet or earthing rod to ensure it (and you) is properly grounded.

(2) Buy an earthing pillow case because bracelets are annoying.

(3) Enjoy effortless earthing for as long as you like.

• edited March 2015

Here's the thing, only reliable way to do earthing is to go barefoot on earth/snow/water, preferably at a park or beach, away from any electrical utility activity. You can also wear conductive footwear or install conductive "grounding plugs" into the soles of your shoes.

I am not an electrician or electrical engineer, but according to someone who is, the electrical/grounding system in your house, and even the ground immediately outside your home in an urban environment, could actually be "contaminated" with stray voltage due to various wiring errors or even standard electrical utility practices. Basically, and I know this will sound inflammatory to some, but "grounding" in your home could be counter-productive.

If you can actually test for stray voltage, and find a clean spot of ground somewhere in your yard, and actually install a grounding rod/wire (which they do sell), then the earthing tools could be really good. But just taking the shortcut and "plugging in" through the outlets could be a very very bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PxA0ZAP-t4

Documented difference in RF between using a grounding rod and using the outlet/electrical system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBDDsnTjrA

For starters, I'm definitely an advocate of earthing.

There seems to be alot of validity to this post, at least in my very recent experience.  I've been earthing exclusively from my home's grounding system for the past 6 months(give or take)...and I now have diagnosed issues with both legs/circluation. My issues began a few weeks after grounding for first time. I have been (just two weeks ago) diagnosed with vein reflux in both legs.(read: "vein disease", varicose legs, etc, etc)  I've got shooting pain, cramps and alot of pressure in both calfs(calves? :))   

I've made the connection to earthing by testing. Went earthing-free for the first time in months starting last week.  Pain went away.  Went into work office just today for first time in a bit(I usually work from home) which has a mat under the keyboard and mouse, and within two hours, my legs started firing up.  Unplugged mat and pain went away within 30 mins.

I'd put a large amount of money that my issue is directly contributed to flaws in my home and office's grounding systems. I'm no electrician, but the connection, for me, is as plain as day.

I've emailed the earthing institute for giggles to see if they have any feedback on my experience.

I plan on buying an earthing rod and trying one more time at home to see/compare.

Or maybe I'm just a one-off SOL SOB.    

Very frustrated/disappointed with my issues, because I've noticed may benefits otherwise.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    in the 'old days' the cold water pipes were/are grounded and could/can be used as earthing points (assuming metal pipes).

Don't know if this is still the case today tho.

Probably just applies to houses where the metal cold water pipes run directly in to the soil...?

fake it till you make it

• Booger - Have you tested your outlets to ensure they are properly grounded?  If so was that testing with an outlet tester (a specific device made exclusively for testing outlets with 3 indicator lights and a series of codes to tell you how the outlet is functioning) or a multimeter or some other device?

What were your initial symptoms like in the first few weeks that allowed you to continue grounding for another 5 months?  I don't mean that question to be insulting but if someone else experiences a similar issue after a few weeks they may wish to do some more diagnostics before continuing to ground themselves until they have a more significant issue.

• Booger - Have you tested your outlets to ensure they are properly grounded?  If so was that testing with an outlet tester (a specific device made exclusively for testing outlets with 3 indicator lights and a series of codes to tell you how the outlet is functioning) or a multimeter or some other device?

What were your initial symptoms like in the first few weeks that allowed you to continue grounding for another 5 months?  I don't mean that question to be insulting but if someone else experiences a similar issue after a few weeks they may wish to do some more diagnostics before continuing to ground themselves until they have a more significant issue.

Yes,  most of the kits from earthing.com come with the outlet tester;  and all outlets I've ever used were tested prior to plugging in.  The benefits I noticed within the first few weeks(which illicited my desire to continue), were improved sleep and a general relaxing effect it had on me whilst working. I work in a high pace/high stress work environment, and earthing seemed to mellow me out without need for medication.  

At the onset of my leg/vascular issues, I did not attribute it to earthing. I can assure you, if I had, I would have unplugged immediately, and forgone the aforementioned early benefits in favor of having my blood flow appropriately through my lower extremeties :)

It wasn't until the issue became worse(within the last month or so), that I put it together.   To reiterate, now that I'm unplugged, my legs feel SO much better...to the point where I've considered canceling my vein surgery two weeks from now.

Revisiting the issue: though the grounding systems of both buildings had tested just fine with the "tester", I've read that there could still be junk traveling through the ground connection in any given home. While I'm no electrician(and have probably only read/researched enough to just be "dangerous"),I'm comfortable erring on the side of caution, rather than making my specific health issue worse.

I still plan on running an actual grounding rod from my backyard into the house- rather than using the house's grounding system.  For anyone reading this thread that have done the same- did you place your grounding rod near your house, or away from it?  My only concern is in regards to lawnmowers :)

• Before I got into grounding myself I did a significant amount of home repair including helping a friend properly ground his very old house's electrical system.  We dug a small trench about 6" deep, 8" wide and 5' long in order to properly ground his house.  We drove approximately 5' lengths of rebar (available at home depot) deep into the ground and then used an extra piece so that the top of the rebar was about 6" below the typical surface of the yard.  Using clamps and some very heavy wire we connected each section of rebar to the next so that there was essentially a line of rebar connected by copper wire spaced out  heading away from his house with the closest piece of rebar being very close to the house and under his electrical panel.  After backfilling and letting the grass grow there is no danger of running anything over with a lawnmower, there is just a heavily insulated wire that comes up from the ground right next to the foundation of the house and attaches to the rest of the panel. 

This has worked for him for several years and is how I intend to make my own grounding rod when I live in a house again. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file